Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Anyway why don't u wanna kill shark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 3

Opopanax (4): AnonymousNarcotics, Tea Party Crasher, shwinnebego, hambeet
Tired Moritz (2): shwinnebego, shwinnebego, wologar, Zoya
shwinnebego (1): Monathin, wologar, wologar, Zoya, hambeet, Zoya, hambeet, Opopanax, Monathin
Monathin (1): shwinnebego, shwinnebego, sharkmafia
Cloacamazing! (1): Tired Moritz, shwinnebego, shwinnebego
sharkmafia (1): Monathin
Zoya (0): shwinnebego, shwinnebego

Not Voting (2): Cloacamazing!, GulagDolls

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is March 23rd, 2024 at 6 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 16 hours, 55 minutes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

wologar posted:

Hi Moritz. Are you scum?

Nope.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

i dunno how it's possible but everyone that's posted in the last like page and a half is scum all your posts are stinky as poo poo

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Here, let's do some active detective work.

Votefinder just posted so that saves me some thread space: That's the votes as they currently stand.

Let's rewind a bit, in fact, let's rewind exactly two votes: My vote on shark, and shark's vote on me. So let's make that no votes on me (Shark, as we can see, hasn't voted at all today before the vote on me), and shwinn being at 2 instead of 1.

sharkmafia posted:

yes i think he is lazy town rather than scum and an easy target. was that not obvious

i dont super like the train running on him and some people seem down to get mona instead so lets do it ##vote monathin

This post claims that "some people seem down to get mona". As far as I can tell reading the thread, the only person that has been relatively on my case today is Shwinn. "Some people" is in fact one person.

Where have shark's other votes been, chronologically speaking?

sharkmafia posted:

It would be funny if that were the case and i want to live in that reality. Let's do it ##vote tpc

Middle of the pack wagon vote on TPC after Keats' vig. Wins even pointed it out in the moment:

wins32767 posted:

These are bad, scummy votes.

Notably after a glib shot back to wins sharkmafia ducks out of the thread as the wagon seems to be slowing down (largely because Keats' logic is full of holes). They come back to try and drum up some topics around TPC and Anarc as a way of discussing scum captains (which I still think is a stupid idea to entertain, and not actually helpful, and they entertained it pretty extensively).

And that's... all of their voting for Day 1! They stay on TPC until death cob is hammered. Now, notably, shark was the only other person (other than myself) who was on TPC. Everyone else was on Cob or Salad, one of which was scum and one of which was town.

At that point we get into day 2, and the weird flailing they did based on wins' light pressure of them, which I will relink starting from wins' post here, so people can view it in the light of wins' flip if they haven't already:

wins32767 posted:

Shark, you haven't voted yet today, who is scum?

After that we get a lot of talk about their own meta, which is capped off by this:

sharkmafia posted:

anyway here's some actual mafia play, starting NOW

I kind of agree that opop has been acting suspicious. pseudo-meta read: opop just watched me lose a game of mafia because i got pocketed by a scum i believed was my 'friend,' after spending most of the game hard defending another scum i had a wrong investigation on. I think there is a possibility that opop sees me as an easy mark now

Which is really weird when you think about shark's current read of me being suspicious and opop being genuine! It eventually leads to a vote on opop, which, hrm... what did votefinder look like around there, anyway?

votefinder posted:

Votecount for Day 2

saladscooper (5): wologar, Zoya, wologar, Zoya, AnonymousNarcotics, wologar, shwinnebego, Cloacamazing!, shwinnebego, Tired Moritz, shwinnebego
shwinnebego (3): Monathin, GulagDolls, Opopanax
Opopanax (2): sharkmafia, Tea Party Crasher
Tea Party Crasher (2): wins32767, wologar, Zoya, wologar
AnonymousNarcotics (1): saladscooper, shwinnebego, shwinnebego
sharkmafia (0): wologar, Tea Party Crasher, wologar, Tea Party Crasher

Not Voting (1): hambeet

With 14 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is March 20th, 2024 at 6:04 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 7 hours, 21 minutes.

Okay, this takes some reverse-engineering:
- TM hadn't voted yet, so that puts salad at 4.
- Opop had not yet voted shwinn, so shwinn was at 2.
- Salad had not yet voted Anarc, so Anarc was at 0.
- TPC had not yet voted Opop, so Opop was at 1 (and Shark was also at 1, as that was TPC's previous vote)
- Clo had not yet voted salad, so salad is at 3.

So all that put together is salad 3/shwinn 2/TPC 2/Shark 1, when Shark decided to vote Opop.

This is making me at least a little suspect: shark, instead of looking into other cases vote trains, decided to introduce another vote that didn't have a whole lot of traction compared to the vote leader at the time.

sharkmafia posted:

i read the thread now and i find the saladscooper case profoundly unconvincing

it seems like shwinn has a vibe read which is fine and makes me think he's town but i ain't votin this

Just wanna highlight the lol at having caught up and having a more staunch opinion on salad (who flipped scum) than shwinn

sharkmafia posted:

i think opop is a better idea but i don't have any particular attachment to salad being not dead so go off

No hard feelings about salad but doesn't vote there, day ends with shark on Opop.

We then come to Day 3, and shark... hold on, shark still wants to kill opop?

sharkmafia posted:

not to mention commenting on how it feels to play town versus scum on day 3

i dunno man i voted opop yesterday and those posts make me want to kill him

This comes after my whole spiel about what the numbers are! But, as we should all be aware, shark turns around and posts this:

sharkmafia posted:

Disagree entirely actually

Nothing something says in those posts is particularly insightful imo. It all seems fairly obvious to me

I'm not sure yet if posting that many words about the setup makes monathin scum but I actually like that opop didn't give it the time of day, instead focusing on scumhunting, however ineffective

These are two separate reads shark has put together of the same incident, and here's why: shark needs a reason to place their vote nowhere close to where other people are voting. Day 1 they ended it on TPC without changing it. Day 2 they hemmed and hawwed about the salad vote but didn't vote there. And Day 3, now, they vote me instead of the vote leader, Opop, who theoretically they wanted to kill up until the exact moment they saw potential in planting their vote somewhere where it would go unnoticed.

It is active lurking. It is fake engagement. Shark is scum.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

There's ya goddamn effortpost ya fuckin' jackals

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Monathin posted:

Here, let's do some active detective work.

Votefinder just posted so that saves me some thread space: That's the votes as they currently stand.

Let's rewind a bit, in fact, let's rewind exactly two votes: My vote on shark, and shark's vote on me. So let's make that no votes on me (Shark, as we can see, hasn't voted at all today before the vote on me), and shwinn being at 2 instead of 1.

This post claims that "some people seem down to get mona". As far as I can tell reading the thread, the only person that has been relatively on my case today is Shwinn. "Some people" is in fact one person.

Where have shark's other votes been, chronologically speaking?

Middle of the pack wagon vote on TPC after Keats' vig. Wins even pointed it out in the moment:

Notably after a glib shot back to wins sharkmafia ducks out of the thread as the wagon seems to be slowing down (largely because Keats' logic is full of holes). They come back to try and drum up some topics around TPC and Anarc as a way of discussing scum captains (which I still think is a stupid idea to entertain, and not actually helpful, and they entertained it pretty extensively).

And that's... all of their voting for Day 1! They stay on TPC until death cob is hammered. Now, notably, shark was the only other person (other than myself) who was on TPC. Everyone else was on Cob or Salad, one of which was scum and one of which was town.

At that point we get into day 2, and the weird flailing they did based on wins' light pressure of them, which I will relink starting from wins' post here, so people can view it in the light of wins' flip if they haven't already:

After that we get a lot of talk about their own meta, which is capped off by this:

Which is really weird when you think about shark's current read of me being suspicious and opop being genuine! It eventually leads to a vote on opop, which, hrm... what did votefinder look like around there, anyway?

Okay, this takes some reverse-engineering:
- TM hadn't voted yet, so that puts salad at 4.
- Opop had not yet voted shwinn, so shwinn was at 2.
- Salad had not yet voted Anarc, so Anarc was at 0.
- TPC had not yet voted Opop, so Opop was at 1 (and Shark was also at 1, as that was TPC's previous vote)
- Clo had not yet voted salad, so salad is at 3.

So all that put together is salad 3/shwinn 2/TPC 2/Shark 1, when Shark decided to vote Opop.

This is making me at least a little suspect: shark, instead of looking into other cases vote trains, decided to introduce another vote that didn't have a whole lot of traction compared to the vote leader at the time.

Just wanna highlight the lol at having caught up and having a more staunch opinion on salad (who flipped scum) than shwinn

No hard feelings about salad but doesn't vote there, day ends with shark on Opop.

We then come to Day 3, and shark... hold on, shark still wants to kill opop?

This comes after my whole spiel about what the numbers are! But, as we should all be aware, shark turns around and posts this:

These are two separate reads shark has put together of the same incident, and here's why: shark needs a reason to place their vote nowhere close to where other people are voting. Day 1 they ended it on TPC without changing it. Day 2 they hemmed and hawwed about the salad vote but didn't vote there. And Day 3, now, they vote me instead of the vote leader, Opop, who theoretically they wanted to kill up until the exact moment they saw potential in planting their vote somewhere where it would go unnoticed.

i didn't read this post but i think monathin must be town

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

true ##vote sharkmafia
sorry y'all i've been out of sorts irl. i'll be sure to remedy my behavior by posting .00002 more times every day

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

GulagDolls posted:

true ##vote sharkmafia
sorry y'all i've been out of sorts irl. i'll be sure to remedy my behavior by posting .00002 more times every day

hmmmm

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

shwinnebego posted:

Yes and the correct move is to simply turbo monathin, the scummiest scum, but here we are

For some reason I feel like only the dumbasses are posting today and all the non dumbasses are lurking. Clever non-dumbasses, always getting one over on us.

fuckin burn on me i guess. ouch.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tea Party Crasher posted:

it wasn't obvious actually that's why I kept asking you stuff. It's not a good look that the way that you phrase this explicitly states that you are doing it to defend opop lol

i actually am refreshed by the honesty behind it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

shwinnebego posted:

and no i will not be being good at mafia this game because (1) i do not have that capability and (2) heavy is the head who wears the

:ohdear: can someone check on shwinney he stopped mid post!!

now i will never learn what heavy item they have on their head?!??!?!!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

some pretty good shark posting by monathin.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Tea Party Crasher posted:

it wasn't obvious actually that's why I kept asking you stuff. It's not a good look that the way that you phrase this explicitly states that you are doing it to defend opop lol

yeah no poo poo that's what i said

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

sorry, did you think i didn't mean to say that? that is explicitly what I said i was doing. because I don't think he's scum

feel free to quote this post again and say how you think 'it looks bad' that i 'phrased it this way' if you still dont get it

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

wow shark, you seem really defensive about opop. not a good look imo.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:v:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I will admit I have felt reluctant to vote sharkmaf as someone relatively new to this mafia community, but Mona's case is fairly convincing.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Monathin posted:

so what this case boils down to is 'shark is scummy because he changed his mind about opop'

i did do that, yes. it's because I feel that opop is posting like lazy town rather than scum for the reasons described, and 'being suspicious of opop because he was doing nice to me' was always a fairly weak case anyway

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

It's not just that you changed your mind on opop, it's that you changed your mind on opop, specifically, on a day where opop was getting traction, and only did so after they were getting traction.

Your votes are the scummier part: You are making a concerted effort to place a bare minimum number of votes, and only place them in spots where they aren't going to come to anything. You literally attempted to paper over shwinn's OMGUS of me as "some people want to vote monathin" and tried to throw your vote there (after shwinn had already hopped off me, i might add! I had no votes at the time you voted me!), and probably would have been perfectly fine if that vote didn't go anywhere.

The pattern of your votes is you don't want to be anywhere that could believably cause people to want to case you. You even straight up avoided hammering salad when he was at -1. Now, sure, not every towny needs to be on every vote, but your voting speaks to how little you're trying to let your alignment show. It's overly self-conscious and calculated to have as little impact as possible.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Monathin posted:

also: why would i care about doing this

voting for the main elimination target and voting for your own opinion (i do this a lot) are alignment agonostic independent of flips. so what if i haven't been on the main vote targets? I didn't like them and thought they were stupid. you have established a pattern here without actually articulating a scummy reason why that pattern should exist.

what makes my votes and vote reasons 'active lurking' and what actually is even 'active lurking?' why is my engagement 'fake?' Did you not like my vote reasons? You've put this assertion at the end of your long-rear end post without establishing any sort of throughline as to why that should be the case.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Monathin posted:

It's not just that you changed your mind on opop, it's that you changed your mind on opop, specifically, on a day where opop was getting traction, and only did so after they were getting traction.

Your votes are the scummier part: You are making a concerted effort to place a bare minimum number of votes, and only place them in spots where they aren't going to come to anything. You literally attempted to paper over shwinn's OMGUS of me as "some people want to vote monathin" and tried to throw your vote there (after shwinn had already hopped off me, i might add! I had no votes at the time you voted me!), and probably would have been perfectly fine if that vote didn't go anywhere.

The pattern of your votes is you don't want to be anywhere that could believably cause people to want to case you. You even straight up avoided hammering salad when he was at -1. Now, sure, not every towny needs to be on every vote, but your voting speaks to how little you're trying to let your alignment show. It's overly self-conscious and calculated to have as little impact as possible.

frankly i'm getting mighty tired of people making poo poo up about how i play scum, entirely because they've never seen me play scum

I don't give a poo poo whether someone could potentially case me because I was on the vote for a town or whatever. it doesn't matter. I place my votes exactly where I want to place them.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

it's my understanding that every time sharkmafia plays scum he pees on the floor a little bit, big scumtell

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

also yes i am aware that people have recourse but to judge my play as best they can, given a lack of information. it's not really their fault. i just find it very annoying when people suggest that i'd make decisions based on something i 100% do not care about

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

sharkmafia posted:

what makes my votes and vote reasons 'active lurking' and what actually is even 'active lurking?' why is my engagement 'fake?' Did you not like my vote reasons? You've put this assertion at the end of your long-rear end post without establishing any sort of throughline as to why that should be the case.

They are active lurking because you are putting them places where they have no traction. You are not actually trying to convince other people of your opinions, you are just laying down a vote, calling it your opinion, and then peacing out. You don't change your vote, your attempt to dig into other cases is one example where you hilariously glaze over what would end up being a scum flip.

They are fake because they only exist to give the illusion that you are a towny actively trying to vote out scum, when you have consistently over the past 3 days voted only for low or no-vote targets instead of attempting to engage any arguments around the vote leaders.

sharkmafia posted:

frankly i'm getting mighty tired of people making poo poo up about how i play scum, entirely because they've never seen me play scum

I don't give a poo poo whether someone could potentially case me because I was on the vote for a town or whatever. it doesn't matter. I place my votes exactly where I want to place them.

I don't need to know your scum game to know a forced voting pattern when I see it. Again: A single vote each day, engaging the thread without necessarily changing where you've voted, and changing your mind about opop specifically to cast shade on me and leave your vote where, again, it's not going to matter.

I don't need to know your scum meta, shark, I know scum behavior, and that's the scummiest voting pattern I've seen in a hot minute.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Zoya posted:

I don't need to know your scum game to know a forced voting pattern when I see it. Again: A single vote each day, engaging the thread without necessarily changing where you've voted, and changing your mind about opop specifically to cast shade on me and leave your vote where, again, it's not going to matter.

I don't need to know your scum meta, shark, I know scum behavior, and that's the scummiest voting pattern I've seen in a hot minute.

hey buddy i think it's a little early to say that that vote isn't going to matter

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm going to bed, people can continue to engage with it if they want but I feel pretty confident on my case here. I don't need to convince shark that they're scum.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

sharkmafia posted:

hey buddy i think it's a little early to say that that vote isn't going to matter

nah

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Monathin posted:

I'm going to bed, people can continue to engage with it if they want but I feel pretty confident on my case here. I don't need to convince shark that they're scum.

you actually do need to convince me of this

it might be a little difficult but by definition, i need to be convinced of something i do not believe

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

also i have no idea why that quote up there says 'zoya' sorry zoya

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

the one thing monathin is actually right about is that i've been lazy as hell this game and pretty disengaged. which is the actual culprit. its laughable to assert that scum would be particularly afraid of being on the main vote target

Monathin posted:

They are active lurking because you are putting them places where they have no traction. You are not actually trying to convince other people of your opinions, you are just laying down a vote, calling it your opinion, and then peacing out. You don't change your vote, your attempt to dig into other cases is one example where you hilariously glaze over what would end up being a scum flip.

there was very little to that case and I absolutely stand by my opinion on it. the fact that he actually flipped scum has no bearing on this whatsoever

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Actually one more shot from bed:

sharkmafia posted:

you actually do need to convince me of this

it might be a little difficult but by definition, i need to be convinced of something i do not believe

Nah, I need to convince other people you're scum. Even if I have you dead to rights (which I think I do), you'll deny you're scum.

Really, what you need to do is convince me, or everyone else, that you're not scum. Preferably by, y'know, hunting scum.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Monathin posted:

Actually one more shot from bed:

Nah, I need to convince other people you're scum. Even if I have you dead to rights (which I think I do), you'll deny you're scum.

Really, what you need to do is convince me, or everyone else, that you're not scum. Preferably by, y'know, hunting scum.

i was being sarcastic

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'll choose to believe in shark this time

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Despite all my rage I’m still just a shark in a cage

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

sharkmafia posted:

i didn't post this :confuoot:

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Zoya posted:

i didn't post this :confuoot:

yeah i already mentioned how i don't know how that happened

please ignore the yellow quote

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

sharkmafia posted:

also i have no idea why that quote up there says 'zoya' sorry zoya

evidence of your floorpissing treachery, no doubt

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

i'm mainly taking unsubstantive shots here because frankly as annoyed as i am about it, monathin is mostly right

not about me being scum or my cases not being genuine, but about me not really giving a poo poo and dropping a vote then peacing out. i have been loving useless this game

if people decide to kill me for that i understand i guess. you probably shouldn't if you want to win though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
From my experience, when two people are spewing words at each other, high chance that both of them are town

I rather vote oppo or Schwinne