Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Happy Birthday mate! Hope its good birthday and some good weed. I'm lying in bed with the flu. So going to join you all in THC altered states and watch Formula 1 and then football and then road house.

Sorry man, my son’s been wrecked lately, the daughter shook it off quick tho. The boy has asthma but this lasted too long and his nose and cough stuff wasn’t going away. We took him in and of all things they said it’s strep, I’ve never heard of it presenting that way. He’s on antibiotics so hope it clears up. Before we knew what it was last Sunday I popped a 101 fever, bad neck pain and slept a couple days came out fine. Strep scares the hell out of me cause I had spinal meningitis when I was around 2, so for whatever reason I was told if I caught strep again it could lead to seizures or something along those lines. Mebbe fizz or another doc goon knows more about that stuff. But hey we got weed haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pain of Mind posted:

Kiki's Delivery or something like that? Like every other time I put a movie on, she wandered off and I did not pay attention so it is like it was never watched at all.

If your kid is getting into anime Studio Ghibli is probably the absolute best possibility in terms of being a parent that has a kid that wants them to watch it with them.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Sorry man, my son’s been wrecked lately, the daughter shook it off quick tho. The boy has asthma but this lasted too long and his nose and cough stuff wasn’t going away. We took him in and of all things they said it’s strep, I’ve never heard of it presenting that way. He’s on antibiotics so hope it clears up. Before we knew what it was last Sunday I popped a 101 fever, bad neck pain and slept a couple days came out fine. Strep scares the hell out of me cause I had spinal meningitis when I was around 2, so for whatever reason I was told if I caught strep again it could lead to seizures or something along those lines. Mebbe fizz or another doc goon knows more about that stuff. But hey we got weed haha

Oh man, I'm sorry your younguns have been crook. That must be a special kind of poo poo as a parent to watch em having a rough time. Hope they're back being terrors soon. I'll be all good in a couple days. Got some good food and pretty relaxed. At least I have the only good weather QLD has right now. 73 degrees, nice breeze, sunset and flyinnnnnnn

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

a sexual elk posted:

Asthma can be such a bitch and pop up at the worst times. My younger son has very infrequent asthma but he was sparring in taekwondo and took a kick to the chest and spent the next 10 minutes gasping for breath while I rubbed his back despite the albuterol

Poor kid also took a kick to the face from his older brother in sparring class today from his 5'11 175 lb brother (13 years old wtf is up with this kid I have created) that split his lip

Strep results in tonsillectomy sometimes I think? Hope ya'll can avoid that. My older son got strep 3 times in six months and they talked about that as a possibility but he ended up not needing it

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 23, 2024

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

BlindSite posted:

My local pharmacy where I went to get some drugz has a Vietnamese bakery beside it and today I can only assume someone's mum was selling home made spring rolls in a take away containers with home printed reheating instructions on a little camping table. She didn't speak much english beyond "hi, hi hi, hiiiiiii" and "thank youuuuuuuuu" with a big smile but I bought two packs because you know they're going to be fire.

Dunno what's in em (I asked "whats in these" and got told "ok, ok"), don't give a poo poo. Gonna murder these.

Oh hell yeah, that's always the best. I've got a a whole bag of homemade egg rolls in the freezer from a couple of weeks ago that I'll probably make next week.

I got two cats on me, hoping to lure the other two on my lap. My grey girl has a problem with my grey foster boy so this is a tall order.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

My gateway anime was Samurai Champloo on Adult Swim and this was how I felt watching it.

It slowly goes away over time.

Good show, perfect delivery medium

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Inuyasha will always be a top tier Toonami experience too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I remember when Gundam Wing was supposed to be the first "serious" anime that got ported over to the US on a network and I was just like... Peacecraft? Really?

I watched a lot of Funimation DBZ which was, you know, Funimation. Cowboy Bebop and Trigun were the ones I finally found on limewire that were really good

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I still love Wing and after watching as much Gundam as I have I still think it's fine. Watching the unedited episodes of it and DBZ after dark were fun.

Toonami getting all of Sailor Moon R, then Super, was big for me too. That was daily viewing and honestly the DiC dub music for Sailor Moon ruled and still rules.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Intruder posted:

Strep results in tonsillectomy sometimes I think? Hope ya'll can avoid that

My grandma worked as a “Special Ed” teacher for decades in Los Angeles public schools with kids that we now know as autistic. At some point she went for a check up and the doc asked when she had her tonsils taken out because it was all scar tissue and she told him she didn’t, just being a teach she got strep once a year

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was assuming it was some like 2024 version of Naratu or Bleach or The one with the cards that all have a bazillion episodes and I was feeling a bit bad for Pain for Mind, but a wholesome and entertaining children's movie with a run time of less than two hours. Isn't that the goal for watching something with a seven year old?

Unless you're the cool uncle that show them Terminator. RIP Uncle Kevin.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I really wanna get into gundam but dunno where to start, my first memory of any of that was good guys in transforming jets or bad guys in balls with legs

I’m also a huge model/prop/lego guy and I see gundam models everywhere and lotta money to drop for some poser model

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

a sexual elk posted:

My grandma worked as a “Special Ed” teacher for decades in Los Angeles public schools with kids that we now know as autistic. At some point she went for a check up and the doc asked when she had her tonsils taken out because it was all scar tissue and she told him she didn’t, just being a teach she got strep once a year

:stare: how gravelly was her voice by then?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Gundam Wing is a decent intro for gundam series. When you actually start watching other ones and they're more refined, like 00.

One of these days I'll get through more...

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Intruder posted:

:stare: how gravelly was her voice by then?

It’s bad now but nothing like a truckstop Marlboro waitress at 40, she’s pushing 82

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

a elk posted:

I really wanna get into gundam but dunno where to start, my first memory of any of that was good guys in transforming jets or bad guys in balls with legs

There's a trilogy that condenses the first ever gundam series into 3 movies which is pretty good way to get into it. There's series that are on the same timeline (which stems from the original) then you get some one offs / reboots like Wing that do their own thing. Any of the one offs are fine to start. Witch from Mercury is the newest and is extremely gay (in the good way). 00 is my favorite.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Watch G Gundam.

You are welcome.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The only time I've watched Evangelion was when I was extremely new to anime so I wonder if a rewatch is warranted

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Watch G Gundam.

You are welcome.

one of my barriers of entry with gundam (aside from wing because it was the big CN thing at the time) is how many there are. does it matter if I watch anything before anything else?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I'll be all good in a couple days. Got some good food and pretty relaxed. At least I have the only good weather QLD has right now. 73 degrees, nice breeze, sunset and flyinnnnnnn

Good to hear, I started sectioning off a corner of our driveway with some stones I have laying around and been stealing good sized rocks for a border, but it just won’t stop snowing. Aiming for May to plant.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm sure you heard from the doctor but for the strep stuff, throw away all your toothbrushes and replace them, wash all your bedding

Yes, even the people who don't have it

e: I asked the doc if I could just put the toothbrushes through the dishwasher and she said no, seems like it would have been fine to me but maybe it's such an inexpensive replacement might as well do it

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 23, 2024

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

one of my barriers of entry with gundam (aside from wing because it was the big CN thing at the time) is how many there are. does it matter if I watch anything before anything else?

Made a post about it, but there's a decent amount you can watch on your own. Wing, 00, G, Iron Blooded Orphans, Witch from Mercury are more or less self contained. The original series, Zeta and a couple others are related.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Witch from Mercury rules and is intentionally gay but wouls rule regardless. The prologue episode goes hard.

Seiferguy is right about the original movie trilogy, it's a good way to get started if you can find the original series or don't want to deal with janky late 70s animation for 30+ episodes. If you like that then Zeta Gundam is a good follow up since it's the direct sequel, just avoid the trilogy movies for it if you don't want to deal with real weird transitions from 80s animation to updated 00s animation (plus the story is...weird). Zeta also has Haman, who rules. 08th MS Team is good for a short series in the same setting, 0080 is good but has a sadish ending, and 0083 is stupid as gently caress but has kick rear end music and is gorgeous if you stay with Gundam shows that are in the same universe as the original.

For AU, Ross is right that G Gundam rocks. It's more like "DBZ but giant robots and weird geopolitics" to me but that's why it's fun. 00 and Iron Blooded Orphans are great, Iron Blooded Orphans is more consistent across both seasons though. I like Gundam Seed because I like teenage melodrama and can ignore Kira so I can't really reccomend it per se but it's not the worst entry to Gundam to me (that's Victory or AGE).

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Our cabin is small so there’s no way around it. I semi woke up Monday morning and the 7 year old was still home at 9am and I panic dressed before the wife told me she’s on spring break this week…

Er tu: Intruder

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 23, 2024

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I am also endlessly amused that the Last Week Tonight voice over guy is David Kaye, who was both Sesshoumaru in the Inuyasha dub and Treize in the Gundam Wing dub.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

G is its own thing, you don't need to know anything.

49 episodes of goodness.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I am also endlessly amused that the Last Week Tonight voice over guy is David Kaye, who was both Sesshoumaru in the Inuyasha dub and Treize in the Gundam Wing dub.

hah what

a neat cape posted:

G is its own thing, you don't need to know anything.

49 episodes of goodness.

:hmmyes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Okay, Roadhouse remake is kinda fun so far.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Inuyasha will always be a top tier Toonami experience too.

I love Inuyasha; also Full Metal Alchemist

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Inuyasha is great

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Nothing but bangers for the Inuyasha endings and most od the ops too.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Tulalip Tulips posted:

also Megatron in most 90s Transformers shows, until he changed sides and did Optimus Prime for TF:Animated which is a very good show I should track down so I can watch the whole thing from start to finish

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

There's a trilogy that condenses the first ever gundam series into 3 movies which is pretty good way to get into it.

FYI, these are on Netflix, and are all really good. They do a good job cutting the 42~ episodes of the original series into three movies without a lot of filler and have good pacing.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

08th MS Team is good for a short series in the same setting, 0080 is good but has a sadish ending, and 0083 is stupid as gently caress but has kick rear end music and is gorgeous if you stay with Gundam shows that are in the same universe as the original.

To go a bit more on these, they’re all in the same setting, the Universal Century, as the original series, with 0080 and 08th MS Team taking place during the One Year War, the conflict from the original MSG series/movies, and 0083 being set a few years later.

0080 is only 6 episodes and has really nice late 80s animation, so if you want something quick but also really, really good, this is a good place to start. You don’t really need much outside context to understand the setting, the show provides enough details to get it, but having seen the original series or movies helps, and the six episodes basically make it a long movie, so it’s not a major time investment.

08th MS Team is basically “Vietnam grunts but with mobile suits” and is pretty good. The action and fights are well done, but there is a love story that’s kinda meh. This and 0080 were two of the shows that were very popular in the U.S. in 2001-2002 after Wing had aired. It’s also only 12 episodes so it goes quick. There is technically a movie related to it, but it’s mostly a compilation thing and can be ignored.

0083 is basically Gundam’s Top Gun, including amazing music and fight choreography. The story kinda gets weird as the show gets on and has issues (Particularly if you are a big fan of the setting and understand the timeline wackiness - This was done years later to fill in a gap between two previous shows), but it’s very entertaining if you don’t think too much about it, and it’s only 13 episodes. Again, like 08th, there is a movie version out there too, but absolutely ignore that since it’s horribly edited.

a neat cape posted:

Watch G Gundam.

You are welcome.

:hmmyes:

G Gundam is amazing. The only thing to really note that it’s not a regular war setting like most other Gundam shows.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
G Gundam is basically 90s pro wrestling with giant robots.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

More than a week later, I am finally getting discharged from the hospital and going home this afternoon.

... to an apartment with no Internet because I owe Mediacom $115 to turn it back on and I'm broke; I spent my last bit of cash on the Uber ride to get here. If anyone can chip in a few bucks via either Venmo (@Tim-Brechlin) or CashApp ($TimBrechlin), I'd be very grateful and I'm happy to do copywriting / editing, design or WordPress work in exchange.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

a sexual elk posted:

Strep scares the hell out of me cause I had spinal meningitis when I was around 2, so for whatever reason I was told if I caught strep again it could lead to seizures or something along those lines.

If the told your folks that when you were younger they were probably talking about febrile seizures, which more or less are limited to younger kids. If it was more recent, maybe they were concerned about streptococcal meningitis?

Curious about this as well ... Paging Dr. Swickles!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you have a history of spinal mengitis, depending on what caused it, you may have developed auto antibodies in the meninges that can be activated by strep throat. Meningeal inflammation can cause seizures. The meninges are basically a safety wrapping around the brain and spinal cord.

one off febrile seizures are something different and generally not that big a deal; they’re just scary for the parents.

Untreated strep throat can lead to rheumatic fever, which if bad enough can permanently damage the heart or kill the patient. Group b strep is also associated with other neuro conditions, the most interesting being Parkinson’s.

Tonsillectomy is still the treatment of choice for recurrent strep throat, but there’s new thinking on this since thr tonsils are lymphatic tissue and are part of the immune system.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

If the told your folks that when you were younger they were probably talking about febrile seizures, which more or less are limited to younger kids. If it was more recent, maybe they were concerned about streptococcal meningitis?

Curious about this as well ... Paging Dr. Swickles!

Well, first Strep is a catch all term that includes Group A, Group B, Strep pneumoniae and a few others. Meningitis for instance can be caused by Strep pneumo, but also Group A strep less commonly. Strep pneumo also has a vaccine that is now part of the childhood series but is fairly new (first recommended for children in 2000). A lot of us probably got it the first time we went to college because it was a requirement for on campus living in most places (specifically because of the meningitis risk).

And yes, febrile seizures are really bad, and associated with the rate of change in temperature predominantly in young children. As for seizure risk, yeah meningitis carries that risk. Strep also has a lot of weird things associated with it post-infection and reinfection. Scarlet fever is a version of strep that leads to cardiac issues (mainly the mitral valve), Rheumatic fever attacks the joints, and there are even kidney issues related to strep infection. Since a lot of symptoms are caused by the immune system, reinfection can exacerbate any damage done the first time around. Thankfully a lot of time the infection in adults is limited to the throat, so just make sure you get that treated if you have a raging throat infection. Also, get your pneumococcal vaccines and get them for your children.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Intruder posted:

The only time I've watched Evangelion was when I was extremely new to anime so I wonder if a rewatch is warranted

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pain of Mind posted:

Kiki's Delivery or something like that? Like every other time I put a movie on, she wandered off and I did not pay attention so it is like it was never watched at all.

Kiki’s Delivery Service is great. Studio Ghibli is like the one anime studio you can trust, and almost all of them are great for kids. Kiki, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl’s Moving Castle, and Ponyo are good little kid movies. Spirited Away would be fine for 9 and up, only because there’s a couple of “scary” scenes. Princess Mononoke is probably 12 and up since there’s some violence.

Ghibli doesn’t do any weird creepy over sexualized stuff.