Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One thing that can happen if you don't update your address is that you can get a jury duty summons in the county where you used to live. This happened to me once when I was lazy with it and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Khizan posted:

One thing that can happen if you don't update your address is that you can get a jury duty summons in the county where you used to live. This happened to me once when I was lazy with it and it sucks.
As long as you receive the summons and are aware of it couldn't you just tell them you've moved, or if that's not enough, postpone it, officially update everything, and then tell them you've moved? Or did they require some additional proof and/or make you do it anyway?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm looking for a diagram technique to help keep track of various projects or goals, where there are tasks that are part of achieving that goal, some tasks might be dependent on other tasks.

Is that just a Gantt chart, or is there something better? I figured Gantt charts are more about schedule than anything else. In my case it's about keeping tasks and goals visible so I don't forget about them. For me schedule doesn't matter.

Ideally an app that can go on my phone and/or computer.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Microsoft Project or whatever the Google Docs / Libre Office equivalent are

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I use Thunderbird for subscribing to RSS feeds but occasionally there'll be an internet connection issue or something and it'll decide that all my feeds are dead and stop checking them. Then I seem to have to go through each one individually and tell it to resume checking for new articles. Is there a way to do this en masse? Or better yet, a way to stop it from automatically unsubscribing? I don't care if it keeps checking a site that doesn't exist any more; that doesn't have any effect on me at all. I don't know why it does this and it's incredibly irritating.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tiggum posted:

I use Thunderbird for subscribing to RSS feeds but occasionally there'll be an internet connection issue or something and it'll decide that all my feeds are dead and stop checking them. Then I seem to have to go through each one individually and tell it to resume checking for new articles. Is there a way to do this en masse? Or better yet, a way to stop it from automatically unsubscribing? I don't care if it keeps checking a site that doesn't exist any more; that doesn't have any effect on me at all. I don't know why it does this and it's incredibly irritating.

have you tried using a less crap desktop rss app like rss guard?
i tried thunderbird briefly but its rss support seemed like a pain in the rear end to use compared to proper rss readers

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i tried thunderbird briefly but its rss support seemed like a pain in the rear end to use compared to proper rss readers

Oh poo poo, two-way synching? Then I could use this on my computers and Inoreader's app on my phone. This is intriguing... Thank you!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Tips for public speaking? I have a seminar/slideshow to present today and I haven't spoken in front of a crowd in a long time (since camp counsellor days). Not looking for anything like 'picture the audience naked' or whatever, I don't need to end up with a boner.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

Tips for public speaking? I have a seminar/slideshow to present today and I haven't spoken in front of a crowd in a long time (since camp counsellor days). Not looking for anything like 'picture the audience naked' or whatever, I don't need to end up with a boner.

Do a trial run with some friends and use it to improve on the actual presentation? Ask them for genuine feedback and be open to constructive criticism. Go through the presentation a bunch of times so that it becomes imprinted in your head, will make it easier during the actual presentation to flow coherently from topic to topic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, practice giving the talk. Don't rush through it. Make eye contact with people in your audience.

Good luck!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks for the prompt replies. I ran through it briefly with a coworker last night, reached out to some friends to see if they'd be an audience but it fell through. Coworker said it's good though, I clearly know my poo poo and for how long it will end up being, the slides are concise. It helps that it's something I'm passionate about (DJing). I guess I'm just worried about showing up to a full room and panicking. Thanks again though, means a lot :)

Username/post fail, I guess :lmao:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

The main thing for me is just being very knowledgeable and confident about my knowledge in whatever I'm talking about, which it sounds like you have covered. The other thing is, especially for topics I'm particularly interested in, is not speaking too quickly. If in doubt, try slowing your speaking cadence by about 25%, and make a mental note to keep regularly checking in on how fast you're talking.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Practice to an empty room if you gotta. It's still way better than nothing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No. How do I install this? I'm using Linux Mint and I need a file I can download and double-click to make the thing go.

Mister Speaker posted:

Tips for public speaking? I have a seminar/slideshow to present today and I haven't spoken in front of a crowd in a long time (since camp counsellor days).
Don't put your entire presentation on the slideshow. Don't read from the slides. The slides should contain supplemental visual aids, not the same words you're currently saying. It's helpful to hand out printed versions of the text of the presentation so that people can follow along but that text should not be on the slides. If you don't have anything useful to put on the slideshow, don't use one. They're not mandatory.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Tiggum posted:

Don't put your entire presentation on the slideshow. Don't read from the slides. The slides should contain supplemental visual aids, not the same words you're currently saying. It's helpful to hand out printed versions of the text of the presentation so that people can follow along but that text should not be on the slides. If you don't have anything useful to put on the slideshow, don't use one. They're not mandatory.

This is good advice if you want the presentation to be actually good, but if expectations are just for you to get through it then don't worry to much about it imparting information and educating anyone.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It kinda also depends on your style. The most important thing is to be reasonably confident about the topic (you've got that covered) and making sure you're actually telling your audience about it instead of reading aloud from a tech manual. For topics I know reasonably well, I'll just skip the step where I write down what I'm gonna say, and just wing it based on my slides. That makes me sound more interesting I think.
But also, the people in the audience are not your classmates, they're people who probably want to be there and hear you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiggum posted:

No. How do I install this? I'm using Linux Mint and I need a file I can download and double-click to make the thing go.

Mint's got an apt/yum-like thing, right? See if it's in there. There are also installation instructions in the documentation. I'll be installing it later (maybe today) on a Fedora spin, so I'll see if there's anything to note when I get to that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Please do NOT "download and double click" apps on Linux.
Instead install them through your distribution's package manager. Package managers have some amount of checks and balances to prevent malware from getting in, and they also automatically handle version updates for you.

On Linux Mint, if you're not familiar with the terminal, you could open Software Manager and do a search for rss there and see if anything good comes up. I checked the Software Manager on my Ubuntu installation and a search for rss there has RSS Guard as one of the top results. Since Mint is related to Ubuntu, you will probably see the same.

If you want to use the terminal, RSS Guard, apt and flatpak are two package managers that are supported on Mint. Rss Guard is available for flatpak. As you can see on the Flathub page, you can install it through the command: flatpak install flathub io.github.martinrotter.rssguard.

Finally, if you want to bypass the security recommendations for Linux, so you won't get automatic updates to your RSS app or anything, well, they do actually offer a standalone "download and double click" for Linux. Consider this a last resort option. To get there, scroll down a bit on the Github page linked by the other poster, and click either "Releases" on the right (this is where you can find downloads for any Github repo that offers them) or just the "Downloads" link in the documentation below the file overview. Either way, go to the newest release (4.6.6 right now) and download the AppImage file, which is an executable file for many Linux distros including Mint. Again, I don't recommend this approach.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 23, 2024

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mister Speaker posted:

Thanks for the prompt replies. I ran through it briefly with a coworker last night, reached out to some friends to see if they'd be an audience but it fell through. Coworker said it's good though, I clearly know my poo poo and for how long it will end up being, the slides are concise. It helps that it's something I'm passionate about (DJing). I guess I'm just worried about showing up to a full room and panicking. Thanks again though, means a lot :)

1) this doesn't work for everyone but: "don't give a poo poo." If you know what the content is you should be able to speak casually about it
2) you're the expert. If you forget to say something then just skip it or add it in later naturally. Don't do any of that "oh, I was supposed to say this first" or any recognition at all really if things go out of order. Remember that your audience doesn't know what you're going to present--or else you wouldn't need to present to them

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Please do NOT "download and double click" apps on Linux.
Is there even another way to install and update Discord? Because that's always annoying so I'd avoid it if I could.

But also there's other stuff I install that way like Vivaldi, although it's just a one-time thing and updates itself normally after that.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Instead install them through your distribution's package manager.
Oh, it is in there. I'll give it a shot.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Discord has a flatpack and there is also webcord on flathub too so you can use more Linux friendly client too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Generally you want to try apt / flatpack with Ubuntu based Linux. Then snap or installing the stand alone app if that fails to get you results. Obviously this goes out the window if you're ok with compiling your apps but for ease of use that is probably the best order to check when installing something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Discord has a flatpack and there is also webcord on flathub too so you can use more Linux friendly client too.

I don't know what any of that means.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Really hard to believe that Linux hasn't gained significant market share with how easy and straightforward it is now

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure those are completely made up things

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It means you can find it in your software manager.

If you don't know or don't care about detailed Linux, the one thing to remember is to ALWAYS search for an application in your Linux' built-in Software Manager application first before you start scouring the internet.

I might be wrong, but I believe Linux Mint specifically does not support snap. The reason is that Canonical (the company that owns the Ubuntu brand) has been aggressively pushing their snap tool by pulling all sorts of useful repos out of apt and making them available through snap or non-standard means only. Mint, which is an independent fork, doesn't want anything to do with this corporate meddling which is antithetical to everything Linux stands for.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Really hard to believe that Linux hasn't gained significant market share with how easy and straightforward it is now

There are some very user friendly distros now!

but yeah, you have to be OK with reading documentation and then reading the articles and wikis referenced in that documentation before doing a thing for the first time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
There are like at least five ways to install programs on a given Linux that are all good, though not exactly the same. The differences aren’t really small but are kind of stupid.

1. Compile from source
2. Install a sandboxed container of the app (flatpak, docker, snap, etc)
3. Download and install a packaged version (go download Discord’s .deb file from their website)
4. Use a package manager (apt or yum or dnf or whatever)
5. Use a compatibility tool and run the windows version.

Edit: you can also now use “app images” which are probably the simplest double-click to run, but they don’t actually install anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

It means you can find it in your software manager.
Well, you can't. At least, not until you run the deb file you download from the Discord website. Then it adds it into Synaptic, but it still won't update through Update Manager - it pops up a thing telling you to go download the new deb file to do the update manually. It is the only software I use that works this way. Other things (like Vivaldi) install from deb files but then update through Update Manager like everything else. Discord is just different for some reason.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Well, you can't. At least, not until you run the deb file you download from the Discord website. Then it adds it into Synaptic, but it still won't update through Update Manager - it pops up a thing telling you to go download the new deb file to do the update manually. It is the only software I use that works this way. Other things (like Vivaldi) install from deb files but then update through Update Manager like everything else. Discord is just different for some reason.

That is very confusing. The Discord flatpak install appears immediately if I search in Software Manager.
And also this tutorial says it should just be there for Linux Mint: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/install-discord-on-ubuntu-linux-mint (the second install option).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

That is very confusing. The Discord flatpak install appears immediately if I search in Software Manager.
And also this tutorial says it should just be there for Linux Mint: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/install-discord-on-ubuntu-linux-mint (the second install option).

OK, I've never seen this before. I never look at Software Manager because, last time I did, it seemed pointless; it had less stuff than Synaptic and nothing that wasn't in Synaptic. Now it seems to have two versions of a bunch of stuff, and only one of those versions is in Synaptic. This is confusing. Anyway, when I search in there I can see that I have Discord installed but there's another Discord that's not installed, and I guess if I'd installed the other version it would automatically update, is what you're saying?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The version you don't have installed is from Flathub. The version you do have installed is from another source. It doesn't really matter which version you pick, other than under-the-hood installation methods they should be identical.

If any version shows in Software Manager as installed it is most likely set up to receive automatic updates.

Also, synaptic is a frontend for just the apt package manager. Software Manager should have everything synaptic has, as well as the other sources (such as flatpak/flathub).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

If any version shows in Software Manager as installed it is most likely set up to receive automatic updates.
Well, you can see that it says it's installed there in the screenshot, and I'm telling you it does not update automatically. Discord does that "checking for updates" thing when you run it and, if there's a newer version, it sends me to the website to get the installer. :shrug:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You could try uninstalling it, then installing the Flathub version and see if that helps.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

Let us know how it ended up going!

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Apologies if there is a better thread for my situation please point me in that direction. This is a little bit of a vent as well.

Earlier this year I got a Summons for Federal Grand Jury Service. A couple of weeks later I got a Summons for State Jury Duty service. The Federal summons was first so I filled out a form requesting to be excused from State Jury Duty. The State declined my request because I hadn't actually gone to the Federal Grand Jury Duty yet. I fulfill my Federal Grand Jury Summons and I am selected for Grand Jury Service. It's 3x a month for 18 months, which is kind of a lot, but I don't really have a good excuse why I can't do my civic duty.

I request to be excused from State Jury duty again, and I am rejected. I add more information and get rejected again. I call them, explain my situation, the person on the line was sympathetic and definitely said I should be excused. A couple of hours later I get my next request back, and they declined it again. I plan on showing up day of, and requesting to be released from service.

They can't make me serve on 2 Juries at the same time right? I don't mind my Civic Duty, but 2 Juries seems like too much work.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Qubee posted:

Let us know how it ended up going!

It went really well, people were engaged with the content. There were a couple of things I should have addressed more in-depth, but overall it was a lot of fun, and multiple people left at the end saying things like "I can't believe that lecture was free." :)

Thanks to everyone for the tips and encouragement!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Anderson Koopa posted:

Apologies if there is a better thread for my situation please point me in that direction. This is a little bit of a vent as well.

Earlier this year I got a Summons for Federal Grand Jury Service. A couple of weeks later I got a Summons for State Jury Duty service. The Federal summons was first so I filled out a form requesting to be excused from State Jury Duty. The State declined my request because I hadn't actually gone to the Federal Grand Jury Duty yet. I fulfill my Federal Grand Jury Summons and I am selected for Grand Jury Service. It's 3x a month for 18 months, which is kind of a lot, but I don't really have a good excuse why I can't do my civic duty.

I request to be excused from State Jury duty again, and I am rejected. I add more information and get rejected again. I call them, explain my situation, the person on the line was sympathetic and definitely said I should be excused. A couple of hours later I get my next request back, and they declined it again. I plan on showing up day of, and requesting to be released from service.

They can't make me serve on 2 Juries at the same time right? I don't mind my Civic Duty, but 2 Juries seems like too much work.

Can you get the feds to write a letter in support and that any date clash puts you in an impossible legal situation? If you do lose the lottery and get picked in the state court, find out if you can approach the judge to request an excusal. When I did it you had to go via the clerk of court prior to sitting down in the jury box - once your rear end touched the seat you were legally on the jury. Bring something officially stating you're already empaneled.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anderson Koopa posted:

I doubt it's possible but you would probably be even better off if you could somehow use the state summons to get out of the federal summons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Do we have a frequent flyer (program) thread, or is that just the business travel thread in bfc?