Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Ukraine's officials have just made a statement that denies they were told to stop striking oil refineries by the USA.
https://newsukraine.rbc.ua/news/ukraine-denies-us-requested-to-halt-strikes-1711118430.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Haystack posted:

Just speculating, but I seem to recall that a fair number of really scary Chechnyans ended up in ISIS. Maybe some of them held a grudge?

Probably for good reason.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Keisari posted:

Lol. Lmao. Someone really needs to tell these conspiracy theorist Americans this: Not everything is about you. You are not behind everything that is good in this world. Similarly, not everything that is bad or wrong about the state of the world is America's fault either.

lol good point. Americans dominate the tankie twitter space with some hanger on Euros and a token Ian Miles. American exceptionalism dominates is a drug.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Tai posted:

lol good point. Americans dominate the tankie twitter space with some hanger on Euros and a token Ian Miles. American exceptionalism dominates is a drug.

Yeah. Prime example: The war in Ukraine is not USA's fault. Not even if there was something in hindsight that the US could've done to prevent it. Putin decided to try to take Ukraine, and the war is his fault and his alone.

(I remember when this poo poo started there was a blame game in the US with both parties arguing if it was Biden's or Trump's fault. The correct answer is neither, but Putin's)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Your society is intimidated and destabilized, but it's not because of the US.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

zone posted:

Ukraine's officials have just made a statement that denies they were told to stop striking oil refineries by the USA.
https://newsukraine.rbc.ua/news/ukraine-denies-us-requested-to-halt-strikes-1711118430.html

Lotta people itt bit hard on that one, I guess it’s plausible?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

gently caress ISIS and gently caress Vladimir Putin. They're both on the same side.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

khwarezm posted:

I hate to say this, but between accurately anticipating the actual invasion itself and now anticipating a major terrorist attack in Russia, American intelligence has shown itself to be more effective than I used to believe during the nadir of the war on terror.

part of that we are like 20 plus years into war on terror so have all kinds of sources of signt and humint and etc now. with russia, we have always had a gently caress ton of info/spys and etc.

zone posted:

yeah, not shocking. i feel like this was some rando dipshit. if we were THAT worried about oil poo poo, we would have thrown Ukraine away in 2022.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Keisari posted:

Yeah. Prime example: The war in Ukraine is not USA's fault. Not even if there was something in hindsight that the US could've done to prevent it. Putin decided to try to take Ukraine, and the war is his fault and his alone.

(I remember when this poo poo started there was a blame game in the US with both parties arguing if it was Biden's or Trump's fault. The correct answer is neither, but Putin's)

Russia leaking that hacked phone call of US advice to put the status quo guy in charge was gold. Why would you ever make that public. The US is doing John Mearsheimer diplomacy and you're leaking it because why......?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

I find this very odd

Like I understand Isis did attack Russia, my question is why?

Chechnya? Other disaffected Muslim minorities in Russia?

ISIS's MO since their founding is trying to ignite a global war between non-Muslims and Muslims (led by the messianic Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi some other guy), which they think they are destined to win. Their goal is to destroy relations between Muslims and non-Muslims and kill or convert relatively liberal Muslims who don't want to be part of their crazy bullshit. Russia has a very large Muslim minority so they're a big target.

ISIS also likes to claim responsibility for attacks they had nothing to do with though, so I'd still take that claim with a grain of salt

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So with the terror test by ISIS and US intelligence stating that they knew about the attack March 19th, possibly earlier as we did here some murmurings of isis planning this in November at earliest. Russia is in a precarious position, as is Putin post-election. Now every question about 9/11 it was if Bush knew and used it to start a war. I think this may be partly true in Putin's case. Because even if he didn't plan it he allowed it to happen. Now with this occurrence Putin can now essentially turn Russia into a complete police state dictatorship. There's going to be a mass mobilization and people being abducted off the streets and sent to the front. They will be abducted and arrested for suspected terrorist acts etc but they will wind up behind the barrel of an AK-47 (hopefully for them) . This is an absolutely terrifying event that of course is also going to spur anti-us rhetoric because Russia will spend the whole idea that the US told them that this was going to happen into the US knew etc etc.

With that, and the recent insurrection in belgrad We are going to see the police they do what it does best. Lock down on all freedom of movement and political will to resist the results of this latest bullshit election. Overall I can see things getting darker and grimmer as more and more Russians are sent to the front. I mean the FSB That's absolutely been gunning to be allowed to start doing poo poo like this for months now. And by the FSB I do mean the FSB loyal political faction inside of United Russia.

I have said this once I've said this 100 times but Russia is essentially feeling the brunt of a quagmire war. Of course in Russia violence is absolutely under the state's mandate on its people. And the '90s really didn't do a lot of justice for absolute violence being the preferred method of dealing with your political and gang related enemies. I mean the anti-war protest of Iraq and Afghanistan were definitely monitored and squashed to a great regard but in Russia it's just far different. There's a loving of attrition and it's not 10,000 mi away. It's like a hundred miles away or one mile away if you're in the center of belgorod. These things completely change the sphere of influence that the state has on its people over whether they fight in this war or not. The US has too many people and would probably not institute another draft unless it was desperate. I mean Russia's had like loving three of them in the last 3 years. That kind of thing isn't forgotten, everyone in Russia knows somebody that's died in this war and while they may call them a hero not all of them are going to. With that as well as the slow burning of Russia's ability to produce consumer goods and maintain the state's apparatus on economic controls we could see factions start to break off more so. Regional leaders again were looking at outsourcing some of their consumer goods from the normal channels that the Russian government recommends per se. Stacking those goods for their regional allies. As that's what's going to determine the future of people in especially the far east where railroads are the lifeblood to their entire existence. Without the big West Russia the rest of Russia could cease to exist. I think that's the clear and present danger in all of this. I mean I know this is a concert hall getting gunned down, but this was in the center of Moscow in the buildings on loving fire. I mean hundreds of people could be dead. That is a national blight that just does not go away. Especially when a thousand Russians are already dropping dead a day. And these weren't soldiers and these weren't people who stated that they wanted to be part of the war, the war was brought to them. Whether it was a terrorist attack or not all of the things that their soldiers discuss on the news media etc about how evil the Ukrainian Nazis are and how much war criminal blah blah blah they are was just brought upon the rich elite of Moscow. The people that really make the decisions and their families.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
wat

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Here let me give you the too long didn't read. Russian fascists are about to concentrate power and nab people off the streets to kill ukrainians while quashing all domestic resistance centers.

We are either witnessing the third Russian collapse unfold (which is taking years and probably at the near climax) or we are witnessing Russia turn into a capitalist Petro state with violence not seen since the days of the Soviet revolution.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Here let me give you the too long didn't read. Russian fascists are about to concentrate power and nab people off the streets to kill ukrainians while quashing all domestic resistance centers.

We are either witnessing the third Russian collapse unfold (which is taking years and probably at the near climax) or we are witnessing Russia turn into a capitalist Petro state with violence not seen since the days of the Soviet revolution.

I thought we are already there tbh

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
*DEEP SIGH*

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Hell. Yes

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I think your post is good, genuinely, but I also feel that Russia is in a :matters: state. I don't think the government has any force available to pick off internal enemies in a way that they haven't before. I'm not expecting anything "flashy" to happen as a result of this attack.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

god please help me posted:

I think your post is good, genuinely, but I also feel that Russia is in a :matters: state. I don't think the government has any force available to pick off internal enemies in a way that they haven't before. I'm not expecting anything "flashy" to happen as a result of this attack.

Never let a good crisis go to waste

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Would be bad if Kadyrov was ordered to take command of Dagestan and mobilize to Ukraine war anyone from there connected to terrorism.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://x.com/Osinttechnical/status/1771343520898437467?s=20

Another refinery is burning, more than 800 kilometers from the Ukrainian border.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 23, 2024

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I see people post here they don't know why "is" would attack Russia, but all you have to do is remember that they probably have a grudge with russia for helping assad against them.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

beer_war posted:

https://x.com/Osinttechnical/status/1771343520898437467?s=20

Another refinery is burning, more than 800 kilometers from the Ukrainian border.

What goes around, must come around.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So with the terror test by ISIS and US intelligence stating that they knew about the attack March 19th, possibly earlier as we did here some murmurings of isis planning this in November at earliest. Russia is in a precarious position, as is Putin post-election. Now every question about 9/11 it was if Bush knew and used it to start a war. I think this may be partly true in Putin's case. Because even if he didn't plan it he allowed it to happen. Now with this occurrence Putin can now essentially turn Russia into a complete police state dictatorship. There's going to be a mass mobilization and people being abducted off the streets and sent to the front. They will be abducted and arrested for suspected terrorist acts etc but they will wind up behind the barrel of an AK-47 (hopefully for them) . This is an absolutely terrifying event that of course is also going to spur anti-us rhetoric because Russia will spend the whole idea that the US told them that this was going to happen into the US knew etc etc.

With that, and the recent insurrection in belgrad We are going to see the police they do what it does best. Lock down on all freedom of movement and political will to resist the results of this latest bullshit election. Overall I can see things getting darker and grimmer as more and more Russians are sent to the front. I mean the FSB That's absolutely been gunning to be allowed to start doing poo poo like this for months now. And by the FSB I do mean the FSB loyal political faction inside of United Russia.

I have said this once I've said this 100 times but Russia is essentially feeling the brunt of a quagmire war. Of course in Russia violence is absolutely under the state's mandate on its people. And the '90s really didn't do a lot of justice for absolute violence being the preferred method of dealing with your political and gang related enemies. I mean the anti-war protest of Iraq and Afghanistan were definitely monitored and squashed to a great regard but in Russia it's just far different. There's a loving of attrition and it's not 10,000 mi away. It's like a hundred miles away or one mile away if you're in the center of belgorod. These things completely change the sphere of influence that the state has on its people over whether they fight in this war or not. The US has too many people and would probably not institute another draft unless it was desperate. I mean Russia's had like loving three of them in the last 3 years. That kind of thing isn't forgotten, everyone in Russia knows somebody that's died in this war and while they may call them a hero not all of them are going to. With that as well as the slow burning of Russia's ability to produce consumer goods and maintain the state's apparatus on economic controls we could see factions start to break off more so. Regional leaders again were looking at outsourcing some of their consumer goods from the normal channels that the Russian government recommends per se. Stacking those goods for their regional allies. As that's what's going to determine the future of people in especially the far east where railroads are the lifeblood to their entire existence. Without the big West Russia the rest of Russia could cease to exist. I think that's the clear and present danger in all of this. I mean I know this is a concert hall getting gunned down, but this was in the center of Moscow in the buildings on loving fire. I mean hundreds of people could be dead. That is a national blight that just does not go away. Especially when a thousand Russians are already dropping dead a day. And these weren't soldiers and these weren't people who stated that they wanted to be part of the war, the war was brought to them. Whether it was a terrorist attack or not all of the things that their soldiers discuss on the news media etc about how evil the Ukrainian Nazis are and how much war criminal blah blah blah they are was just brought upon the rich elite of Moscow. The people that really make the decisions and their families.

remember kids. he said out loud every single one of these words and did not delete anything

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

ded posted:

remember kids. he said out loud every single one of these words and did not delete anything

wouldn’t have it any other way

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I like to imagine it was all said without taking a breath.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is there any info on like what percentage of oil refinery capacity has been taken offline because of Ukrainian attacks? It seems like a daily thing lately.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Enough that they stopped exporting gasoline in the short-term. And this was three weeks ago so there have been several more attacks since then.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/russias-gasoline-export-ban-2024-02-27/

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
This is absolutely horrendous what has happened (is still happening? I sincerely hope not) in Moscow.

I am not looking forward to how it is going to be utilized, either.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Perps got away because the Russian police force is designed for controlling dissent more than responding to armed belligerents, so it's entirely possible the terrorists are prepping round 2.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Imagine if terrorist groups actually hit legit cool targets like oil refineries and artillery production lines. Imagine if they focused on effective industrial targets that actually deeply hurt the bottom line of the wealthy and the economy in general. Would probably be a hell of a lot more effective than targeting random civilians the parent government doesn't actually care about.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

Why the gently caress would Israel attack Russia?

They are bedfellows in genocide

Israel though hamas started their genocidal walk into israel last year after being sicced to do so by russia.
They promised to support Ukraine after the gaza war is over.

Baronjutter posted:

Imagine if terrorist groups actually hit legit cool targets like oil refineries and artillery production lines. Imagine if they focused on effective industrial targets that actually deeply hurt the bottom line of the wealthy and the economy in general. Would probably be a hell of a lot more effective than targeting random civilians the parent government doesn't actually care about.
But Ukraine has more western values and does care about its civilians so striking civvies makes sense for terrorist group like kreml

haddedam fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 23, 2024

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Just wondering... what about Kadyrov band of merry warfighters? I know they weren't keen on being deployed on the hottest fronts but surely there must have been some attrition. Maybe this is a result of Checenia slipping away from his grasp

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Tafferling posted:

Just wondering... what about Kadyrov band of merry warfighters? I know they weren't keen on being deployed on the hottest fronts but surely there must have been some attrition. Maybe this is a result of Checenia slipping away from his grasp

They took heavy damage when they didn't charge their battery banks and cameras for months while at a spa in belarus so their operational capability is vastly decreased to only mere hours of tik toking a day.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Would be bad if Kadyrov was ordered to take command of Dagestan and mobilize to Ukraine war anyone from there connected to terrorism.

they're also terrorists and any state with a weak (or strong- it makes an attack break a veil of invincibility at the cost of being higher risk) security state is a ripe target to do something for attention. terrorist groups thrive on high publicity attacks of mass violence, which is exactly what they did. I doubt they picked Russia in specific, but the situation in Russia means it's ripe for this sort of thing and the security establishment is greatly weakened by the war.

the unique to IS move would be to actually seize land. are there any muslim majority areas they could feasibly try to pull that off?

E: I replied to the wrong guy dang. My overall point was "why Russia?" isn't a good question to ask, the question is: Why did it succeed? Terrorist groups are always trying attacks anywhere they can, most fail before they're even that far into planning.

"There were indications last night that they had escaped and that police were trying to hunt them down."

wait wtf they escaped? oh lordy

SRQ fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 23, 2024

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
It rules that Ukraine denied involvement in the mall shooting and immediately blasted a refinery to further the argument.
"See, this is what we do !"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dangit Vladdy we blow up refineries and refinery accessories.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If there's one thing Russia knows it's terrorizing innocent civilians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Toxic Mental posted:

If there's one thing Russia knows it's terrorizing innocent civilians

but serfdom was abolished before slavery in the US :smug::byetankie: