Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Man the farm area outside the castle town is really chill vibes at sunrise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man, I decided to go explore that cavern from right near the start of the game, thinking I might find Ulrika in there and after smashing my way through Dino-Men, skeletons, slimes, and what I assume was a Lich, I dragged my half dead crew into a fight with a loving Chimera... and I won! :bisonyes:

I love this game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I love/hate how some quests have completely hidden steps or endings. Like how for the quest where you follow around the beggar you can give the clothes back to the guy who gave you the quest, to the fake beggar or, the funniest option, to the fake beggar's wife and that last option is totally unmarked and requires you to have been paying attention to what's actually going on in the quest/the dialog.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure there's non-obvious stuff to do on Agatha's quest considering her dialog about the river and what some random NPCs said while I was doing it about some little rich boy who looks exactly like her.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 23, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I don't care if it doesn't make sense, my magick archer is gonna be a tall, buff dude.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, how's the verdict on the game so far? is the microtransaction stuff ignorable or does it shove it in your face alot and game worse for having any? is the exploration fun or does it repeat the same few notes constantly? game good regardless or wait to pick it up for balance and performance patches?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I literally have no idea where the microtransaction stuff even is in the game. I would not know it existed if I hadn't read about it on the internet.
My personal experience with performance has been fine, a bit rough in the city but you're not doing fights there so who cares.
Exploration so far has been real cool, but hard to say how it'll hold up in the long run.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The MTX stuff has been seriously overblown by reviews, it's incredibly unintrusive and essentially pointless. The performance, however, is truly quite bad and in a specific way that seems like it'd be hard to fix, remains to be seen. Other than that, game's great, exploration owns, quests own, combat owns.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why can I pick up rabbits and chickens but not rats? I want to carry a rat.
Refunding the game.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

No idea if it was a bug or not, but I summoned SA User Phlegmish's Archer Fiona from the Goon spreadsheet, only she had no bow, so she spent every fight punching and kicking everything. Maybe not effective, but looked hilarious.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Had my first crash while dinking around in the human capital city. I had seen an autosave like forty seconds beforehand so I'm not worried about losing progress. Performance has been pretty stellar so far otherwise. Running smooth at a locked 60 until I entered previously mentioned capital city, then it's hovering between 30-40, but I have a pretty beefy machine. I'm also only playing at 1080p on medium settings because I'd rather not deal with stuttering if possible.

I had run around the western side of the starting area of the map, cleared out some dungeon full of slimes and goblins, and changed my thief to be using Helm/skullsplitter instead of that dash attack. Increased my effectiveness greatly. Using ensnare on small enemies to pull them through the air and then doing skull splitter to catch them and cut them apart in mid air feels great. Managed to walk from that starting area back to the capital after delivering a letter, got into a fight with a minotaur which was then rudely interrupted by a Griffon. Got the Griffon down to two health bars and he ran away, the fucker. Then I beat the poo poo out of an ogre. Powder charge on an enemies skull feels GREAT. Fought another Griffon in the fields outside the capital but it ran away pretty quickly.

This really captures everything I like about Dragon's Dogma, it will be super weird if/when I go back to Dark Arisen.

Pawns seem super effective so I'm absolutely going to try out Trickster once I've maxed out Thief. My only concern with Trickster is that combat is so fun and feels so good that playing more of a support might not be as satisfying. Worth checking out, however.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I had some real magic voodoo poo poo experience ; when I tried the game last night, I got like 30-50 wildly fluctuating FPS in the opening open world sequence with the goblins... and now after making a new character with the save deleting, I got very steady ~60-70 FPS in the same section, felt really smooth to play. Only difference I can think of was to set my screen refresh rate to lower than it actually is (120/144), taking the frame limiter off and playing on windowed fullscreen instead of full... I didn't touch the settings beyond that, since the game started out in some 600x400 window again and I had to adjust it. Perhaps it will dip back later. But definitely left me a lot more optimistic, even if it does take a hit later on, but if it'd be like this for open world, it'd be very enjoyable even on my old rig (ryzen 3900x & 2080 super).

Made a beefy warrior named Batsu (which funnily enough was in the pre-made sound list) yeah yeah, not original, sue me, but I am thinking I can top out the party with a white-haired dude and a black-haired gal from the pawns list pretty easily.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I think I know why the city runs like poo poo for a lot of people

It isn't that he city is full of people

It is that below the city is also full of people

there are areas of the red desert that will also have issues for some people because of this

Also I enjoyed taking a cart, having a few goblins and an ogre on one end ambushing us and a minotaur on the other end.

Cart got destroyed. Welp time to stare at 2 dollars for a stone or 20 minutes walking.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rotten food is really useful now since you can craft it into lantern oil.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Clocks posted:

I was following a hired pawn who claimed she knew a shortcut. She jumped off a cliff to her death below, which was loving hilarious. Then the other two followed her while I wasn't paying attention. Turns out there was a hay bale type of situation down below that... two of them just missed while jumping?

I unlocked two maestro thief skills as well. One will just auto-dodge everything for you (at the cost of stamina) so you're effectively immortal while you have it on, which is... an interesting choice, lol. (I guess the drawback is less stamina to spam other moves, which means less damage.) Helm splitter is as great as always at taking down the big guys.

That said not all is well in arisen-land. I was doing the gaol quest in Vermund. Well, the guards were ignoring me up until they weren't and I got jailed. I broke out by just walking out the back but now a good portion of the guards in the city will attack me on sight (but not all of them, which is also confusing). I tried doing the masquerade quest with the proper clothes on and everyone inside mega aggro'd during the opening cutscene lol. I'm hoping if I just stay away from town for a bit it'll reset but if it doesn't I have no clue who to talk to to like, bribe my way out of being public enemy #1.
I solved this problem by picking up the head guard (the fatter one), taking him out the back way and throwing him into the ocean. Got all my stuff back. Nobody seemed to care after that. Then I tried to sneak into the castle at night and got arrested again.

I threw the remaining guard into the ocean. Nobody upstairs gave a poo poo even though I'd been arrested 5 minutes earlier.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jack Trades posted:

Rotten food is really useful now since you can craft it into lantern oil.

Lantern oil runs out so drat slowly it actually shocked me the first time it ran out because I had forgotten it was a mechanic completely since it was like hours and hours into the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm not sure about the combination of the best robes and the best pants I can buy, constantly flashing my junk.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, how's the verdict on the game so far? is the microtransaction stuff ignorable or does it shove it in your face alot and game worse for having any? is the exploration fun or does it repeat the same few notes constantly? game good regardless or wait to pick it up for balance and performance patches?

The game has an 'online store' option at the main menu, other than that I haven't noticed any in game advertising anywhere.

The exploration is really fun and there are lots of little things to find around every corner. It's a good idea to hire a couple of new assist pawns every few levels and rest at an inn to see if your main pawn has learned anything new, because they will point things out all the time.

Running very high settings at 1080p, I get some lag whenever I'm in an area of town where you can see a lot of people, or out in the wilderness when there are lots of monsters fighting around their camps (trees, buildings, camp fires and torches
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K, 3610 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA RTX 4070 12GB
32GB RAM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Played for about 13 hours so far, it hasn't gotten old yet, there is a still a ton of map to explore, I keep running into new things of interest, new quests, new enemy types etc, everything about the game is just firing on all cylinders for me. Also:

The_White_Crane posted:

I literally have no idea where the microtransaction stuff even is in the game. I would not know it existed if I hadn't read about it on the internet.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
This game owns, been playing on ps5 and really haven’t experienced anything I’d consider terrible performance. Exploration feels really good, love finding random battles between pawns or random people and monsters. Honestly impressed with this game , huge improvement on DD1. Going to be an all time classic for this gen of video games. I have no idea where the supposed micro transactions are, the game literally never mentions them and you don’t need them in any way, shape or form. The kind of poo poo people get mad about in video games lately is incredible (incredibly stupid) .

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Man, the game is really not pulling it's punches. I'm like ten feet from the capital and I'm already beset by monsters I can barely scratch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do lizardmen have any particular weakness other than having their tails slashed? It feels like they have a buttload of HP and I can't find a spells that's particularly effective against them.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Okay I've figured out the microtransactions. My pawn is loving insufferable and the voice changy things are like £4 of funbux each.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I am a little disappointed they kept the brine since it rules out sea monsters, which are a classic element of Greek myth.

not if you listen to a certain fisherman

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

Okay I've figured out the microtransactions. My pawn is loving insufferable and the voice changy things are like £4 of funbux each.

Just go to a pawn guild.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Thursday Next posted:

Sorry if this was already answered but I can't find this online because Google is convinced I'm not using correct search terms. Keeps insisting I mean DD1 or monster respawn.

Do chests respawn with randomized loot like in DD1?

I've already seen cool monster respawn, and difficulty changes, and collectables respawn. But chests haven't come back yet and I'm really sad about that. I loved finding random stuff in dungeons - gave me a reason to go back to places.

I don't remember that being a thing in dd1, pretty sure chests are always cashed after you first open them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Jack Trades posted:

Do lizardmen have any particular weakness other than having their tails slashed? It feels like they have a buttload of HP and I can't find a spells that's particularly effective against them.

Cold. Which makes sense. Or would make sense if they didn't primarily live in caves.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Jack Trades posted:

they are easily frozen

makes it easier to jump on their back

which they are weak to

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Play posted:

Cold. Which makes sense. Or would make sense if they didn't primarily live in caves.

Does uhh Frigor do ice damage? Because I tried use that on lizardmen and it didn't seem to be particularly effective, other than ragdolling them.
I guess they probably just have a lot of HP.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Took ages messing with graphics settings because the game just looks blurry as poo poo to me.

After all that, though, it's seriously a lot of fun just exploring an area or just going from point A to B. There's little caves and camps dotted around the place. I've honestly enjoyed this far more than any quest or exploring round towns.

I found a cave full of slimes and had only one pawn with fire magic, and they only had that one spell equipped despite being lv 11. Most of that cave was me trying to corral slimes together and hurl an explosive barrel at them.

Another event a pawn I hired decided to lead me on my quest objective, which was just to head back to the capital from the starting area. It took all day. Just as I was coming up to the capital, I managed to blink strike towards a goblin at night and instead dashed off a cliff to my death. One wakestone after that, I was surrounded by ghosts and just blindly running around while my pawns tried to save me before the ghosts gassed me or whatever.

It's a really good game for telling stories about adventures gone wrong or right. The only issue so far is that combat can sometimes feel like a mosh pit, and trying to handle the camera during it is just as bad.

Excellent game, dumb microtransaction choices.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I waited 12 years for this sequel, I'd be damned if I let "5 healing items - $1.34"-grade dlc impact that.

Kind of regretting starting as an Archer because it was always my goal to switch into a Magick Archer as soon as I can. Games really making you work for it too, in comparison to the first. I feel like I'm watching my scrappy pawns have infinitely more fun than me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the dlc drama is stupid and overblown but also capcom did it to themselves. sucks for the devs of the game though.

and also game owns

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Yeah, not for a second do I actually believe that the director stating "I don't like fast travel" would have wanted to add dlc for additional fast travel.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
How does stat growth work in this one, do we know? Are your stats gained upon levelling based on your currently-equipped vocation like it was in DD1? Like, am I kneecapping myself if I switch my classes around too much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

your stat gains are based on your class but they average out to be the same at higher levels. you probably shouldnt switch class around too much though

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I wasn't sold on mage until I got frigor, and now I'm just yeeting whole armies of saurians and goblins while my pawns throw huge blocks of ice at their limp bodies :allears:

Jack Trades posted:

Just go to a pawn guild.

I went to a place in the main city and there was a vendor for a voice book that cost 2k RC? I'd love to know if there's a way to change it without buying that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone tried running a party without a mage? I feel like you just absolutely need a dude who can heal, and sadly that means I'm either running a party with a single melee fighter while I'm running archer and my pawn sorcerer for augment farming, or I'll have to switch my pawn back to mage in order to keep two melee fighters in play

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Until you find an infinite money fountain like the ur-dragon was or something like healing springs and empty bottles from the first game it feels wise to have a healer in the party.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
last night when I was doing a goblin cave I had a party with an archer, thief, and two fighters and the pawn fighter and I were shield bashing everything and barely needed to heal. I think you can go without a mage if you know your enemy.

e: their kind hates being bashed in the loving face, arisen

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've been having a lot of fun; my PC is a giant woman just throwing people around and my pawn is a horrid little greasy gremlin called OlManJenkins who I hope people hate looking at.

I also got into a hell of a fight with a troll that ended with it dropkicking itself, a mage pawn and myself holding onto it off of a cliff and into a river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I got the Trickster Augment that lets you detect Seeker's Tokens and boy those things are everywhere.