Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I thought about starting a wrestling GDT in SAS main, but thought I'd be the only one posting. I wish wrestling was bigger than it is, but I do think it will jump another level when women's wrestling becomes a major NCAA sport within the next two or three years.

Penn State is pretty much annihilating everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
6/6 in the semis. Will have a chance to break the record for most individual champs in a tourney tomorrow night. 8/10 still alive in their brackets and at all american status.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I didn't realize it was as big a deal as it is, wiki says there's 78 div 1 teams. I assumed it was like mens gymnastics (12 div 1 teams) or rugby which I assume is about the same.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I think high school wrestling is due for an increase in popularity in the next decade. I see a lot of kids trying out BJJ these days, most teens can apply a pretty decent rear naked choke just from watching ufc highlights. Considering most of the most effective poo poo in bjj is extremely similar to catch wrestling, I hope kids start taking an interest in it. I wish I had done it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

trevorreznik posted:

I didn't realize it was as big a deal as it is, wiki says there's 78 div 1 teams. I assumed it was like mens gymnastics (12 div 1 teams) or rugby which I assume is about the same.

I didn’t think there were a lot of wrestlers on a D I team. So ends up not being a lot of student athletes.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Hed posted:

I didn’t think there were a lot of wrestlers on a D I team. So ends up not being a lot of student athletes.

10 weight classes plus depth, more than the typical basketball team.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Has Saint Mary's ever done jack poo poo in the tournament? Feels like they're always over seeded especially if they beat Gonzaga during the season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Has Saint Mary's ever done jack poo poo in the tournament? Feels like they're always over seeded especially if they beat Gonzaga during the season.

Buddy, some crazy poo poo's gonna have to happen to get St. Mary's into the tournament. We're gonna have to go wayyyyyyy beyond 12 teams.

Also, they will have to start a football team.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol I have too many NCAA threads in my bookmarks huh

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

trevorreznik posted:

I think a lot of that has to do with the sec having no presence in wrestling. Oklahoma is still going to be in the big 12 for wrestling and I believe Mizzou is rejoining them next year as well.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
All you ever needed to know about the ACC leadership is that they thought Boston College was going to deliver the "new England College football market" when they poached em from the big east.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I dunno the ACC poaching the best football schools from the Big East and destroying a regional rival conference 20 years ago seems pretty prescient?

Unfortunately Miami and Virginia Tech both fell off hard in football and college basketball stopped being a driver of anything in college sports. It’s not like the Big Ten or SEC were particularly better run, they just benefited from having better football schools at the top end.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

trevorreznik posted:

I live in central PA and even though I know wrestling is huge in PA I was surprised when I started paying attention. The matches are super hyped up and a lot of fun. Shame I don't really understand most of the rules. I feel like I've missed out on being a fan for years because of just how insanely dominant Sanderson has been.

It's a sport that has really been taking off because of the popularity of UFC and other fighting stuff.

Jeremor posted:

I think high school wrestling is due for an increase in popularity in the next decade. I see a lot of kids trying out BJJ these days, most teens can apply a pretty decent rear naked choke just from watching ufc highlights. Considering most of the most effective poo poo in bjj is extremely similar to catch wrestling, I hope kids start taking an interest in it. I wish I had done it.

Yeah this.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Spring Portal is going to be action-packed.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Jeremor posted:

As a former high school wrestler, I kind of hope not. I doubt they've solved the culture around weight loss/cutting that's so pervasive and just not necessary for most kids to do. I'm trying to get my kid into judo just to avoid those issues, as I had some bad experiences with them personally.

I've watched the Olympic competitions for years (remember rulon Gardner?!) , but I try to watch any and all events for Olympics. You all should get hyped for it this summer, and just don't sweat the various rules.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 23, 2024

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

They knocked off 2-seeded Nova in the second round in....2011, I want to say?

Anyway, the Steven Godfreys of the world would have you believe that SEC fans are a Borg monolith chirping SEC SEC SEC and whatever talking points coming out of Birmingham HQ....and every time, I feel like they fundamentally do not understand us. Because I say to you now: loving LOL at Kentucky, Auburn, Florida, and Greg Sankey. Their pants-wetting defeats over the last two days have shone a sliver of sunlight on yet another crummy UGA hoops season.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

trevorreznik posted:

I try to watch any and all events for Olympics. You all should get hyped for it this summer, and just don't sweat the various rules.

Handball is a ton of fun if you've never watched. I watched a ton two Oly cycles ago. I think last games I watched a shitton of Judo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I love the Olympics and will watch anything they put in front of me. Like race walking. A few games back, it was the only sport that the US didn't send someone, because no one even tried to qualify. But I'll watch and figure out how to get invested in what might be the weirdest looking sport there is.

But ugh literally everything about the agony of how they cover the games

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My Olympic highlight was being a stay at home dad with a baby during the Rio Olympics and just watching hours of live feeds of any and all events. A bunch had ioc commentary which I didn't expect.

The feeds were available on Comcast, I think as part of how NBC got the rights. Then my spouse would watch the highlights on NBC at night and would be stuck waiting like 2 hours to see what Raisman and Biles had done

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sash! posted:

I love the Olympics and will watch anything they put in front of me.

Hell same.

Also finding random small countries who sent like 1 person and rooting for them hard.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If you could determine permanent OOC games for your favorite team/school, what would they be? In an ideal world Tulane would always play LSU, USM (Southern Mississippi), Ole Miss, and ULL. Auburn, GA Tech, and LA Tech just missed the list.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The MSU-Notre Dame rivalry was great when both teams were good. An unfortunate casualty of the ACC deal. Otherwise we play Western or Central basically every year as is. Would be kind of funny to have the same football relationship with one of them as basketball has with Oakland.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Spacebump posted:

If you could determine permanent OOC games for your favorite team/school, what would they be? In an ideal world Tulane would always play LSU, USM (Southern Mississippi), Ole Miss, and ULL. Auburn, GA Tech, and LA Tech just missed the list.

Clemson, North Carolina, coastal carolina and southern cal. Tempted by NC state too, but never really cared about them.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hed posted:

The biggest issue is that it's a non-revenue sport that doesn't/didn't have a female mirror, so you'd have a Title IX issue where you'd need to find a women's sport to match that number of scholarships. Schools will always sponsor more women's teams then men's due to the number of scholarships football offers, so having to find another dozen to offset wrestling becomes a non-starter outside of the hotbeds or those who sponsor everything under the sun like the old Pac-12 schools.

If women's wrestling does become a thing at the NCAA D1 level it becomes slightly less of an issue; it's still not a revenue generator and NIL isn't going to help the schools in that regard.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Texas' move to the SEC has all the rivals I really want to see covered (OU, A&M, Arkansas). TTU I guess would be the next up, but I'm pretty happy to leave them behind so I don't have to watch that Michael Crabtree clip every year. I could say Oklahoma State maybe. It's usually a fun matchup, and we've had some real all-timers with them over the years.

Yeah, I dunno, I'm gonna go with USC so I can be an old man reliving past glories every year.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Spacebump posted:

For USA (South Alabama):

UAB, Jacksonville State, Navy, and alternating year visits to Alabama/Auburn.

Navy being the only out of state school, but they've played before (Navy got the win on two horribly blown calls) and there's a huge retired Annapolis alumni population in the region, with Pensacola NAS being an hour away.

For Bama:

USC, Notre Dame, Penn State, and Southern Miss for the cupcake.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
My dream opponents:

Our six most played (as of whenever i looked last time):
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Memphis
Ole Miss
Kentucky
Georgia Tech

Five nearby that culturally vibe:
Memphis
Virgina Tech
NC State
Auburn
Cincinnati
West Virginia

I'd be willing to exchange NC State for Appalachian State. I just personally don't like Clemson and don't want them to be included in things, but they might make more sense than Cincinnati. I once had a girl who was half bear and half cat though

And then do a couple rotating. I didn't include Florida or Georgia because we didn't really play them often before the east west split (they were very afraid).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

OOC id like to see UF play FSU and Miami every year without exception.

Which would be bad because the SEC is just going to keep stacking our conference slate against us in perpetuity.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
At a certain point, would the SEC just say "no thanks, we're full"?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

GD_American posted:

At a certain point, would the SEC just say "no thanks, we're full"?

That point may be now. At least for FSU and Clemson. I'm still not convinced the SEC or B10 will invite either to be honest.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/KirkHerbstreit/status/1771326069750079957

Kirk just log off lmao

LeeMajors posted:

Which would be bad because the SEC is just going to keep stacking our conference slate against us in perpetuity.
Yeah why are they crushing you guys?

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 23, 2024

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

drunk leprechaun posted:

That point may be now. At least for FSU and Clemson. I'm still not convinced the SEC or B10 will invite either to be honest.

They would; that list of the top 17 most watched teams had those two on there; I think it was all teams who would be in the B1G/SEC next season with FSU/Clemson/Notre Dame.

No one's going to say or leak anything right now for fear of lawsuits/lack of leverage, but FSU/Clemson/UNC would get invitations from one of those two. Everyone else depends on numbers, I posted a tier list in the old thread on how desirable each ACC team was, so someone like UVA or Miami might get an invite while Wake and BC probably need to hope the American has room.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drunk leprechaun posted:

I can't imagine the B10 saying no to FSU.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wouldn't want to play the same teams.

My hunger is for the opposite: to defeat every FBS team. Doesn't matter to me if the last time a given opponent was decades ago, just at some point, Penn State won against them.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I don't understand the argument for getting Clemson into the SEC, but then here's Oklahoma.

Maybe FSU and Clemson should join the Big 12? The Big 12 could really use a marquee name and there's no BC, Syracuse, or SMU to drag down strength of schedule.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Yeah why are they crushing you guys?

No idea.

We’ve always had a pretty tough slate but the juxtaposition of our schedule with UGAs ridiculously soft schedules the past few years is pretty hilarious.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I would like to keep Bedlam going and I also like playing Tulsa. OU and Arkansas should have played more than 15 times in the last 125 years.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

dirty shrimp money posted:

I don't understand the argument for getting Clemson into the SEC, but then here's Oklahoma.

I don't get the appeal of Clemson either at this point. Has everyone in the SEC looked at their new schedules they are murder gauntlets. A 7-5 Clemson is not drawing a lot of eyeballs after a few years. They are such a beneficiary of their schedule, it's actually going to be a huge blow to them having the ACC collapse.

I eagerly await the Clemson fan to correct me on this matter.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dirty shrimp money posted:

Maybe FSU and Clemson should join the Big 12? The Big 12 could really use a marquee name and there's no BC, Syracuse, or SMU to drag down strength of schedule.

Clemson isn't a marquee name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

LeeMajors posted:

Typical Gator always ducking UCF. ;)