Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Went and added another page to the Pawn sheet with a little rundown on what each Specialization does cos it's weird and also I'm bored in work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone tried running a party without a mage? I feel like you just absolutely need a dude who can heal, and sadly that means I'm either running a party with a single melee fighter while I'm running archer and my pawn sorcerer for augment farming, or I'll have to switch my pawn back to mage in order to keep two melee fighters in play

Eat lots of berries? Half my weight is in apples right now and I had to stop turning them into brews so I don't become too heavy to keep going.

Anyway, is there any way to alter what's on your item quick menu? Down on the d-pad is your stamina restoration item I guess but it wants me to eat my precious princess potatoes and not the regular garbage ones and I don't want to accidentally waste it. Furthermore: I'm not a huge fan that you can't see how long you have left on your items before they decay. Or that my pawns sometimes just stop following me so wolves can jump my rear end while they stand around congratulating one another on the apples they just found.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like being able to use pawn commands without worrying that I'm going to ruin my pawn.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Neeksy posted:

I don't care if it doesn't make sense, my magick archer is gonna be a tall, buff dude.

Does being tall and skinny make sense for a MA? I remember making a tall character in the first game but he just looked very weird compared to everyone else so I went down to 180 or so (it was 190 before). What’s the stat disadvantage of being tall in this game again?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Nuebot posted:

Eat lots of berries? Half my weight is in apples right now and I had to stop turning them into brews so I don't become too heavy to keep going.
l

you should mince them into dried fruit once they ripen and then combine them with greenwarish. result weighs .05 per unit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So.... there's no way to change your pawns name.
And you can't start a new game without some cloud/local save fuckery.

Better make sure you get it right the first time around, folks.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

FauxLeather posted:

I waited 12 years for this sequel, I'd be damned if I let "5 healing items - $1.34"-grade dlc impact that.

Kind of regretting starting as an Archer because it was always my goal to switch into a Magick Archer as soon as I can. Games really making you work for it too, in comparison to the first. I feel like I'm watching my scrappy pawns have infinitely more fun than me.

Why do you regret it? Is archer not fun? I want to be a MA so logically I thought I’d start as an archer too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Archer is super strong. Get the explosive arrow skill, take down boss monsters in 4 well-aimed shots

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Broken Cog posted:

Archer is super strong. Get the explosive arrow skill, take down boss monsters in 4 well-aimed shots

Good. So excited to start playing today. Couldn’t pull the trigger yesterday and I wanted to go to bed early but now I’ve got the whole weekend for this :peanut:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong, climbing on enemies kind of sucks now? Pretty much any time they move you get locked into a really long "grab hold so you don't fly off" animation that consumes like half of my stamina and also you can't just jump off of them during this animation, so if they do that while I'm at half stamina I get to just fall off and take most of my health in damage then get hit and die. Also it takes most of my stamina just to reach the head of a cyclops or whatever.

EDIT: also I just noticed this game is doing a darksouls loving thing. Every time I "load from last save" my health is lower and lower. Lmao that's awful.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 23, 2024

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Broken Cog posted:

Found the Logistician specialization for pawns, the one that makes pawns rearrange the inventories of your party. It's from the high priest taking donations of food/gold outside the slums in Vernworth. Give a few donations and he'll give you a quick quest. Complete that.

Either I didn't get it from this quest, or I somehow sold the item that grants the specialization. Any idea on if there's another way to get it?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I added myself to the list. I can't play much this week. I work a ton of long night shifts. So a low level pawn is all I got.

I'm browsing the thread trying to avoid spoilers, so thank you everyone who is using tags. Glad people seem to be loving the game. the ~5ish hours I played on release day have me hooked. It's exactly what I was hoping for...More Dragons Dogma.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

George Sex - REAL posted:

Either I didn't get it from this quest, or I somehow sold the item that grants the specialization. Any idea on if there's another way to get it?

He came and visited me at my house like a day or two later and handed it to me.

Lots of Oblivion-esque radiant AI jank in this game and I love it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Impermanent posted:

What the gently caress is up with the brine BTW. Did they ever explain it in dd1

I had this pretty funny moment when I ended up in the brine just before we won a fight against some goblins or whatever:

Well she's technically correct, I'm not standing

8-bit Miniboss posted:

When you sleep at an inn.

Yeah, that's what I was curious about, too. It's a shame, I want to update my pawn as often as possible, but inns are pretty expensive in this game compared to the first one, at least during the early game.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 23, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

George Sex - REAL posted:

You have to come back to the priest and talk with him a bit later. You also get a scroll from the kid, should be hanging out in the temple garden.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Nuebot posted:

Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong, climbing on enemies kind of sucks now? Pretty much any time they move you get locked into a really long "grab hold so you don't fly off" animation that consumes like half of my stamina and also you can't just jump off of them during this animation, so if they do that while I'm at half stamina I get to just fall off and take most of my health in damage then get hit and die. Also it takes most of my stamina just to reach the head of a cyclops or whatever.

Thief seems to be the dedicated climbing on monsters class as I do a billion damage with Twin Fangs and barely lose stamina when climbing the monster.

Also I got my first portcrystal and I was looking for a permanent one in Sacred Arbor but I couldn't find one, is there one there? The internet is giving me dubious results

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Loten posted:

No idea if it was a bug or not, but I summoned SA User Phlegmish's Archer Fiona from the Goon spreadsheet, only she had no bow, so she spent every fight punching and kicking everything. Maybe not effective, but looked hilarious.

gently caress. Did I rest at an inn without a bow at some point? I just hope she wasn't bowless all night. I just logged in and immediately rested, try again. I'd refund your RC if I could.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Not having any luck with cross platform pawn searching. maybe that isn't enabled right now. Have Guld checked out for fighter duty.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
climbing onto the back of the head of a monster and driving a two-hander through the back of their skull as a warrior loving rules hard

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Btw I think I found the Ranger Tights that someone mentioned earlier. At first I was like, well this is actually relatively modest, but take off the body armor and it's a different vibe. No nudity but probably still on the NWS side: :nws:https://imgur.com/3l3gXEa:nws:

Yes, in typical RPG fashion this has better defensive stats than any other piece of legwear I've found so far.

I briefly considered sending her into the Rift dressed like that for the RC, but I will not stoop that low + the true epic gamers would want min-maxed pawns who actually wear armor anyway

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lakbay posted:

Thief seems to be the dedicated climbing on monsters class as I do a billion damage with Twin Fangs and barely lose stamina when climbing the monster.

Also I got my first portcrystal and I was looking for a permanent one in Sacred Arbor but I couldn't find one, is there one there? The internet is giving me dubious results

More and more I'm liking the idea of playing warfarer if I ever figure out how to unlock it.

Earlier a harpy attacked me, I did a jumping slash and spiked it off a cliff into the water and all the pawns I was with flipped their poo poo over this amazing new technique I discovered. I love the pawns in this game so much.

Also for how angry people were about the slimes not taking physical damage, they seem to do literally no damage and exist more as a hazard to annoy you

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Just added my pawn to the spreadsheet.

She's currently a level 11 archer but her vocation will change as soon as I change mine.

She's not based off of anyone or anything, but I'm happy with how she turned out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm looking into specializations for my pawn. Any of you guys know where to get the Woodland Wordsmith tome?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Can thief pawns get and do they use that auto-dodge maestro skill someone mentioned earlier?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

With how expensive resting at an inn is, it's a bit annoying that it's apparently the only way to sync your pawn. I'm fine sleeping by a campfire, just let my pawn go out and help other people!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kind of novel to make staying at an inn in a video game a luxury expense though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got jumped by a random ogre, while we were in the middle of fighting that stumbled across a pack of wolves, got knocked over by the ogre and one of the wolves loving picked me up and ran off with me!
Spent the next 30 seconds hammering the buttons ineffectually and screaming 'gently caress youuuu' at the TV.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
hmm. warrior seems insanely OP if you can hit the just-frames on the charge moves. taking giant chunks out of big monsters with the just-frame skywind splitter or whatever it's called shortens the fights significantly, especially since warrior has loads of HP and the skill that means you take (way?) less damage when charging attacks.

it's a lot more boring than climbing on things and stabbing them though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pmchem posted:

Can thief pawns get and do they use that auto-dodge maestro skill someone mentioned earlier?

Yep, any skill you get from a Maister unlocks for both you and your main pawn.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Can't find online where to find the Woodland Wordsmith tome, either.

But I might just go Forager, she'll stand out less but it seems more universally useful.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Inn prices seem to stay static, so you'll soon find way more than you use for it out in the wild.

I found 12000 gold from one chest earlier.

Edit: Bit tricky to shop in the Elven city

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 23, 2024

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone tried running a party without a mage? I feel like you just absolutely need a dude who can heal, and sadly that means I'm either running a party with a single melee fighter while I'm running archer and my pawn sorcerer for augment farming, or I'll have to switch my pawn back to mage in order to keep two melee fighters in play

keep picking stuff up and combining it. I'm finding it very easy to create high quality healing items, and being able to camp and cook out of town means I can have a party wide food buff for some improved stats and heal up lost hp. There are 2 d-pad shortcuts that automatically assign health and stamina items in inventory to the up and down button (not sure what the kb+m shortcut is).

Combine any 2 ripened fruits to make dried fruit (normal fruits become ripe automatically over time), and then combine the dried fruit with greenwarish to make fruit roborant which is a decent healing item. Same works with dried meat. Saurian tails are a good item for upgrading these even further to let them recover health and stamina, but that item doesn't get automatically put on a shortcut button.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mystic Spearman rules. Stunning enemies, teleporting around the battlefield, and using telekinesis to launch enemies and objects at other enemies. Hell yeah. Probably going to stick with this all the way through

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is there a way to tell your Archer pawn to use Explosive/Erupting Shot more judiciously? I have a limited supply of explosive arrows and she's wasting them on rats

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I was exploring outside the capital, I got the sense it’ll be dark soon and save an Ox Wagon from some goblins. I pay 100 gold or so for a ride back, I nod off and we get immediately attacked by an Ogre and a Griffin. I’m thinking no biggie once I kill the ogre I’ll ride back into town. The ogres then proceeds to smash the loving wagon.

Worst 100 gold I ever spent! It was awesome.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
*Runs past a campsite*

"No arisen! We shouldn't camp when we have no need!"
"Camping often is a waste of our resources!"
"We need not rest arisen! Let's continue on!"
etc etc etc

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
This game rules for getting lost, stopping to do sidequests and exploring random caves and PoIs you come across, then finally hobbling back to town, your backpack overflowing with random junk you collected, so you can take a rest and prepare for another journey. Just a really fun time wandering about, running into interesting situations and trying your best to make it back to town in one piece.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

The way the grass goblins try to spring an ambush by kind of crouching a bit in the dirt is hilarious. One of them jumped down from a tree and actually hit me and it started dancing with joy, and I don't blame it one bit.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

heard a griffon agro on me, turned to see it dive bomb straight into the ocean.

:laffo: get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I keep losing pawns without noticing it.
I think they keep slipping and falling into the water and the game doesn't even point it out to you when it happens.