Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Ugh. Some quests are really a bit questionable on the functioning side. Just quit in frustration after a few bugs on one. (It's called Prey for the Pack) and part of the reason the timed mission took too long is that one of the npcs that I needed to talk to wouldn't actually spawn until I sat on a bench. (And try guessing how long I searched for them in confusion) Then after going to the quest marker it just says 'go help him' with little direction. Okay you're supposed to follow the 'trail' of blue petals. Except it's a fantastically lovely trail that only has a handful spread out beyond the range that textures load in. It somehow expects you to divine it wants you to jump past a river, then half the time the trail just doesn't load. I eventually looked up where I'm supposed to go and it's a good run away down a road across that ravine. Aaand I fought with the bugs so long that I didn't get there in time.

Sigh. Yes, I know. gettin mad at video games, how pitiful. Just making note that the further you get from the starting kingdom the more cracks seem to appear.

(Wow what a page snipe. Guess there's no going back now. I do very much enjoy the game, to be clear. It just makes the missteps all the more disheartening.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I keep losing pawns without noticing it.
I think they keep slipping and falling into the water and the game doesn't even point it out to you when it happens.

yeah my pawn hasn't met a cliff that doesn't get the best of her. I wonder if its just a feature of being simple.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anyone know how to get the Forager's Tome? I did the Heel of History quest but I got a Logistician's Tome instead

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Deified Data posted:

Warrior feels perfect, finally feels like a whole class

I'm gonna have to switch. Archer is the most underwhelming class I've ever played in a game.

Also, the health mechanic is dreadful. Especially with no kind of dodge or anything.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 23, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

Anyone know how to get the Forager's Tome? I did the Heel of History quest but I got a Logistician's Tome instead

You can get it from the kid after the same quest. He should be hanging out around the temple garden there.

Anyone figured out if the headless statues that are scattered everywhere have any use?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

10 Beers posted:

I'm gonna have to switch. Archer is the most underwhelming class I've ever played in a game.

I felt this way too! It improved for me after I got more skills and learned how to perfect time the Dire Shot. The vocation is very boring for regular fights but feels much more fun against big enemies. It clicked for me when I realized, “oh I gotta be Legolas”.

I still switch often depending on my mood and the quest. It's nice that there's zero penalty other than inventory management.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Any guidance around getting my pawn to loot everything? I've hired pawns that will break every box and loot corpse and my pawn seems lazy by comparison

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

simple inclination is the looter pawn.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Man, walking all the way back for that quest was such a clusterfuck. There was a griffon north of the city that attacked me and while my party was running from it we ran into a troll. Then an ox cart caravan just wandered into the middle of everything. Absolute chaos

This thread is moving so fast, but I just wanted to reply by saying that this game owns so much exactly because of this emergent gameplay and narrative. Absolute fun.

I'm also very curious about how some quests can be resolved differently, and I really hope there's a NG+. I'm all for those old school hidden steps in those quests, personally.

Also, I find this Pawn system pretty amazing. You can setup quests for your pawn and give rewards to the players hiring them. I've been having a blast just completing some goons quests and giving them a nice gift afterwards :3:

That list in the OP is a godsend. Thanks Shoehead for taking the initiative to create it!

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

gently caress. Did I rest at an inn without a bow at some point? I just hope she wasn't bowless all night. I just logged in and immediately rested, try again. I'd refund your RC if I could.

haha dude don't worry about it. As I said, was more amusing than anything :)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jack Trades posted:

I think they keep slipping and falling into the water and the game doesn't even point it out to you when it happens.

Pawns long to swim.

I love this game. Also I threw this pig at another pig.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
God my kill speed has gone into overdrive now that I'm playing Warrior instead of Fighter

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I just lost a support pawn who got pushed into the brine by a wolf. Turned into a blood geyser just like that Nightmare on Elm Street scene.

After the fight, the remaining support pawn said something along the lines of 'that was an easy fight, we came through unscathed'.

drat that's cold

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I switched off Thief because I needed to be an Archer for a quest and now I keep seeing places I could easily bomb jump to and it's annoying. Also I resolved one sidequest in the dumbest way possible (related to a noble guy being sent off to fight a thing): the timed quest where you have to go help some guy fight a Dullahan. Well. The fight didn't go well but the Dullahan just leaves if it kills the guy for some reason. So I just Wakestoned him afterwards and it counted as rescuing him, heh. Sucks for his underlings tho, who also died.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

God my kill speed has gone into overdrive now that I'm playing Warrior instead of Fighter

Yeah having very high base damage is a big deal in DD since unless they changed it for DD2 (which I don't think they have just based on the general game feel so far), damage is calculated as a simple linear "damage taken = attack - defense" thing. So to make up some numbers, if you had 40 attack as a fighter and were attacking enemies with 30 defense, then switched to warrior with 60 attack, you might think your damage went up by 50%, but it didn't, it went up by 300%. It's how some enemies can go from "I literally cannot damage this, this is impossible" to "actually this is easy" once you've levelled up a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drakenel posted:

Ugh. Some quests are really a bit questionable on the functioning side. Just quit in frustration after a few bugs on one. (It's called Prey for the Pack) and part of the reason the timed mission took too long is that one of the npcs that I needed to talk to wouldn't actually spawn until I sat on a bench. (And try guessing how long I searched for them in confusion) Then after going to the quest marker it just says 'go help him' with little direction. Okay you're supposed to follow the 'trail' of blue petals. Except it's a fantastically lovely trail that only has a handful spread out beyond the range that textures load in. It somehow expects you to divine it wants you to jump past a river, then half the time the trail just doesn't load. I eventually looked up where I'm supposed to go and it's a good run away down a road across that ravine. Aaand I fought with the bugs so long that I didn't get there in time.

Sigh. Yes, I know. gettin mad at video games, how pitiful. Just making note that the further you get from the starting kingdom the more cracks seem to appear.

(Wow what a page snipe. Guess there's no going back now. I do very much enjoy the game, to be clear. It just makes the missteps all the more disheartening.)

You missed a couple things there. There's multiple people you can talk to, each of which gives more clues, and if you talk to them all the location you need to go to is flat-out marked on your map.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm loving Ensnare on the thief, so much fun yanking the legs of an off balance giant to cause it to fall over.

Also I swapped RB and LB and for some reason I'm having such a better time with the controls this way. No idea why my brain couldn't deal with LB being the special attack modifier but swapping those two has been perfect.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh yeah and whoever was talking about Saurians having tons of HP, it really is imperative that you chop those tails off. They seriously become so much easier to kill once you lop the tail off and then start wailing away.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ImpAtom posted:

You missed a couple things there. There's multiple people you can talk to, each of which gives more clues, and if you talk to them all the location you need to go to is flat-out marked on your map.

yea and sometimes a griffon lands on that spot before you get there any whatever dialogue or interaction was supposed to happen next just doesn't

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Is there any way to zoom the camera out? It feels like it's just like, a tiny bit too zoomed in so I can never really guard at the right time because I can never see the enemy attacking me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You can get it from the kid after the same quest. He should be hanging out around the temple garden there.

I found him, but he's not giving me anything. Nothing happens when I talk to him.

No, YOU'RE supposed to have something for me you little poo poo

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

A couple comments based on posts I've seen:

Inns feel expensive at the start but eventually you earn more gold so it doesn't really matter. Sell some fangs or something if you need to and give your pawns a rest. The first big city also has a house with a bed you can buy for 20k gold (and another pricier one for later).

I've successfully wandered around without a mage pawn. Pawns will heal themselves with any curatives and if they have the chirurgeon specialization (probably one of the first people run into) they will also heal other people as well. So I would say don't be afraid to experiment and don't feel like you need to have a mage pawn because you honestly probably don't.

Maybe part of that is how OP thief feels, I haven't really experienced too many difficulties in the first region. I'm kind of tempted just to switch my own pawn to thief to see how the AI handles the maister skills for it, but I doubt the pawn would be as badass with thief as I am lol.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

capcom's commitment to preventing me from running this game at any resolution above 1920x1080 is impressive

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
my main pawn is a thief, and while I don't have the maister skill on him yet, he still uses helm splitter, ensnare, fire knives, and dodges actively enough to hold his own in a fight and murderize pretty much anything.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

big nipples big life posted:

simple inclination is the looter pawn.

Thank you. Now how do I stop my pawns from calling me gay all the time

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I’ve never played Dragons Dogma but after my 200hr Baldurs Gate induced coma I want more high fantasy. I read that you can only have one save but I see people talking about changing classes. Is this something you can do whenever/for free (essentially?)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This game is not dark souls. But is hard in a different way, a battle of attrition, specially if you are on a zone underleveled.

Finding what to do gets better. You can hire a pawn that has already done the current quest and can carry you where you need to be.

---

I maxed the Sorcer and changed back to the mage to max it. I believe the passives you unlock are global, so unlocking more passives seems to make sense. I may try the lance class too, after mage. Leveling the mage is going to take a while, seems to be more passive than the sorcer.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

after all the worry over the game being hard on the cpu, i was able to run it just fine on my little ten year old machine with a tolerable level of frame jank in the city. granted, i've got like every graphic setting down as low as it can go but the game still looks great even like that

getting to high five your pawns after fights is so cute and the world feels so dense / big
just, is there no more clothing/armor division in equipment slots though? that's disappointing, i liked the fashion possibilities that had

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

The MTX stuff has been seriously overblown by reviews, it's incredibly unintrusive and essentially pointless. The performance, however, is truly quite bad and in a specific way that seems like it'd be hard to fix, remains to be seen. Other than that, game's great, exploration owns, quests own, combat owns.

I locked my performance at 30 and it stayed smooth in and out of city. I tried with 60 but it dipped inconsistently in the cities and was annoying. Stable 30 is solid smooth and I've never been bothered by 30fps. Everything still on high, RTX on, no upscaling garbage.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nuebot posted:

Is there any way to zoom the camera out? It feels like it's just like, a tiny bit too zoomed in so I can never really guard at the right time because I can never see the enemy attacking me.

Yes, camera settings.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tei posted:

This game is not dark souls. But is hard in a different way, a battle of attrition, specially if you are on a zone underleveled.

Finding what to do gets better. You can hire a pawn that has already done the current quest and can carry you where you need to be.

---

I maxed the Sorcer and changed back to the mage to max it. I believe the passives you unlock are global, so unlocking more passives seems to make sense. I may try the lance class too, after mage. Leveling the mage is going to take a while, seems to be more passive than the sorcer.

I had Mage for my initial Pawn and they level about two enemies after I do, because they died one time and weren't getting XP for a couple goblins. Their vocation levels up shortly after mine does as well.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I’ve never played Dragons Dogma but after my 200hr Baldurs Gate induced coma I want more high fantasy. I read that you can only have one save but I see people talking about changing classes. Is this something you can do whenever/for free (essentially?)

You can change vocations (this game's way of saying classes) basically whenever you want at an inn with a vocation guy in it. Learning skills costs points that you get every time you kill something (basically class exp). The save game thing is true and weird but you can just delete the save in your files manually if you want to restart with an entirely new character.

BG3 was my GOTY last year and I loved DD ever since it first came out. Obviously I highly recommend DD2 but they play very, very differently from each other.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

You can only change at inns or player housing but it's free after you unlock the class. Which usually involves a quest and a fee for you and your pawn. You start with fighter (sword and shield), mage, thief (daggers) and archer available.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Clocks posted:

You can change vocations (this game's way of saying classes) basically whenever you want at an inn with a vocation guy in it. Learning skills costs points that you get every time you kill something (basically class exp). The save game thing is true and weird but you can just delete the save in your files manually if you want to restart with an entirely new character.

BG3 was my GOTY last year and I loved DD ever since it first came out. Obviously I highly recommend DD2 but they play very, very differently from each other.

Excellent, thank you. I know they play super different but I’m getting Monster Hunter vibes from all the videos I’ve seen and I’m gonna go pick it up

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a ryzen 3600, and an Nvidia 3800. Will this game run ok on that CPU?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

turns out ox carts can be destroyed.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, DD2 is the most DD game since DD.

(Spoilers for first hour of gameplay)

After taking the oxcart to the capital I heard from a friend that skipping the cart and making a go of it on foot was brutal. So I did it on foot, ran into the minotaur, and stubbornly spent half an hour trying to kill him with my woefully under-levelled party. I finally did it, and right as he ran out of health a griffon crashed down from on high and one-shot me. It was awesome.

Is there any consensus on how base stat growth works this time? I keep hearing that it doesn't matter anymore, but I am definitely getting per-level stat increases by vocation, and it's making me feel bad for juggling vocations and having fun instead of picking a lane and grinding Assassin 200 levels so I can one-shot everything in the game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone tried running a party without a mage? I feel like you just absolutely need a dude who can heal, and sadly that means I'm either running a party with a single melee fighter while I'm running archer and my pawn sorcerer for augment farming, or I'll have to switch my pawn back to mage in order to keep two melee fighters in play

healing is nice to have, but if the party is vacuuning plants and fruits has they walk, theres enough mats to craft potions

is playable withouth a healer, is what I am saying

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

I didn't realize this was releasing today and went to the steam page and its "mixed", so of course I went and looked up actual reviews and looked at this thread and ended up buying it.

This is the way lol. Having the opposite opinion of steam reviewers is usually a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I don't really buy all the "The game is so advanced, so CPU intensive" explanations for the poor performance. I have a 7950X3D and have been getting the exact same performance that everyone seems to be getting regardless of their CPU.

Usage caps out at 30%