Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Goon Squad tag looks so good :unsmith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Musluk posted:

Once the ammo only 6x backpack drops I'mma grab that and a heavy machine gun and relive my bad company 2 days so hard

I'm really hoping that ground ammo packs will refill it, not just supply drops. If it does, hooo boy! All the bullets all the time!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The autocannon sentry is my new best friend against bugs. If you get it in a good spot where it doesn't get swarmed and killed immediately it absolutely fucks. It can solo chargers without much issue, it kills bile titans in a couple volleys. It murders everything that dares to get within 100m of it, especially if you support it with covering fire to kill all the scavengers and hunters.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So orbital airburst and various eagle strikes hit in a line, but is there any clear way to know which way the line is orientated? I thought it was perpendicular to the throw but lately I've got my head blown off a lot more by my strikes when I was sure I was way away from the line

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think there should be a "randomize loadout" button

It's funny when someone makes a long detailed post about their loadout like it's some kind of golden key because if you're not terrible at games you can pretty much use whatever.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Owlbear Camus posted:

Honestly, I'd legit use that.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

So orbital airburst and various eagle strikes hit in a line, but is there any clear way to know which way the line is orientated? I thought it was perpendicular to the throw but lately I've got my head blown off a lot more by my strikes when I was sure I was way away from the line

Eagle strikes depend on the angle between you and the beacon when you threw it, orbital strikes depend on the angle between the Super Destroyer (in the center of the map) and the beacon.

e: Also there's a operation modifier that gives orbital strikes random scatter, that might also be getting you killed.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Honestly, I'd legit use that.

Randomize load out but it gives you an extra slot

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Orbital Airburst hits a circle, Eagle Strafing Run hits a line straight ahead from you & the red beam, Eagle Airstrike, Cluster Bomb, and Napalm hit a line perpendicular to you & the beam

area is determined the moment the beam goes up

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cormack posted:

Randomize load out but it gives you an extra slot

lol thatd rule

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

We need to make this happen.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Been posting from my phone for years so can't even see the gang tag but would appreciate one anyway

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

this would be a dope planetary effect, all random all mid

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Darox posted:

Eagle strikes depend on the angle between you and the beacon when you threw it, orbital strikes depend on the angle between the Super Destroyer (in the center of the map) and the beacon.

e: Also there's a operation modifier that gives orbital strikes random scatter, that might also be getting you killed.
Also all the multi-hit orbitals are circular in nature, with the sole exception of the smoke orbital, I believe. Like orbital airburst will draw a circle around the beacon and drop 3 rounds inside said circle randomly.

Orbital scatter modifier is literally the worst if you actually want to use orbitals lol
https://i.imgur.com/7l4pzat.mp4

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Unhappy Meal posted:

Today the game dropped me above the destroyer after coming back from the mission so I ragdolled to the floor and rolled off into the Eagle bay.

I've actually been able to do a little more science on this.

So hitting ESC (or controller equivalent) to back out of the mission results screen seems to shove your diver a random direction and distance. I'm not sure if there's any prior input that controls it, and I've only seen movement in cardinal directions. Farthest shove recorded so far punted me into the armory section.

The mysteries of Democracy continue. :science:

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 23, 2024

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Insert name here posted:

Also all the multi-hit orbitals are circular in nature, with the sole exception of the smoke orbital, I believe. Like orbital airburst will draw a circle around the beacon and drop 3 rounds inside said circle randomly.

Orbital scatter modifier is literally the worst if you actually want to use orbitals lol
https://i.imgur.com/7l4pzat.mp4

The "MISSION COMPLETE" screen popping up after every limb on your body explodes into gibs makes this so much loving funnier.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Musluk posted:

Once the ammo only 6x backpack drops I'mma grab that and a heavy machine gun and relive my bad company 2 days so hard

I ran this and orbital gatling barrage on some bug missions and played like I was the Bulletmancer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah supply pack is clutch. It doesnt feel flashy but its incredibly helpful

I switched from +grenade armor to reduced explosive damage armor. I realized if I have a backpack that can give me 16 extra grenades and is basically a second resupply cooldown then I simply do not need the extra deep pockets and can just run around exploding everything anyways.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

havent played in awhile and hopped on yesterday. Apparently my beloved arc causes crashes so i had to come up with a new loadout for bugs. Tried to go with EAT, laser dog, and sickle, and let me tell ya, im now a full convert to the church of EAT

my god, i deleted every single charger like it was nothing. My poor buddy was getting upset cause he kept using his orbital railgun, but id get the charger before it could fire. I even killed a bile titan with the EAT drop pod. these drat things are incredible and im gonna have a tough time choosing what to take when they fix the lightning bugs

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Why not both

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

why'd I think airburst was a line & not a circle :doh: thanks, that explains a lot

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do you heal other players with your stims? Feels like I should be putting my medic armour sets to the use they were intended for. PS5 controls, BTW.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

How do you heal other players with your stims? Feels like I should be putting my medic armour sets to the use they were intended for. PS5 controls, BTW.

Just walk up to them and hit the use button if they're hurt.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm on mouse and keyboard, how do I resupply myself with the supply backpack

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Benagain posted:

Default key is 5.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

havent played in awhile and hopped on yesterday. Apparently my beloved arc causes crashes so i had to come up with a new loadout for bugs. Tried to go with EAT, laser dog, and sickle, and let me tell ya, im now a full convert to the church of EAT

my god, i deleted every single charger like it was nothing. My poor buddy was getting upset cause he kept using his orbital railgun, but id get the charger before it could fire. I even killed a bile titan with the EAT drop pod. these drat things are incredible and im gonna have a tough time choosing what to take when they fix the lightning bugs

Add in stun grenades and it gets kind of nutty. You can stun a charger -> call in the EAT with a good chance of sticking the beacon to it and either killing it or stripping armor -> clean up small enemies who also got stunned by your first nade -> stun again once the EAT lands for a free shot and then clean up any more trash that also got stunned.

The stun+EAT+500kg combo is probably the strongest tool for dealing with bug heavies right now. Bile titans are harder to stun but stun -> 500kg -> stun combo basically guarantees a hit on them and even if you miss they probably took enough damage that you can finish them with 1 or 2 EAT.

poo poo feels OP as hell but you do give up a lot to do it - losing easy nest clear is big and even bigger is losing the ability to 1 shot spewers. And then on top of it you need to dedicate 2x stratagems to it, arguably 3 because if you really want to roleplay as a spell caster and spam stuns you probably need a supply pack to sustain that.

It’s really satisfying playing a support role once you get some of the EMS and stun unlocks. EAT+500kg+supply pack+EMS mortar is such an insane power multiplier for your team and feels so fun to play that it’s worth giving up the extra eagle or orbital fire power and support weapons (your team probably already has enough of both anyways).

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 23, 2024

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It takes a second after you press 5 to do a little animation before you actually get your ammo and I don't know if you can do it while running. It takes a little planning ahead to stay topped up.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The sickle is fun but it's so bad against bile spewers and stalkers. Hive guards are also annoying to deal with, the amount of fire you can put out means they won't really close with you, but actually killing them takes aim and time. I prefer the breaker for eradicate missions where you will have stuff up close and personal all the time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

thotsky posted:

Unless you have a third hand you'll be giving up aiming while stratting.
This is normal for people who want to move while entering the sequence.
I have it still to "press" ctrl instead of "hold" ctrl, and then strat input keys are arrow keys.
So I tap ctrl and take hand off mouse to wuickly ise arrow keys, and then hand back on mouse and I can aim when I throw it.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

magiccarpet posted:

Why not both

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

As a fully-devout member of the Church of EAT rear end, I have now settled on my maximum sustained freedom loadout that's great for both bugs and bots and doesn't require depending on tesla.

Sickle
P-19 Redeemer
Boring standard grenades (other players, feel free to switch out for preference)
Eagle Airstrikes
Orbital Laser
EAT rear end
Autocannon

The autocannon gives me the ability to rapidly engage medium-armor/long-range targets quickly and reliably, and EATs are effectively a rapid-fire orbit railcannon that gives your team two AT weapons upon impact. Anything the autocannon can't handle, EAT rear end will kill. Since I'm running the Sickle as a PDW, any ammo I get from a backpack or on the map directly feeds the autocannon only.

Running EATs also frees up slots for the other players to run any strat they want that isn't AT.

Orbital laser is great for fire-and-forget Bile Titan/hard target kills (such as those stupid Shriekers nests), and Eagle 1 airstrikes are just great general purpose since I have a fully upgraded Eagle hanger.

Let freedom ring baby!

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 23, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Reiley posted:

It takes a second after you press 5 to do a little animation before you actually get your ammo and I don't know if you can do it while running. It takes a little planning ahead to stay topped up.

Does it? It always felt pretty instantaneous to me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't like the airstrikes; they don't seem to reliably deal with large targets nor take out 50 eggs like a well placed 500 Kg bomb does. They kind of seem like they're a compromise between the rocket pods and the 500Kg bomb, but if you have EATs you already have direct damage options.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 23, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But they are so good for closing bug holes and destroying bot factories. They aren't the best at any one thing, but they are good for pretty much anything.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Benagain posted:

Hwurmp posted:

Default key is 5.

Reiley posted:

Yeah, hit 5 on keyboard to resupply. The only issue is if you're running around you'll hear the sound but you won't get any ammo and the box won't be used up. I find I have to stand still for half a second.

Thankfully it won't actually devour your charge, it will just play the sound and confuse you. Check to see if your backpack actually loses a box.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Eh might be late to the party on this one, but gun dog has a big advantage in that it doesn't kill your or your teammates (mostly).

The laser is still better though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thotsky posted:

I don't like the airstrikes; they don't seem to reliably deal with large targets nor take out 50 eggs like a well plced 500 Kg bomb does. They kind of seem like they're a compromise between the rocket pods and the 500Kg bomb, but if you have EATs you already have direct damage options.

Eagle Airstrike and Cluster Bomb are for lots of small targets. They both have a much bigger AoE than the 500K. Cluster Bomb has more uses than Airstrike and hits a wider area, but can't kill structures.

Napalm Strike just sucks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Internet Explorer posted:

But they are so good for closing bug holes and destroying bot factories. They aren't the best at any one thing, but they are good for pretty much anything.

Yeah, this. Friend of mine closed up 4 bug holes with one eagle airstrike last night lol.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Cluster Bomb Airstrike almost always guarantee at least one team kill, that's a bonus.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Eagle airstrike is absolutely incredible against bot bases and bot formations. It’s not super good against hulks but it kills everything else including tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Maybe it's a playstyle thing. We're doing level 7 and focusing on getting super samples, completing the objective and avoiding enemies as much as possible. Closing bug holes have become more of a thing we do if we find ourselves in a really good position.