Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Coolness Averted posted:

Also I'm pretty sure at least 1 of these is true
A. Ps5 performance is better than some PCs folks are playing on,
B. The city gets worse the more npcs you've interacted with or otherwise has some condition that triggers worse performance,
C. Players are whiney babies,

Because honestly even in the main city at night stuff hasn't seemed that bad. There's definitely a performance hit, and it seems to drop to 20-30 fps when the camera wheels around in certain directions, but I'm not seeing the sort of "this is unplayable or really bad on the eyes" I was expecting.

A and C, but especially C. Yeah the performance in cities sucks but people will talk like it utterly ruins the game.

Jack Trades posted:

There, I found it for you.

lol I played DD1 on PS3, 20 FPS would've been a blessing a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! If anyone else comes along wondering it’s Philbert’s Sundries. I’m having a heck of a time making any progress before nightfall most of the time and nightfall seems very scary so I think I’m gonna need to invest in a lot of kits

Just in case you're under the impression that they're consumable: they aren't. You only lose them if you get attacked by monsters (which I haven't had happen yet despite camping a lot). You get to keep it if nothing happens and there are quite a few free ones lying around.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Game rules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_jhCDBVUjw

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Picked up the game but haven't started yet, trying to pick a vocation.

It sounds like a vocations are locked at the start, how does that work? If I pick a starting vocation is it easy to change later in the game or if I wanna pick a new one do I have to start over?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

It sounds like a vocations are locked at the start, how does that work? If I pick a starting vocation is it easy to change later in the game or if I wanna pick a new one do I have to start over?

Its pretty easy to switch vocations, and you'll unlock more through quests.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Popete posted:

You can change vocations at any inn and it only costs a small amount of class exp to do it the first time you switch to a vocation, it's not a big deal

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Popete posted:

You're locked into your starting vocation for like an hour at most and then it's free to change.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jack Trades posted:

There, I found it for you.

Right, I said it's possible they're whiney babies

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

As people have mentioned, changing vocations is trivial, you even get a free set of starter gear when you pay the (very small) cost to unlock a vocation. So there's essentially zero significance to your starting class other than saving one payment of that (again, very small) unlock cost.

Actually, thinking about it, your starting vocation is the only one you don't get the free starter gear for (other than a weapon), so if anything there's more benefit for the classes you don't start as.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm genuinely jealous of people that are unbothered by unstable 30 fps.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I would like my player character's location arrow on the map to be a different color pls

This is my #1 complaint so far. I lose track of it almost immediately.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Your Master gets turned into a literal pulp and that's all you have to say?

I made her Calm but I fear I may have created a monster

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Please take Danny DeVito with you on your adventures, thank you.

he's waiting

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 23, 2024

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Hel posted:

hey Goodchild did you fail to save the guy from the Dullahan? Because your pawn Morgan LeFay claimed he died after I succeed in doing it, mostly thanks to her leading me straight up a mountain so I could bypass a locked gate and get there in time. Nice to see that the pawns react to differences in choices/success of some missions.

I just ran that quest with that pawn who was great for showing me the way but the quest target got knocked into the water during the fight and there wasn't a body for me to wake stone. I didn't notice if she commented on it or not after the fact though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Nuebot posted:

Eat lots of berries? Half my weight is in apples right now and I had to stop turning them into brews so I don't become too heavy to keep going.

Anyway, is there any way to alter what's on your item quick menu? Down on the d-pad is your stamina restoration item I guess but it wants me to eat my precious princess potatoes and not the regular garbage ones and I don't want to accidentally waste it. Furthermore: I'm not a huge fan that you can't see how long you have left on your items before they decay. Or that my pawns sometimes just stop following me so wolves can jump my rear end while they stand around congratulating one another on the apples they just found.

I had no idea there were item shortcuts. Is up health then?

Nuebot posted:

Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong, climbing on enemies kind of sucks now? Pretty much any time they move you get locked into a really long "grab hold so you don't fly off" animation that consumes like half of my stamina and also you can't just jump off of them during this animation, so if they do that while I'm at half stamina I get to just fall off and take most of my health in damage then get hit and die. Also it takes most of my stamina just to reach the head of a cyclops or whatever.

EDIT: also I just noticed this game is doing a darksouls loving thing. Every time I "load from last save" my health is lower and lower. Lmao that's awful.

Press rt (or whatever grab is for you) again to release your hold, sometimes that is necessary.

I haven't had any issues climbing, but it could be related to class and armor as well. I'm playing a thief which probably has better stamina than a huge fighter or warrior. Also, if you want to stay grabbed on longer just use a stamina item to recoup so you can stay on there.

explosivo posted:

I'm loving Ensnare on the thief, so much fun yanking the legs of an off balance giant to cause it to fall over.

Also I swapped RB and LB and for some reason I'm having such a better time with the controls this way. No idea why my brain couldn't deal with LB being the special attack modifier but swapping those two has been perfect.

Ensnare and it's upgrade is so good, both for small monsters (especially harpies of course) and big ones. Small ones instantly get knocked over and you can just wail on them. Also helm splitter. Helm splitter is loving crazy good, especially with elemental on it, literally just melts health bars so fast.

Zodack posted:

That's good confirmation I guess, serves to make me more paranoid but I've absolutely had NPCs go "Arisen, I'm worried about this thing. Maybe you could look at it?" and I check my quest log and nothing. Could be the quest is picked up at a different point but the timer still runs? Feels pretty Dragon's Dogma

I think those are like tertiary quest information people, sometimes you need to find the actual quest giver maybe?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

I said come in! posted:

This is the best open world RPG ever made.

I used to work for a large software company and managed to finagle an invite to E3 one year. I went to Capcom's booth and begged them, BEGGED them, to make a sequel to this game. I still remember how shocked they were that someone knew about their crazy Dragon's Dogma thing - it sold poorly and had a very mixed reception.

I snagged nine copies of the original / Dark Arisen (at a huge discount, since I was in the industry... I'm insane but not that insane) so I could give them away to people who were skeptical about this glorious mess.

It's not a lie to say I've been waiting 20 years for this game, and that it delivers.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Play posted:

I had no idea there were item shortcuts.?

Anyone know how to do this with mouse and keyboard?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong, climbing on enemies kind of sucks now? Pretty much any time they move you get locked into a really long "grab hold so you don't fly off" animation that consumes like half of my stamina and also you can't just jump off of them during this animation, so if they do that while I'm at half stamina I get to just fall off and take most of my health in damage then get hit and die. Also it takes most of my stamina just to reach the head of a cyclops or whatever.

Lmao I have had the exact opposite experience but In pretty sure Theif is meant to be the deadly monkey on the back class. The spin slash attack often just mutilates perfectly at face or weak spot height and as a bonus can stick you right on the back of the monsters, near the head or neck often enough to you can just execute Gut n Run and rip off a huge bar of HP. Don't need to waste stamina crawling around when I just spin attack on top.

Also Carry around stamina roburants and don't be shy about guzzling them down when fighting a big monster. Nothing slows the fight down more than wasting good attack time recovering stamina.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Is there a way to actually assign specific items to the quick-use d-pad menu or does the game just decide for me what I want to have there?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Really hope the story is absolutely bonkers still

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Owl Inspector posted:

a dark souls 2 style HP penalty per death (but about 3x as severe as that game) is not something I expected and it suck rear end

Camping is free

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
"Rifstone of Abundance" lmao

It has pawns with "a distinct upper body".

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Game’s good. Was hanging onto a stone golem that jumped off a cliff, survived and got the kill

Now riding the roof of some rich guy’s fancy oxcart to wherever it ends up

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Right. I'm not making it to the capital with my remaining 18 minutes, so I guess this is what I'm thinking about :
  • I've been using the geforce game optimizer to find good settings, but loving with stuff manually could have better results.
  • I'm getting 50-70 fps in wilderness, somewhat variable, which I'm not bothered with. 60 FPS is nice, but I'm really not bothered by 50.
  • I'm dipping down into the forties in the non-capital encampments, which makes me nervous about the capital.
  • I've got a 3080 and a Ryzen 7 5700X, which isn't brand new I'll grant you, but it's braved everything I've thrown at it with gusto.

Anyone with a similar situation or setup have a trip report? Maybe how they're feeling after ten hours or so? I don't need 60+ fps from every game I play, but I think my main worry is just that it seems a bit unstable at this point and I don't wanna hit a cool set piece and suddenly have to deal with a very variable frame rate. I think this game has the juice so it's not gonna take much to convince me.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I keep trying to (and will never stop) jump cancel my ending cast animations like in DDog1 but Capcom hates gamer optimization.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! If anyone else comes along wondering it’s Philbert’s Sundries. I’m having a heck of a time making any progress before nightfall most of the time and nightfall seems very scary so I think I’m gonna need to invest in a lot of kits

This seems to be a common misconception:

Camping kits are reusable. They are packed up and reclaimed upon waking up. The only ones that get consumed are the lesser quality ones and usually only if you get a monster raid. You do not need to carry more than 1 kit in your party especially if you have the Explorer's Kit, which is NOT deluxe edition exclusive. It's sold at The Nameless Village.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Do you guys find pawn AI breaking a bunch? I've had several where they've just kind of stopped and stood still, sometimes it seems fixable but right now all three are just standing there doing gently caress all, they won't come when called, if I pick them up and carry them somewhere they'll just wander off and go back to staring at a wall in the middle of a bunch of nothing interesting.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
haven't run into that myself but I did have a pawn hanging back to cast anodyne while I was In The poo poo a bunch, which honestly seems practical in an all out explosive kegs brawl.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gyoru posted:

This seems to be a common misconception:

Camping kits are reusable. They are packed up and reclaimed upon waking up. The only ones that get consumed are the lesser quality ones and usually only if you get a monster raid. You do not need to carry more than 1 kit in your party especially if you have the Explorer's Kit, which is NOT deluxe edition exclusive. It's sold at The Nameless Village.

lol i couldn't figure out why i always seemed to have one, this fully got me

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can't figure out how to actually use the Chirurgeon specialization thingy. Do I need to go to the pawn guild to use it?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

Right. I'm not making it to the capital with my remaining 18 minutes, so I guess this is what I'm thinking about :
  • I've been using the geforce game optimizer to find good settings, but loving with stuff manually could have better results.
  • I'm getting 50-70 fps in wilderness, somewhat variable, which I'm not bothered with. 60 FPS is nice, but I'm really not bothered by 50.
  • I'm dipping down into the forties in the non-capital encampments, which makes me nervous about the capital.
  • I've got a 3080 and a Ryzen 7 5700X, which isn't brand new I'll grant you, but it's braved everything I've thrown at it with gusto.

Anyone with a similar situation or setup have a trip report? Maybe how they're feeling after ten hours or so? I don't need 60+ fps from every game I play, but I think my main worry is just that it seems a bit unstable at this point and I don't wanna hit a cool set piece and suddenly have to deal with a very variable frame rate. I think this game has the juice so it's not gonna take much to convince me.

This is very subjective, but I've got a 3070 and Ryzen 9 3900X, which I'm not sure exactly how it compares to yours CPU-wise (I don't understand their versioning at all), but my experience has generally been pretty consistent 60 FPS in the wilderness, with a noticeable dip in the capital but I'm not sure exactly what it dips down to since I haven't really been checking. It's extremely noticeable but also still playable, it's not so choppy that I have control issues due to the lower/inconsistent FPS, it's more that it looks bad than a "this area is unplayable" thing. It is something I am able to tolerate but that's where the subjectiveness comes in - it is something you do just have to tolerate and it comes down to whether or not noticeable performance loss in that one area is acceptable to you. If not it is a thing I would recommend refunding and just keeping an eye on to see if they address it in a future patch.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

I have an RTX 3070 and an i5-12600K. I don't know how your CPU compares to mine, but you have a better graphics card. I had similar framerates as yours, and in Vernworth it dropped to around 40-55 on average. It's noticeable, and as a :pcgaming: I don't like it, but you do get used to it fairly quickly. During the big fights in the wilderness my FPS are fine, it really is something about the big city specifically that is causing issues.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh gently caress the lich fight in the waterfall cave up north loving rules. there’s a chimera in there too but whatever

related to the above:

the death tornado he summons and fills the entire room with was 1-shotting my pawns lol
anodyne, the mage heal move, does a respectable amount of holy damage, turns out. Absolutely won that fight for me.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Is sending your pawn to the rift to help other players something you do manually or is it automatically done in the background? As far as I can tell my pawn hasn't helped anyone and I don't see an option or mention in the tutorial of how to send him.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Get Innocuous! posted:

Is sending your pawn to the rift to help other players something you do manually or is it automatically done in the background? As far as I can tell my pawn hasn't helped anyone and I don't see an option or mention in the tutorial of how to send him.

It's automatic, but you specifically have to rest at an inn (or later on, a player owned home) to get updates about it. Camping doesn't count.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, if anyone else has been looking for Miasmatite or w/e. It seems to only drop from ghosts that only show up at night.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's automatic, but you specifically have to rest at an inn (or later on, a player owned home) to get updates about it. Camping doesn't count.

Thanks! That did it. He came back with two hearts :buddy:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

When you miss seeing a pawn with their hand out for five and you leave them hanging :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What time of day are you supposed to start following the homeless story teller guy, I can never catch him leaving