Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Completed it after 94 hours, a couple of side quests unfinished but I just had fatigue towards the end and couldn't be bothered. Yuffie is silly overpowered and the whole game felt like easy mode from the moment she joined but she was so fun to play as she was my permanent party leader.

What's the ETA for part 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Frankston posted:

What's the ETA for part 3?

Unknown, but guesses have it at 2027 for the 30 year anniversary

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

We're supposedly not getting a DLC for Rebirth the way we got the Yuffie DLC for Remake, so they can focus all their energy on part 3, and I've heard they already have a lot of the assets that they're taking from Rebirth, and the biggest thing they want to make sure they get right is the Highwind, so maybe it'll lead to a shorter development time?

It's way to early to speculate too much right now, but yeah, 2027 seems reasonable.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah they have a lot of the assets for the open world made already so that’ll definitely be a time saver

EDIT: Ok I definitely wouldn’t have figured out the trick to the 3rd Glide de Chocobo course on my own. Maybe it’s not the intended method but if not I don’t know how you’d get the last 2 rings

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 23, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You can get the final two rings without doubling back, it's just a lot tighter in timing to do so. Way easier to double back for the lift for more height going into the final dive.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Having a hell of a time navigating Cosmo Canyon, there’s map markers I just can’t find any way to access, the nearest chocco ramps are too far away, can’t overcome the verticality of it. I’m so tired

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Moving on to the final simulator challenges I guess it's time to bring back some formerly non urgent questions I had earlier.

How the gently caress does White Terror actually work? The assess screen mentions he has energy that builds up and depletes when you block attacks and deal damage and he becomes pressured when it runs out but this is clearly a lie or a mistranslation or something because across every fight in all the difficulties I have never once seen him pressured despite pouring on enough damage to just stagger him normally. But now it's gotta be done with Solo Cloud which I can do until inevitably he gets an Earsplitting Howl which might as well be Zanteksuken in this context, since it hits from multiple directions with what appears to be unshakable tracking and each hit stunlocks. I've noticed the AoE can be guarded or counterstanced and one time when I did this there just weren't any homing shots, so I got to continue pouring on damage and perfect guards until he used it again, and I have no idea how the first one was defused. This is the second fight out of five that must be done in a row. I have a feeling I am in for a very very bad time but this is the last thing for the Platinum.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think the deal with White Terror is that it's literally constantly charging energy, even at the same time you're depleting it by dealing damage. So you have to have absurdly high DPS to actually hit net negative. I only got it pressured in one encounter where the Rancid Breath enemy skill landed stop and poison, and then I dumped everyone ATB into it. A solo character fighter sounds like hell.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fedule posted:

Moving on to the final simulator challenges I guess it's time to bring back some formerly non urgent questions I had earlier.

How the gently caress does White Terror actually work? The assess screen mentions he has energy that builds up and depletes when you block attacks and deal damage and he becomes pressured when it runs out but this is clearly a lie or a mistranslation or something because across every fight in all the difficulties I have never once seen him pressured despite pouring on enough damage to just stagger him normally. But now it's gotta be done with Solo Cloud which I can do until inevitably he gets an Earsplitting Howl which might as well be Zanteksuken in this context, since it hits from multiple directions with what appears to be unshakable tracking and each hit stunlocks. I've noticed the AoE can be guarded or counterstanced and one time when I did this there just weren't any homing shots, so I got to continue pouring on damage and perfect guards until he used it again, and I have no idea how the first one was defused. This is the second fight out of five that must be done in a row. I have a feeling I am in for a very very bad time but this is the last thing for the Platinum.

You just have to limit break to invuln through the howl, so the gotterdammerung is a must-have.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wamsutta posted:

Having a hell of a time navigating Cosmo Canyon, there’s map markers I just can’t find any way to access, the nearest chocco ramps are too far away, can’t overcome the verticality of it. I’m so tired

I gave up on trying to get to specific markers and just tried to find as many Chocobo gliding ranges as I could to jump off of. A lot of them have propellers in front of them or visible landing pads that make it easy to tell where you’re intended to go. If you just try to explore organically like that you’ll eventually end up hitting all the towers and stuff.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
After playing remake and about halfway through rebirth, this series just isn’t as good as the original.

Sure it looks incredible and even plays better in certain spots, but there are just too many things that are irritating as hell.

I’ve never been so annoyed by a video game. Enemies that disappear when trying to hit them, enemies that are out of reach to normal weapons, bosses that have gotcha moves that either require you to restart the battle or look up how to beat it. MP that is inexplicably too low. It’s like they are going out of their way to annoy gamers with the systems they created.

And I haven’t even started on the mini games.

None of these annoyances were in the original. The presentation is good enough to continue but there’s so many little things that pile up, I’ll probably leave with a sour experience.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean the MP gets too low when you use spells. Nothing inexplicable about it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cloud and Tifa have air combos

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

20 hours into rebirth i have never felt like i have been low on MP.... I used one ether out of my pile of ethers on a major boss once

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
always going to get that one person who writes screeds against soup because they've been trying to eat it with a fork

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The answer to everything is Yuffie

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Books On Tape posted:

I’ve never been so annoyed by a video game. Enemies that disappear when trying to hit them, enemies that are out of reach to normal weapons, bosses that have gotcha moves that either require you to restart the battle or look up how to beat it. MP that is inexplicably too low. It’s like they are going out of their way to annoy gamers with the systems they created.

Which bosses did you have to look up how to beat?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

After playing remake and about halfway through rebirth, this series just isn’t as good as the original.

Sure it looks incredible and even plays better in certain spots, but there are just too many things that are irritating as hell.

And I haven’t even started on the mini games.

None of these annoyances were in the original. The presentation is good enough to continue but there’s so many little things that pile up, I’ll probably leave with a sour experience.

How in the world are you running out of MP?

Also lol at minigames not being in the original FF7

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Actually in Rebirth I'm using less MP than ever since you have free moves to proc elemental weaknesses and items that can heal all three party members with one ATB

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Speaking as someone with a proven track record in complaining at length and in depth about this game's many missteps; huh?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Elemental abilities don't use MP but they don't charge synergy either. In regular fights however you shouldnt be using much MP because the fights don't last long enough to trigger synergy abilities

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I have been using umbral blade for like 30 hours now jfc I want a new sword

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

In my 94 hour playthrough I can count on one hand the number of times I needed to pop an ether in battle

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Every time I resorted to using ethers it turned out a bench was right around the corner.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

WaltherFeng posted:

Elemental abilities don't use MP but they don't charge synergy either. In regular fights however you shouldnt be using much MP because the fights don't last long enough to trigger synergy abilities

Yeah they do barely any damage either. Thankfully obtaining them also buffs materia for the same element so they’re still worthwhile even if you never use them

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

ImpAtom posted:

How in the world are you running out of MP?

Also lol at minigames not being in the original FF7

Healing after every few fights. Even Aerith the caster runs out after the fourth Cura or so. Then we need to find a bench, oh but wait we have to craft a cushion before we can use it for some stupid inexplicable reason. I mean, why?

Again, it’s all little things when looked at by themselves but they add up to be annoying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

Healing after every few fights. Even Aerith the caster runs out after the fourth Cura or so. Then we need to find a bench, oh but wait we have to craft a cushion before we can use it for some stupid inexplicable reason. I mean, why?

Again, it’s all little things when looked at by themselves but they add up to be annoying.

Aerith literally begins equipped with a materia that lets ger group heal for free and potions are absurdly plentiful. You don't need to be spamming Cura 24/7

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pro tip for healing outside of combat: You can put heal on characters that aren't in your party and have them heal you(they still have MP though).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Something's going terribly wrong if you're needing to full heal after every overworld fight. Or even after 3 or so, they're generally not the most challenging things. Perhaps unless a worm is involved.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Books On Tape posted:

Works on my machine.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

RatHat posted:

Pro tip for healing outside of combat: You can put heal on characters that aren't in your party and have them heal you(they still have MP though).

This is what I’m talking about. Aerith is not in my party. She can heal about 4 times before needing a rest. This is waaaaaaay less than old school final fantasy games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like unironically, just off the top of my head:

1) You start with Prayer, which is a very useful heal. You don't even need to keep it on Aerith. Toss it on Barret and he can be healing constantly for no cost
2) Use healing items, of which you probably have a plentiful stock of. MIst stuff should be saved for battle healing but there's little real reason to bother with it outside of that.
3) Fast travel back to town and sleep at an inn. If you have a chocobo bench you can fast travel right back. Cushions are mostly for Hard Mode.
4) Aerith's limit break fills very quickly so if you're using her in battle you probably have Healing Wind active pretty regularly
5) You don't need to be at max HP at all times and it isn't worth topping off your HP between every fight.
6) Barret's Lifelink skill means you can focus healing on him instead of other characters reducing the amount of items/healing you need
7) Always Be Blocking
8) Several characters have abilities that give them healing or regen on certain actions.
9) Chakra isn't as good as Prayer but (especially once it gets a few levels) is extremely reliable self-healing on any character who builds AP quickly. Tifa starts with this.
10) Most characters have one or more options to severely reduce the damage they take. Red XIII can absorb attacks with Sentinel Stance, Yuffie can nosell with Brumal Form, Cloud can ruin a melee attacher's day with Punisher, Tifa has powerful dodges with synergy skills, Barret can tank and Iron Wall like nobody's business, and Cait Sith has a giant enemy-attracting Moogle that absorbs enemy attacks and can be replenished regularly.

Books On Tape posted:

This is what I’m talking about. Aerith is not in my party. She can heal about 4 times before needing a rest. This is waaaaaaay less than old school final fantasy games.

That is because you have more options than in old school Final Fantasy games, in addition to potions and ethers. Cure is not something you need to be using in every situation, especially early on where enemies are not dangerous enough to need it and you don't have a Magnify materia yet.

Edit: Like, to be clear here, I barely used Cure before I got Magnify and only used it afterwards in an emergency and never really between battles. It's a spell you use for Big Hits, not topping off.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 23, 2024

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Well that’s credits at like 84 drat hours. And I think 8 of those were on the last dungeon. Jesus that was gratuitous.

I hope the finale isn’t too far off. I can see the four year gap between remake and this because of the change in scope and having to work around the pandemic, but a similar gap might prove detrimental to game sales. Especially if it ends up being on a new console entirely. Kind of wild to think each of these games could end up being on successive generations of PlayStation consoles.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm repeating myself but jesus gently caress who decided these last combat sims should be ten rounds long? They aren't any more difficult for it so all they're accomplishing is making the player feel like absolute poo poo at the exact moment you most need them to feel motivated.

It has generally been my opinion that this game's Hard Mode Content overplays its hand considerably. There is an extent to which you can stretch the demands this system places on you while still leaving it broadly enjoyable. Remake, I thought, stayed broadly within these bounds, and I thought did a good job at exploring the limits of its systems, with the only content that I thought was really too much being Weiss in the DLC, it was an encounter that just felt like they were out of ideas for how to make the game harder without just making it punishing, although I did also think that having Pride and Joy behind 4 other rounds was also a bit much. Rebirth goes far outside them, mostly by way of simply being a gruelling slog that consumes your time and delights in making you repeat yourself. They really saved the worst for last.

e: I should clarify that I thought the vast majority of Hard Mode Story was fine, honestly, outside of specifically the final boss gauntlet, specifically Red Dragon, and, from recollection, specifically Midgardsomr, although perhaps I'd change my mind on a replay.

I know it's kinda a cliche to invoke Dark Souls et al but like. I often think about how fully 30% of (Playstation) players who have booted up Elden Ring have defeated Malenia. Hell, 6.5% of FFVII Remake players have defeated Pride and Joy. It won't be a direct comparison because of how long the Combat Sim will take to clear out but I wonder what the percentage for that Trophy will be in a couple years... and how many of those people will also finish the hotel?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 23, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean there's a lot that plays into that, including the difficulty of unlocking and also the fact that you can literally recruit someone to beat the hard boss for you in ER.

That said I think the hotel will be minimally finished because everyone has something that is a barrier. The piano alone will break people.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 23, 2024

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

ImpAtom posted:

Like unironically, just off the top of my head:

1) You start with Prayer, which is a very useful heal. You don't even need to keep it on Aerith. Toss it on Barret and he can be healing constantly for no cost
2) Use healing items, of which you probably have a plentiful stock of. MIst stuff should be saved for battle healing but there's little real reason to bother with it outside of that.
3) Fast travel back to town and sleep at an inn. If you have a chocobo bench you can fast travel right back. Cushions are mostly for Hard Mode.
4) Aerith's limit break fills very quickly so if you're using her in battle you probably have Healing Wind active pretty regularly
5) You don't need to be at max HP at all times and it isn't worth topping off your HP between every fight.
6) Barret's Lifelink skill means you can focus healing on him instead of other characters reducing the amount of items/healing you need
7) Always Be Blocking
8) Several characters have abilities that give them healing or regen on certain actions.
9) Chakra isn't as good as Prayer but (especially once it gets a few levels) is extremely reliable self-healing on any character who builds AP quickly. Tifa starts with this.
10) Most characters have one or more options to severely reduce the damage they take. Red XIII can absorb attacks with Sentinel Stance, Yuffie can nosell with Brumal Form, Cloud can ruin a melee attacher's day with Punisher, Tifa has powerful dodges with synergy skills, Barret can tank and Iron Wall like nobody's business, and Cait Sith has a giant enemy-attracting Moogle that absorbs enemy attacks and can be replenished regularly.

That is because you have more options than in old school Final Fantasy games, in addition to potions and ethers. Cure is not something you need to be using in every situation, especially early on where enemies are not dangerous enough to need it and you don't have a Magnify materia yet.

Edit: Like, to be clear here, I barely used Cure before I got Magnify and only used it afterwards in an emergency and never really between battles. It's a spell you use for Big Hits, not topping off.

I should probably start blocking but I just don’t get it. I’ll block and still get hit hard. And with a million spell effects and such going off all at once I don’t know how you’re supposed to get timing down. I just gave up on it honestly.

Blocking and dodging shouldn’t even be in a final fantasy game. Leave that poo poo for elden ring.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
captain, I’ve never detected this many skill issues on a single post

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For sure it's not a clean comparison, it's just illustrative of a difference in determination and motivation. Even reaching Malenia is an ask for people who aren't coming in on challenge runs, and summons are only so much help - sure you might run into someone on Let Me Solo Her's level, but you probably won't. The fact that the completion rate is high shows that people are sticking at it, and not being demoralised. Elden Ring is a game where the first big filter boss stops just short of literally demanding you stop playing. 62% beat that guy because a specific and ethereal thing those games are really, really good at is beating you the gently caress down without demoralising you.

The people who even open the brutal/legendary sims are the people already looking for the Platinum. To get those people to give up takes making them feel like absolute garbage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

I should probably start blocking but I just don’t get it. I’ll block and still get hit hard. And with a million spell effects and such going off all at once I don’t know how you’re supposed to get timing down. I just gave up on it honestly.

Blocking and dodging shouldn’t even be in a final fantasy game. Leave that poo poo for elden ring.

To be honest blocking in FF7R works the way blocking did in FF7 except with more control.

You're going to take damage. The Defend command makes you take less damage. In the old ATB system you would defend if you knew a big attack was coming/you were low on health/etc and trade a turn for reduced damage.FF7R just makes that something you want to do regularly. Block attacks if you see them coming. You'll take reduced damage. It's just a more real-time version of the same abstraction that is in most FF games.

FF7R is an 'action' game, but it's genuinely more of a hybrid. It looks like an action game but it basically is just the real time combat system of FF7 modified into something you have a bit more direct control over it. It's not Elden Ring style, you're expected to take damage and adjust your stats and skills and swap to different characters.

If it helps maybe try Classic Mode? It's designed for people who feel uncomfortable with more overt action stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fedule posted:

I know it's kinda a cliche to invoke Dark Souls et al but like. I often think about how fully 30% of (Playstation) players who have booted up Elden Ring have defeated Malenia. Hell, 6.5% of FFVII Remake players have defeated Pride and Joy. It won't be a direct comparison because of how long the Combat Sim will take to clear out but I wonder what the percentage for that Trophy will be in a couple years... and how many of those people will also finish the hotel?

It will definitely be way less than Remake just because of all the minigame poo poo you gotta do for the platinum, some of which is legit harder than even the extreme VR challenges