Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I was worried X-Men 97 was just nostalgia bait but after reading reviews I'm excited to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

KPC_Mammon posted:

I was worried X-Men 97 was just nostalgia bait but after reading reviews I'm excited to watch it.

It's very good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah they nailed it

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Cabbit posted:

Him and Gambit, yes.

Yeah but Gambit has always been hot as gently caress

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It not you. It Gambit.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I didn't realize this as a kid but Mystique framing Gambit for murder in the original animated series was just her way of trying to keep him from banging her daughter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gavok posted:

Yeah, the first Magneto episode ended with Xavier blasting Holocaust PTSD into Magneto's head despite the helmet, so that never really happened on the show.

The first instance of the helmet blocking it I remember was from a What If comic from the early 90s where Xavier became Juggernaut instead of Cain Marko. Being buried in rubble for years while he could feel how badly things were going for mutants drove him insane and when he finally escaped, he easily conquered the world due to being an invincible psychic. Magneto, who was more mad that Xavier stole his thunder than anything else, built the anti-psychic headwear technology and gave it to the X-Men so they could plan a way to stop him.

I remember that issue! It was the first time i realized that Juggs was Xaviers brother. I probably had read that when I was a kid in the 80s but it just slipped my mind or I didn't register.

Does anyone else hate that in a lot of media, Juggernaut is a mutant, and not the Avatar of Cyttorak? The early x men cartoon straight up has "I'm not a mutant, my powers are magical!" But then both X-men and Deadpool movies have him as just another mutant?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Defiance Industries posted:

Sometimes they would also just say that he had done a thing that had the word magnet in it. His mind is magnetically shielded. His followers can't turn away from him because he has a magnetic personality.
There was also an issue in the original Claremont run IIRC where a text box throwaway line mentioned Magneto had used his powers to alter the Earth's magnetic field to make it more difficult for Xavier to use telepathy over a distance.

The very early X-Men comics even treated telepathy a lot like a electromagnetic phenomenon. Xavier's powers could be blocked by the same things that blocked radio signals, he could sense electronics and even had a plane he could remote-control with his telepathy, Magneto could use his magnetic powers to astrally project, etc.

Fuckin' magnets, man.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

twistedmentat posted:

I remember that issue! It was the first time i realized that Juggs was Xaviers brother. I probably had read that when I was a kid in the 80s but it just slipped my mind or I didn't register.

Does anyone else hate that in a lot of media, Juggernaut is a mutant, and not the Avatar of Cyttorak? The early x men cartoon straight up has "I'm not a mutant, my powers are magical!" But then both X-men and Deadpool movies have him as just another mutant?
He’s basically rhino in red armor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Defiance Industries posted:

I didn't realize this as a kid but Mystique framing Gambit for murder in the original animated series was just her way of trying to keep him from banging her daughter.

Now I haven't watched for a couple of decades, but wasn't that a non-existent problem since they literally couldn't bang in the first place?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Golden Bee posted:

He’s basically rhino in red armor.

Yea but the Rhino doesn't have his Sunday Punch. And I do not remember any classic lines from the Rhino.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was expecting to have it on as background noise with maybe a little nostalgia kick here and there, but hot drat this show fucks.

Caros posted:

I love it because there is a part of me that thinks 'No, that is dumb. He'd have to be supporting all those sudden movements with his drat neck muscles, which would cripple him almost instantly'

The another part of me shoves that first part in a locker and cheers hwo much it rules that he shoots punch lasers as a way land from a fall.
The second part of you is the one that would be shoved in a locker by the first part.

It's the rad part. Not the jock rear end in a top hat in an 80s movie part that doensn't get what comic books are for.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jerusalem posted:

Now I haven't watched for a couple of decades, but wasn't that a non-existent problem since they literally couldn't bang in the first place?

Gambit willing to roll de dice on that one, mon amis.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gambit just needs to get really, really into latex

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gambit in a croptop was the best part of these eps tbh

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Gambit just needs to get really, really into latex

The only option. They definitely haven’t introduced a tech that seems to painlessly and reversibly disable mutant powers via a wearable device.

I wonder if Nightcrawler’s coming back to give Wolverine another hard-sell episode-long sermon about his Catholicism.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tom Tucker posted:

drat liberal snowflakes getting their LGBTQ+ agenda in my totally non-woke (checks notes) gay rights allegory

Same as the conservatives getting worked up over women and minorities in Star Trek.

Or the ones who think Homelander is a hero.

Right wingers are really loving stupid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Funniest single shot I've seen this year.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
God that moment was gold.

"He's coming!"

"Who?" *snikt* "Apocalypse?"

"No, the baby."

"...Oh"

:lol:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno. That's just kind of funny, and a fairly logical extension of the brief loss of control many people experience during climax.

Pryde's partner is lucky she didn't have ice powers instead.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tagichatn posted:

Pryde's partner is lucky she didn't have ice powers instead.

Bobby’s boyfriend is in for a shock.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

In “Spiderman and his Amazing Friends” or whatever it was called, there was an episode where ex-X-man Firestar goes to a reunion at the mansion which Juggernaut crashes. That iteration was strangely faithful, sticking to the mystical backstory as Xavier’s brother. Also Wolverine was Australian, which lol how prophetic considering Jackman.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gin_Rummy posted:

In “Spiderman and his Amazing Friends” or whatever it was called, there was an episode where ex-X-man Firestar goes to a reunion at the mansion which Juggernaut crashes. That iteration was strangely faithful, sticking to the mystical backstory as Xavier’s brother. Also Wolverine was Australian, which lol how prophetic considering Jackman.

Ahhh the Wolverine: Apex predator of the Outback. Growing up in Alberta we had to watch for the rampage of the Kiwi. Not really well known but the Kiwi eats at least a thousand kilo of Grizzly Bears and Moose daily. Only thing scarier is the Platypus. Saw a duckbill pull an entire Tim Horton’s into a river once. All of Beaver Creek was wet with tears as we heard its cries disappear into the depths.

Man X-Men 97 hit my nostalgia button HARD. Also laughed at X-Cutioner appeared as I realised 8 year old Dog In Space would have shouted “finally!” I thought that character looked so cool as a kid.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh I just found out that cartoon is from the early 80s, and not the late 60s/early 70s like I thought.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah but Gambit has always been hot as gently caress

On Reddit I tried to see what kind of X-Men game people wanted and the top choice was Meet n' gently caress but with Gambit and Nightcrawler.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Bobby’s boyfriend is in for a shock.

Depends on the act, sometimes ice can be fun.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lammasu posted:

On Reddit I tried to see what kind of X-Men game people wanted and the top choice was Meet n' gently caress but with Gambit and Nightcrawler.

X-Men dating sim is the video game we've all needed

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Rarity posted:

X-Men dating sim is the video game we've all needed

They got so close in Midnight Suns but didn't go all the way. A shame.

I've seen some posts on various social media that Bucky won't be in the next Cap movie, which seems insane after Falcon & Winter Soldier.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

EC posted:

They got so close in Midnight Suns but didn't go all the way. A shame.

I've seen some posts on various social media that Bucky won't be in the next Cap movie, which seems insane after Falcon & Winter Soldier.

Yeah, Mackie seems kinda down because Sam's boyfriend buddy isn't showing up.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
In the comics have they ever done a wolverine in the outback in 19xx, because if they haven't they should imo. go all in on it, fighting kangeroos etc.. like his training in japan but cooler. could probably get a new villian out of it

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I get that Rogue is down bad for Magneto cause he can use his powers to protect himself from her powers... But a much better option is RIGHT THERE:

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

DrBouvenstein posted:

I get that Rogue is down bad for Magneto cause he can use his powers to protect himself from her powers... But a much better option is RIGHT THERE:

child Xploitation

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I doubt young Leech really wants to sit awkwardly on the other end of the sofa while Rogue and Gambit make out though.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sentinel Red posted:

I doubt young Leech really wants to sit awkwardly on the other end of the sofa while Rogue and Gambit make out though.

That is a God damned lie.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sentinel Red posted:

It'll probably still work if you just give him the next room over. Soundproof the poo poo out of it.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Thread very randy for x-men.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Zoobtro posted:

child Xploitation

Is Leech a kid? I thought he was just short.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BRJurgis posted:

Thread very randy for x-men.
I mean, did you see that crop top?

The one that made all the clueless chuds performatively not remember the 90s so they could rage about Gambit being too gay now?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DrBouvenstein posted:

Leech is usually a kid, yes. I don't know if the show itself ever said his age, and it's entirely possible he's just short, but the general idea in most media he's shown up in has always been implied that he's a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Leech (and his friend Artie, another mutant kid who communicates though literal speech bubbles) are kids around Franklin Richard's age in the comics.