Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

The Diddler posted:

I looked over this a few times trying to figure out how OP was basically mind controlled into never seeing those kids or whatever and realized that child support ends at 18, right?

I love that so much for OP

Look, like OP said, communication is a two way street. It was as much their fault as it was the fault of a literal child (until very recently).

All you neglected and abandoned children out there, how much have you yourself done to reconnect with your parents, hmmmmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for telling my stepson he is an unchristian spoiled brat?

The resentment, the jealousy, the sheer hate from OP is palpable

Okay i went back and checked on this post again, because op kept responding to comments and defending herself. She was regretful, the courts are biased against the father, or she was only pointing out the ex-wife's family of being hypocritical christians, blah blah blah.

But now she's taking a new tactic and claiming to be the ex-wife, pretending to be the stepmother as a means of validation.

quote:

Edit to answer a lot of comments-

Thank you for your reaction. I feel validated. And will be sending this to my ex husband and his awful wife. I am actually the mom in this situation. My son told me what his step mother did yesterday and all her “validating”responses she gave to him. Some of my comments back to you were things I have heard her say in the past, things she has texted me, things I’ve seen on her Facebook, and things I believe she would have responded. Literally nearly every comment I made was some form of an excuse she has used before about something or another.

I sat up all night writing this out fuming about the way she treated my son. What is the most insane about this is that he didn’t actually get adopted. He did change his last name because my husband’s family name was going to die with my husband so he thought it would be a nice surprise and because my husband has offered him his landscaping business and my son wanted to keep it in his stepdads name.

I would like to add that she is a narcissistic person who takes things way out of context and blows them up into some out of control proportion. Most of the things she said about my ex husband are untrue. He has not been an absent father, though because their kids have special needs, he does miss many events and they aren’t super well off, he still always makes an effort to reach out to our son. And while my daughter did call him a spoiled brat because he did stop going over to their house for the summer of his 16th birthday, he realized she was right and started going back over. (He was a 16 year old boy. Sharing one bathroom with 6 people for a week is a lot and he couldn’t have friends over because there wasn’t room.)However, stepmom makes sure to put extra emphasis on the one month he did that.

I don’t think my ex even knows she called him. But thanks to you wonderful people, he will now.

I call bullshit and she's pretending to be the other side because people were making GBS threads on her. That, and her previous posts listed her age of being 35 instead of 40, which is age of the ex-wife.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Dear Abby messes up again posted:

DEAR ABBY: My son and his fiancée are getting married next month. They’re calling it an elopement, but although they have been telling everyone when and where the wedding is, they are not formally inviting anyone. I have come to terms with that. I realize the day is about them, not me. However, this is my only child, and I have always dreamed about being part of this milestone in his life.

I’m sure this is his fiancée’s choice and he is just going along with what she wants, but it is hurting me terribly to not be there. They have also decided a reception in their honor will be held six months afterward. Who does this? Is this proper etiquette? -- BROKEN-HEARTED MOTHER

DEAR MOTHER: The rigid rules of etiquette have loosened considerably in recent years. Many younger people prefer the casual over the formal. Please don’t lay the sole blame on your soon-to-be daughter-in-law without first discussing this with your son, because you may be shocked to learn this nontraditional wedding is happening with his enthusiastic blessing. If that’s the case, quietly let go of your “dream.”

As to not being with your son on this special day, if you haven’t received a formal invitation, SHOW UP WITH A SMILE ANYWAY and offer your services as a witness. Those who attend the wedding should be invited to the reception, and if they attend the reception, they should come with a gift in hand.

I know this is like six pages back, but this one has been bothering me. Abbey tells the mother to show up anyway, even though the couple is eloping and not asking for anyone to be involved.

Am I reading this wrong? It sounds like the mom isn't invited at all, and for obvious reasons.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for my reaction after finding out my ex cheated on me?

Real Pete energy here. I originally miss-read it that it was 2 days after finding the ex was cheating but it was more like 12 days. Either way live your best life stranger.

Already getting a date within 2 weeks is still a bit weird, after a 6 year relationship. Like did you jump on tinder the day after you caught her?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Hyuk hyuk! It's sexy time! Look into the dolls eyes while you gently caress me!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Scathach posted:

I know this is like six pages back, but this one has been bothering me. Abbey tells the mother to show up anyway, even though the couple is eloping and not asking for anyone to be involved.

Am I reading this wrong? It sounds like the mom isn't invited at all, and for obvious reasons.

No it's hosed up and wrong and I was going to question it and forgot about it. Assumed someone else would notice eventually.

Show up with a smile and and a clear indication you can't respect boundaries.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Scathach posted:

Depends very much on the tone of the conversation, I suppose. They've been telling everyone the exact time and the place, but didn't "formally" invite anyone, which could be read as they were just playing coy, like they wanted friends and family to show up and "surprise them". If they really didn't want anyone there they would've kept quiet. The mother in this case is stuck up on the fact that she didn't get a formal invitation and/or it wasn't a traditional wedding. In that case the advice "oh get over yourself, and just go there" is not unreasonable.

But yeah, it's impossible to tell just from the letter.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

PancakeTransmission posted:

Already getting a date within 2 weeks is still a bit weird, after a 6 year relationship. Like did you jump on tinder the day after you caught her?

Why wouldn't you?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Elviscat posted:

Why wouldn't you?
Yeah.

It seems possible that someone in OP's extended friend group or workplace (who already had a bit of a crush on or interest in him) found out about OP dumping his GF for cheating, and decided to shoot her shot.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Elviscat posted:

Why wouldn't you?

I did after my long term girlfriend after college cheated on me. I think the relationship was around 4 to 5 years. Wasn't any point in trying to salvage it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shanghaied posted:

They've been telling everyone the exact time and the place, but didn't "formally" invite anyone

If they really didn't want anyone there they would've kept quiet. The mother in this case is stuck up on the fact that she didn't get a formal invitation and/or it wasn't a traditional wedding. In that case the advice "oh get over yourself, and just go there" is not unreasonable.

That’s how I read it — the offense taking was all decorum poisoning over it not being a full on wedding with rsvp and pride of place for the parents.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Hyuk hyuk! It's sexy time! Look into the dolls eyes while you gently caress me!

*as I stumble backwards, trip on my glasses and fall comedically out a window*

YA-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOOooooeeey!

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I feel like he's also projecting a lot of his hurt and emotions from an acrimonious divorce on his daughter.

Public schools can provide a fine level of education without the rich-person bullshit of private institutions, though.

I agree with both. I think the Dad's major beef with both the ex and the daughter is that they see someone else's success as their own. So he's working his rear end off to give her nice things and she's walking around mocking others for not having those nice things as if she accomplished it herself. By taking her out of the private school where she was getting all kinds of steps up over the kids who don't have those opportunities, she's now on a level playing field with those nonprivileged kids, and she's going to have to work her rear end off just like they do to try to compete with kids like the former her who get everything handed to them. She gets to see what she can accomplish instead of claiming someone else's accomplishments for her own and acting like she did something to deserve it.

Instead, she's got to rely on her own character, and so far she's shown her character is poo poo. If she can pull out of it and get good grades and show some empathy instead of throwing a poo poo fit, I'd consider eventually moving her to another private school, but I wouldn't put her back at the same one with the same lovely friends. And if she's coming from a public school the kids at her new private one might treat her lovely, too, so she gets the bonus of being on the other end of her entitled behavior.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

kimbo305 posted:

That’s how I read it — the offense taking was all decorum poisoning over it not being a full on wedding with rsvp and pride of place for the parents.

That's just stupid as hell. God this woman sucks. Her poor kids.

We almost eloped to Vegas because the little person Elvis was priced at half-off so we could afford him. No joke. Our family is lucky we didn't disappear for a week to hang with a bunch of different Elvises instead of inviting them to our yard for a BBQ.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Troublemaker posted:

I agree with both. I think the Dad's major beef with both the ex and the daughter is that they see someone else's success as their own. So he's working his rear end off to give her nice things and she's walking around mocking others for not having those nice things as if she accomplished it herself. By taking her out of the private school where she was getting all kinds of steps up over the kids who don't have those opportunities, she's now on a level playing field with those nonprivileged kids, and she's going to have to work her rear end off just like they do to try to compete with kids like the former her who get everything handed to them. She gets to see what she can accomplish instead of claiming someone else's accomplishments for her own and acting like she did something to deserve it.

Instead, she's got to rely on her own character, and so far she's shown her character is poo poo. If she can pull out of it and get good grades and show some empathy instead of throwing a poo poo fit, I'd consider eventually moving her to another private school, but I wouldn't put her back at the same one with the same lovely friends. And if she's coming from a public school the kids at her new private one might treat her lovely, too, so she gets the bonus of being on the other end of her entitled behavior.

How long do you think high school lasts that you'd 'eventually move her' again? How many schools in 4 years do you expect her to go to?

What she did is lovely yes. But she's already:
Grounded
Forbidden from seeing her friends
Lost tens of thousands of dollars in an asset
and now you and he wants to add:
Complete removal of social net, move into a new school in the middle of the school year
and refusal to consider how despite all of the punishment already done it's going to have an echoing punishment for the next 6-8 years of her life if not longer.

Remember she's driving and have a job, that puts her at least at 16 and a Junior right? She's going to be applying to schools and accepted or not in the next 12 months.

Everyone is telling the father that he's overreacting and his literal words is he doesn't care. He just wants to hurt his daughter at this point.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

Okay i went back and checked on this post again, because op kept responding to comments and defending herself. She was regretful, the courts are biased against the father, or she was only pointing out the ex-wife's family of being hypocritical christians, blah blah blah.

But now she's taking a new tactic and claiming to be the ex-wife, pretending to be the stepmother as a means of validation.

I call bullshit and she's pretending to be the other side because people were making GBS threads on her. That, and her previous posts listed her age of being 35 instead of 40, which is age of the ex-wife.
I agree because the part where she says "Most of the things she said about my ex husband are untrue" doesn't really make any sense if she's really the ex wife.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
The Spirit of Pete is strong in this one…
Go to TwoHotTakes
r/TwoHotTakes
2 hr. ago
This_Owl_5544
Join

My boyfriend suggested a polyamorous relationship so I left him

I 24F was dating my 27M ex boyfriend for 2 years. Last year we started talking about getting married. If we wanted to stay in the state. Regular future stuff. The past few months I've tried to bring up engagement, rings, time frames and he doesn't seem interested at all. He shuts me down and says we have enough time. He was once so excited about it.

Which brings me to 2 weeks ago, he sat me down and out of the blue asked about a polyamory and that he thinks it'll be good for US so WE can build OUR bond closer. I'm like "How does bringing someone else in a relationship... for you... work on us" and he goes "She wouldn't interfere with us, Jess knows I love you and want to get married to you, she will bow out at any moment" "Jess" is a girl he's known since they were in middle school. She recently started working at his company and I guess their "friendship" has rekindled. I got up and went to pack a bag.

He asked me what I was doing and I told him I was done. He started panicking and saying it was a Joke, She was interested in one but he wasn't. I didn't want to hear anymore. He asked why was I freaking out and I told him "I know how this goes, you randomly bringing up polyamory, you've already cheated or you're going to cheat if I say no, so I'm done" I left to go back to my place. (I am working on my masters so I decided to keep my apartment to study even after we moved in and I was going to move in permanently 2 months before I graduated because my lease would be over)

He was blowing up my phone and telling me he's sorry, then he'd flip to calling me all types of nasty names, to "I should have had sex with her when I had the chance" I blocked him. He showed up at my place two days later begging me to come back. I asked him to let me search his phone and his face went pale. He let me check and he was good at deleting things but not deleting what he deleted. They were flirting, he brought it up after she got feelings for him and he "felt bad" so he told her I'd be okay with an open relationship (surprise surprise) I told him to get out and I'm done.

Our mutual friends (I should say only 3 people three were MY friends and the other 4 and him I met through my best friends brother. No one was on my side except my best friend, her girlfriend, and my best friends brother) are telling me I’m overreacting and it was Just a suggestion and a suggestion doesn’t mean he’s cheated or is going to cheat and a lot of people open up their relationship. I told them “when we got together it was clear I was looking for a monogamous relationship and partner and he feels like I’m not enough and I won’t wait to find out in 5 years that he’s been cheating and I have to go through divorce.” I told them if any of them bring him up to me after this, I’ll cut contact with them too.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Ah opening a relationship, an r/r classic.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I got up and went to pack a bag.

Wasting precious seconds she could've saved if only she had a go bag packed and ready for action

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Yea, like if it means this much to them have they just asked if they could be there? Just accept it's non-traditional and ask.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Scathach posted:

That's just stupid as hell. God this woman sucks. Her poor kids.

We almost eloped to Vegas because the little person Elvis was priced at half-off so we could afford him. No joke. Our family is lucky we didn't disappear for a week to hang with a bunch of different Elvises instead of inviting them to our yard for a BBQ.

I don't know you, but I am now disproportionately angry at you for NOT having an Elvis BBQ wedding. And not inviting me.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My (26f) friend (26f) has accused me of stealing her boyfriend. Boyfriend (25m) had no idea they were dating

quote:

Names changed to respect privacy and throwaway account.

Honestly no idea where to start with this and sorry if it's long.

I (26f) have been friends with "Carly" (also 26f) since middle school. We lost touch after I moved out of state for law school but our parents are still friends. I moved back to our home state last year when I graduated and met "Matt" (25m). We bonded instantly as we're both studying to be lawyers. Matt should graduate this year if all goes well. Because of studying and work, we've taken things really slowly and only just recently became official.

As we'd gone official, I decided to invite him to my sister's 21st birthday party. It was a huge party at my parent's house back in my home town. Both Matt and I work and live (separately) about an hour away. Wed been at the party for about an hour when Carly arrived with her parents. I was excited to see her as I'd been meaning to get back in touch since I'd moved back. The timing had never been right.

Well, Carly spotted us and hurried on over. I was surprised when she gave Matt a huge hug and asked him what he was doing at the party. Turns out they work in the same building and Matt is friends with a few of Carly's friends. They've been out on group nights together a few times. I did the whole "Oh, Carly this is my boyfriend Matt" thing and her face instantly fell. She looked furious with me and ignored me for the rest of the party.

I sent her a message the next morning asking if I had done anything wrong. Carly blew up at me and accused me of stealing her boyfriend and I soon got several rude messages from mutual friends sat Ng something similar.

I met up with Matt and asked him what the hell was going on. I had assumed that once we'd made it official, we were exclusive. Matt had no idea what I was talking about. I relayed Carly's message and he was even more confused. He said that he got on with Carly when they saw each other but it had never been anything more than a friendship. He didn't think anything of them spending time together outside of work with friends so that's why I didn't know he and Carly worked in the same building.

It's been a week since the party and I'm still getting messages from people 's how I could do that to Carly. I've tried saying over again that Matt and Carly weren't dating but it's falling on deaf ears. Even my parents have heard about from Carly's parents.

I have zero idea the hell to do. Where do I go from here? I trust Matt completely but what do I do about Carly?

Edit: People have asked about the friends who have sent me messages. These are all mutual friends of myself and Carly who we've known since high school. None of them, as far as I know, have ever met Matt. None of his work friends who also know Carly have sent me messages.

Also I have spoken to Carly and we are meeting up tomorrow to talk.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for offering to wrap up left over steak that my wife's bosses wife couldn't finish?

quote:

My wife invited her boss and his wife over for dinner. She's a lawyer and works at a law firm. I was in a good mood so I decided to slice some nice prime rib into 2 inch thick steaks, one for each of us and reverse seared them and then basted in butter with garlic and rosemary. They came over and we all had a good time, but my wife and her bosses wife could only really finish half of their steaks since they were thicc bois. I offered to wrap up the remaining steak that our guest couldn't finish and said she could take it home and slice it for tacos or stir fry or something since it was good quality beef. They seemed cool with it. However, after they left and I handed them the leftover steak, my wife got kind of angry with me and told me that by offering to wrap up leftovers for our guests, I was insinuating that they were cheap and/or poor and couldn't buy steak themselves any time they wanted to and it was insulting. This never crossed my mind whatsoever. I just didn't want to waste good meat. I grew up in a working class home and my wife grew up in more of an upper-middle class environment so I guess there are some upper crust social customs that I'm really not aware of? Anyways, what do you guys think?

AITA for telling my boyfriend that artists can't save her life and she's only wasting his money?

quote:

I (26M)have been with my boyfriend (23M)for 4 years now. He is a HUGE fan of Rihanna,Nicki Minaj and Beyonce even claims they saved his life when he was younger and struggling to accept himself due to his family.He struggled with thoughts of offing himself when he was a teenager due to the stress of coming out and his religious family. He never misses a chance to say that had he not discovered these 3 artists he wouldn't be here with us now.

Back-Track to 2022 when it was announced that Rihanna was performing at the superbowl he made plans to buy me and him tickets to go see her.I am not a fan of hers but I do like her music and know some of her hit songs so it wasn't a problem. Money isn't an issue for either of us as we both have really good jobs that pay well. When he bought the tickets I asked why he would waste money on the tickets when we could watch the superbowl at home(He's not even a football fan).He argued that it's his money and he can spend it however he wants,I argued back that he doesn't even like football so why go?He responded that he's seeing the woman he loves perform live and if it means sitting through something he thinks is boring to see her it's all worth it in the end.I digressed and said ok.

In early March he bought Beyonce Renaissance tickets which put together with hotels(It was out of state)food,travel among others he spent 4000 thousand dollars.I again stated my concerns about spending more wisely as i'm frugal and it never hurts me.He again responded with the same "It's my money I spend it how I want" thing.I didn't feel like arguing this time and just said ok.

Now as most people know Nicki Minaj is currently on her tour, and he bought tickets to go see her.He bought the meet and greet package which was like 1k plus the actual tickets (His words not mine).I again blew up on him, and told him his spending habits were insane.Spending thousands of dollars on these people who don't care about him and would not spit on him if he was on fire.He responded and said that "these people took me out of a bad place when I was young. I will spend on them however I please and you can't stop me".I told him that these people did not save his life he's just being dramatic and taking things out of proportion. I also told him maybe he was fake being depressed so that's why it was so easy for these women's music to take him out of a bad time during his life. He just stared at me for 3 minutes not blinking, jaw open. After the 3 minutes he silently walked out our apartment with just his bag,his car keys and his wallet. It's been a week since then and he's not answering my calls. His friend called and told me that i'm an A-hole for saying those things and that i'm an idiot if I think that way.

So AITA?

I almost already want to call this one out as fanfiction since aside from the terrible grammar/mistakes, how are you 23 and 'money isn't an issue for you' already to spend so many thousands of dollars on this.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for offering to wrap up left over steak that my wife's bosses wife couldn't finish?

AITA for telling my boyfriend that artists can't save her life and she's only wasting his money?

I almost already want to call this one out as fanfiction since aside from the terrible grammar/mistakes, how are you 23 and 'money isn't an issue for you' already to spend so many thousands of dollars on this.

FAANG computer toucher who thinks the signing bonus is a sign of riches?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Was it Dear Abbey or Ann Landers who used to give out lovely advice, and then backtrack a couple weeks later when people sent in angry responses and talk about self flagellation with a wet noodle?

Like when I was young I never missed those columns and I swear it used to happen all the time. It was mind-blowing how many precious column inches they would devote to saying "wow I really hosed that one up, 30 lashes with a wet noodle for me!"

Why a wet noodle?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

artsy fartsy posted:

Was it Dear Abbey or Ann Landers who used to give out lovely advice, and then backtrack a couple weeks later when people sent in angry responses and talk about self flagellation with a wet noodle?

Like when I was young I never missed those columns and I swear it used to happen all the time. It was mind-blowing how many precious column inches they would devote to saying "wow I really hosed that one up, 30 lashes with a wet noodle for me!"

Why a wet noodle?

A dry noodle wouldn't work

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Pretty sure you can get 2 Beyonce tickets for less than 4 million dollars??

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mx. posted:

My (26f) friend (26f) has accused me of stealing her boyfriend. Boyfriend (25m) had no idea they were dating
I guess the boyfriend could be cheating but the fact that Carly has apparently made no attempt to confront the boyfriend and is only angry at the OP makes me inclined to think that Carly is just crazy and has decided that he's her future boyfriend

If they were legitimately going out I feel like she would probably be more angry at the boyfriend for cheating on her

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

artsy fartsy posted:

Why a wet noodle?

ann landers is a boring old biddy

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Everyone is telling the father that he's overreacting and his literal words is he doesn't care. He just wants to hurt his daughter at this point.

Well, :shrug:

It's hard for me to have a firm opinion about this one because he doesn't really go into details on the extent of the bullying. Is she just a dumb kid that doesn't know any better who needs a wakeup call, or do we need to bring out the Oompa Loompas for a cautionary song after a horrific yet cartoonish industrial accident? I think sitting her down for a long hard talk is definitely a good starting point, but I don't think that pulling her out of school needs to be off the table.

mystes
May 31, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

It's hard for me to have a firm opinion about this one because he doesn't really go into details on the extent of the bullying. Is she just a dumb kid that doesn't know any better who needs a wakeup call, or do we need to bring out the Oompa Loompas for a cautionary song after a horrific yet cartoonish industrial accident? I think sitting her down for a long hard talk is definitely a good starting point, but I don't think that pulling her out of school needs to be off the table.
Saying "stop bullying or I'll pull you out of the school" would be completely fair. Just suddenly pulling her out of the school and saying "serves you right; now you're stuck with the poor kids" doesn't seem like particularly good parenting

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tomfoolery posted:

Pretty sure you can get 2 Beyonce tickets for less than 4 million dollars??

:buddy: I was just going to snark about the price

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah given that there are a plethora of examples of bullied kids doing a bunch of self-harm because of it, let alone bullies doing like, direct physical harm to their victims idk that “but what if it was just a little nice bullying” is my first response to the original post

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

Why a wet noodle?

It's an old idiom, basically back when giving someone lashes (striking them with a whip or rope) was a punishment you could imagine that rather than a whip you were stroke with a wet noodle instead it wouldn't hurt. It's become a cutsey "oops my bad" or "Did I do that?" to mean you're not really sorry. hth if not wet noodle for me!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
/me slaps u around with a large trout

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

/me slaps u around with a large trout

I too come from MUDs

AITAH for not quitting my job after my boyfriend asked me to

quote:

I (f20) work as a financial dominatrix and I’ve been doing it for about a year now. My boyfriend (m24) and I live together and while he was studying I was paying for most of the bills and expenses. He recently got himself a pretty well paying job and he’d dropped a few hints about me stopping my work which I just figured weren’t really serious.

But last week he had a sit down with me and he told me that since he’s making money now I shouldn’t be working and he was happy to provide but I wasn’t too comfortable with that so I told him that it would still be safe to have two incomes and also that what he makes would be significantly less than what I make so it would have a pretty big impact on our life.

He didn’t take that well and said that I was being unreasonable but i think it just makes sense to have two incomes. He said I should be helping out around the house but I’m the one that does most of the cleaning and cooking so I told him that I didn’t know what else he wanted from me.

But he’s been icy towards me ever since and my friends think I was pretty antagonist to him, saying I make more money than him but it felt like I was talking to him about something he’d already made his mind up about. So AITAH?

Cue the Castle animated gif...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The age also raises an eyebrow or two.

mystes
May 31, 2006

he just wants to be the one doing the findom now that he has a well paying job

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I am a 50-year-old man, a manager in a field where the majority of staff are women.

Once I catch myself, I become flustered and quickly correct myself to the person I’m speaking with, but I can tell from their reaction and body language that they either feel my lengthy correction is awkward or disingenuous.

How should I handle these situations in the future? Should I try to apologize for my mistake in referring to staff as “girls,” and if so, what would be the best way to do this?

I am working very, very hard to break this horrible habit and do better.

GENTLE READER: Work harder. You learned not to put your hand on a hot stove at a young age and still rose to the level of a manager — this cannot be so very difficult.

If you agree to do that, Miss Manners will tell you how to repair the damage done, which is to apologize with enough sincerity and frequency that you understand your female co-workers’ feelings of humiliation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Is there a paragraph missing or something?