Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

explosivo posted:

Does it? It always felt pretty instantaneous to me.

You gotta reach back there to get your cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Internet Explorer posted:

But they are so good for closing bug holes and destroying bot factories. They aren't the best at any one thing, but they are good for pretty much anything.

And that's also the advantage of why I run my kit the way I do - it's meant to free up the other players to run the 500kg or Cluster or a turret or EMS strike.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Does anyone have laser pistol and can confirm wet noodle?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I got the option to call in a hellbomb when I was near the mutalisk spire. is that always an option or only on certain maps I wonder?

been managing fine without the arc thrower, thanks to EAT supremacy. I just use sickle/defender and carry an EAT on my back, then when I fire it I drop in a new one and take one with me. that gives you two flex slots, so I take eagle air strike in one slot and random eagle/drone/shield in the other. it's so liberating not having to go hike back for your weapon when you respwan

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

area is determined the moment the beam goes up
Nice, that's good to know. I thought it was at the moment of throwing, but if it's on landing that's enough time to angle it slightly off perpendicular from when you throw it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Icedude posted:

I went with the Brotherhood of NOD fit for a while:

Peace Through Power

I bought the helm, but what is the chest?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

BadLlama posted:

It's no wet noodle. Someone can feel a wet noodle hit them. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hey mom its 420 posted:

I got the option to call in a hellbomb when I was near the mutalisk spire. is that always an option or only on certain maps I wonder?
It's an option for some subobjectives, and shrieker nests are one of them.

It's actually my go-to way to deal with them as long as I'm not getting swarmed by other bugs. I'm not sure how people have realized this yet, but shriekers aren't actually very dangerous outside of the "deadly ragdoll" bug-their actual attack isn't super strong, won't be done extremely frequently and will generally miss if you keep moving.

So as long as you don't shoot nearby shriekers and turn them into deadly weapons, you can basically just run right in, throw down hellbomb, arm it and leave.

BadLlama posted:

Yes, 150 dps is irredeemable. Bear in mind with 1100 shots per minute and 60 damage per shot, the redeemer has 1100 dps. Even if you're a terrible shot it easily outdamages the dagger. Really, if you're a terrible shot the dagger gets even worse relative to the other sidearms, because it requires perfect constant tracking on target to actually see that meager 150 dps.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

LazyMaybe posted:

Yes, 150 dps is irredeemable. Bear in mind with 1100 shots per minute and 60 damage per shot, the redeemer has 1100 dps. Even if you're a terrible shot it easily outdamages the dagger. Really, if you're a terrible shot the dagger gets even worse relative to the other sidearms, because it requires perfect constant tracking on target to actually see that meager 150 dps.

It's closer to a tight flashlight than a gun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

hey mom its 420 posted:

been managing fine without the arc thrower, thanks to EAT supremacy. I just use sickle/defender and carry an EAT on my back, then when I fire it I drop in a new one and take one with me. that gives you two flex slots, so I take eagle air strike in one slot and random eagle/drone/shield in the other. it's so liberating not having to go hike back for your weapon when you respwan

Certain objectives trigger the Hellbomb drop. Mainly:
-Destroy the research station secondary
-Destroy the bot scanner secondary that summons infinite dropships (often called the Eye of Sauron, also has a bad habit of just not working)
-Destroying bot ammo supplies, landed dropships or fuel depots

There's a few others but yeah, Hellbombs are called in to blow stuff up. Mainly bots so glad we're getting a few bug uses for them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Did you know you can hold reload to switch the default machinegun to "party mode"?? It's a game changer.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Reiley posted:

Did you know you can hold reload to switch the default machinegun to "party mode"?? It's a game changer.

Oh yeah, the Stalwart at 1150RPM is a wonderful thing.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

BitBasher posted:

It's no wet noodle. Someone can feel a wet noodle hit them. :v:

Excellent, time to role play as a guardsman only using that.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah i noticed that too if you just don't kill the shriekers as they're coming at you, they aren't so dangerous. it's cool that you can hellbomb their base. also 2 EAT drops just erase it

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mesadoram posted:

Peace Through Power

I bought the helm, but what is the chest?

Exterminator from the Super Store.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

LazyMaybe posted:

post your fit

For bugs, I run yellow-on-the-left. Against bots I'm Darth Onkel. If I'm designated pilot I run Turtle Club, and if I get stuck with a bunch of losers in light stealth armor I run Granny Clanks.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

You could do more damage with the dagger by using it as a dagger

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

hey mom its 420 posted:

It's always an option you just gotta be close enough for it to appear as a drop.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I've been running with the breaker for a good while now, do people suggest something different now after we've had a few balance patches or are there any solid alternatives otherwise worth checking out?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Dropping a hellbomb on a shrieker nest is basically a last resort thing for if you seriously don't have any other better methods to blow it up from far away like RR/EATS/AutoCannon, I know airstrikes also work but unsure how many you need but even that might arguably be better purely to get it down asap.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I've been running with the breaker for a good while now, do people suggest something different now after we've had a few balance patches or are there any solid alternatives otherwise worth checking out?

I didn't touch the breaker until after the patch, and I didn't particularly care for it, because it depletes ammo so quick.

I moved to the punisher because it felt better and did the job it needed to do (handle enemies that were too close for GL), had plentiful ammo, and I could always top it off.

Nowadays, especially with fliers, I'm all about the Defender: the range and damage are surprisingly good for an smg, ammo is no problem, and you can 1 hand it for objectives (or ballistic shield if that's what you want).

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

Dropping a hellbomb on a shrieker nest is basically a last resort thing for if you seriously don't have any other better methods to blow it up from far away like RR/EATS/AutoCannon, I know airstrikes also work but unsure how many you need but even that might arguably be better purely to get it down asap.

I've seen people with the relevant weapons just ... not do it unless prompted. Sometimes not even then. Maybe they try one rocket/less than ten AC shots and assume it doesn't work?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

If I drop an EAT and turn around and grab one to fire at the Bile Titan chasing us you CAN pick up the other and help me IF you don’t miss at point blank range.

Fricken S4

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Part of the trick of the airstrike is to manipulate its landing zone. Because it always drops in a line perpendicular to the angle you threw it (always from the left to the right from your perspective too IIRC), one thing I like to do is quickly turn 90° to my right and throw it at the ground only a few feet away in the middle of being chased by a big swarm, so that if I continue to run the strike will land in a big line along the path behind me to kill everything that's following me efficiently.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Slugger, slugger and more slugger. You need to pair it with the laser dog for bugs or you'll get swarmed by hunters, but it handles brood commanders and hive guards very well, and it can stop a spitter from vomiting if you hit it in the face. It's an excellent all rounder for bots. There's no other primary that can completely shut down six chainsaw boys running at you, as well as snipe the little guys at a pretty good range.

As for eagle stuff, airstrike is a great swiss army knife against bots. Plenty of uses, kills tanks, fabs and turrets and a pretty good AoE. For bugs, napalm and cluster bomb are better. Napalm can shut down an entire bug breach if you time it right, it's not good for much else though. Cluster bomb has great area and will kill anything smaller than a charger.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

There's plenty of other stuff that's good. The breaker does great raw dps, but it's limited by its armor pen and spread, and is outclassed by almost anything accurate on bot missions(unless you're running a support weapon that can kill small bots from range well and want breaker for berserkers).
Note that whenever you get white hitmarkers instead of red, that means your damage is getting cut in half by armor. This is very noticeable against brood commanders, who have armor matching the armor pen of many primaries on most of their body, which means you can kill them quite quickly with slugger despite its lower damage output. Or better yet, JAR dominator, which has similar damage+pen to the slugger and much better rate of fire in exchange for bad handling.

The way I see primaries currently:
-Best for cleaning up weak bugs (including hunters) in general: liberator, defender, sickle
-Best for killing hunters/stalkers that are right up on you right now: Breaker, punisher
-Best for killing medium armor bugs like brood commanders/hive guardians/bile spewers(headshot): slugger, JAR

-Best for killing common bots: scorcher, diligence, slugger
-Good for berserkers if you have other cheap ranged options: Breaker

-Mediocre in general: Liberator penetrator(outclassed by slugger/JAR), blitzer(generally just a somewhat worse punisher), breaker incendiary(DoT too weak to make up for lower damage)

-Outright bad: scythe(terrible damage), spray and pray(just a worse breaker against everything bigger than a scavenger), plasma punisher(AoE doesn't make up for poo poo damage), liberator concussive(bad gimmick, slugger staggers at range but does real damage), diligence counter sniper(slightly higher damage that doesn't hit important breakpoints and has terrible handling in exchange).

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Tom Tucker posted:

If I drop an EAT and turn around and grab one to fire at the Bile Titan chasing us you CAN pick up the other and help me IF you don’t miss at point blank range.

Fricken S4

Wait I saw an S4 call sign in my lobby the other day...

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Waffle House posted:

I would like to extend a second big thancc to the mod team for arduously slogging out this trend setting gang tag, it is divine.

Feel free to quote this if you're down:

CHEERS 2 DA MODS

omg I would love a gang tag!

I feel like the love I have for the Slugger is only beaten by my love for EATs. One of those 'set it and forget it' type stratagems like the EMS Mortar too, that thing has saved my rear end so many times I love it to bits.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Window for free tags has passed, gotta buy them now.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SplitSoul posted:

Exterminator from the Super Store.

:parrot:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lprsti99 posted:

Window for free tags has passed, gotta buy them now.

Super :10bux:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Exposed drop pod is my new religion.

The goon who told me to keep an eye out for those death plants.

Not pictured me wearing explosive resist armor and eating a grenade that bounced off of a emerging hive guard. I didn't resist enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubaW874u_FY

This is a sponsored post.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

is it just me or have pubbies been getting worse lately? I usually run missions on 8 difficulty, and most people just seem to kind of run around aimlessly without a clear goal in mind. In my recent game I tried so hard to get them to kill a stalker lair with me but everyone just kind of did their own thing. Surprise, in the end we all got hosed up by stalkers

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BurntCornMuffin posted:

* Fires "I'm a thinking helldiver" in Morse code with the grenade launcher. With each shot, a group of enemies rag dolls in the distance.

It really is in the top tier of backpacks, though, especially when paired with GL or either machine gun: you can just spam the #3 for days. It works real well with the medic armor, since you get stims whenever you pull from the backpack, too.

Teammates like it when you refill them right before calling another pack, too.

I did some spreadsheeting the other day that resulted in me going “huh I should use supply pack and grenade launcher” so I did and I can confirm that it owns.

I also switched from +2 grenade armor to med armor to compensate for losing the shield backpack with the extra stims.

Still need EATs though, which tbh is starting to feel like a balance issue. Being able to kill chargers and bile titans faster and more reliably than anything else kind of makes EAT essential. I bet they are seeing enormous amounts of EAT usage after the last patch.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Would love to see a rifle with a bayonet at the end, with the melee button just doing a thrust :histdowns:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

LazyMaybe posted:

-Outright bad: spray and pray(just a worse breaker against everything bigger than a scavenger), plasma punisher(AoE doesn't make up for poo poo damage)
Rest of the post is good advice but both those guns are cool and fun. Breaker and S&P are very similar now, it just comes down to whether you want more DPS or more total damage between reloads. Either works fine. Plasma Punisher has a learning curve but once you get a feel for how to arc shots at varying ranges it's good and unique.

Are either of them S-Tier? Nah, but if you're classifying the Dominator as "usable" they certainly both are as well.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Dren posted:

I did some spreadsheeting the other day that resulted in me going “huh I should use supply pack and grenade launcher” so I did and I can confirm that it owns.

I also switched from +2 grenade armor to med armor to compensate for losing the shield backpack with the extra stims.

Still need EATs though, which tbh is starting to feel like a balance issue. Being able to kill chargers and bile titans faster and more reliably than anything else kind of makes EAT essential. I bet they are seeing enormous amounts of EAT usage after the last patch.

My Bug 7's Demoman setup has been GL, Supply Pack, EMS Mortar, EAT.

I don't like spewers and I don't like being spewed upon. I'm not that reliable at getting bile titans dead but for how often they show up "calling in a support weapon".

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Black Noise posted:

My Bug 7's Demoman setup has been GL, Supply Pack, EMS Mortar, EAT.

I don't like spewers and I don't like being spewed upon. I'm not that reliable at getting bile titans dead but for how often they show up "calling in a support weapon".

You are valid. I run 500kg instead of EMS mortar but EMS mortar is a strong choice for certain mission types. If it’s blowing up egg nests u should take a 500kg.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dren posted:

You are valid. I run 500kg instead of EMS mortar but EMS mortar is a strong choice for certain mission types. If it’s blowing up egg nests u should take a 500kg.

Blasting egg walls with your plentiful grenades really does the business on those missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

fiance watching me play over my shoulder: why are you wearing a cape? do you have to wear a cape?

:wtc: