Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

These 4 guards I'm supposed to follow to the city completely vanished at some point in a cave. I have no idea what happened but it's been 3 days since I last saw them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

When you're doing the mission where you tail the homeless guy and he leaves the bar at night, are you supposed to get forced into long, irrelevant conversations with passersby, so you lose track of him? Two attempts to complete this quest have been derailed by NPCs stopping me to babble about stuff and by the time I've buttoned thorough it, the guy is nowhere to be seen.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Finally managed to make them stop fighting by throwing one down a large set of stairs and carrying the other one all the way up the big nobles quarter. I am truly a diplomat for the ages

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently Ogres (and probably other enemies) instantly die if they're knocked into a river. My pawn shield bashed him off the edge and I got XP, and the other pawns were like "nice, that certainly works."

Edit: Unrelated, but I find that the lack of quest markers isn't much of a problem since "NPCs that might have quests" are usually very obvious.

My only concern is about quests that give really important stuff. Like when the girl from Melve (I think) approached me in the capital and gave me the Chirugeon manual thing. I'm not sure if that's the only way to get that.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Was it in the town itself with a bunch of NPCs helping because lol poo poo I am not fighting a Gryphon!

Nope, was on the road. There may have been one or two caravan guards helping (since it crashed the caravan).

I'm an Archer so was able to avoid most things at range, but when I misjudged something and got hit it knocked off like 2/3 of my health. And since the fight took literally like 20+ minutes, I ended up at a point where that 2/3 was all my HP due to attrition.

My party mostly did fine, except for the Mage who kept dying (which put me at risk healing him).

I'm guessing you can kill stuff like that faster once you get higher level and better gear? The fight wouldn't have been bad at all if it had only lasted half as long. The only time I could even see his HP bar moving is when he was downed and I was using the "machine gun arrow" skill into his face. Machine gun arrow skill owns.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 24, 2024

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

turn off the TV posted:

i killed a cyclops in a ravine with some water in it and its corpse was high enough that i could climb it and then jump over the water to grab a ledge to climb out. the second i was in the air a random loving pawn drowning in the brine told me that she was attentive and cautious and would treat me with curatives as my character dropped like a rock into the brine beside her to listen

traveling pawn ads are probably the main thing i dislike about the game so far outside of performance

I loving hate them when they initiate dialogue. Bitch if I wanted to hire a pawn I'd use a riftstone.

That said, I had all three of my pawns leap off a cliff to their death, and as I was scuttling down to the bottom to rez them I activated a riftstone which despawned all three of them. RIP Frieren and Shinra, sorry about the lack of rating or gift. It was one of the broken riftstones that spit out an overpowered pawn so I just grabbed him and my resummoned actual pawn and ran down the hill a bit more before getting attacked by an ogre, but there was a travelling pawn there too who got involved in the fight and I hired her after we won, which was kind of cool.

Still dumped both their asses when I got back to town, they were CAPCOM pawns, I want to go on adventures with actual people's pawns.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

How do I get the Dullahan quest? I just happened to talk to the guy's wife but no quest appeared and now I'm worried that some invisible timer has started

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing you can kill stuff like that faster once you get higher level and better gear? The fight wouldn't have been bad at all if it had only lasted half as long. The only time I could even see his HP bar moving is when he was downed and I was using the "machine gun arrow" skill into his face. Machine gun arrow skill owns.

yeah, it's usually a combination of your gear + levels that determines how much damage you're going to be able to do to large monsters. some vocations like thief get attacks like helm splitter that massively ups their DPS against them, but you're otherwise better off trying to target specific weakpoints or ground them by e.g. using explosive arrows against their wings midair

Play posted:

How do I get the Dullahan quest? I just happened to talk to the guy's wife but no quest appeared and now I'm worried that some invisible timer has started

there's a guy by a fountain near the entrance to the noble district that mentions where he's gone, which should start the quest properly

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so I figured out how to understand the Elves
Seems you need a pawn with the "Woodland Wordsmith" specialization.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Can someone give me a tldr on when someone can hire your pawn? Is there any restriction or can someone hire them whenever

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vermain posted:

yeah, it's usually a combination of your gear + levels that determines how much damage you're going to be able to do to large monsters. some vocations like thief get attacks like helm splitter that massively ups their DPS against them, but you're otherwise better off trying to target specific weakpoints or ground them by e.g. using explosive arrows against their wings midair

So they don't scale with your level? That's good if so. It definitely seems like orcs go down even easier than they used to.

One issue I ran into was running out of explosive arrows like 1/3 through the fight. I think it took like ~10 cycles of downing him total.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The density of violence in this game is kind of absurd. Like I finish finish off the epic 4 way battle between the Arisen, goblin army, pack of skeletons, and bandit camp and then walk 20 feet down the road and hear a pack of wolves howl ominously...

Google Butt posted:

Can someone give me a tldr on when someone can hire your pawn? Is there any restriction or can someone hire them whenever

Like 10-15 minutes unless you insist on exploring every nook and cranny. Probably like 5 minutes if you just go straight through the critical path, which I recommend doing since (as far as I know) all the rewards for exploring before you make your pawn are extremely marginal.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Owl Inspector posted:

These 4 guards I'm supposed to follow to the city completely vanished at some point in a cave. I have no idea what happened but it's been 3 days since I last saw them

they probably got slimed. Those mfers are NPC dissolvers, legitimately the most dangerous early game enemies for NPCs. They just stand there and melt in them

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Someone teach me how to do actual damage as Sorcerer. Like, going from Archer that can take off half a boss health bar with one explosive shot to this is painful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lmao at the Riftstone of Robustness that summons a dozen perfect wrestlers

Babe Magnet posted:

they probably got slimed. Those mfers are NPC dissolvers, legitimately the most dangerous early game enemies for NPCs. They just stand there and melt in them

There were no slimes in the cave (it's the one with a chimera and a hidden upper level with a lich) and all 4 of them disappeared at the same time while my pawns were fine, so I'm wondering if I got too far from the quest path so they peaced

Anyway I've done another two caves and a bunch of side area since they vanished so I think I'm just going to become a career spelunker instead of looking into any of this "arisen" business

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Once you've saved at an inn that makes a copy of your pawn in that level which people can use. My pawn seems to get used pretty frequently, not that it grants amazing benefits or anything.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Watching these dudes beat each other up reminded me of Oblivion
https://i.imgur.com/st6LUg0.mp4

Having a lot of fun with Trickster, it's easy and fun to manipulate monsters away from your team. Ideally you can move your clone right before it gets hit to avoid it taking damage.

https://i.imgur.com/AV5LCHo.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/7jjjCon.mp4

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have some warrior pawn with me who sucks rear end because he literally runs in circles around me during big monster fights or he does the thing where he flings me into the air for no reason. Like dude wtf are you doing go hit the ogre with your giant sword.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Thanks to everyone who replied with their experience using a system similar to mine! I feel pretty confident I can handle the framerate dips, so I'm excited to get back into it and check out all your weird pawns.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Broken Cog posted:

Someone teach me how to do actual damage as Sorcerer. Like, going from Archer that can take off half a boss health bar with one explosive shot to this is painful.

Get quickspell so you can use stamina to get your big nukes out faster
Target elemental weaknesses, set mobs on fire, freeze them so your pawns can smack them around safely
The lightning skill is my bread and butter damage skill, charges up fast, doesn't care about line of sight, you can keep spamming the button to empty your stamina bar for more damage without winding up another spell.
This is at level ~15 or so, I just learned the earth magic but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
dang woke up to a nice lil chunk of RC so finally got da boy his glasses (and a big fancy hat to hide 'em behind)

to celebrate I set his pawn quest as 10k gold for killing a cyclops, does anyone know how exactly that works? does it charge me for every completion?
if so, uh, I guess make me poor??

06IFOTXMRSSI loves to heal and hold hands n make 'em hot

there's no dyeing right? if anybody sees a red scarf or green pointy hat n robe, please alert me haha

unrelated but very cool experience:
got my first drake kill last night, and my first attempt that ultimately failed at 1/10th of their final health bar after using literally every consumable (every apple counted since my health loss-reduced down to like a sliver and they were full heals haha) was probably the whitest knuckle gaming I've ever done. just a constant scramble and I refused to let a single trusty pawn die, so each meteor spam would force a team wipe and recovery, all in pitch darkness. going into my inventory and seeing i was outta apples was devastating

was able to get 'em on the second attempt much more effectively once I knew their moves, really can't beat DD for the party vs boss playouts

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is there a lantern hotkey for PC?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

“Prithee, huck this giant pot of poison into the Saurian nest. But be wary, the villagers drink from the river across which you throw it”

Maybe I should just walk across the bridge and do it?

I think this quest is meant to be a tutorial for aiming thrown objects except at no point do they actually mention you can do that, so I just hucked it across the river and hoped for the best. I didn't learn you could hold the button down to get a trajectory indicator until I saw videos of people doing it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My pawn has never been summoned even though he's level 15. Maybe giving him Chirugeon will help.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Helm Splitter is so great, I see a big enemy and I simply turn into an airborne blender and tear it the gently caress apart

However I used it to descend from a cliff thinking it'd do the common video game thing of an active skill like that negating fall damage and uh, it does not lmao rip

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Ytlaya posted:

My pawn has never been summoned even though he's level 15. Maybe giving him Chirugeon will help.

The trick is giving your pawn the ranger thong

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
laughing at multiple ogres being spotted in the big city

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m running into a weird problem. Using a switch controller and the A and B and X and Y buttons are reversed in the HUD at the bottom right.

Like hitting A does what is says the A button does but it’s located in the wrong place in the hud. So A is in the south location, B is in the East, etc.

Is there something obvious I’m missing here? Feels super weird and still throws me off.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hrm. Why is the pawn ID search not working? No matter which code I put in, it says it is invalid.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Noise Complaint posted:

The trick is giving your pawn the ranger thong

I think my issue is that my pawn is a non-beastren man who isn't a pretty boy (though he isn't ugly either). So he doesn't tick any boxes for most gamers. And he's a Fighter, which it seems isn't very high demand.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Saxophone posted:

I’m running into a weird problem. Using a switch controller and the A and B and X and Y buttons are reversed in the HUD at the bottom right.

Like hitting A does what is says the A button does but it’s located in the wrong place in the hud. So A is in the south location, B is in the East, etc.

Is there something obvious I’m missing here? Feels super weird and still throws me off.

The UI is only actually built for an xbox controller, which has the opposite AB and XY configurations to the nintendo ones. Anything else it'll just use steam's controller compatibility feature, which converts inputs from your switch controller that way, for whatever reason.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I think my issue is that my pawn is a non-beastren man who isn't a pretty boy (though he isn't ugly either). So he doesn't tick any boxes for most gamers. And he's a Fighter, which it seems isn't very high demand.

You on the sheet yet? If you're on PC, link your Steam profile and just start adding goons on there. I pretty much exclusively use 'Search Friends' Pawns' when I'm hiring a new pawn.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

I present for your consideration Meowmeow Fluffypaws, a catdad of simple inclination. On your adventures he will collect items for you, flambe goblins, harpies, and other beasts, soothe your physical aches with healing magicks, and soothe your spiritual aches with his dulcet tone.

Please take him to see the world, he's a good boy. He's also loving HUGE.

3G6LPLYT3GMN (In the spreadsheet, feel free to add on Steam)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Saxophone posted:

change the button icons type in the controls options

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Explosive arrows are so stupid powerful. I feel like I'm deleting a full boss health bar ever 2 shots. None of the other special moves are remotely as strong.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

You on the sheet yet? If you're on PC, link your Steam profile and just start adding goons on there. I pretty much exclusively use 'Search Friends' Pawns' when I'm hiring a new pawn.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Ytlaya posted:

in all honesty the best way to get summoned is almost certainly 'friendlist a buncha folks' and be decently leveled since that makes the RC cost free. when DD:DA came out on steam I friendlisted an SA thread of folks (who I never bothered unfriending) and I assume that's like all of my hires now really. trying to actually go through threads n docs for codes is pretty cumbersome compared to 'best 0 RC pawn i can just click n spawn', unless it's a REALLY appealing concept

unfortunately for getting randomly hired it feels like it's gonna be pretty rough n infrequent, especially since they also stacked up 'official' pawns and that's on top of like, influencer pawns who some players are going to stick with constantly and reduce overall pawn uses

imo they should have added an additional system: the pawns that get spawned in the world should return you special bonuses too. I've had battles where they've massively helped me and I wanted to thank 'em, but there's no convenient way to do that unfortunately. that bit of 'my pawn did see other worlds and learn things' as an underpinning even if they didn't get hired woulda felt great

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Anyone heard anything about getting rid of the vignette while playing?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

One of my pawns just slut shamed their owner

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Floor is lava posted:

Explosive arrows are so stupid powerful. I feel like I'm deleting a full boss health bar ever 2 shots. None of the other special moves are remotely as strong.

Explosive arrows for bosses, dire shot for yeeting small to medium sized enemies into the great blue yonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Play posted:

One of my pawns just slut shamed their owner

"I was once summoned by a master who only hired female pawns, I wonder why that is"

my pawn, conan: "now there's a sight to see"