Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

'Community Notes' remains the funniest feature ever added to Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

acab includes community notes, they just don't want you to know about the oldest vault

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Putin discovers ancient laboratory of Yakub the scientist who invented white people. NATO is doomed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What type of vault? It's just a weird claim to make in general.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

cult_hero posted:

Putin discovers ancient laboratory of Yakub the scientist who invented white people. NATO is doomed.

Finally, our long nightmare is over.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

putin bustin out the silmarillion to explain to tucker carlson why ukraine must fall

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What type of vault?

Oldest

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I do think we should sack the Vatican's vaults, because I'd put money on them having artifacts that contradict official doctrine.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't care about that I just wanna know if lady pope is real

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't care about that I just wanna know if lady pope is real

I think that's in third oldest vault

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Air Skwirl posted:

I do think we should sack the Vatican's vaults, because I'd put money on them having artifacts that contradict official doctrine.

get back our menorah 😤

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flint_Paper posted:

There was a ghost advert for some Bovril near where I grew up. A faded painting of a happy calf on the side of a building with the words "the concentrated goodness of beef". It's really stuck with me!

Air Skwirl posted:

Pope is powered by secret bovril engine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Air Skwirl posted:

Jesus' old tampons

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

I've never had Bovril but I've been obsessed with this particular ad for a big chunk of my life, ever since I spent a lot of time looking at it while on psychedelics.

He's just such a big brawny boy, and he's so excited that he might get turned into Bovril

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

The Pope & Bovril sounds like a pub

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Ive never had Bovril as it isn't a thing here really but I'm vaguely aware of it enough that it is funny to me to say 'are you bovriled' in a bad fake cockney accent when I want to say 'u mad' irl

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Dameius posted:

Do you also lack an internal monologue?

Nope, that's present. The idea of people not having an internal monologue is very weird to me, but it's fascinating and I wish there were a better way to study it.

Ommin posted:

I've always been curious about this. Do your memories not play in your head like a movie or is that something different? I feel like I am on that spectrum somewhere, in that I can visualize things in my mind but really only through memory. I can't or have extreme difficult creating images in my mind or draw an original image (or draw in general); I just see or hear the words I would use.

This would be nice occasionally. Mine is like a constant loving narration.

If I concentrate hard on certain memories, I can get something like an image, but it's at best a pale, hazy, indistinct thing that's frustratingly slippery and inconsistent. I've never found a pattern to what sticks in there. For example, goon face blindness is definitely associated with this: I can't remember the faces of people I've known for decades with any clarity, even a few minutes after I've stopped looking at them. The idea of the face sticks in there, but not the image. On the other hand, one of the very few things I can picture well (by my standards) is a series of panels from a graphic novel I read when I was seven, which don't even have any special emotional resonance in the context of the story. I find landscapes especially difficult to visualize realistically, so I maintain a big collection of reference images for them.

Some people have it worse than this, and have absolutely zero visualization. I consider myself fortunate to have at least a little bit.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

This probably won't help if you have no visualization at all, but the drawing connection goes both ways, learning to draw improves visualization. The most amazing thing about learning to draw is the way it changes the way you see and imagine.

I completely believe it, based on the casual interviewing I've done with people about this. I'm convinced that having kids draw and paint - with their actual hands rather than on a screen - is absolutely vital to developing this faculty, but you have to do it early, like pre-verbal early, and reinforce it as much as possible.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OwlFancier posted:

why the gently caress does that engine have a random human leg just squatting there

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Engine?

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Kestral posted:

Nope, that's present. The idea of people not having an internal monologue is very weird to me, but it's fascinating and I wish there were a better way to study it.

If I concentrate hard on certain memories, I can get something like an image, but it's at best a pale, hazy, indistinct thing that's frustratingly slippery and inconsistent. I've never found a pattern to what sticks in there. For example, goon face blindness is definitely associated with this: I can't remember the faces of people I've known for decades with any clarity, even a few minutes after I've stopped looking at them. The idea of the face sticks in there, but not the image. On the other hand, one of the very few things I can picture well (by my standards) is a series of panels from a graphic novel I read when I was seven, which don't even have any special emotional resonance in the context of the story. I find landscapes especially difficult to visualize realistically, so I maintain a big collection of reference images for them.

Some people have it worse than this, and have absolutely zero visualization. I consider myself fortunate to have at least a little bit.

I completely believe it, based on the casual interviewing I've done with people about this. I'm convinced that having kids draw and paint - with their actual hands rather than on a screen - is absolutely vital to developing this faculty, but you have to do it early, like pre-verbal early, and reinforce it as much as possible.
Nah, I didn't start drawing until my mid twenties, and my visualizations changed from fairly basic symbols for things to remarkably realistic renderings in just a few years. That may come down to good teachers, or maybe I'm just lucky

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

PainterofCrap posted:

why the gently caress does that engine have a random human leg just squatting there

It's like the classic Atlas-holding-the-world sculpture, only it's Atlas-holding-the-Bovril, and you can't really see his upper body.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

OwlFancier posted:

Can't believe we didn't get an antipope over this bullshit

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I have absolute aphantasia and no internal monologue. With the aphantasia I can't conjure an image no matter how hard I try but I can create an internal monologue if I try it on purpose it just isn't there when I am normally thinking. tbh I really like it because I can't imagine my brain yapping at me constantly, that sounds like a nightmare. It's very easy for me to meditate and anxiety is a rare emotion for me, both of which I attribute to these conditions.

One thing that pisses me off though is lately as the idea of no internal monologue has been making the social media rounds I've seen a lot of really dumb internet commentators claim that it means your an NPC because they think internal monologue = thoughts and if you don't have one you literally can't think which is incredibly dumb and infuriating.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kestral posted:

What about the memory of your favorite A/V experience? Like seeing your favorite movie in the theater for example. Can you visualize the movie the same way you described or can you get a single frame? A gif? A whole scene?

This is so intriguing to me because for my absolute favorite media, if it lands right in my brain, I can basically rewatch from start to finish the entire thing 1:1 in my head.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Where's the worst person jpeg

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Where's the worst person jpeg

My "I am not endorsing crypto currency" tweet is raising a lot of questions answered by the tweet.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Tbf I don't know what it's like in the UK but one of the main genres of social media ad I see here is 'celebrity so and so is JAILED for revealing this investment information' and it comes with photoshopped/AI generated pictures of the celebrity being arrested and it's always a crypto scam

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kestral posted:

If I concentrate hard on certain memories, I can get something like an image, but it's at best a pale, hazy, indistinct thing that's frustratingly slippery and inconsistent. I've never found a pattern to what sticks in there. For example, goon face blindness is definitely associated with this: I can't remember the faces of people I've known for decades with any clarity, even a few minutes after I've stopped looking at them.
If I'm looking at someone and then turn my back, unless I made a point of remembering particular details I won't be able to tell you what they're wearing, what colour their hair is, or anything much at all about their appearance, but I have absolutely no problem recognising people or noticing changes in their appearance. The memory is stored there, I just can't call it up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Tbf I don't know what it's like in the UK but one of the main genres of social media ad I see here is 'celebrity so and so is JAILED for revealing this investment information' and it comes with photoshopped/AI generated pictures of the celebrity being arrested and it's always a crypto scam
PYF Twoots, Skoots, and Toots: It's Always A Crypto Scam

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Dameius posted:

What about the memory of your favorite A/V experience? Like seeing your favorite movie in the theater for example. Can you visualize the movie the same way you described or can you get a single frame? A gif? A whole scene?

This is so intriguing to me because for my absolute favorite media, if it lands right in my brain, I can basically rewatch from start to finish the entire thing 1:1 in my head.

I have to preface this by saying that I'm not a huge A/V guy, I'm mostly a reader, so even my favorite A/V experiences aren't as memorable as a book that rates as "pretty good." That said, this question made me sit down and think about it for a while.

I can get (hazy, indistinct) still images from a handful of films and shows, ones that got burned in by some emotional payload that might have nothing to do with what the movie was intending. Like, one of the first that comes to mind that I can call up is the end of The King's Speech, where I can sorta-kinda picture the microphone he's walking up to. But, I know the only reason that's in there is because the couple behind me were talking through the speech of a movie called The King's Speech, and it's one of the only times I've called an usher into a theater. I can call up a vague picture of the Darth Vader / Obi-Wan lightsaber duel, but I can only see Obi-Wan's face with anything like clarity - the set and Vader are a blur. I can kinda see the xenomorph from Alien extending its mouth-head thing, but it's mostly this series of ominous black curves with silvery highlights rather than anything with real detail.

Tiggum posted:

If I'm looking at someone and then turn my back, unless I made a point of remembering particular details I won't be able to tell you what they're wearing, what colour their hair is, or anything much at all about their appearance, but I have absolutely no problem recognising people or noticing changes in their appearance. The memory is stored there, I just can't call it up.

Yep, this is accurate to my experience, although I do have trouble recognizing people I've only seen in pictures or films/TV. A costume change and a year or two of aging and I have no idea they are until someone points it out, unless they have a seriously distinctive face.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tiggum posted:

Nope. I remember things like they're written stories narrated by me. I don't know how I experience dreams while I'm dreaming, since I'm only conscious of them when I wake up, at which point I remember them the same way as everything else - words.

Aha! So if you can imagine words then clearly the solution is to form images with the letters and symbols, like ASCII text!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Aha! So if you can imagine words then clearly the solution is to form images with the letters and symbols, like ASCII text!

No, it's just the narration. I can't see the words. No images at all, only my own voice.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I can picture the scene where Neo says "No." clearly enough to count the bullets.

I'd be way off, of course.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Dameius posted:

I've experimented with listening to the audio of a favorite movie on a long drive like a podcast or something and could recall it nearly frame by frame in my head just from the audio.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tiggum posted:

This is wild stuff. Are you able to draw? Did you find learning to read especially easy or difficult?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

D-Pad posted:

really dumb internet commentators claim that it means your an NPC because they think internal monologue = thoughts and if you don't have one you literally can't think which is incredibly dumb and infuriating.

The concept of human NPCs is so fundamentally thoughtless and harmful you can discount anyone who uses the term as you might discount a Nazi.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://aus.social/@shermozle/112149126337733438

https://mastodon.art/@Bymossypine/112134316699758032

https://mastodon.social/@mcc/112130290102118956

https://tech.lgbt/@endali/112129574149142468

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

This is wild stuff. Are you able to draw? Did you find learning to read especially easy or difficult?

I can't draw at all. Even my stick figures come out all wonky and inconsistent. Then again, my handwriting is also basically illegible, and I know I can make the effort to do that better so it's possible I could learn to draw well too, if I were sufficiently motivated. :shrug:

I don't have any memory of learning to read and I don't know if I was reading at a particularly young age or anything like that. I know I've always been good at spelling, but I attribute that to reading a lot as a child; you see words often enough you get to remember how they go. Did I read a lot because I was particularly good at it? Maybe? Did I read a lot because I was bad at sports (and my parents wouldn't have let me watch TV all day), or was I bad at sports because I spent all my time inside, reading? Who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS