Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I have some warrior pawn with me who sucks rear end because he literally runs in circles around me during big monster fights or he does the thing where he flings me into the air for no reason. Like dude wtf are you doing go hit the ogre with your giant sword.

That's really cool if you're a melee guy, but... not useful otherwise. Pawns don't seem to know that they should take the ride, and probably would need to see it happen to think to do it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Grondoth posted:

That's really cool if you're a melee guy, but... not useful otherwise. Pawns don't seem to know that they should take the ride, and probably would need to see it happen to think to do it themselves.

I think I watched him chuck my fighter onto this dragon thing I was fighting who had a lot of fun on it im sure. But then he spent the rest of the fight doing literal circles around me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

what's up with the steam reviews, this is tracking like a horrible mobile game or some poo poo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm so glad the old inclination system is gone so you can safely use the pawn commands as much as you want without worrying about it changing their AI to guardian or whatever

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

victrix posted:

what's up with the steam reviews, this is tracking like a horrible mobile game or some poo poo

game runs bad on pc and there's the usual capcom "sell basic things" dlc which people are suddenly mad about because of the former

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Can someone rent my pawn and give them the logistician item? The interaction bugged and now I can't get it myself :3

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Is there a lantern hotkey for PC?

Ctrl+R

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What item is that? I rented a Capcom pawn once and they had that and made some potions randomly, gathered more stuff too it seemed.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

They're steam reviews dude it's just like an online newspaper comment section.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
On Steam Is there a way to get the UI display to show the PlayStation controller glyphs?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How do you activate the archer core skill that changes the default aimed shot to a more powerful version?

JackDarko posted:

On Steam Is there a way to get the UI display to show the PlayStation controller glyphs?

Controls->Button Icon Type in the options

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 24, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh man, they brought it back from DD1

i loving love this game

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It must be a defensive reaction because the last two days I've read, "I leveled up from 1 to 8 outside a town, goty", "I can throw things goty", "an item from the last game is in this one, love the game".

It reads like Star Citizen fans at times who haven't played a game in a decade. I never played the first game, what does this provide that's new? People have gotten so caught up in the DLC debate, I just wanna know why the game is good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barreft posted:

It must be a defensive reaction because the last two days I've read, "I leveled up from 1 to 8 outside a town, goty", "I can throw things goty", "an item from the last game is in this one, love the game".

It reads like Star Citizen fans at times who haven't played a game in a decade. I never played the first game, what does this provide that's new? People have gotten so caught up in the DLC debate, I just wanna know why the game is good.

to strip it to the studs: it's a pretty good third person action RPG with a vast and hostile world that, especially in DD2, you really have to trek your way through to get anywhere or do anything. i think it comes the closest to capturing the essence of playing D&D better than title i've played, since the aggregate of its systems - camping bonuses, the loss gauge, limited strongbox access, dynamic day/night, extremely limited fast travel - creates that sense of you going on a proper adventure without any guardrails to catch you if you stumble. it captures everything they were (inconsistently) aiming for in DD1 and sharpens it to a fine edge, so the high level of friction the game provides is sensibly thought out and not simply there to be an irritating throwback

i think people tend to go for relatively easy throwaway lines like those because it is very hard to encapsulate what makes it enjoyable in a couple of sentences. i think the closest metaphor i can think of that most people will understand is your very first trip down to blighttown in dark souls where you're a thousand feet underground with what seems like an impossible climb back up and you gotta figure your own way out of it, but that feeling is enlarged to be an entire game

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vermain posted:

to strip it to the studs: it's a pretty good third person action RPG with a vast and hostile world that, especially in DD2, you really have to trek your way through to get anywhere or do anything. i think it comes the closest to capturing the essence of playing D&D better than title i've played, since the aggregate of its systems - camping bonuses, the loss gauge, limited strongbox access, dynamic day/night, extremely limited fast travel - creates that sense of you going on a proper adventure without any guardrails to catch you if you stumble. it captures everything they were (inconsistently) aiming for in DD1 and sharpens it to a fine edge, so the high level of friction the game provides is sensibly thought out and not simply there to be an irritating throwback

i think people tend to go for relatively easy throwaway lines like those because it is very hard to encapsulate what makes it enjoyable in a couple of sentences. i think the closest metaphor i can think of that most people will understand is your very first trip down to blighttown in dark souls where you're a thousand feet underground with what seems like an impossible climb back up and you gotta figure your own way out of it, but that feeling is enlarged to be an entire game

Thanks I appreciate a real response. I'm liking the game a lot besides the performance and the vignette darkness covering 25% of my monitor lol

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Minotaur came into the city wanting to do some shopping and everyone panicked, so he did too and I had to kill the poor scared guy. :( Hopefully no important NPCs died.

I'm getting tired of pawns going 'I KNOW HOW TO DO THIS QUEST, FOLLOW ME HEY LISTEN FOLLOW ME oh you want to do something else, okay, FOLLOW ME ARISEN'

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

George Sex - REAL posted:

Can someone rent my pawn and give them the logistician item? The interaction bugged and now I can't get it myself :3

In exchange for the Forager's Tome :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please tell me there is a setting or a mod or something to auto-continue NPC conversations. It's so weird and awkward. It's like they found my real-life weakness and decided to put it in a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRuJQBfXDK4

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Barreft posted:

the first game was already pretty unique and idiosyncratic, i never managed to get into it though since its also a very obtuse RPG that doesnt mind wasting your time but there was clearly some hilarious NPC interaction and physics based combat shenanigans if you could stick with it

this one has its hooks into me though and is very fun, but the performance is inexcusably bad unless you luck out and your system can tolerate it/you can tolerate it. though its not exactly unique for a new PC game to run like absolute poo poo and there isn't really any reason I can see that it shouldnt be able to run well if they have the knowhow or effort to fix it. i've still stuck with it for 10 hours now and had a good time for almost all of it despite the lovely performance

basically its an open world obviously DnD inspired RPG set in a fairly generic world but with character action combat thats sort of a mix of devil may cry, monster hunter and shadow of the collosus, the actual combat gameplay is very strong and also chaotic and leads to all kinds of emergent comedy as varous enemies and NPCs all clash into eachother kinda like red dead except if red dead enemies could grab and throw eachother or climb all over eachother or you had a posse with you that a bear just runs off with.
the chaotic stuff and interactivity leads to some jank but the jank is part of the game and what all the fans who stuck with the first game fondly associate with the game as well as the flashy combat.

the big monster fights arent quite like anything else in videogaming, its closest to monster hunter but you can grab monsters legs and pull them off balance or toss a teammate onto a cyclops' head to stab its eye, or you get onto a minotaurs back and it starts bucking like a bronco flinging you around as it knocks down trees. at one point i fought a mini dragon and it decided it had had enough and flew away with my rogue partner still clinging to its head and stabbing wildly as it flew into the distance

fwiw i do agree there is also a bit of a defensive reaction going on, but its cause the first game was a cult classic and none of the bad stuff is really anything that bugs fans of the first game too badly. plus the DLC reaction is genuinely stupid and based on misunderstanding and reddit/influencer brigading, the actual game is solid.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 24, 2024

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sephmitchell/status/1771615967488901205

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I can never see the loving ladders!!!

Ive got a dumb question: how do I give my pawn a hire quest / how do I get more wakestones

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

I can never see the loving ladders!!!

Ive got a dumb question: how do I give my pawn a hire quest / how do I get more wakestones

I’m wondering this too. There is an achievement for it lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Turk posted:

Ctrl+R

Thanks! Saves me a lot of hassle.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

External Organs posted:

Ive got a dumb question: how do I give my pawn a hire quest

You can set your pawns hire quest inside a rift stone

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Owl Inspector posted:

lmao at the Riftstone of Robustness that summons a dozen perfect wrestlers

There were no slimes in the cave (it's the one with a chimera and a hidden upper level with a lich) and all 4 of them disappeared at the same time while my pawns were fine, so I'm wondering if I got too far from the quest path so they peaced

Anyway I've done another two caves and a bunch of side area since they vanished so I think I'm just going to become a career spelunker instead of looking into any of this "arisen" business

My guards have also disappeared after a harpy attack. Going to look around to see if I can find them.

Saxophone posted:

I’m running into a weird problem. Using a switch controller and the A and B and X and Y buttons are reversed in the HUD at the bottom right.

Like hitting A does what is says the A button does but it’s located in the wrong place in the hud. So A is in the south location, B is in the East, etc.

Is there something obvious I’m missing here? Feels super weird and still throws me off.

Change the Button Icon type to B and it should map the prompts correctly.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Does this game have a good amount of open world exploration ala Elder Scrolls games?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Axetrain posted:

Does this game have a good amount of open world exploration ala Elder Scrolls games?

Ooh this puts Elder Scrolls to shame. It isnt even a fair comparison. If you want open world exploration, this is literally the best RPG for that right now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Axetrain posted:

Yeah. I'm not gonna put it on the level of elden ring but that's kind of the whole game
E: oh you said elder scrolls. Then yes

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Sold

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Played about 4 hours had a lot of fun! I've got a pretty beefy processor i9 13900 so only seeing frame dips into the 40s not too bad. I get a solid 60 out in the wilderness.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

bad pic of my pawn stabbing the poo poo out of a dragons face as it flies away

me and my pawn just chillin

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

George Sex - REAL posted:

I was being serious, I'll give you my Logistician's if you give me a Forager's. That little poo poo Malcolm refused to give it to me

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
I'm pretty sure you can get pawn specialization scrolls from raising affinity with NPCs. I made a habit of giving flowers to the bar keeper in the capital and she gave me a logistician scroll eventually. This is after already getting one from the priest dude.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I've been off the past couple of days so I've been just eating this game up, so far some basic observations are the thief lasso ability is extremely good since when upgraded it pretty much yanks everything to you where you can execute it almost immediately.

Initially I was kind of worried about not having range on the thief but honestly you just don't need it with the lasso.

The skyward attack for warriors is almost a guaranteed knock down if you hit something big in the head with it

The warrior downward attack that you get when you're just standing on a monster as opposed to clinging is also extremely powerful if you do it on like their head or whatever.

Also, something that's just very funny is if you use the radiance augment from ranger, everybody shields their eyes when you walk next to them with the lantern

Sloober fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 24, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jedrick posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get pawn specialization scrolls from raising affinity with NPCs. I made a habit of giving flowers to the bar keeper in the capital and she gave me a logistician scroll eventually. This is after already getting one from the priest dude.

Yeah I gathered that you could do this, but the wikis for this game are still basically non-existent, so I'm not sure which NPC I should be buttering up. Anyone know a confirmed Forager-giver?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Broken Cog posted:

*Runs past a campsite*

"No arisen! We shouldn't camp when we have no need!"
"Camping often is a waste of our resources!"
"We need not rest arisen! Let's continue on!"
etc etc etc

I've actually had the opposite situation:

*Wake up in the morning, run past a campsite 2 minutes later*

"Ahh, it would be good to rest for a moment, master!"
"The Arisen dictates when we rest or do not!"
"Yes, we must push on, be brave and have faith in the Arisen's plans!"

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Should I not be equipping my non main-pawns with stuff and just getting new ones regularly? And should I sell all the crap they’re carrying before I send them away?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hm, the girl in Melve I bought the medicine for was supposed to give me a specialization book when I found her in the capital apparently? Because she totally didn't.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Barreft posted:

Honestly this game is garbage. Don't play it. In fact you should just leave the thread right away and never return so you don't get tricked by fancy arguments and waste your money. Just trying to help you out here man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Should I not be equipping my non main-pawns with stuff and just getting new ones regularly? And should I sell all the crap they’re carrying before I send them away?

Do not equip your support pawns with stuff unless you're fine with losing your items, because they will take your equipment with them.

All the non-equipped stuff they're carrying, on the other hand, should automatically be sent to your storage when they leave.