Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Keromaru5 posted:

I've been substitute teaching the last few months, and just a few weeks ago, I listened to some teenagers talking about Beethoven and the Sandlot. So yeah, I don't think they're gonna destroy movies anytime soon.

They were listening to it though Tiktok.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Love Mike saying "we're not talking about X" and they always do.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
High praise for Kingo in this one

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The ironic thing about their comments regarding Back to the Future not being touched is that there's currently a (fairly lovely) Back to the Future musical playing on Broadway and it's exactly what you think it is.

Don't forget about that animated TV series.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The ironic thing about their comments regarding Back to the Future not being touched is that there's currently a (fairly lovely) Back to the Future musical playing on Broadway and it's exactly what you think it is.

There was also the animated series which sounds exactly like what mike was suggesting. As well as a video game that brings back most of the cast and takes place after the third movie so it could serve as a sequel. It's been touched a lot more than they realize.

efb in the same minute

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fashion plate Rich Evans knows a Star Wars Christmas sweater is appropriate any time of year

Also a Santa outfit and a Jackolantern hoodie? eh?

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 24, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Lister posted:

There was also the animated series which sounds exactly like what mike was suggesting. As well as a video game that brings back most of the cast and takes place after the third movie so it could serve as a sequel. It's been touched a lot more than they realize.

efb in the same minute

I was thinking more about old crap being brought back for today, like the only reason anyone is paying $300 to for the lovely BTTF Broadway musical is to see the delorean do a flip over the audience at the end.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Groovelord Neato posted:

I saw it! I saw it! I saw it!

It's not a great movie, but it's great fun.

It seems like Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan have sort of realized they'll never quite get the vibe of the original back, particularly if Murray won't star, so they're simply making adventuresome movies with spills and chills and spookiness and teamwork and heart. "Afterlife" and "Frozen Empire" are the kinds of movie that would have played beautifully in the 1980s.

I enjoyed every minute. Old characters, new characters. (I thought the balance worked, I didn't feel like anyone was short-changed.)

I think you need to be in a certain breed of Ghostbusters vibe to enjoy this as much as I did — you have to really enjoy technobabble and Aykroydian ghost mumbo-jumbo, this time without Murray around to deflate it quite as often. Oh well.

This sounds like someone forcing themselves to think it's good.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

This sounds like someone forcing themselves to think it's good.

You must simply be in a certain breed of Ghostbusters vibe

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

High praise for Kingo in this one

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Saw the trailer for Ghostbusters before Dune and I literally scoffed when they said "no eyewitnesses" and I'm glad they parodied that in the new HITB lmao

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Keromaru5 posted:

I've been substitute teaching the last few months, and just a few weeks ago, I listened to some teenagers talking about Beethoven and the Sandlot. So yeah, I don't think they're gonna destroy movies anytime soon.

Those teens knew you were listening and they were profiling you.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just when I thought I had that rizz.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
You don't wanna rizz the teens buddy

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Most teens didn't give a poo poo about 80s movies 20 years ago. But the turbo nerds did and then they grew up to become us. There will always be some turbo nerd kids out there.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

movies are easy:

step1: give money to Denis Villenueve
step2: done

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

aledesma posted:

movies are easy:

That's all well and good, but have you considered instead spending $200 million on the Joker singing “A Couple of Swells,” the Fred Astair and Judy Garland duet from the 1948 musical Easter Parade

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

yesterday i was talking to someone about beetlejuice and then it became about how much we love michael keaton and then i just rewatched birdman for the 50th time. jesus i love that movie. this may be one of my favorite scenes in any film ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoj1SKkvj8E

such believable emotion from keaton only to psych everyone out lol. so good

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

jay got a haircut and mikes hands have swollen up

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Michael Keaton rocks. I really like how he is in the Elmore Leonard movies as the same character and it was kind of shared universe before that was a thing lol (Out of Sight and Jackie Brown as Ray Nicolette, and he kills it)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

aledesma posted:

movies are easy:

:haibrow:

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

Hackers film 1995 posted:

yesterday i was talking to someone about beetlejuice and then it became about how much we love michael keaton and then i just rewatched birdman for the 50th time. jesus i love that movie. this may be one of my favorite scenes in any film ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoj1SKkvj8E

such believable emotion from keaton only to psych everyone out lol. so good

No juice was loose in that scene.

0/10.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1771582277983617381?t=iLls3ksM6EYR-KBPNt7G_w&s=19

The eternal question of whether Ford is playing to the camera or if he's in hell.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

he's in hell but a paycheck is a paycheck

Vakal
May 11, 2008
those crashed planes don't pay for themselves

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vakal posted:

those crashed planes don't pay for themselves

Well those drat leeching planes should get a drat job then. :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Honestly the biggest surprise of the video was learning Mike shared a film class with Josh.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Watched ROTJ 4K83 version with the kids today. Struck by a few things:

- Just going by the OT, I'd find it entirely possible that lightsabers were just Obi-wan and Anakin's thing. He calls it "the weapon of a Jedi knight" but not necessarily, like, THE weapon. Obi-wan "trains" him in lightsaber use for only the duration of a single flight, and even then the main objective of the training is using the Force -- doing it with his eyes closed. It's treated more as just an alternative to a gun, not some sacred rite of passage. Later, the emperor kinda looks at the saber like "oh isn't that cute, he made one just like his dad". And I don't think Yoda even acknowledges it at all, except indirectly when saying "leave your weapons, you will not need them." There's absolutely nothing to suggest that Force users have any unique connection to lightsabers.

- The emperor treats Vader as way more of a lackey than I remembered. He's even kinda trying to get rid of him before the big throne room confrontation. He eventually sees him as useful as a possible way of triggering Luke to turn to the dark side, after the space battle alone doesn't seem to be doing the trick. But overall he doesn't show a whole lot of interest in Vader.

- As great as it is to have the original Anakin ghost (and the kids had no trouble at all understanding who it was), I did cringe a little at the fact that he was wearing the same robe as Obi-wan. You can already start seeing the prequel mindset creep in here for sure. Though I guess they were from the same planet so it kind of makes sense.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1771582277983617381?t=iLls3ksM6EYR-KBPNt7G_w&s=19

The eternal question of whether Ford is playing to the camera or if he's in hell.

He’s really good in that show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

He says that before every shot. Seen multiple interviews with co-stars laughing at that great joke he dropped on them right before cameras rolled, but it's just like his stock old man line. Get new material you bum!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
we need to stop abusing doddering old men like this

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

RealityWarCriminal posted:

mike makes these videos by choice

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

- The emperor treats Vader as way more of a lackey than I remembered. He's even kinda trying to get rid of him before the big throne room confrontation. He eventually sees him as useful as a possible way of triggering Luke to turn to the dark side, after the space battle alone doesn't seem to be doing the trick. But overall he doesn't show a whole lot of interest in Vader.

Vader was tasked with crushing the rebellion for three movies and he kept loving it up. I'd be looking to upgrade too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Lister posted:

Vader was tasked with crushing the rebellion for three movies and he kept loving it up. I'd be looking to upgrade too.

"Unfortunately due to budget constraints..."

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
In Star Trek what does it mean when they unbutton that little flap on the front of their shirts. Does that mean they are off duty?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sunk Dunk posted:

In Star Trek what does it mean when they unbutton that little flap on the front of their shirts. Does that mean they are off duty?
Essentially yeah.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

Means they're looking to swing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sunk Dunk posted:

it's like loosening your tie after work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
https://voca.ro/1ixE67VJrgrj