Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/daveyupper/status/1771736538222629099

Even the shootout was fun tonight. Rangers are pure vibes right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

https://x.com/daveyupper/status/1771736538222629099

Even the shootout was fun tonight. Rangers are pure vibes right now.

:discourse: beauties

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
N: the Sharks are bad
V: this is good

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

https://twitter.com/LeafsNews/status/1771726243244748908

I like Tre's team a lot more than any of the Dubas teams. Joel Edmundson shutting down McDavid is exactly what I expected to happen lmao

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Arabian Jesus posted:

I like Tre's team a lot more than any of the Dubas teams. Joel Edmundson shutting down McDavid is exactly what I expected to happen lmao

https://x.com/lukefoxjukebox/status/1771728786758730155?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Something about this year just is different, proud of us for that

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

fawning deference posted:

7 assists in the past 2 games for McDavid, at 89 now. On pace for more than 110 on the season. Most ever by a player not named Gretzky or Mario, and he has an outside shot at Mario's 114.

What's amazing is that he started the season slow, by his standards, but has recently been scoring at the same level he did last season. So, in his final 14 games, 20 assists doesn't seem *that* outlandish.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Arabian Jesus posted:

Announcer really trying hard to make some hits consequential. Maybe I'm just used to years of Orlov hip checks and Tom Wilson KOs but that was... nothing?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

So with 10-14 games, depending on the team, left to go. I think it's safe to assume in the East that Boston, Florida, Toronto, NYR, and Carolina have all made the playoffs. Philly is still hanging onto the 3rd spot in the Metro by 4 points (but the Caps have two games in-hand), and Tampa and Detroit are holding onto the WC spots by a handful of points. I think, realistically, the only two teams on the outside that have a chance are the Caps and Isles.

In the West, things are a little more solidified. Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Nashville, all look like they have made it. And while LA and Vegas aren't as locked in, only St. Louis and Minnesota have a shot.

Kind of amazing the Red Wings haven't made the playoffs since 15-16. That's been long enough for them to pay for their sins.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

Announcer really trying hard to make some hits consequential. Maybe I'm just used to years of Orlov hip checks and Tom Wilson KOs but that was... nothing?

Lol multiple weak rear end hits, the first one Edmunsson still landed on his rear end. Big respectful handshake energy from these announcers.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

What's amazing is that he started the season slow, by his standards, but has recently been scoring at the same level he did last season. So, in his final 14 games, 20 assists doesn't seem *that* outlandish.

It's funny, I remember him starting slow but when I check his monthly scoring splits, I guess I remember him doing a lot worse. 29 points in 20 games is a slow start lol.

Since 2024 started he's got 67 points in 34 games and 21 in his last 11. I think he winds up second in scoring and just behind Kucherov. I thought he would catch Kucherov but he keeps producing so probably not. Nasty Nate is in trouble though.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also I still have to remind myself that he already has 5 Art Ross and 3 Hart trophies at age 27.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah, but how naturally excited can you be for a game with teams like the Leafs or the Oilers, it's not like they're gonna win a cup in our lifetime, the announcer has to hype it up

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That Leafs announcer is awful.

Gavrikov has been such a steal for the Kings. Reliable on defense and adds a decent bit on offense.

edit: he has a stupid little goal celebration where he mimes calling someone. Notice Kopitar and Kempe getting in on the fun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usnPVusGL1M

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 24, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Forsberg Mustaches managed a 1-0 shutout against the Wings, but given how dogshit awful their defense has been in the past month I’m kinda surprised it wasn’t more. Come on Forsbergs, I thought you guys were hot?

But seriously, the wings look incredibly bad and I’ll be surprised if we make the playoffs.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

th3t00t posted:

I've been on team "I hope they crash and burn so hard that it forces Pegula to take action" since like November when I knew the season was lost without some big changes.

edit: And how are you AVs fans enjoying my boy Casey Mitts?

Mittelstadt has been great so far. a complete 180 from Johansen. he’s been getting more comfortable with the system and driving chances. I don’t think I realized how good he is on the forecheck through his positioning and being in the right place. when he’s playing with Lehkonen they take away a lot. I’m not sure what the playoff lines are going to be but two of Mittelstadt, Nichushkin and Lehkonen on one line is going to be really tough to play against

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The Forsberg Mustaches managed a 1-0 shutout against the Wings, but given how dogshit awful their defense has been in the past month I’m kinda surprised it wasn’t more. Come on Forsbergs, I thought you guys were hot?

But seriously, the wings look incredibly bad and I’ll be surprised if we make the playoffs.

15-0-2 since Barry cancelled the U2 concert at the Sphere for the boys

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Mika had a Forsberg shootout goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YgrCGxZ9O8&t=455s

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

The Dirty Burger posted:

15-0-2 since Barry cancelled the U2 concert at the Sphere for the boys
Imagine if they actually played well because they were supposed to, not because they were forbidden from seeing the world's most insufferable band.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 24, 2024

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Habibi posted:

N: the Sharks are bad
V: this is good

They did what I expected them to do. This is great. Wish they did this last year with Bedard.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

trilljester posted:

They did what I expected them to do. This is great. Wish they did this last year with Bedard.

They didn't pick Bedard, but getting Will Smith and the best chance for Celebrini is a great consolation.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Old man Ovi scored two more.

:psyduck:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
He's gonna finish with the best 30+ career in the history of sports.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

He's gonna finish with the best 30+ career in the history of sports.

Sorry to have to say this but Touchdown Tom Brady

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/OVECHKlN/status/1769059195721027766?s=20

Wish TJ could stay healthy, he’s so good when he is.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jets are in peak first round form

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

shyduck posted:

Jets are in peak first round form

Eerily similar to last year, red hot start and then actively making GBS threads their pants come February, barely holding on to a wildcard spot. Is it a Rick Bowness thing?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/CBJcenter/status/1771987276840538471

Praise Jobu. At least with Nash, I was afraid they'd go for "prodigal son who hosed off for several years and came home to vouch for Mike Goddamn Babcock comes home to run the team".

(e- For context, the other possible internal candidates:

quote:

Blue Jackets president of hockey operations John Davidson, who is currently serving as interim GM, indicated on the day of Kekäläinen’s dismissal that he had two criteria for the next GM. First, he wants a person with experience, either as an NHL GM or with a front-row seat to the job. And, second, he was planning to look outside Nationwide Arena for the next hire.

That would seem to eliminate Nash as a candidate; it would also eliminate other highly regarded Blue Jackets hockey operations staffers, including current assistant GMs Basil McRae and Josh Flynn and director of player personnel Chris Clark.

...were that guy from The Mighty Ducks and the last Capitals captain prior to Ovechkin.)

Mr. Kite posted:

That Leafs announcer is awful.

Gavrikov has been such a steal for the Kings. Reliable on defense and adds a decent bit on offense.

edit: he has a stupid little goal celebration where he mimes calling someone. Notice Kopitar and Kempe getting in on the fun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usnPVusGL1M

I will hear no Hotline Bling slander. :colbert:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 24, 2024

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ovi took 43 games to get to 8 goals to start the season.

He now has 8 goals in his last five games.

:psyduck:

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Eerily similar to last year, red hot start and then actively making GBS threads their pants come February, barely holding on to a wildcard spot. Is it a Rick Bowness thing?

It seems like everyone but the coaching staff has figured out that Scheifele and Connor are so bad defensively that it more than cancels out their offense. They won't even split them up for a game

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I always tell myself to never doubt Ovie. Then I begin to doubt Ovie. Then he shows me I am stupid. So I go back to saying I should never doubt Ovie.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he beat Gretzky’s record next season.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wait, why are we all changing opinions on Ovechkin now? Because he has recently put up numbers akin to Drake Batherson?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Wanna know what gear he’s on

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Wait, why are we all changing opinions on Ovechkin now? Because he has recently put up numbers akin to Drake Batherson?
It's opinions relating to his chances of breaking the goals record. If he had a 15 goal year (which was his pace) it'd be pretty reasonable to think he's fully cooked and would retire before breaking the record. If he's still a 30+ goal scorer than he'd break it within 2 seasons.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh yeah, I agree he’s still Ovechkin, but I don’t really agree that he’s back to his old form. The past month or so doesn’t give me much confidence is all.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

One of Ovechkin's goals today was him interfering with his own player and the puck still going in because there's a cosmic force trying to keep the Flyers out of the postseason

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

shyduck posted:

One of Ovechkin's goals today was him interfering with his own player and the puck still going in because there's a cosmic force trying to keep the Flyers out of the postseason

They call that one Justice.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1772023702206755294

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/dPyjQNPC0S8

Been a long time since he’s had a finish this slick. He used to do that every game in his youth.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Oh yeah, I agree he’s still Ovechkin, but I don’t really agree that he’s back to his old form. The past month or so doesn’t give me much confidence is all.

Not saying he is back to his old form, just that he is still a 30 goal scorer and is still likely to break the record because of that. He also has 18 goals in his last 24 games so it's encouraging to see that he can still slam them down even if he's not a 45-55 goal a year player anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I hope he matches Gretzky's record and then retires the next day.