Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Non Compos Mentis posted:

ancient greek name pter

Pterohelic dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

What if the drone is on a conveyor belt?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashcans posted:

There’s optimism, and then there is whatever this is

https://i.imgur.com/3PYpdfw.mp4

No smooth sailing for that boat.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Steamboat Willie is already pretty much a perfect classic, we don't need any loving kooky modern adaptations!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Now he's rolling in the deep.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Sacrificing a roller to Neptune like that is how you guarantee smooth sailing

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

(they parked on top of an underground public urinal that is only raised on weekend nights to stop drunk people from peeing everywhere)

spechtie has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Mar 24, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

spechtie posted:

(they parked on top of an underground public urinal that is only raised on weekend nights to stop drunk people from peeing everywhere)

That’s some sci fi poo poo

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Some worker was crushed to death while performing maintenance work on one of those in London which is certainly a way to go

I imagine in normal use there's a bunch of failsafes on them to prevent this happening but imagining being pissed and trying to take a leak then the hydraulics failing and getting cocooned in a smelly piss hole is loving terrifying

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spechtie posted:

The bike lock is :discourse:

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:

Helicopter is a compound word made from the Greek words Helico and Pter.

that's not fun, it's stupid. Language is stupid.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jen heir rick posted:

As a cunning linguist, I can confirm this.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Jen heir rick posted:

its like a conspiracy, all the people that make me angry use it

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Elias_Maluco posted:

I love that we do this poo poo instead of curing the sick, feeding the hungry and going to the stars. loving dumbass idiot species. Look at the piss boner erecting from the ground, I think as I die from a fentanyl inflicted gunshot

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Butterfly Valley posted:

I imagine in normal use there's a bunch of failsafes on them to prevent this happening but imagining being pissed and trying to take a leak then the hydraulics failing and getting cocooned in a smelly piss hole is loving terrifying

We call that "The Berlin Sarcophagus"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Karate Bastard posted:

I love that we do this poo poo instead of curing the sick, feeding the hungry and going to the stars. loving dumbass idiot species. Look at the piss boner erecting from the ground, I think as I die from a fentanyl inflicted gunshot

I feel like the folks working on the retractable urinal are probably not the same guys working on curing cancer. Like if you pulled them off project pisser-b-gone I dont think we'd solve world hunger or get to mars any faster.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What if the retractable pisser somehow cures cancer??

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Nah, scientists ate like resources in an RTS. You assign them to science, then when that science is built you assign them to another one. It's just a matter of resource allocation that gave us poptarts instead of a pill that makes your dick sing like The Big Boppa.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:

Helicopter is a compound word made from the Greek words Helico and Pter.

Like helix and pterydactyl

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

spechtie posted:

Dunno about you folks, but I have to pee on weekdays too

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

I don't think you have to worry, America would never build something like this. We're perfectly happy to let you die from the fentanyl inflicted gunshot laying in the piss, because anybody who matters would never walk anywhere why would they notice either lol.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mauser posted:

Dunno about you folks, but I have to pee on weekdays too

Yeah but you're probably sober enough not to piss on the street if you can't find a restroom.

Many people walking around after dark on weekends are not.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I feel like the folks working on the retractable urinal are probably not the same guys working on curing cancer. Like if you pulled them off project pisser-b-gone I dont think we'd solve world hunger or get to mars any faster.

i don't think the poster concerned about fixing our actual societal problems is worried about 'getting to mars'

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Flint_Paper posted:

a pill that makes your dick sing like The Big Boppa.

Is there one that makes it stop?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah but you're probably sober enough not to piss on the street if you can't find a restroom.

Many people walking around after dark on weekends are not.

What if someone is sober on a weekend? Can they still use it??

Seriously, though... is there is a huge overhead cost to having it open all the time? It's already been built, it's a urinal so not a lot of moving parts to have to repair, no supplies to refill... why can't people piss in it any time they need to?

They could have built it more cheaply if they didn't make it retract... so I'm confused as to what problem this contraption is trying to solve vs having restrooms available all the time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tagra posted:

Seriously, though... is there is a huge overhead cost to having it open all the time? It's already been built, it's a urinal so not a lot of moving parts to have to repair, no supplies to refill... why can't people piss in it any time they need to?

They could have built it more cheaply if they didn't make it retract... so I'm confused as to what problem this contraption is trying to solve vs having restrooms available all the time.
Not positive but my cynical thought is that it's to prevent homeless people from using it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
We have them in the town I grew up in. They are great and have helped reduce drunks pissing in shop doorways.

Karate Bastard posted:

Dude it's just a urinal that comes out the ground when someone uses a key. It's really not very complicated or some engineering genius thats taking someone away from going to work at NASA.

Tagra posted:

During the day there public toilets in the various shopping centres. Those are closed during night.

We used to have public toilets but they used to stink of piss and have glass and needles everywhere, they were awful.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Mar 24, 2024

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

i don't think the poster concerned about fixing our actual societal problems is worried about 'getting to mars'

Dude I'm very much concerned with getting people to Mars. The type of person that wants to go to Mars? Send em. Good god send them, and keep sending them, and good riddance.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mega Comrade posted:

We have them in the town I grew up in. They are great and have helped reduce drunks pissing in shop doorways.

Dude it's just a urinal that comes out the ground when someone uses a key. It's really not very complicated or some engineering genius thats taking someone away from going to work at NASA.

If I built it it'd have hella springs and when you turn the key it sends you to Mars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ravenfood posted:

Not positive but my cynical thought is that it's to prevent homeless people from using it.

It's almost certainly this.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Tagra posted:

The overhead cost is the physical presence of an open urinal on the street that presumably smells like piss along with the visual of dudes getting their dicks out to use it.

Edit: I'm all for public toilets but if you're building something for everyone then it's going to take up a whole lot more real estate and require cubicles for those who need to sit down to piss. The pop-up-pisser is aimed at a very specific target audience.

Butterfly Valley has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Mar 24, 2024

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Feed billionaires to the piss tombs, shoot them to Mars

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

how long after the first one was built did it take for a guy to walk up and start washing his hands with the urinal puck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQthwyF2LqY

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

spechtie posted:

Aha, I've been wondering what these are for

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

spechtie posted:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Underground urinals that only appear when a % of the public is drunk is loving aces.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Underground urinals that only appear when a % of the public is drunk is loving aces.

Imagine falling asleep while pissing in one and it gets lowered into the ground

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's one way into Neverwhere

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nenonen posted:

Imagine falling asleep while pissing in one and it gets lowered into the ground

You have to join the Foot Clan and learn to skateboard and smoke cigarettes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Do bars or the places that these people got drunk at not have their own bathrooms? I can't say I've ever been out drinking at a place without one. It's probably law.

This is very strange to me. My city is only about 100,000 people but we've never had a public urination problem necessitating a (I'd imagine very expensive) retractable device that hides in the sidewalk 5 days a week. They need maintenance just like any other porta potty but with a higher skill level to fix. I've been in NYC and Chicago and other massive cities out drinking at night and I can't say I've seen people openly pissing on the streets.

Maybe it's a European thing.

It's just so :psyduck: to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes bars have bathrooms obviously. But you're done drinking or just moving going to a different palce, and need to pee out the beer so...

I've never seen anyone pissing just in the middle of a downtown street (might be just luck) but quiet residential areas or parks, sure.

https://i.imgur.com/CltYzCP.mp4