Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a merchant that sells gifts? I'd like to fuckboy my way through the lands and see what the dragon will make of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Does anyone know if 'Bunch of Flowers' can wilt? I hope not so I can stock up on them for when I find that special someone.

Yeah. I would love to have more Beetles so I was tempted to send my pawn into the Rift asking for them, but I don't want to do that to people who might not know any better, especially if they're goons.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Beat the game this morning, after gormlessly going forward when i probably should have went back to do sidequests, clear time was 24 hours, with a mild amount of sidequests and a ton of vocations untouched.

I think the claims you could beat it in like 15 hours hold true but you would be making a waste of your time, got a lot of things to seek out, lots of sidequests to do, and plenty of vocations to max.

Also, in regards to the best weapons the encampment on the southmost part of the map across the ocean has weapons that can absolutely carry you to the end of the game, if tou badly need a upgrade try making the trek, and bring at least 60000 gold, maybe more

Phlegmish posted:

Does anyone know if 'Bunch of Flowers' can wilt? I hope not so I can stock up on them for when I find that special someone.

Yes, they can

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I tried to grab a goblin while doing a full sprint and I ended up danger rolling and scooped him up in the process, it looked cool as hell. (And then I threw him off a cliff)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also I found a random fisherman hobo that spoiled all of Dragon's Dogma 1's big plot twists to me completely out of nowhere.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't, do not give them out as quest rewards or you could risk permanently losing that carry weight boost.

Oh dear, the most recent quest I assigned to my pawn was for the player to get a beetle, now I feel like a dick (unless it just means they get a beetle for themselves? In which case, I'm helping!)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I hired a pawn whose pawn quest was to receive a Golden Trove Beetle. I didn't give one out but I could imagine someone with a popular pawn might get some bites. I also imagine that minmaxing your carry weight isn't as important as some are making it out to be (especially the odd Beetle's worth, 0.15kg is like the weight of a single potion), and also that there is probably a limit to how many you can eat, so there may be more in the game than you can even use.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

-snip-

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Phlegmish posted:

they can, but your stash is refrigerated so just stuff em in there

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phlegmish posted:

Yes. Keep them in storage until you're ready to use them since storage preserves items indefinitely in whatever their current state is (ripened, rotten, wilted, etc.)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jack Trades posted:

Download the character creator "demo" and have them use that?

Are you asking me or does this work?

I did not preorder this game so I never used the character creator demo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh, so they don't wilt in storage? That's fine, I think I read that gifting something to someone can only raise their affinity once a day, anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Character Creator demo is free, you can download and use it still.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2674810/Dragons_Dogma_2_Character_Creator__Storage/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The demo is not part of a pre-order, you don't even need to have bought the game at all. Let me look up the link

e: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2674810/Dragons_Dogma_2_hahmojen_luonti_ja_tallennus/

Yeah the title is in Finnish for me for some insane reason

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I know the game has higher level enemies placed around, but is it fully unleveled/unscaled or does it scale lower level enemies up to your level?

Wondering if going back to do side quests later necessarily means you'll steam roll them.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

drat Dirty Ape posted:

As far as I know you can create as many characters as you like (there are overwritable save slots for 5x arisen and 5x pawns) and if you already have a game going on DD2 proper they will just stay in storage and not be transferred into the game, should be perfect for your kid who likes character creators!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

v1ld posted:

I know the game has higher level enemies placed around, but is it fully unleveled/unscaled or does it scale lower level enemies up to your level?

Wondering if going back to do side quests later necessarily means you'll steam roll them.

We don't know but the first game was completely unscaled afaik.

There's some sort of adaptive difficulty system going on in DD2 but we don't know what it is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The pawn item quest thing is kind of baffling to me. It's the only system that I can't see why you'd ever engage with it. It's like the slowest, least reliable trading system of all time and it seems like you should always just use the knowledge quests if you're even going to set one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

K8.0 posted:

The pawn item quest thing is kind of baffling to me. It's the only system that I can't see why you'd ever engage with it. It's like the slowest, least reliable trading system of all time and it seems like you should always just use the knowledge quests if you're even going to set one.

I think it there to give other players an incentive to teach your pawn stuff. I think it's pretty clever.

I've been almost exclusively picking up very low level pawns with the Wakestone Shard quests.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cheers on the character creator. Maybe I'll let her make my first pawn so she can see her in the game.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Jack Trades posted:

We don't know but the first game was completely unscaled afaik.

There's some sort of adaptive difficulty system going on in DD2 but we don't know what it is.

FightinCowboy said that everything seemed zone based then NG+ was a multiplier and that he steam rolled the start of NG+.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jack Trades posted:

Just camp before continuing?

I was at full health. Then I hosed up and the game took away 25% of my health as a gently caress you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I was at full health. Then I hosed up and the game took away 25% of my health as a gently caress you.

Then don't gently caress up, or use one of the anti-gently caress up items, or just go back and rest at a camp.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Everdraed posted:

to pass on some kindness,

if ya hit the inn ww should now be even better at murderin'

this is from a few pages back and I haven't even logged in yet today but I wanted to pre-emptively thank you for hiring wonder woman!

gonna hit up the goon spreadsheet for some pawns when I log in

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Nuebot posted:

You can also just use a Wakestone after you die and you'll get your full health back. I wouldn't waste them all the time but if you're deep in a cave and your health loss is terminal, it's an option.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My pawn gets so pissed when a pawn hire sits down on the job

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I finally found a pair of pants that's better than the Ranger's Lingerie. My pawn is now not showing any skin whatsoever, and also wearing a turban. It's an aesthetic, but I do feel like I will lose out on RC.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I found 3 dead NPCs in cave that I could rez via wake stone. It was very tempting.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Meet Hag. I found them in the rift. Now they're my friend

Found Hag out in the wild just now (They're high leveled so I can't rent them again :( )

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Those mage augments that increase heal gains or enchantment durations and whatever, do they increase heals and enchantments *they* cast or do those augments only buff their own personal gains from those spells

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Then don't gently caress up, or use one of the anti-gently caress up items, or just go back and rest at a camp.

Okay so we're in the phase of release where even the shittiest mechanics are to be defended like your life depends on it.

Volte posted:

You can also just use a Wakestone after you die and you'll get your full health back. I wouldn't waste them all the time but if you're deep in a cave and your health loss is terminal, it's an option.

I could, but that doesn't really address the issue of the mechanic being dumb in the first place.

Calidus posted:

I found 3 dead NPCs in cave that I could rez via wake stone. It was very tempting.

I'd do it. What if they had cool secrets to share.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

This is why I hold off on buying gear and why my pawn continues to wear no pants. In fact I bought my pawn some better daggers, then did the quest where you clear out saurians in a cave right after and found better daggers :sigh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah, Catherine, I loving KNOW.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
nah dude, you can't just say it's a bad mechanic and assume everyone's gonna follow you lockstep, you gotta convince people that you're not just mad you're getting your rear end kicked by the videogame

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Okay so we're in the phase of release where even the shittiest mechanics are to be defended like your life depends on it.

Or alternatively other people might have a different opinion that you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nuebot posted:

Game is about embracing mistakes and rolling with the punches. It’s a choice to make dying actually punishing and it’s honestly a cool handicap that teaches you to be better (because dying isn’t fun!). If this genuinely bothers you this much wait a week or so and there will be a mod to outright remove the penalty or let you heal your max health back outside of camp (I expect the latter to come first). REFramework has been updated for the game so I expect the modding scene to take off properly now.

Like this game punishes you in all sorts of ways. Quests will outright fail and go away if you take too long in one area, you can lock yourself out of content by focusing on other content. How you prioritize your time and explore / play the game is a big part of it.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 24, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm looking forward to all the mods that are going to come out for thing, since RE Engine is much easier to mod that whatever the hell DD1 was running on.

Hopefully by the time I finish the game they'll figure out some kind of stupid hard difficulty mod for masochists for my second playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Or alternatively other people might have a different opinion that you.

You didn't give a different opinion. You gave the lovely snarky "Git Gud" style remark every jackass has since dark souls came out. You took issue with my opinion, then gave me poo poo for it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Game is about embracing mistakes and rolling with the punches. It’s a choice to make dying actually punishing and it’s honestly a cool handicap that teaches you to be better (because dying isn’t fun!). If this genuinely bothers you this much wait a week or so and there will be a mod to outright remove the penalty or let you heal your max health back outside of camp (I expect the latter to come first). REFramework has been updated for the game so I expect the modding scene to take off properly now.

Like this game punishes you in all sorts of ways. Quests will outright fail and go away if you take too long in one area, you can lock yourself out of content by focusing on other content. How you prioritize your time and explore / play the game is a big part of it.

I played the first game, I'm used to quests failing and poo poo, hell I'm even fine with the health loss thing. I just don't like the health loss on restore because it can, potentially, lead to lovely situations like I was in last night where my game auto-saved after I left a cave and as I was heading back to town a cyclops showed up and killed me, when I reloaded I had barely enough health to take one hit from the thing, then I was in prime one hit kill territory. The only thing I could do was either load my last inn save or just not get hit.