Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Spiggy posted:

I agree that most characters are fun to use, but Aeris is just not clicking with me. I've found her decent for bosses when hitting weaknesses but otherwise she just seems boring and painfully slow to build ATB even when charging her square attack.

It took me awhile to figure out how to comfortably use her, but i eventually got there. Try a First Strike materia on her for extra wiggle room. She's a glass cannon turret that doesn't like to move, but can if she needs to. She reminds me of BLM in FF14: she builds a nice little area of power that really ratchets up her abilities, but she still moves out to dodge/block/get out of the fire/etc. Switch to her, use the Triangle ability to warp back to her Wards, and continue on.

I decimated Alexander with her. She needs support, so bring Red or use Cloud's support abilities to get her going, but once she's got her wards on the ground she becomes a machine of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Man finally rolled credits poo poo was amazing can’t wait for 3!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does the ultimate middle manager quest being bugged mean I can't max my party level?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

These double summon fights are…not fun…

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NieR Occomata posted:

These double summon fights are…not fun…

I haven’t gotten there yet but I read that you can use items. You can’t use items at all in hard mode, and the hardest fights are usually in the combat simulator which also allows no items so might as well use those elixirs finally

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017

Books On Tape posted:

It follows you through dodges and does about 200 damage per second for a few seconds then it’s final hit killed me each time.

I lost two or three times to that boss (it's tough imo) and was never able to consistently dodge the laser move. What helped me most was getting Radiant and Arcane wards down in two different places, using the first to build atb and the second to spend it. And don't control Aerith most of the time because if the boss comes for her she'll get messed up very quickly & wards will be covered in fire. Red wasn't helpful for me but Cloud is easily able to get in the air and harass the boss.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven’t gotten there yet but I read that you can use items. You can’t use items at all in hard mode, and the hardest fights are usually in the combat simulator which also allows no items so might as well use those elixirs finally

That’s true, if Odin weren’t the single most annoying loving fight in the game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

I love this game so much, it might be one of my all time best games, but loving hell the chocobo stealth mini games are the worst.
It's game design based solely around trying to bore you to tears and then punish you for being impatient. Slow puzzle stealth has never been fun unless it gives you tools to manipulate the situation (ie: mgs). Any kind of 'puzzle' gameplay where the solution is easy but it takes 10 minutes to implement drives me up the loving wall.

They're really bad, yeah. It's not very intuitive exactly what range of sight the chocobos have. And the Nibelheim one decides to shake things up in a way that is also just annoying and requires you to figure out the exact range/timing of the throws through trial and error.

The frequent checkpoints make me think they even realized it's dumb.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rolled credits. Interesting time, now to jump into the spoiler thread. Might tackle Hard Mode and remaining stuff in-between bouts of Dragon's Dogma.

I know dev teams don't work that way but I stand by my opinion that if they cut like 20-30% of the open world stuff and gave it to FF16, both games would have been improved.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
BOOOOOO using an x-potion on Gi Natak doesn't one shot it BOOOOOO BAD GAME

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Books On Tape posted:

That’s the crux of it. It’s like the developers got such a hard on playing Elden ring, and had to ruin such a great series by trying to emulate it.

This is very, very silly. There's absolutely no similarity between Rebirth and Elden Ring beyond 'some monsters have big attacks you have to deal with' which has been a thing in Final Fantasy since forever.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm irrationally mad that they let you pilot the tiny bronco for a split second but they won't let you crash it into the ocean

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm irrationally mad that they let you pilot the tiny bronco for a split second but they won't let you crash it into the ocean

Withhold judgment until you’ve completed the game, please.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm not sure why they even bother letting you sorta-kinda control the bronco
I think there's an achievement tied to flying through a ring at Cosmo Canyon but, a single achievement doesn't really justify the entire thing

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

almost done with ch4.

i'm bad at steering, crashed the dolphin into about every post and still made the jump.

Went back and cleared the map objectives for Green Hills and Junon, doesn't feel as overwhelming as before. Like there's actually a ton of fog in the area that isn't actually part of the map. Still think they could have cut the stuff to 80% or so what it is for the right balance. Like the 3 for making the summon battles easier could be cut. Does every map keep the pattern of like 5 sidequests each. I do like those.
The MAI banter is great.

Also am I confusing the two mini-games. Fort Condor here was kind of annoying.
Which mini-game in OG FF7 was the one that was a turret defense style map.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Which mini-game in OG FF7 was the one that was a turret defense style map.

that was fort condor

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

ok, the one here is a massive downgrade then

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I liked it better than gears and gambits but maybe I just didn't understand how that one worked

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

ok, the one here is a massive downgrade then

It is almost identical

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What the gently caress is the status that King Tonberry (or was it Joker?) puts on people that apparently makes them unrevivable? I don't remember him doing that in any other time I've fought him. Can it be removed? Why isn't it documented?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

With Gears and Gambits I just used one of Chadley's recommended settings for each battle and it worked out pretty much fine, but I haven't tried any of the hard mode ones

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fort Condor was better in Intergrade when you were able to customize your load out more.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Harrow posted:

With Gears and Gambits I just used one of Chadley's recommended settings for each battle and it worked out pretty much fine, but I haven't tried any of the hard mode ones

yeah i did auto settings and also lowered difficulty just to knock the four out. at the point in which the game introduces gears and gambits i absolutely could not be hosed to expend any effort on yet another new minigame

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

ImpAtom posted:

It is almost identical

Almost identical to Intergrade, FF7 original fort condor was very different.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This like extra stuff with the Gi that happens after you're done with the Gi Cave seems like a strange addition? The pacing felt like it stopped dead all of a sudden to go do this and the Zack stuff with Biggs. I don't remember the Gi having much significance in the OG after Cosmo Canyon, was there underlying stuff there I just don't remember? It kind of feels unnecessary

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Macaluso posted:

This like extra stuff with the Gi that happens after you're done with the Gi Cave seems like a strange addition? The pacing felt like it stopped dead all of a sudden to go do this and the Zack stuff with Biggs. I don't remember the Gi having much significance in the OG after Cosmo Canyon, was there underlying stuff there I just don't remember? It kind of feels unnecessary

the pacing overall is just super off in the game to me, and i realize that's my fault for doing side stuff but drat. i feel like if you introduce side stuff a large number of gamers are going to do the "clear area, move on" thing and that ends up making the game feel like the plot isn't doing anything, lol. i continually can't remember what my party is even trying to achieve because it's been so long since i did a story mission. the ideal way to play the game is probably story rush and then do all the side stuff post-game but then you might end up sorta gimped. i dunno what the fix is but i hate the pacing overall.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The problem with Fort Condor in Rebirth is that every time I lose, I lose to the timer running out and not to actually being defeated which feels lovely.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Rhonne posted:

Fort Condor was better in Intergrade when you were able to customize your load out more.

Also you can win on time out so long as you had more towers standing, so worst case scenario you could blitz down one tower at the start of the match then stall.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ImpAtom posted:

It is almost identical

I mean, the rules are almost identical, but in Intergrade you were playing against opponents more-or-less equal to you, and in Rebirth you're racing to win in the face of the AI's ridiculous bullshit, which changes things quite a bit.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The hosed up thing about Gears and Gambits is that the winning strategy, even on hard mode, is to just build a super-aggressive robot of each element and match the weakness of whatever spawns in each lane. No point in bothering with heals or buffs or any of the dozens of options you have, just equip with all elemental attacks and a way to hit fliers and you're done.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dang, Head Case sure is a combat challenge.

The gimmick is pretty easy, but boy the quirks of the party AI and lock-on system sure do shine through in that fight :v:

Did it on Dynamic after a handful of tries. Kept getting the Mindflayer to ~1% and not closing due to Sleep getting resisted by the little dudes after 3 casts. Finally ended it with a 9999 Infinity's End :black101:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This is me being nitpicky about certain changes but I'm not a huge fan of the gang immediately, upon getting to the gates of Nibelheim right there on the spot, figuring out that everything is brand new and Shinra rebuilt the town. I much more preferred the slower burn of getting to the town and the initial confusion about why it looks exactly like it used to, and then you learn about the rebuilding through notes you find in one of the buildings. Nitpicky as well, I also kind of feel like this is one of those instances where they put too many people in the town, where Nibelheim should not feel this crowded

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I mean, half those people are black robes that just kind of wandered in.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rosalind posted:

The problem with Fort Condor in Rebirth is that every time I lose, I lose to the timer running out and not to actually being defeated which feels lovely.

The clock is tuned super tightly unless the game is set to easy difficulty, and yeah it sucks a lot to have the enemy base at 2% hp only for the timer to run out yet again. And due to the way unit placement works, simply following a guide isn't a guarantee either since a few fractions of a second or a few inches off from what the guide did can produce different results.

Basically I dislike Ft Condor in Rebirth because it's too tightly tuned for a game that plays so loosely with how you interact with it.

Gears and Gambits works better for that sort of game IMO, but by the time it came up I was also kind of done with playing yet another mini game eight times.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
https://imgur.com/a/n2tXbHq

Come on. Come the gently caress on. I always suspected these guys and others of cheating but I didn't think it would be that bad.

(why imgur marks this as adult i'm not sure)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fedule posted:

https://imgur.com/a/n2tXbHq

Come on. Come the gently caress on. I always suspected these guys and others of cheating but I didn't think it would be that bad.

(why imgur marks this as adult i'm not sure)

Skill issue imo

(that's hilarious)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s an option to turn off MAI guidance for fights you’ve already beaten, I wish that had been on by default lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Almost identical to Intergrade, FF7 original fort condor was very different.

Literally the same tactics work between original and Intergrade. It really isn't different. You just rush the line and drop a bunch of poo poo. Rebirth makes it *slightly* harder to do in that you might actually engage with the mechanics but it still rewards rush strats for like everything but Greg.

Like honestly if anything FC is *too* much like the FF7 version in that it has the same basic design flaws

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 24, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Literally the same tactics work between original and Intergrade. It really isn't different. You just rush the line and drop a bunch of poo poo. Rebirth makes it *slightly* harder to do in that you might actually engage with the mechanics but it still rewards rush strats for like everything but Greg.

Like honestly if anything FC is *too* much like the FF7 version in that it has the same basic design flaws

The biggest difference is no timeout victory which is kind of bullshit in its own way imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's ok friends, fort condor was bad in all versions of ff7