Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

lol apparently the lady with the light whip is the show creators wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I sleep in a big bed with my light whip

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

That DICK! posted:

lol apparently the lady with the light whip is the show creators wife

of course. would you expect anything less?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
seems like a real good idea to have your series open with people cheering on while a teacher gets beaten to death

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

seems like a real good idea to have your series open with people cheering on while a teacher gets beaten to death

Is that 3 body problem?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

priznat posted:

Is that 3 body problem?

yeah

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

what's the implication supposed to be here

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

LazyMaybe posted:

what's the implication supposed to be here

i dunno, seems like a real edgy way to start a show is all

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I assume it's the Cultural Revolution?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Well, that's how the book starts. In fact, it was a change from the original text. The author originally put the scenes in the middle of the book, in hopes that chinese censors wouldn't notice. When the english translation came out, they returned the scenes to the beginning of the book, with the original authors blessing since that was original intent.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sometimes media deals with dark things, idk what to tell you on this one. show's been quite good so far

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

originally yoda was beaten to death with sticks during the cultural revolution at the beginning of star wars

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why are tv show themes so poo poo nowadays, they arent memorable any more

e: the shogun theme, 3 body problem theme and westworld theme are all the same to me

Regular Wario fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 24, 2024

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

e: the shogun theme, 3 body problem theme and westworld theme are all the same to me
remember when they used to all sound like despair and mud growling over an angry banjo lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

wait until you hear about the rest of the plot!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hackers film 1995 posted:

yesterday i was talking to someone about beetlejuice and then it became about how much we love michael keaton and then i just rewatched birdman for the 50th time. jesus i love that movie. this may be one of my favorite scenes in any film ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoj1SKkvj8E

such believable emotion from keaton only to psych everyone out lol. so good

I couldn't sleep so I rewatched it, at 3 am on a sunday

I loved it when I first watched it, and I suppose it's impossible for me to say I dislike a movie I've seen 5+ times since, but it leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. it feels too self-indulgent now. it relishes making GBS threads on critics to an embarrassing degree. most of the female characters are one dimensional caricatures (and the scene with watts's accepting riseborough's advance right after being assaulted is utterly tone-deaf). a lot of dialogue, apparently in tribute to raymond carver, lands as expository and un-real. I get it's supposed to be a film presented like a stage play; I hate the artificiality of stage performance so good job there I guess. also, there are no poc actors in the cast except for the silent jazz percussionist, which is extremely odd for a film about broadway in the mid 2010s.

what I like of the film is carried on keaton's shoulders. the camera lingers on and follows other characters briefly, but nothing is as interesting as when he's on screen. what I really resonated with on my first viewing was how he reacts to stress, the whole anger management angle, his delusions of telekinesis and flight representing lack of control in his life, his relationship with his daughter and his need to create something real. keaton makes you believe his character and trust the words coming out of his mouth. maybe it's just because we don't get a lot of time with them comparatively, but I find the rest of the cast to be merely adequate.

again I can't say I hate it. it's like a little brother who keeps loving up. like, I do love you bud, but maybe you could stand to stop gazing at your navel so much

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cubone posted:

remember when they used to all sound like despair and mud growling over an angry banjo lol

hey the true detective season 1 theme still slaps!!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Me, watching Schindler's list:

I dunno, setting your movie in a concentration camp seems pretty edgy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watch better shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82HM0z6qd20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The teacher getting beat to death like a lot of things in the book was very goofy. The only good thing about Three Body Problem (why the 3?) are the weirder/"bigger" ideas - and even those are done goofily a lot of the time - so there is a part of me curious how they've adapted it. The characters are paper thin it could've been published in Astonishing Stories 80 years ago.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I read the 3 body books a long time ago. As a general scifi novel fan, thought the series was okay, the last book was bat poo poo insane, but didn't belong in the first series as the first 2 books. I haven't watched any of the adoptions.

However, I am glad to see its getting more discussions in other threads I go to, and getting people who usually don't watch scifi to watch this show. There is something about these books that have different sensibilities than the lot of western scifi books. I don't know how much of the sensibilities come across in the D&D version. But I heard the Chinese version is getting a much shorter director's cut, maybe I will give it a shot.

Also Kojima made a long post to recommend the Chinese version, so there is that.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
So I watched Bladerunner 2049. Way better than a Bladerunner sequel has any right to be.

I streamed it on Hulu and the visuals, while great, were weird. There was tons of blocky color banding, like something I’d expect from an old school 700 meg Pirate Bay rip. Aesthetically it fit with the dystopian vibe, but I couldn’t tell if it was on purpose or if it was just a lovely digital transfer. I know 4k streaming is compressed, but I don’t normally see anything like that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
must have been something about the compression, i don't remember anything like that

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mysterious frankie posted:

So I watched Bladerunner 2049. Way better than a Bladerunner sequel has any right to be.

I streamed it on Hulu and the visuals, while great, were weird. There was tons of blocky color banding, like something I’d expect from an old school 700 meg Pirate Bay rip. Aesthetically it fit with the dystopian vibe, but I couldn’t tell if it was on purpose or if it was just a lovely digital transfer. I know 4k streaming is compressed, but I don’t normally see anything like that.
Do you have a 4K UHD player? Xbox or PS5? Because Blade Runner 2049 is without a doubt one of the best looking UHD discs I own.

Seriously, Roger Deakins' cinematography on that movie is god tier and watching a poor quality stream of it should be a crime

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm still bummed I skipped it when it was in theatres because I read an article that the movie confirms Ridley Scott's extremely stupid idea that Deckard was a replicant.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Mozi posted:

must have been something about the compression, i don't remember anything like that

Rageaholic posted:

Do you have a 4K UHD player? Xbox or PS5? Because Blade Runner 2049 is without a doubt one of the best looking UHD discs I own.

Seriously, Roger Deakins' cinematography on that movie is god tier and watching a poor quality stream of it should be a crime

If I ever encounter a cheap 4k disc in the wild I’ll pick it up!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone who comes away from the movie thinking it confirms that stupid idea is an idiot who missed the part where Harrison Ford looked at the camera and said "go gently caress yourselves, nerds".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
humans can what replicant's :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Arc Hammer posted:

Anyone who comes away from the movie thinking it confirms that stupid idea is an idiot who missed the part where Harrison Ford looked at the camera and said "go gently caress yourselves, nerds".

To be fair he does that in every movie. Hell he'll go to other sets of movies he's not in and do that.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm still bummed I skipped it when it was in theatres because I read an article that the movie confirms Ridley Scott's extremely stupid idea that Deckard was a replicant.

I guess the second movie’s plot does lend more credence to the idea that Deckard is a replicant, but I don’t recall it being outright stated. Even Harrison Ford now says Deckard’s a replicant, but I still cling to the ambiguity because it better serves dystopian knot of the setting, where mankind has created an awful world-ruining system that dehumanizes its participants to such an extreme degree that they’ve completely lost touch with their identity, and in order to prop up that unsustainable system we engineered a slave race that expresses all the hopes, dreams and normal human impulses we systematically beat out of ourselves.

I mean it’s still a well realized dystopia with Deckard as a confirmed replicant, but it’s less clever.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Even Harrison Ford now says Deckard’s a replicant,

lol who cares?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There is zero meaningful difference between a replicant and a human. Anyone trying to determine Decker's personal info after the movie is a nosy bigot who should mind their own fuckin business.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Khanstant posted:

There is zero meaningful difference between a replicant and a human. Anyone trying to determine Decker's personal info after the movie is a nosy bigot who should mind their own fuckin business.

:hmmyes:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

lol who cares?

You’re telling me you’ve figured out a way to still drag your carcass out of bed every morning while lacking respect for the words that come out of Harrison Ford’s mouth during press events? I mean… why? Why even keep going if Harrison Ford’s take on stuff doesn’t… mean… anything?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It doesn't. It asks the question and deliberately doesn't answer it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The teacher getting beat to death like a lot of things in the book was very goofy. The only good thing about Three Body Problem (why the 3?)

1. What was goofy about it? That was the reality of the time.
2. It refers to a physics problem and more explicitly the alien homeworld

Cacator fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 24, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cacator posted:

If people keep asking if somebody is a replicant, eventually you're gonna start assuming the guy's gotta be a replicant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cacator posted:

1. What was goofy about it? That was the reality of the time.
2. It refers to a physics problem and more explicitly the alien homeworld

I know. I've seen the film.

The goofiness was the physics argument not that the Cultural Revolution happened. And they made the Netfllix title 3 Body Problem. The book title is Three Body Problem in English.

Even Harrison Ford now says Deckard’s a replicant

I sure hope not because it's stupid as hell.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The replicant was inside you all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I sure hope not because it's stupid as hell.

He did, and it is stupid. It’s near the end of this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiRKj4uetLQ