Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Isn’t it fun when a project goes from “hey buddy come help me knock this out real quick” to “how about you go find Mom and play with her? Daddy is about to use some words you don’t need to know yet because water is not supposed to be here.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's making homeowner's insurance so hard to get now? Is this a CA-specific wildfire thing?

The world is dying

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Trying to hedge against this

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's making homeowner's insurance so hard to get now? Is this a CA-specific wildfire thing?

CA state law limits how much insurance rates can go up per year

With 10%+ inflation since covid a lot of home owners are effectively paying below market rate for home insurance

Labor rates in America, and in California in particular, are rising way faster than state law would allow them to raise insurance rates, so they're doing a passive aggressive brinksmanship thing to force legislator's hand. Legislators are hesitant to look like they're giving insurance companies so they're not increasing the annual cap. As a result a lot of people who are insurance companies least profitable customers are getting dropped to maintain correct profit margins

Between Florida and California it sure looks like private insurance companies aren't going to be around in those states much longer, imo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I see, thanks for the explanation. On the one hand, I can definitely understand wanting to control the amount of profit that insurance companies can skim off of the economy...on the other hand, there's no sense telling them that they have to insure at a loss.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

no sense telling them that they have to insure at a loss.

Ok yeah that was never gonna be the case.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I see, thanks for the explanation. On the one hand, I can definitely understand wanting to control the amount of profit that insurance companies can skim off of the economy...on the other hand, there's no sense telling them that they have to insure at a loss.

That second one hasn't happened, fwiw

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Hadlock posted:

CA state law limits how much insurance rates can go up per year

With 10%+ inflation since covid a lot of home owners are effectively paying below market rate for home insurance

Labor rates in America, and in California in particular, are rising way faster than state law would allow them to raise insurance rates, so they're doing a passive aggressive brinksmanship thing to force legislator's hand. Legislators are hesitant to look like they're giving insurance companies so they're not increasing the annual cap. As a result a lot of people who are insurance companies least profitable customers are getting dropped to maintain correct profit margins

Between Florida and California it sure looks like private insurance companies aren't going to be around in those states much longer, imo

It's not only a rate increase cap. In CA insurers are generally forbidden to use forward looking models to price wildfire coverage, so in the event that, say, wildfires are becoming more common due to the climate changing, they aren't able to take that into account.

Because so many insurers have left, there is ongoing discussion to allow insurers in CA to use catastrophe modeling the same way everyone else does.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When the models are wrong, either the insurance company pockets extra profit or gets bailed out.

Maybe the real answer is to have a public insurance option

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As an insurance adjuster who has worked for various iterations of the state of New Jersey's efforts to run an assigned-risk pool:

The only way that could ever work is if some competent managing authority with many decades of experience operating a property and casualty insurer AHHAHAAAHA

I'm fine.

Timmy, have you ever seen movies about how industries are run? like Office Space, Head Office, and Idiocracy?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 24, 2024

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Sounds like it's one of the many noises made by the thing I've had to replace multiple times on my LG dryer: "Drum Support Bearings". I bought some off of amazon that didn't make it even a year, then did the job again with actual LG replacement parts at twice the price and it's been good for a couple years now.

Bingo!

This one was completely seized, and a second was pretty difficult to turn and developing a flat spot. Replaced the idler arm and belt while I was at it, and vacuumed about 10 pounds of lint and dust out of the chassis. Whisper quiet now. Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ROJO posted:

Bingo!

This one was completely seized, and a second was pretty difficult to turn and developing a flat spot. Replaced the idler arm and belt while I was at it, and vacuumed about 10 pounds of lint and dust out of the chassis. Whisper quiet now. Thanks!

A success story!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We put blinds on the door today. The builder thought it would be a good idea to have an eight foot tall door with large glass panes so everyone can see inside as they walk by.

Also found out they reversed the inlet water hoses on the washer. There's no indication on which water line is which, seems like a dumb idea

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ROJO posted:

Bingo!

Yay!

I love happy endings

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hotel Kpro posted:

We put blinds on the door today. The builder thought it would be a good idea to have an eight foot tall door with large glass panes so everyone can see inside as they walk by.

I dont see the problem, that sounds nice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

esquilax posted:

It's not only a rate increase cap. In CA insurers are generally forbidden to use forward looking models to price wildfire coverage, l

I've been shouted down about this, and I'm happy (?) to be wrong, but California inadvertently did a pretty good job of burning up the largest contiguous chunks of state/national Forest. I think we still have 1-2 more Really Bad years but if you look at the 30 year "raging, out of control forest fire" maps, we're very nearly out of 150+ acre contiguous areas that haven't had a forest fire :mildpanic:

I'm cautiously optimistic that we've burnt up 45% of the last 75+ years worth of pine needles, and modern forest husbandry is allowing bigger and larger controlled burns going forward, so,

Also I'm drunk on 2 years of above average rainfall immediately following a media blitz about the "mega drought" so I'm probably doubly wrong

TL;DR skip this post

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’d be great if the time needed to properly prep for satisfying tasks like caulking or rolling paint was the same as the time needed to actually perform the tasks. Spent ages scraping stubborn old caulk bits in an area that’ll take seconds to cover with a new bead.

With our shower out of commission, we discovered our guest bathroom shower head needs a refresh. Are there any particular brands/models to go for or is it just a lowesdepot thing?

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Democratic Pirate posted:

It’d be great if the time needed to properly prep for satisfying tasks like caulking or rolling paint was the same as the time needed to actually perform the tasks. Spent ages scraping stubborn old caulk bits in an area that’ll take seconds to cover with a new bead.

With our shower out of commission, we discovered our guest bathroom shower head needs a refresh. Are there any particular brands/models to go for or is it just a lowesdepot thing?

This thing is the best shower head I've ever used and it just doesn't wear out. There is basically nothing TO wear out it's just a big chunk of metal. They make a "half dome" version that is a bit less industrial looking but same design.

Stupid overpriced for what it is but you will literally never buy a showerhead again

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

How's the best way to get caulk out from the bottom edge of siding?

Gary spotted water at the bottom of a sill plate in the carport storage and proceeded to seal the bottom edge of the siding with an obscene amount of caulk. When that failed to stop the problem he found the actual source of the majority of the water up at the top and half-assed a seal on it, BUT with the first caulking job he had completely sealed off the way out for water which gets behind the siding or goes along the edge flashing.

Thankfully the space isn't finished on the inside so it has been able to dry out from behind when it gets wet. The sill plate is CCA pressure treated and still looks fine but the lower 4-5" of the chipboard outer sheathing is hosed. I'm hoping that clearing out the caulk will give the water a place to go and slow down the damage.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What kind of siding? Vinyl? Aluminum? Steel? Wood?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hotel Kpro posted:

Also found out they reversed the inlet water hoses on the washer. There's no indication on which water line is which, seems like a dumb idea

My washer supply lines were color coded, but the opposite (left red was actually cold). We didn’t discover it until I pulled the units to access something after a load and said “why is this cold line ripping hot”. Then “oh that would explain why every load looks like I turned on the steam cycle after I open it up”.
Classic.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

mine came that way, presumably the PO had just been using it that way

double lol that the guy swore up and down that the washer dryer didn't convey with the house, and there they were when i got there

turns out they're hard to move, huh pal? Anyway that was 4 years ago and i'm gonna get nice front loaders when one dies

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PainterofCrap posted:

What kind of siding? Vinyl? Aluminum? Steel? Wood?

Vinyl, so I can't get aggressive with solvents.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
I'm in So Cal living in a high fire risk area in Chino Hills. No insurance company will cover us without using CA Fair Plan for fire except State Farm.

We've owned this house two years and insurance has gone from 3200 to 3300 to 4000 per year with State Farm. I doubt they would give us a new policy so we're kinda grandfathered in.

Were staying with state farm at 4k per year because they aren't requiring us to go with CA Fair Plan as well.

Any insurance company who wants us to use CA Fair Plan wants 6k+ per year.

State Farm just raised our rates 20% this year instead of canceling us. I expect to be not renewed with State Farm for 2025.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

oh rly posted:

I'm in So Cal living in a high fire risk area in Chino Hills. No insurance company will cover us without using CA Fair Plan for fire except State Farm.

We've owned this house two years and insurance has gone from 3200 to 3300 to 4000 per year with State Farm. I doubt they would give us a new policy so we're kinda grandfathered in.

Were staying with state farm at 4k per year because they aren't requiring us to go with CA Fair Plan as well.

Any insurance company who wants us to use CA Fair Plan wants 6k+ per year.

State Farm just raised our rates 20% this year instead of canceling us. I expect to be not renewed with State Farm for 2025.

I am with State Farm and my dad is with State Farm (has been for 30+ years) and we both expect to not be renewed soon. He’s up in Paso Robles in a high fire area as well.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Had the house power washed yesterday, looks great. Now the garage/outdoor outlet circuit keeps tripping the GFCI. Annoying, not sure if related. Seems to still be doing it after unplugging everything from all the outlets on the circuit. Glad I at least noticed before the garage fridge totally warmed up.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tyro posted:

Had the house power washed yesterday, looks great. Now the garage/outdoor outlet circuit keeps tripping the GFCI. Annoying, not sure if related. Seems to still be doing it after unplugging everything from all the outlets on the circuit. Glad I at least noticed before the garage fridge totally warmed up.

Sounds like water got in somewhere and is causing a short.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

Sounds like water got in somewhere and is causing a short.

Yeah that was my guess too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ROJO posted:

Nice, glad you got it in one. That looks like a couple of the ones I took out of my dryer the first time around. I was better at identifying the issue after the first replacement because I realized how easy the drum should be to spin when empty. I noticed it wasn't anymore after several months with the cheap amazon parts and replaced them before they were so flat spotted, but one of them was just about locked up. I assume the cheap ones just do'nt have sealed bearings and the lint immediately destroys them? Or something....

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Tyro posted:

Yeah that was my guess too.

All seems to be good a few hours later, guess the water got out of wherever it was.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So you may remember me posting my first time practice wall and mentioning I was going to move on to another painting job that would be in many ways more difficult.

I slightly underestimated how much so. I was hoping to have finished pictures to share tonight and I've only just finished the first coat of primer.
Things I have learned:
- Doing a full room is more than four times harder than doing one wall for reasons that I'm sure are obvious to everyone but me.
- Having additional help is a bit less helpful when it comes in the form of a 9 year old whose bedroom it is and who is commited to fully participate in the painting.
- Not all wallpaper is created equal. I think getting all the wallpaper off each of his walls took maybe four times longer than the wall in my room, and I still found a few pieces I had somehow missed while painting.
- Cats should be kept out of a freshly painted room.

How hard is it to get paint off hardwood floors, btw?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GlyphGryph posted:

How hard is it to get paint off hardwood floors, btw?
Well, not as hard as getting it off the cat.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Well, not as hard as getting it off the cat.

So use cats to strip the floors. Gotcha.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
It's far easier to mask the floors off properly than remove paint after. That said paint is gonna come up way easier than primer. If it's still wet clean it up now. Otherwise scrape with something softer than the floor, ideally

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Goof Off was what my hardwood floor refinisher guy told me to use and it appears they now make a special formula for just this use case.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Speaking of painting, would you all tile first or paint first?

I've got to redo some significant chunks of my bathrooms due to a plumbing issue. I'm not touching the existing tile and floors, but I'm having to replace a lot of dry wall and trim, which means painting.

I'm taking the opportunity to fix a PO fuckup, namely that they put standard wooden floor trim along the walls in the bathrooms. Some of it rotted from getting wet (bathroom and all) and it caused other problems. So all that's getting ripped out and I'm putting a single row of tile around the bottom of the walls to be a more water resistant trim (yes I know it won't be water proof, this needs to resist incidental bullshit bathroom water long enough to evaporate without just wicking into the wall to rot. It doesn't need to survive getting soaked for hours).

On the one hand, it would be a lot easier to paint if I didn't have to worry about that trim tile. On the other hand, I could see myself loving up my new paint job sticking the tile on. I can mask the tile and it's easy enough to scrape paint off tile, but that's annoying.

So, WSY BFC home goons? Paint first then put the tile trim up, or tile then paint?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paint first. Easier to touch up paint after the fact, than clean paint off tile and grout imho.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Definitely paint first. Touching up paint is much easier and lower risk than doing a full paint job, and if you mess it up a bit and have fix it that seems a lot better than having to fix the tiles.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

m0therfux0r posted:

I have a weirdly specific toilet cleaning question:

So, this is probably TMI, but whatever- back in January I started Jardiance for my type 2 diabetes, which makes you pee out *a lot* more sugar. Even though I'm not a "let it mellow" guy and flush every time, this appears to have jump-started some kind of bacteria/microbe/biofilm/whatever growth. Every other flush or so results in a tiny piece of some kind of bacterial gunk floating to the top of the toilet bowl (tiny enough that the first time I thought it was just a dead gnat or something). The toilet flushes fine- it's definitely just an aesthetic annoyance at this point, but I want to get rid of it.

After observing where the stuff was floating up from, I determined it was coming from the bottom siphon jet (the hole opposite the side where the water is actually being flushed down). This isn't really a spot you can reach with a normal toilet brush/toilet bowl cleaner, so normal routine cleanings were doing nothing. I bought a long bottle brush and stuck it up the siphon jet hole to see if I could clean it out- this resulting in me pulling out *a lot* of the gunk- that's definitely where it's coming from. However, it seems impossible to get all of it with a brush- it's still floating up after flushing.

The issue is that the hole I can put the brush into is basically a bottleneck for a much larger area (cavity? chamber? dunno what the right term would be) that the water flows through- there's no way I can get a brush in there that's small enough to fit through the hole, but large enough that it can actually scrape the sides of the entire siphon jet chamber. Everything I can find online suggests pouring something down the path to that second siphon jet through the toilet tank (I have one that has two flappers- I'd just be putting it into the one that leads directly to the jet), but the issue I'm anticipating is that it won't completely fill the chamber since it will just run through the toilet and straight out of the siphon jet (unless I can figure out a way to block the jet oulet?).

So, one idea I just had was pouring some of that foaming pipe snake stuff down there- however, I want to make sure that won't destroy anything before I do it. I know I don't want that poo poo to touch any of the flappers or gaskets, but is the inside of the toilet okay? Is there a better way? This is annoying the hell out of me. And I feel like calling a plumber is overkill for this.

So, as everyone suggested, I did end up putting a Clorox puck in the tank. It's definitely working as far as making whatever is floating up significantly less visible (though I must admit I really hate the chlorine smell). It's been in there for a little over a week. However, I noticed that stuff is still floating up- it's really hard to see unless you're looking for it, but it's there- it's just bleached now so it's really difficult to see. Does that mean it's actually killing whatever's in there or that it's just a different color now? The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to leave a bleach puck in there all the time- I know it's bad for the toilet components, and I hate how I get blasted with "old pool" smell every time I start peeing. So if that means it's not "killing" it, I'd rather move onto something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd hazard a guess that there's a substantial amount of residue in the toilet innards, and since you can't get in there to scrub it, it's just slowly working its way free from the movement of water. The bleach has probably killed it all at this point though.