Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
all the cold water is probably just chillin below the warm stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Zkoto posted:

so what’s the play when the US is out of its oil? I’m guessing the people at large are not gonna take it lying down, who’s getting a coupe?

the only coupe anyone's getting is the kind of car & at 69% APR.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i just live my life BAU because idk when or how quickly things will collapse or if it will even be in my lifetime

that said i do think we’ve already locked in for the end game so im real glad we never wanted or had kids

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Microplastics posted:

I didn't know this was called "cargoism". Kinda sad it's not a more fun term.

Cargoism?

No, car go road

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ignore_Me posted:

“No buddy, I’m not running around like chicken little prophesizing to you the exact date that the sky will fall. You aren’t getting my emotionally driven hysterical response. You are receiving an opinion on the matter which is a RESULT of the amount of time I have spent reflecting upon the available information and its implications. It is you who is responding emotionally in your unflinching denial to even briefly consider that what I’m saying might be a rational conclusion”.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hubbert posted:

the collapse discourse strikes me as rebadged accelerationism driven by people frustrated by lack of political progress. i think the most extreme example so far was the poster who was calling the end of industrial civilization within the next decade

venus by tuesday, idiot

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Remembering the paper about ice cores in Greenland showing double digit degree changes in under a decade.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Does anyone have any good reason to doubt the imminence (within decades roughly) collapse of civilization as we know it? All I've ever seen anywhere is braindead smarmy posturing contrarianism

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

4d3d3d posted:

Does anyone have any good reason to doubt the imminence (within decades roughly) collapse of civilization as we know it? All I've ever seen anywhere is braindead smarmy posturing contrarianism

https://youtu.be/V7GP3l5znc8?si=Gr0iwEsUTZwV4Zr9

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

4d3d3d posted:

only that capitalist society has seemed to be at breaking point for well over a decade now and every time something happens like COVID or the BLM protests that could be a real It’s Happening moment things somehow find an even more hosed new normal and just keep on trucking.

The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent except it’s all of society embracing an ascending Shepard tone of insanity. If “collapse of civilisation” means you don’t have to go to your job then no, you’ll be stepping over bodies in the street and fighting people for bread before that happens.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

TACD posted:

only that capitalist society has seemed to be at breaking point for well over a decade now and every time something happens like COVID or the BLM protests that could be a real It’s Happening moment things somehow find an even more hosed new normal and just keep on trucking.

The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent except it’s all of society embracing an ascending Shepard tone of insanity. If “collapse of civilisation” means you don’t have to go to your job then no, you’ll be stepping over bodies in the street and fighting people for bread before that happens.

Sure, I mean I'd argue we've already collapsed and are firmly in the "running on fumes/inertia" stage and it's hard to define exactly what the cutoff point is (there probably isn't one defining limit, maybe the collapse of governments worldwide?). We can't say mass starvation or widespread, preventable environmental/pollution death because that's already happening

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

4d3d3d posted:

Sure, I mean I'd argue we've already collapsed and are firmly in the "running on fumes/inertia" stage and it's hard to define exactly what the cutoff point is (there probably isn't one defining limit, maybe the collapse of governments worldwide?). We can't say mass starvation or widespread, preventable environmental/pollution death because that's already happening

Covid alone averaged 1500 official deaths a week in 2023, which is “post-pandemic.” unofficially it’s likely killed over 3 million Americans in five years lol no glossing over mass death literally dropping people dead all around us is not at all difficult for them. Americans welcome the blinders. they have class interest in keeping poo poo going as long as possible

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Yes, we are already in collapse, this is what it looks like. Things will continue to get worse, in the environment, in the economy, and politically (collapse into fascism).

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

4d3d3d posted:

If anyone doesn't outright deny the concept then it's an argument about what any of that really means and that can be different from person to person based on how they feel about the climate. It's hard to agree when the answer is 50,000 different opinions.

"Collapse" of "Civilization" "As We Know It"

Is that Mad Max? That is a total collapse of industrial society leaving behind roving gangs of scavengers who have nothing better to do than work on cars and leather outfits. It'd take the clathrate gun causing some extreme feedback loops that make mass agriculture abruptly disappear. I personally don't think this is happening currently. It's not impossible to science and those ocean charts are a bit concerning but we don't know how destabilized these new warm cycles are and actually do need more data. We had that "Cool Decade" because of ocean churn and deeper water absorbing the energy of the sun more than expected and are now being hit with the rebound so the issue is more complex than surface temperature in a 1 year timeframe. Maybe if the AMOC finally collapses and we lose croplands.

Is collapse a global economic collapse that shrinks the world when there is an issue with international resource transfer or acquisition? There would be some radical change and alteration to our society if there were an abrupt halt to global trade. Enough to be considered a collapse of our civilization and after whatever wars result would be a historical milestone in human history for whatever books are written.

Timeline is a variable too. Is someone calling Mad Max by 2030 or 2130.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Oh, yeah, and don't forget wars.Wars are coming.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Actuary X posted:

Oh, yeah, and don't forget wars.Wars are coming.

already happening !!!

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

TACD posted:

My issue with the take that capitalist society can just continue forever because it's so rotten and evil is that you have to agree that it works. Profits really are infinite and can grow forever. If they don't they can just say that they do and that works.

If it can't collapse because the measures used so far have worked then capitalism is eternal and they can just halt any crash forever. Every time there is a 2008 you just pay your way out of it. Bank collapse? Bail them out. 2020? Bail out corporations. Pave over it with money. Since they control the money they control the paving and it will never stop.

Or these measures working made things worse. Capitalist society "Worked" when it was allowed to crash sometimes and this cheatmode stuff we discovered in the modern era is making the eventual impact with the reality of physical limits and non-infinite nature of profits catastrophically worse? At some point reality has to reconcile with fantasy. At some point the actual material worth of things has to matter.

I can see being so cynical to think that nothing else is possible and they can maintain it forever but people don't eat numbers.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

mags posted:

already happening !!!

Yes but ~it's not that bad yet~

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

4d3d3d posted:

this is pretty much it, for most people they do not have a concept of what to do without the current capitalist societal framing. So people are gonna keep doing what they are doing until they can't or they see another viable path.

We like to say we aren't just animals, but we are with extra steps, and its very well observed how they will keep to their patterns until forced to not due to changing conditions such as loss of habitat, food source, new predator etc. For most of us in North America this is not the case, it happens to some and you see small migratory behaviour to stabler areas but its not bad enough to disrupt the pattern that exists and is proven to at least keep you fed and housed. Just don't look into rising unhoused rates or rising cost of food and the increased news of 'crime'. Im not sure how much is intentionally a part of the messaging that things are fine but it's definitely not coincidental they keep saying it and who is targeted too.
If you are already being pushed out due to the above conditions they dgaf, the messaging is for the 'regular folk' to keep things going and to say there is no pressure to change.

It's literally the reason the rcmp in Canada talked about how a majority of young Canadians realizing the instability in their shelter prospects is a big threat

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Xaris posted:

there's probably some noaa bouy data somewhere. sea surface is generally considered the upper 20cm, or very roughly a foot, not inch.

but deep sea, like 1000 to 6000 m is also warming by 0.02 - 0.04c per decadehttps://www.aoml.noaa.gov/news/deep-sea-is-slowing-warming/ https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2020GL089093

which uh doesnt sound like a lot but that's really bad considering fluctuations should be thousandths of a celcius

this is interesting, made me think about thermal expansion. I wonder what the rise of ocean would be on thermal expansion would be with .1 increase on a column of deep ocean water

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i think post 2008 and 2020 we're "exporting inflation" in such a way that we're using the global economy as a pressure release valve. things are obviously getting worse domestically, but only at about half the rate they should be, because for every dollar circulating within the us economy there's another one circulating elsewhere. what we're seeing as a ~1/4th increase in the cost of housing and mild inflation the rest of the petrodollarsphere is seeing as double digit inflation in every commodity, especially food.

so the real question here is... how long will the empire hold? how long did "ex" british colonies continue to finance 80% of their trade through city of london banks?

imho you can look to france's currency 'union' with a handful of african countries as like a microcosm of the greater american petrodollarsphere. the french would not have their standard of living without it, but the climate induced collapse of that region is leading to a breakup of the arrangement. the consequences to the french economy will be a canary to watch.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Ignore_Me posted:

As for the matter of practicing honest self reflection to ensure that your brain doesn’t melt inside of a climate despair echo chamber, this is very good advice and is the main element that factors into the social stigma I have suffered in talking about these topics with close friends and colleagues who are usually otherwise onboard with these issues.

Like, “No buddy, I’m not running around like chicken little prophesizing to you the exact date that the sky will fall. You aren’t getting my emotionally driven hysterical response. You are receiving an opinion on the matter which is a RESULT of the amount of time I have spent reflecting upon the available information and its implications. It is you who is responding emotionally in your unflinching denial to even briefly consider that what I’m saying might be a rational conclusion”.

Out entire global population has been conditioned by propaganda to believe that any argument we hear which emotionally charges us must be inherently dismissible because if it were true it would be more ‘boring’. We are all walking versions of the r/nothingeverhappens subreddit, ready to dismiss anything and believe in nothing.

I’m not a soothsayer and I have no idea what specific shape the future takes, because I don’t care that’s stupid. I can look at its general outline and tell it’s completely hosed. Because the present is currently hosed.

good post

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Mar 24, 2024

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

no lube so what posted:

this is interesting, made me think about thermal expansion. I wonder what the rise of ocean would be on thermal expansion would be with .1 increase on a column of deep ocean water

Isnt thermal expansion as big of a driver to sea level increase as the melting ice? It's a huge factor either way but I thought it was about half responsible

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://packaged-media.redd.it/69lq...64c25ca32cf#t=0

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

on one hand, the world as we know it might be going away, on the other, there could be lucrative new opportunities for you and your family as a landsknecht and support personnel
it's time to bring back traditional mercenary family roles

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i am sure i've brought it up before but i had a conversation with someone where they said something along the lines of, "i know things are bad and are getting worse but i would just rather not think about it," and i think that's true for nearly everyone. when you step over a body on the way to the office, so to speak, if you're the average person you may see it as a blip or you may see the body as deserving of its misfortune. covid was a phenomenal test run of the collapse if you want to imagine how people would/do react to worsening conditions. when someone calls me a doomer irl i like to remind them of the time when i said covid was going to kill millions of people and that our lives were never going to be the same and i was told several times, "it's a cold and we're going to be closed for two weeks, tops".

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

he's awful but his voice makes me laugh so goddamn hard

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

cash crab posted:

he's awful but his voice makes me laugh so goddamn hard

which one

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

cash crab posted:

i am sure i've brought it up before but i had a conversation with someone where they said something along the lines of, "i know things are bad and are getting worse but i would just rather not think about it," and i think that's true for nearly everyone. when you step over a body on the way to the office, so to speak, if you're the average person you may see it as a blip or you may see the body as deserving of its misfortune. covid was a phenomenal test run of the collapse if you want to imagine how people would/do react to worsening conditions. when someone calls me a doomer irl i like to remind them of the time when i said covid was going to kill millions of people and that our lives were never going to be the same and i was told several times, "it's a cold and we're going to be closed for two weeks, tops".

When you're essentially powerless to do anything about it you either drive yourself crazy posting in the biosphere collapse thread or you ignore it as best you can.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

MightyBigMinus posted:

i think post 2008 and 2020 we're "exporting inflation" in such a way that we're using the global economy as a pressure release valve. things are obviously getting worse domestically, but only at about half the rate they should be, because for every dollar circulating within the us economy there's another one circulating elsewhere. what we're seeing as a ~1/4th increase in the cost of housing and mild inflation the rest of the petrodollarsphere is seeing as double digit inflation in every commodity, especially food.

so the real question here is... how long will the empire hold? how long did "ex" british colonies continue to finance 80% of their trade through city of london banks?

imho you can look to france's currency 'union' with a handful of african countries as like a microcosm of the greater american petrodollarsphere. the french would not have their standard of living without it, but the climate induced collapse of that region is leading to a breakup of the arrangement. the consequences to the french economy will be a canary to watch.

Yeah, more than anything else we're adept at offloading/offshoring/externalizing (whatever you want to call it) our physical trash as well as the costs of our way of life onto the poorer nations and will continue to do so to the bitter end, i.e. when they're pretty much all dead or incapable of meaningful work, and that's when the fun is going to start

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

cash crab posted:

That's the most you'll get out of anyone, beyond "it won't be our problem, maybe our grandchildren's, but not ours so whatever"

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Stereotype posted:

all the cold water is probably just chillin below the warm stuff.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

cash crab posted:

Ongoing and unresolvable stress, anxiety, fear, etc. are essentially the worst things that can happen to you short of actual, physical pain. Like, there's a reason "died peacefully in their sleep" is something that people see as a best possible outcome even though a person still be dead.

Everyone posting and reading about this poo poo is a weirdo who either doesn't have that anxiety response or crack pinged through it a long time ago. Most people out in the world are just taking the psychological strategy that doesn't leave them lying awake at night in existential terror for themselves and their children because that's the only actually rational response to this situation.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

RandomBlue posted:

When you're essentially powerless to do anything about it you either drive yourself crazy posting in the biosphere collapse thread or you ignore it as best you can.

im not crazy, im laughing actually. would a crazy person be laughing this much??

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
we’ve had tons of little collapses throughout history. like what did folks in West Africa do in the 18th century when slavers wrecked their village/region/country/continent? some of them fought and died. of the ones who survived somehow, some of those killed themselves and some of them braided seeds into their hair.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

Ongoing and unresolvable stress, anxiety, fear, etc. are essentially the worst things that can happen to you short of actual, physical pain. Like, there's a reason "died peacefully in their sleep" is something that people see as a best possible outcome even though a person still be dead.

Everyone posting and reading about this poo poo is a weirdo who either doesn't have that anxiety response or crack pinged through it a long time ago. Most people out in the world are just taking the psychological strategy that doesn't leave them lying awake at night in existential terror for themselves and their children because that's the only actually rational response to this situation.

I kind of get this, but also A) it'll leave you less prepared to deal with disasters involving stress, etc. when they inevitably do happen to you whether you want to stay in your bubble or not, and B) we should be aware of what's going on around us and the grander scheme because that's valuable in and of itself

You don't tell a dying patient they'll be ok.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

4d3d3d posted:

I kind of get this, but also A) it'll leave you less prepared to deal with disasters involving stress, etc. when they inevitably do happen to you whether you want to stay in your bubble or not, and B) we should be aware of what's going on around us and the grander scheme because that's valuable in and of itself

You don't tell a dying patient they'll be ok.

I wasn't really making a value judgement about it, I was just pointing out that people tend to naturally take the strategy that leads to the least physical or emotional pain. I think people who talk a lot about climate change have a blind spot for how badly this poo poo fucks with people. It takes a lot of work to get to the point where you can just go to work and put money in your 401k all while genuinely believing there's a real chance of things falling apart long before you ever hit retirement age.

Dying patients will absolutely reject the idea that they're dying if given the opportunity. That kind of denial is much, much easier with climate change, where you have plenty of people telling you that everything is fine.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Stereotype posted:

im not crazy, im laughing actually. would a crazy person be laughing this much??

https://imgur.com/a/XbLvTli

omg he is literally me

e: I guess imgur blocks embedding on these here forums

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ignore_Me posted:

https://imgur.com/a/XbLvTli

omg he is literally me

e: I guess imgur blocks embedding on these here forums

the mobile link the app gives you doesn’t work, or at least I don’t know how to get the bbcode link from my phone. on desktop it gives you more share options.