Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

Outrail posted:

Facebook sucks you are the product etc etc

website made by a creep using creep logic to make creep decisions? why i never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reddit got mad at me for saying this but I had a lot of trouble watching The Social Network because Jesse Eisenburg did such a good job being an incel league creep it was offputting and uncomfortable

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Reddit got mad at me for saying this but I had a lot of trouble watching The Social Network because Jesse Eisenburg did such a good job being an incel league creep it was offputting and uncomfortable

That's cuz he wasn't acting, he's just an insufferable shithead irl

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
He played the same character in the Squid and the Whale

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Also in The Shield and The Wire.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Seems real easy to fix, just pass around the collections plate

Like 40+, it's been almost 20 years since most malls escalated to installing those loudspeakers that constantly screech at a tone the olds can't hear

Even if people don't figure it out, seems unwise to base your business on making sure that everyone under 20, and everyone in a group with anyone under 20, has a bad time in your establishment. Has anyone tried explaining the linear nature of time to the marketing geniuses who came up with that one?

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Heck, I'm in my 30s and can hear the example "repeller" tone in this article:
https://www.npr.org/2006/05/26/5434687/teens-turn-repeller-into-adult-proof-ringtone

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ScienceSeagull posted:

https://www.npr.org/2006/05/26/5434687/teens-turn-repeller-into-adult-proof-ringtone

My local bowling alley has one of the "teen repeller" tones in the lobby. I'm nearly 40 and I can hear it very clearly, but none of my friends younger or older can. It's loving horrible.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Quote-Unquote posted:

My local bowling alley has one of the "teen repeller" tones in the lobby. I'm nearly 40 and I can hear it very clearly, but none of my friends younger or older can. It's loving horrible.

Finally a solution for all the teens who hang out at bowling alleys.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

Finally a solution for all the teens who hang out at bowling alleys.

if America had high pitched teen repelling noises in bowling alleys, lauren boebert would have never started a political career.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We used to have drive-in theater here where you tuned your radio to a very local FM (I think) station. That was a cool place. It closed in 2015. :(

RIP Keno.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

big mean giraffe posted:

What's Raleys?

The California equivalent of HEB

Although nowhere near as good

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Atopian posted:

Even if people don't figure it out, seems unwise to base your business on making sure that everyone under 20, and everyone in a group with anyone under 20, has a bad time in your establishment. Has anyone tried explaining the linear nature of time to the marketing geniuses who came up with that one?

Well no approximately all of those malls went out of business at least once in the following decades. The Mosquito remains as popular as ever with doomed businesses and, increasingly, doomed city governments

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Quote-Unquote posted:

if America had high pitched teen repelling noises in bowling alleys, lauren boebert would have never started a political career.

Or found true love.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Boy they really want to see bowling slide even further in into irrelevance

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

My local mall just banned unaccompanied teenagers, which sounds like a pretty key demographic at a time when malls are dying, but what do I know. The background is that recently a bunch of teenagers have been showing up and hanging around, allegedly to steal stuff, and the police have come and shut down the mall several times in response. (As far as I know, the teens never actually did any mass theft.) There was also a case where some teens chased and beat up another teen a few months back. Still, it seemed like a pretty crazy over-reaction to fully ban unaccompanied teens.

But then I found out that a lot of the teenagers were black and that our local cops have been painting swastikas in people's impounded cars, and it all started to make more sense.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My parents and grandparents can hear those tones fine. Some genius decided "I can't hear poo poo so it must be normal to not be able to hear poo poo."

I'm sure age is a determining factor but it's not the only one.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

My local mall just banned unaccompanied teenagers, which sounds like a pretty key demographic at a time when malls are dying, but what do I know. The background is that recently a bunch of teenagers have been showing up and hanging around, allegedly to steal stuff, and the police have come and shut down the mall several times in response. (As far as I know, the teens never actually did any mass theft.) There was also a case where some teens chased and beat up another teen a few months back. Still, it seemed like a pretty crazy over-reaction to fully ban unaccompanied teens.

But then I found out that a lot of the teenagers were black and that our local cops have been painting swastikas in people's impounded cars, and it all started to make more sense.

At least around here like a 3rd of mall traffic is old people that hang out and don't buy anything. "Mall walkers". I'm guessing that might be a contributing factor too.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Why do those policies always have specific times of day they go into effect? I know the real purpose is to gently caress with minorities but what are they gaining by pretending that beating the poo poo out of someone is more okay if it happens at 2:30 instead of 3:00?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

b mad at me posted:

The California equivalent of HEB

Although nowhere near as good

Pretty low bar (HEB is mid and I'm tired of pretending it's not just because Texas people refuse to shut up about it)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Quote-Unquote posted:

No harm to babies, bats, people or puppers

riptidejim
Mar 11, 2024

Have a good night!

Literally A Person posted:

I just say "excuse me" in a polite friendly tone and people move.

This seems to be a lost concept to people nowadays. I was one of the "store shoppers" for Target for a couple years and customers, more often than not, would rather awkwardly push by each other than simply say "excuse me." It would bother me so badly.

I have to say the worst grocery store customers are the people who think it's ok to wear headphones and blast music while pushing their cart around. I had an incident where someone hit me with their cart because they just decided to fly out of the aisle with their headphones on. You gotta either put one earbud in, or lower the volume. To me it's extremely inconsiderate to completely block out sound while shopping... and don't even get me started on the ones who dance like they're in a commercial while they shop. I know, live and let live, but man... It's so unbearable.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If suffering through someone else's terrible dance routine is the worst thing in your day can we trade lives?

I'll complain about them too :shrug:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

riptidejim posted:

I have to say the worst grocery store customers are the people who think it's ok to wear headphones and blast music while pushing their cart around.

I’m jealous you seemingly haven’t yet encountered “People who have an animated conversation on max-volume speakerphone while shopping.”

Pushing a cart with one hand, holding your phone four inches from your face, and gossiping about some woman who dared to attend a church service in a sundress like a harlot is not a recipe for spatial awareness.

EDIT: “Bonus” points if it’s a FaceTime call for some unknowable reason. And no, they are not showing products to the person on the other end of the call, it is almost guaranteed that the camera is pointed at the ceiling.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 24, 2024

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

While i agree that with headphones on you gotta be more careful to not accidentally bump into people, it's also important to keep into account that many people get way overstimulated in super markets and having your own music is a way to deal with that. To me, it's incredibly inconsiderate to blast loud, hook/earworm filled pop music (everyday the same) in super markets, but i can't do anything about that except overpower it with my own.
I love Aldi because they don't have music, but for lots of stuff i gotta go to another store, and certain clothing stores are really bad as well.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ScienceSeagull posted:

I had to turn it up quite a bit to hear it, but my kid came running in demanding to know what it was.

CRTs are long gone, I wonder if I wouldn't be able to hear those either?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

My parents and grandparents can hear those tones fine. Some genius decided "I can't hear poo poo so it must be normal to not be able to hear poo poo."

I'm sure age is a determining factor but it's not the only one.

You're not an adult if you haven't been on a jet plane long enough to acquire hearing damage.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

buffbus posted:

RIP Keno.

:smith::hf::smith:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

doctorfrog posted:

I had to turn it up quite a bit to hear it, but my kid came running in demanding to know what it was.

CRTs are long gone, I wonder if I wouldn't be able to hear those either?

CRTs are still popular with retro gamers. Every once in a while you see posts on something like r/crtgaming where a young person wanting to experience old games gets a CRT and asks if the whining sound is normal. It's adorable :unsmith:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bossy lady posted:

CRTs are still popular with retro gamers. Every once in a while you see posts on something like r/crtgaming where a young person wanting to experience old games gets a CRT and asks if the whining sound is normal. It's adorable :unsmith:

Yeah CRT people are weirdos they should just get themselves a retrotwink they're suppose to be pretty good.

What? That isn't what it's called? Oh my bad. https://www.retrotink.com/. Watching Game Center CX taught me retro games are garbage. I mean I knew that, as I'm 38 but still it's good to have it confirmed.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah CRT people are weirdos they should just get themselves a retrotwink they're suppose to be pretty good.

What? That isn't what it's called? Oh my bad. https://www.retrotink.com/. Watching Game Center CX taught me retro games are garbage. I mean I knew that, as I'm 38 but still it's good to have it confirmed.

Gaming with your retrotwink on a playdate is a good time

riptidejim
Mar 11, 2024

Have a good night!

Outrail posted:

If suffering through someone else's terrible dance routine is the worst thing in your day can we trade lives?

Not sure where i said it was the worst thing in my day.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Duck and Cover posted:

This is not the same thing. SSBM on a CRT is godlike it isn't the same game on an LCD.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I have a cute little 16" crt covered in various stickers that serves as a cool decoration and also I like to play ps2 on there

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

credburn posted:

No harm to babies, bats, people or puppers

Building designers have a slightly adapted version of the Hippocratic oath, I see.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
The YouTube android app currently has a non-removable banner suggesting users join the depraved anime pervert fandom.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

run on sentience posted:

The YouTube android app currently has a non-removable banner suggesting users join the depraved anime pervert fandom.

finally figured out which cash cows have the most milk

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i noticed going out and doing stuff has gotten shittier. and i dont just mean more expensive. at certain attractions, there's the usual crowds but many of them might also be "content creators" or "influencers" now

we went to the local botanical gardens today and there were so many people trying to takeover areas to stage photos and record videos of themselves in front of the plants and getting upset whenever they got interrupted (frequently, since it was very crowded due to being a pleasant weekend day). gently caress off they should ban it all

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thathonkey posted:

i noticed going out and doing stuff has gotten shittier. and i dont just mean more expensive. at certain attractions, there's the usual crowds but many of them might also be "content creators" or "influencers" now

we went to the local botanical gardens today and there were so many people trying to takeover areas to stage photos and record videos of themselves in front of the plants and getting upset whenever they got interrupted (frequently, since it was very crowded due to being a pleasant weekend day). gently caress off they should ban it all

Yeah it's loving annoying esp when they start putting down equipment. Even just with a friend who insists on stopping to take a photo of everything and spends half the time looking at or through their phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

thathonkey posted:

That influencer is going to share with many people while you're selfishly going to keep flowers to yourself. Shame on you!