Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
I must ask, do you edit your fortunes or not? Because it a bit odd that your last one matched so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think I mentioned this to you before, but the Four Lords have a habit of going around in rabbit costumes during Seasonal Events because of one Hatching-tide where rabbit costumes were worn by all NPCs involved.

There was also a Seasonal Event where Gaius had to wear a chicken outfit. :allears:

almost made me stumble rear end over tea kettle into another costume hijinks spoiler, but i'll behave.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DLord posted:

I must ask, do you edit your fortunes or not? Because it a bit odd that your last one matched so much.

Well written fortunes are so open ended you can apply them to many situations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well written fortunes are so open ended you can apply them to many situations.

Yeah. Keep in mind it is not "this is your fortune for X quest". They get brought up because they fit that situation, not because they were intended to fit that situation.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Still room for DRK postin'? This is mostly my forever favorite tanking glam, but it started as DRK years ago (and got some parts swapped out here and there).

Taken in a most appropriate zone.

Also like everyone else here, I am hype as gently caress to see your journey through Shadowbringers!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ziddar posted:

Still room for DRK postin'? This is mostly my forever favorite tanking glam, but it started as DRK years ago (and got some parts swapped out here and there).

Taken in a most appropriate zone.

Also like everyone else here, I am hype as gently caress to see your journey through Shadowbringers!

What are the pieces on that? Its wonderful.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Feldegast42 posted:

What are the pieces on that? Its wonderful.
Chest is Exarchic, arms are the ones from the Garlean disguise you get from Stormblood.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

GilliamYaeger posted:

Chest is Exarchic, arms are the ones from the Garlean disguise you get from Stormblood.

Right on one thing, but not the other (spoilered for Sang):Weapon is Neo-Ishgardian, chest is Exarchic, arms are Skallic fending, legs are Ronkan, and Feet are Lunar Envoy.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DLord posted:

I assure you my fortunes are presented 100% unedited

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

One thing to remember is that because this is a game the fortunetellers can in fact predict the future and write cryptic hints that are appropriate for your position in the MSQ if they wanted to. I don't think they go to those lengths for a little fun thing seasonal event, but they totally can.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Me waiting patiently for the next LP post

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Kwyndig posted:

One thing to remember is that because this is a game the fortunetellers can in fact predict the future and write cryptic hints that are appropriate for your position in the MSQ if they wanted to. I don't think they go to those lengths for a little fun thing seasonal event, but they totally can.

I think each year they adjust even the generalized fortunes a bit because everybody was saying "woahhh, like Dawntrail" in the main SA FF14 thread when the event was active.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
SHADOWBRINGERS TIME YEA

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Kwyndig posted:

There are definitely a couple fortunes there that are clearly written towards Endwalker in this regard.

MeagenImage
Mar 24, 2024
Long time reader, figured this was a good time to sign up on the forum and jump in. Sanguina's writeups are the best combination of fun and informative. Ever since the posts in FFXIV general where Forgotten Springs was dubbed Horny Jail.

I played FFXIV for a bit and quite enjoyed it. Started around patch 3.5, made my way through the MSQ at a good clip and went through Stormblood when it was new. Unfortunately there was just so much Stuff both new and old that it sort of ate my brain and it became difficult to focus on anything else. Unsubbed to take a break around 4.3, but I was still thinking about all the Job leveling and crafting achievements and Relic grind that was waiting for me. So... I had to make the tough decision. I used the next Welcome Back Weekend to delete everything.

It looked like the story was going into more Realpolitik and Garlean War, so I didn't think I'd miss much...

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

MeagenImage posted:

Unsubbed to take a break around 4.3, but I was still thinking about all the Job leveling and crafting achievements and Relic grind that was waiting for me. So... I had to make the tough decision. I used the next Welcome Back Weekend to delete everything.

It looked like the story was going into more Realpolitik and Garlean War, so I didn't think I'd miss much...

I can get taking a break but why delete all your stuff???

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Rosalind posted:

I did that once in WoW hoping it would break the games hold over me. Didn't work.

MeagenImage
Mar 24, 2024

Rosalind posted:

Taking a break was not helping me stop obsessing over the game. There was still so much Stuff I wanted to work on, and there would only be more the longer I spent away. For my own mental health, the only way was to make a clean break and know there was nothing for me to come back to.

I can still read about the story and look at cool fanart! I just don't need to worry that my numbers aren't going up, or that I'm falling behind on learning to tank every encounter.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
What works for one may not work for another.

MeagenImage
Mar 24, 2024

Sanguinia posted:

I did that once in WoW hoping it would break the games hold over me. Didn't work.

It probably helped that 1) I did not have any sort of regular "raid group" in FFXIV, 2) I was also playing GW2 at the time, where I *did* have the company of a good friend.

Also not to badmouth ARR but, uh, "If I went back I would have to play all of ARR again" was a pretty solid deterrent until the (metaphorical) shakes subsided.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rhonne posted:

You know, it occurs to me that the next expansion is going to come out during this, which means we'll be seeing the graphical update in the middle of the LP. That's going to be a little jarring.
It occurs to me that the dual-channel dye update will also come out during this.

(Sharing this one single slide because it's just the Peacelover's Attire used as an example which was part of Ishgardian Restoration content, and that's already been covered.)

That's going to be really big for Fashion. :namazu:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

...I did too, once. I ended up requesting back my character via support.

I was more on and off with WoW than most but I happened to be On when all the poo poo broke about blizzard in 2021 and jumped ship to FF14 with the rest of everyone.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 25, 2024

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Rhonne posted:

You know, it occurs to me that the next expansion is going to come out during this, which means we'll be seeing the graphical update in the middle of the LP. That's going to be a little jarring.

While there is a particular ShB NPC who is going to be an obvious beneficiary of better textures, Hien is also gonna be a big winner in the engine update. His coat is really cool, so I hope they get around to touching him up sooner rather than later.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I hope the graphical update fixes Hien's coat, they had to do some funky poo poo to get it to work because it is at the limit for number of simultaneous colors or something crazy like that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They did say they'd be rolling out improvements in stages over the course of 7.x, and the most immediate beneficiaries would be any NPC that uses stock player character components (since they'll be prioritizing all those first). Hien's coat may or may not fall under the first wave.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Of all the custom-face/clothing characters we've met that will benefit most from the graphical update finally reaching them, I think Zenos and Hien are neck and neck in terms of their outfits being freed from deep-fried texture prison.

That said they have said their priority is player gear, so I fully expect the NPCs with player-unusable models to lag behind cash shop NPC outfit updates for at least a bit until their pixels get smoothed out. E: and even the gear they've stated is starting in ARR, so there's going to be a big delay even in player stuff from StB.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Hogama posted:

That's going to be really big for Fashion. :namazu:

Yeah no small numbers of players eager to apply Jet Black Dye to *both* slots now ;)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah no small numbers of players eager to apply Jet Black Dye to *both* slots now ;)

As a member of the Jet Black Slut club, you couldn't be more wrong.

It'll be the metallic gold/metallic silver/pearl white/dalamud red slot, depending on edginess. :colbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dalamud Red is the perfect shade of red and it's one you can craft yourself

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I’m glad Kheris touched base with her mom after all these years an indeterminate amount of time less than one year. And unleashed her inner Shonen hero for the trip.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My guess is that the graphical updates are going to move expansion by expansion. 7.0 is going to have all the player models and anything NPC unique used by an NPC in Dawntrail itself. Every patch from then on will roughly cover one expansion’s worth of custom NPCs.

Which means Hien and ShB’s particularly cronchy NPC model will have to wait a bit.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DrakePegasus posted:

I’m glad Kheris touched base with her mom after all these years an indeterminate amount of time less than one year. And unleashed her inner Shonen hero for the trip.

Is this REALLY the party line on the game's timeline? I know they made a joke about it in Hildibrand 3 but yeesh, that's wild to me. Like, I've done three Risings! I haven't checked my screenshots but I'm 90% sure they didn't say THE CALAMITY WAS 5 YEARS AGO! each time.

Well, I know in my head canon things have been progressing in-line with the progress of holidays, which means Kheris arrived in Ul'dah a bit less than 3 years ago. That feels like a mostly-reasonable progression of time for the events of the story. In real life, Shadowbringers came out in 2019, which would be 5 years after the 2.0 launch. Feels a little on the slow side, but not totally unreasonable given how epic in scale the events of Stormblood were and accounting for reasonable travel/mobilization timelines.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the fiction piece. I get a lot of satisfaction out of writing those. I sometimes feel bad that I kind of appropriated Galaga's character for my storyline, but other than that they've been very fun for me. ...I should probably write one that ISN'T about our hero having an emotional breakdown at some point, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They really, genuinely, truly refuse to commit to an actual, definite passage of time in-game. They've said in panels that this is due to not wanting to force new players who get to play years worth of expansion content in one chunk to commit to an arbitrary length they won't feel as keenly as someone who's been playing since launch. Plus, you know, not having to update NPC character models due to aging, as well. I'm still of the opinion that they should go ahead and do so anyway; add transition screens if necessary, have placards that say "three months later" or whatever before continuing, but it's just a little silly that we've done all this before the Twins officially turn 17.

But you can headcanon some degree of passage of time and I guess accept old zones as generally being locked in the past anyway. There's a little flexibility for deniability's sake. I've heard the player suggestion before of letting time pass at roughly half real-world speed (so every expansion is a year, more or less), and it's not the worst pitch.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
There's no canonical specific passage of time but there's a canonical order to it all (By expac and then by level, usually) and in the canonical events of the MSQ there's a few weeks of down time here and there and days and nights etc so if you wanna track even by like...narrative time it's probably been more than a year, but they just say Around a Year to keep it vague. Otherwise the twins' ever threatening growth spurts will seem even weirder when it's been 3 years canonically and they're both the same old model.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Hogama posted:

Plus, you know, not having to update NPC character models due to aging, as well.

Bah, these people are all anime characters, it's not like they'll physically age between 18 and 40-ish anyway.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Khloe isn't allowed to age. She's a permakitten

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sanguinia posted:

Bah, these people are all anime characters, it's not like they'll physically age between 18 and 40-ish anyway.

The issue is specifically Alphinaud and Alisaie. Who are Elezen pre-giraffe.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doesn't Tataru say at some point in 4.x that it's been about a year and a half since the great banquet (ie the end of ARR)?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

YggiDee posted:

Khloe isn't allowed to age. She's a permakitten

Khloe is probably a primordial entity that feeds on the souls of the innocent.

Or, at least, that's what I tell myself every time I don't get three lines of stickers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Khloe is probably a primordial entity that feeds on the souls of the innocent.

Or, at least, that's what I tell myself every time I don't get three lines of stickers...

You guys are getting lines?