Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CongoJack posted:

Saw a semi with a big sign on the back that says “Caution stay back. We will not be liable for damage to your vehicle!” Is that all it takes to not be liable? Can I put one of those on my car and dump rocks out occasionally from the trunk free from all liability for the damage?

They can at least point to the sign as exhibit 1 and do the legal version of I warned you about the stairs bro, but it doesn't in and of itself absolve them of all liability no.

E: this is a terrible snipe

Let me try: If I clone myself but make a clone without a brain, and I gently caress the (inert) clone, is that rape because it couldn't consent? Wouldn't it be assumed that it would consent regardless? Is it incest because we are related? Is it necrophilia (or attempt necrophilia) if I make the clone without a medulla oblongata, because it functionally can't survive unassisted without one?

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nice piece of fish posted:

They can at least point to the sign as exhibit 1 and do the legal version of I warned you about the stairs bro, but it doesn't in and of itself absolve them of all liability no.

E:

I've always wondered how much, in practice, such preemptive defensiveness opens people up to "so you knew this was a danger and all you did to mitigate that danger was put up a sign?" Type attacks

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Let me try: If I clone myself but make a clone without a brain, and I gently caress the (inert) clone, is that rape because it couldn't consent? Wouldn't it be assumed that it would consent regardless? Is it incest because we are related? Is it necrophilia (or attempt necrophilia) if I make the clone without a medulla oblongata, because it functionally can't survive unassisted without one?

thats all just wankery with extra steps

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

E: this is a terrible snipe

I feel like there's bound to be relevant case law for brain dead individuals on life support (and possibly Lawyers :haw:)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
As I understand it for the car thing, a lot of it is going to depend on the state's theory of liability. I got a D in Torts, but it was a pretty hard curve so I might not be completely off base.

So if I'm tailgating a guy and my car gets damaged and I sue him, the state and or jury might decide that I am some percent at faulr because of the warning being there. Depending on the state that could be the same as not having the warning, it could be that I get a judgment prorated based on how much the driver was actually at fault verse how much I was, or it could be that I get nothing by contributing to the accident.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I loving hate theories of liability

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

On the one hand categorically no one would consent to sex with you

on the other hand any clone of you would necessarily lack a brain

on the third hand removing someone's brain would move them closer to consenting to sex with you

on the fourth hand desire to gently caress someone like you is grounds for a lack of mens rea

on the fifth hand as a clone of you the clone would have strong grounds for a wrongful life complaint

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 20, 2024

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
If you rear end someone I’m willing to bet wherever you are has some form of presumption that you are at fault, which you may rebut with some kind of evidence but “they had a sign that said I shouldn’t follow too closely” ain’t it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If you rear end someone I’m willing to bet wherever you are has some form of presumption that you are at fault, which you may rebut with some kind of evidence but “they had a sign that said I shouldn’t follow too closely” ain’t it

I think they were talking about tailgating a dump truck and getting gravel damage, not colliding with the truck.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
What if I'm liable to rear end my clone?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

On the one hand categorically no one would consent to sex with you

on the other hand any clone of you would necessarily lack a brain

on the third hand removing someone's brain would move them closer to consenting to sex with you

on the fourth hand desire to gently caress someone like you is grounds for a lack of mens rea

on the fifth hand as a clone of you the clone would have strong grounds for a wrongful life complaint

Hey you should go back to the discord server, I'm deadminned now and spend my time shitposting so bad they are banning me any day now.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

joat mon posted:

I think they were talking about tailgating a dump truck and getting gravel damage, not colliding with the truck.

Yea it was this. My friend and I were making fun of it and I decided to ask the legal experts online about it.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hey you should go back to the discord server, I'm deadminned now and spend my time shitposting so bad they are banning me any day now.

shut up loser

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

joat mon posted:

More like driving a normal and legal distance behind a truck and getting gravel damage. Gravel coming off the top of a dump truck can go a lot farther than tailgating distance.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Signage: one weird trick to absolve yourself of the responsibility for securing your load. Traffic courts hate this.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

joat mon posted:

Not sure of the legal side of this, but I used to work in road construction and the bosses were very particular about cleaning all loose gravel/rocks/dirt from the rear end end of any vehicles that were going to hit the road.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Skunkduster posted:

Not sure of the legal side of this, but I used to work in road construction and the bosses were very particular about cleaning all loose gravel/rocks/dirt from the rear end end of any vehicles that were going to hit the road.
Yep.
1. Not cleaning off those stones and crap is a total dick move.
2. You/your company can get cited/fined for failure to secure your load.
and as discussed,
3. Liability for damages you cause to other people.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Yep.
1. Not cleaning off those stones and crap is a total dick move.
2. You/your company can get cited/fined for failure to secure your load.
and as discussed,
3. Liability for damages you cause to other people.

Plus, you can loving kill someone. Had a client who drove a construction truck, failed to clean off and on the road to site had a rock bigger than the size of a fist fall off at 50+ mph, bounce off the road and punch straight through the drivers side front window of an oncoming car, destroying the drivers side headrest. Lucky as gently caress the driver managed to dodge it and didn't have passengers.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

So if Trump can't/won't post bond it doesn't mean he can't appeal, it just means they can start collecting on the judgment while waiting for the appeal i.e. snatching his poo poo and selling it, is that right?

So what happens if they force the sale of some of his property and are spending the proceeds and then he actually wins the appeal? They have to give it all back? What if they don't have some of it?

I wonder if this might happen in my lawsuit. It certainly seems possible given how long the appeal is likely to take and the "snatching and selling" potentially being fast tracked due to already being in bankruptcy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bird with big dick posted:

So if Trump can't/won't post bond it doesn't mean he can't appeal, it just means they can start collecting on the judgment while waiting for the appeal i.e. snatching his poo poo and selling it, is that right?

So what happens if they force the sale of some of his property and are spending the proceeds and then he actually wins the appeal? They have to give it all back? What if they don't have some of it?

I wonder if this might happen in my lawsuit. It certainly seems possible given how long the appeal is likely to take and the "snatching and selling" potentially being fast tracked due to already being in bankruptcy.

The state, if it collects the funds before the appeal is final, will not spend them. They'll be held in some sort of account until the appeal is final and then directed to whatever the state does with those funds. If Trump wins, he'll get his money back.

If they have to sell land to get the money from him, he won't get his land back. He'll just get the cash.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So they’ll effectively put together the bond by force. I dig it.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I thought the ability to go for the appeal hinged on being able to put up a bond? Like, that was a criteria for it? (I very well could be wrong). So if didn't put it up, it would be the original judgement stood?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Arkhamina posted:

I thought the ability to go for the appeal hinged on being able to put up a bond? Like, that was a criteria for it? (I very well could be wrong). So if didn't put it up, it would be the original judgement stood?

He has a fundamental right to file an appeal. But just like convicted criminals go to prison after thr jury says "guilty" and have to wait for their appeals while they sit there, trump has lost and has to pay up now. He might win his appeal but now he has lost so he has to pay now.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Dumb question, then - so he would be required to pay now, and if he wins appeal, does it get returned? Cash, I imagine, as only bond people take property as collateral?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Arkhamina posted:

Dumb question, then - so he would be required to pay now, and if he wins appeal, does it get returned? Cash, I imagine, as only bond people take property as collateral?

Right, sortof. If he doesn't post the bond, the State can start selling off his poo poo to collect the money, so that the money is guaranteed to be there for the victims at the end of the case. Meanwhile the appeal proceeds of he files and requests one. If he wins he gets the money back.

He could avoid having his properties sold forcibly by choosing some to sell himself.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Plus, you can loving kill someone. Had a client who drove a construction truck, failed to clean off and on the road to site had a rock bigger than the size of a fist fall off at 50+ mph, bounce off the road and punch straight through the drivers side front window of an oncoming car, destroying the drivers side headrest. Lucky as gently caress the driver managed to dodge it and didn't have passengers.

Did he have a sign on the back of his truck saying he was not liable for any boulders that fell off his truck and decapitated people driving behind him?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right, sortof. If he doesn't post the bond, the State can start selling off his poo poo to collect the money, so that the money is guaranteed to be there for the victims at the end of the case. Meanwhile the appeal proceeds of he files and requests one. If he wins he gets the money back.

He could avoid having his properties sold forcibly by choosing some to sell himself.

Are there requirements that the NY AG has to get the best offer to sell his property, or could they sell it to the first person willing to buy it at a 'reasonable' value?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pentyne posted:

Are there requirements that the NY AG has to get the best offer to sell his property, or could they sell it to the first person willing to buy it at a 'reasonable' value?

I don't know. I think typically such things are done via auctions, like with confiscated property from drug dealers.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The UCC typically governs foreclosure sales which requires that the sale be " reasonable" I'm at the conditions of the sale are such as to prevent the foreclosing party from intentionally lowballing the amount received

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Commercially reasonable is the standard I believe

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Skunkduster posted:

Did he have a sign on the back of his truck saying he was not liable for any boulders that fell off his truck and decapitated people driving behind him?

Oh, absolutely. For sure and all, it's a get out of jail card no question. Mhm. Absolutely.

But if'n you read my post again, you might discover why paying attention to the facts is critical in matters of law.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He could avoid having his properties sold forcibly by not directly treating the court with contempt at every opportunity, but here we are I guess.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Volmarias posted:

He could avoid having his properties sold forcibly by not directly treating the court with contempt at every opportunity, but here we are I guess.

You sound like a radical left woke communist!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Still trying to figure out how this would work with me, in my situation. I get lets say a million bucks. Guy gets granted an appeal and wins the appeal. I obviously owe him a million bucks and he would have the normal right to recover it via wage garnishment or property liens/seizure, etc. But what if I only have $500,000 of the cash left, spent 1/4 of it on cars that have depreciated by 50%, and blew the other quarter of it on things that aren't really lien attachable (vacations, paying off CC debt or something maybe, buying valuable stamps and then using them to mail postcards, etc).

He wouldn't be able to seize my home (if it's under the amount protected by homestead exemption) or my 401k I don't believe. I guess he'd just be out the $375,000? It doesn't seem like there should be a legal reason it shouldn't be dischargeable via bankruptcy like most other judgments or debts?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I have a legal question related to Jury Duty if that's allowed?

I got summoned for Federal Grand Jury duty service. I answered the summons and went to court. I was selected for Grand Jury, which is fine, I don't have a compelling reason why I can't serve. The Grand Jury meets 3 days every month for 18 months.

Shortly after I got my Federal summons, the state of Connecticut summoned me to serve on a trial Jury. I used their website and requested to be excused given that I had a pending Federal Grand Jury summons. They declined my request stating that I hadn't attended Federal Jury Duty yet. I requested to be excused again after going to the Federal Grand Jury summons. They declined me again. I called them and explained my situation and requested to be excused again. They told me the Federal Jury Duty is separate from State Jury Duty, which I figured. I explained the commitment involved in the Federal Grand Jury service. On the phone they told me that I should be excused. Then they emailed me to say that they had denied my excuse.

All told I've requested to be excused 4 times so far and they've said no every single time. They can't select me for 2 Juries at the same time, can they? I plan on just answering the summons and telling the Judge and Lawyers that I've already been selected to a Jury. Do you think it is worthwhile to request to be excused again?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think if they sent a cop to retrieve you from actively sitting on a federal grand jury in order to force you to show up for a state jury summons, that could actually be a lot of good fun.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I think if they sent a cop to retrieve you from actively sitting on a federal grand jury in order to force you to show up for a state jury summons, that could actually be a lot of good fun.

The whole thing is straight out of The Trial.

I'm at the point now where I've fully bought in and I'm just going to show up to waste everyone's time.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Anderson Koopa posted:

The Grand Jury meets 3 days every month for 18 months.

This seems extremely excessive

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Still trying to figure out how this would work with me, in my situation. I get lets say a million bucks. Guy gets granted an appeal and wins the appeal. I obviously owe him a million bucks and he would have the normal right to recover it via wage garnishment or property liens/seizure, etc. But what if I only have $500,000 of the cash left, spent 1/4 of it on cars that have depreciated by 50%, and blew the other quarter of it on things that aren't really lien attachable (vacations, paying off CC debt or something maybe, buying valuable stamps and then using them to mail postcards, etc).

He wouldn't be able to seize my home (if it's under the amount protected by homestead exemption) or my 401k I don't believe. I guess he'd just be out the $375,000? It doesn't seem like there should be a legal reason it shouldn't be dischargeable via bankruptcy like most other judgments or debts?

This is why a bond is posted for the appeal. You don't get the million bucks until the appeal is over, so he gets his money back if he wins. If you win, you get the bond paid out to you plus you can go after him for the extra interest owed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Username
Jun 23, 2023
I have a question regarding being sued by creditors. If I am sued and they win I live in Ohio where they can garnish 25% of your after deduction pay. They can also levy your bank accounts. Currently I am on SSDI but plan on going back to work and this is causing me concern because SSDI can't be garnished.

I guess it is a stupid question when I think about it, but after getting my potential wages garnished they aren't going to try to levy my bank account every month so I have nothing to live on, right?