Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

i love that they make a lot of original properties

say what you will about sense8 and jupiter ascending, they werent marvel universe film #28 or a ghosbusters re-re-reboot

they're original, they're poorly executed and very very stupid, but they're original.

idk that having original bad ideas is much of a selling point, but i guess that's the 21st century for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
this is Cloud Atlas erasure

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

that’s exactly my thought on them. new sci-fi is a good thing

it’s precisely why I liked Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. was it the best sci fi movie ever? no. was it another avengers movie? also no.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Remulak posted:

Lol, applies to every single Keanu franchise.

it applies to the genre as a whole, really - part of what makes Neuromancer, or things by Dick, so appealing is that what's going on makes sense to the characters, is cool, and we're not having to slog through a contrived explanation that the characters don't need

Visions of Valerie fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 24, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

it’s precisely why I liked Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. was it the best sci fi movie ever? no. was it another avengers movie? also no.

plus that opening sequence set to space oddity was great

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Visions of Valerie posted:

it applies to the genre as a whole, really - part of what makes Neuromancer, or things by Dick, so appealing is that what's going on makes sense to the characters, is cool, and we're not having to slog through a contrived explanation that the characters don't need

Agreed, except for star trek which thrives on its setting imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
that does remind me I should watch Valerian at some point

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ADINSX posted:

Agreed, except for star trek which thrives on its setting imo

star trek, in a way, carved out a niche where explaining the technobabble-laden world works and usually serves the story of an episode in some way. they don’t really explain how the transporter or the holodeck or replicators work until they need to explain it to move the story forward

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Visions of Valerie posted:

:hmmyes:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Chris Knight posted:

that does remind me I should watch Valerian at some point

its a perfectly good movie, as is jupiter rising. Theyre just not Amazing Works of Art is all.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dress for the Job you Want (Bullet Hell Final Boss)

https://i.imgur.com/HRf5xBj.mp4

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I genuinely hope that making a series of extremely high profile, very expensive flops doesn’t hurt the watchowskis ability to make future movies, because even if I don’t love all of their movies, I love that they’re putting the work in to tell these kind of stories.

although, thinking about it, the second and third matrix movies probably weren’t financial flops, they just didn’t live up to the original

1 did great, 2 did well, 3 broke evenish, 4 flopped

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

more matrices where it's no longer an epic struggle of mankind vs machine but a hijinks fueled odd couple coexistence

blues brothers remake but it's neo and smith

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

It’s been said before and it’s worth saying again: world building is not storytelling

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i definitely agree with that - a lot of stuff, especially genre stuff, really gets burdened by its own lore. i just finished season 3 of "what we do in the shadows" while the first 2 seasons were a lot of vampire tropes put forward to support character comedy, now it's all vampiric councils and deep exploration of the rules of how all the vampire poo poo works that was only introduced for a laugh.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
a bunch of the s3 lameness was covid filming restrictions tbh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ADINSX posted:

agreed, the movie's strength was the aesthetic and the fact that the kung fu effects and vibe it heavily borrows from was so unique at the time in America

I remember getting in a huge argument with this guy who didn't believe me that it was just some dudes pulling on ropes to do the fight scenes

he finally shut up about it when the dvd came out and half the bonus feature material showed a bunch of dudes pulling on ropes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what did he think it was? 100% cgi? or that the actors trained up to a six foot vertical leap?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, what was it like working with dwight schrute?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

what did he think it was? 100% cgi? or that the actors trained up to a six foot vertical leap?
he was convinced it was some heretofore unseen computer technology

it was the first time that kind of budget had been used to do wuxia moves so it does look a lot better than hk movies of the previous decade

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxbZq8Zmd88

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gibson and leary's interviews have held up from what i remember but the editor should have been laughed out of the industry. some of the cg intended to obscure faces is so poorly aligned that there are several frames with clear face shots in them. then they waste two minutes on some foppish lad in red vinyl smoking a cigarette, real cyber poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, it's punk, of course it's badly done

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

2077 is the year of Linux on the Cyber Visor

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
of course the sound doesn't work

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

i don't know how usable it is, but this AR laptop admittedly has a pretty futuristic feel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSBESw3a_tc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

i don't know how usable it is, but this AR laptop admittedly has a pretty futuristic feel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSBESw3a_tc

i refuse to click that thumbnail. also i want you to be banned for posting it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

looks better than the apple igoggles but still incredibly shameful

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
looks neat but there is no way those goggles produce that mockup

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NoneMoreNegative posted:

2077 is the year of Linux on the Cyber Visor

haveblue posted:

looks neat but there is no way those goggles produce that mockup

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

lmao.

i built that as a (functional) cyberdeck prop for a halloween costume last year

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

what are those glasses?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

infernal machines posted:

lmao.

i built that as a (functional) cyberdeck prop for a halloween costume last year

Dang that’s cool

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
happy 25th anniversary! :toot:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chris Knight posted:

happy 25th anniversary! :toot:

:toot:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

what are those glasses?

gutted and rebuilt virtual io i-glasses

they're normally 320x200 w/composite input (3d was done by alternating scanlines). the display controller died, so i pulled the guts and replaced them with a couple 1080p oled panels and a controller off aliexpress.

the optics are cheap and they were designed for 320p, so getting 1080p dialed in and legible was fun. it's not perfect. they need about 1.2x scaling for text to be legible and anything at the edges is rough, but it works.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 31, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

that’s awesome!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

thanks! i enjoyed the project.

i guess i could have just bought a set of nreal air or whatever, but that wasn't quite the look i was going for. plus this meant i had to buy a 3d printer and re-learn cad, so you know, way more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

infernal machines posted:

gutted and rebuilt virtial io i-glasses

they're normally 320x200 w/composite input (3d was done by alternating scanlines). the display controller died, so i pulled the guts and replaced them with a couple 1080p oled panels and a controller off aliexpress.

the optics are cheap and they were designed for 320p, so getting 1080p dialed in and legible was fun. it's not perfect. they need about 1.2x scaling for text to be legible and anything at the edges is rough, but it works.

:eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop: