Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

alright, which one of you is gay weed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Wait, there's a secret gun for gold names only?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, you only get the Knight if you bought the super edition version.
Which you can still buy even though it's not directly listed by itself on steam by clicking on the bundle, but again, not paying $20 for an SMG.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Reiley posted:

Wait, there's a secret gun for gold names only?

It's not that good, objectively. It's basically a worse defender.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You pay for the fancy bunny-ear armour and the arcade machine. The gun is just a bonus.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You pay for the fancy bunny-ear armour and the arcade machine. The gun is just a bonus.

Gold forget the gold shiny lined cape!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BitBasher posted:

It's not that good, objectively. It's basically a worse defender.

I actually like the Knight SMG, but why I liked it is due to "Feels like a better liberator" before you reach the point where "Feels like a worse defender" is even a problem.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I want the arcade machine tbh

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BitBasher posted:

Gold forget the gold shiny lined cape!

This is what peak performance looks like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Trying to get better with the 500kg for bile titans, as it's the only thing that can one shot them reliably if you position it properly.

Orbital Precision Strike kills them very reliably too, but I'd say perfect execution with your kiting and Stun Grenade timing is necessary for that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not my aesthetic, tbh.

Section Z posted:

I actually like the Knight SMG, but why I liked it is due to "Feels like a better liberator" before you reach the point where "Feels like a worse defender" is even a problem.
I prefer the liberator over the defender, but probably part of that is the extremely good sights.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Legit Businessman posted:

If you have the opportunity, try the Sickle. It's an AR that has unlimited ammo* and does more damage than the knight. I have never seen anyone aside from you say anything good about the knight.

*provided you allow the weapon to cool off before the heat sink fries. Even then you've got 6 of them! It's bonkers.

Knight's an SMG which means you can fire it one handed. What this means is if you're running from a pack of little leaping poo poo you can hipfire it to the side or almost directly behind you: allowing you to stay fully mobile while attacking. That's something that the Sickle can't do.

Meanwhile, yeah, Sickle is absolutely insane. Scythe needs a buff to reach anywhere near it. Even just laying off the trigger for half a second here or there means the Sickle basically becomes a slightly less accurate Liberator with 2-3x the ammo in a single reload. If you're even more judicious the ammo efficiency just goes through the roof. You just clear trash bugs like nothing.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Baby T. Love posted:

Orbital Precision Strike kills them very reliably too, but I'd say perfect execution with your kiting and Stun Grenade timing is necessary for that.

Hopefully they fix the bug where red beam strategems will come down on the first point it hits the ground even if it sticks to a bug, and then I can practice hoofing the precision strike onto a BT.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

turn off the TV posted:

that's still super lame though. if anything destroying nests/outposts should increase the strength or frequency of reinforcements that patrols can summon if the devs want to keep some balancing factor

destroying bases is pretty inconsequential. it only starts after destroying half of them, and maxes out at like, 17%.

Finishing primary objective is a 150% boost in comparison.

Sindai posted:

Yeah that's the only one you really feel. I actually kind of wish they'd change it because the vast majority of people aren't aware of why their poo poo suddenly gets rocked hard and they lose all their samples when they try to take out one last nest/base on the way to extracting.

The intuitive way for it to work would be the increase happening during extraction itself.

explaining it in-game sure, but it's a tradeoff: completing the objective is the actual mission complete, extraction is optional (though players want their samples).

So if you rush the objective, great you win, but clearing the map is now harder.

If you delay the objective, clearing the map is easier, but you run the risk of wiping and not even getting mission complete.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Hopefully they fix the bug where red beam strategems will come down on the first point it hits the ground even if it sticks to a bug, and then I can practice hoofing the precision strike onto a BT.

I'm not sure I understand, but the way I do it is to throw the Precision Orbital at the ground in the BT's path towards me and then lob the grenade up at them once they're just about to hit the call-down beam.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baby T. Love posted:

I'm not sure I understand, but the way I do it is to throw the Precision Orbital at the ground in the BT's path towards me and then lob the grenade up at them once they're just about to hit the call-down beam.

Eagle strikes and orbital bombardments are supposed to target the beacan but at the moment they target where the beacan initially sticks to something so if you stick a strategem to a bug and it runs away it'll hit where the bug was instead of where it currently is

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Baby T. Love posted:

Orbital and Eagle strikes get called down where ever the beam first spawns, even if it gets stuck to a pouncer and flies 50m away from its starting point. Hellpod calldowns (like resupply/support weapons) get called down directly on the beam, regardless of where it moves. This means you can stick a resupply beacon to a chargers face and the pod will slam down on top of it.

Orbitals & Eagles working like that was recently added to the 'known bugs' list which means presumably they will be changed to work like hellpod calldowns. This will make cluster bombs more dangerous against small bugs but also make precision strike significantly better against chargers and BTs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I was horrified when a 380 stuck to a charger coming in hot but it didn't follow it around which was actually really disappointing lol.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
So right now the way it works is if you for example throw a blue beam strategem like a supply beacon onto a charger and it sticks to him, when the pod comes down it'll hit him. If you throw a red beam strategem like an orbital precision strike and it sticks to him, if he moves around the strike will just hit where you first threw it, it won't track the charger. This is listed as a known issue, so they're going to fix it at some point. Once that happens, you'll be able to throw a precision strike onto a Titan and if it sticks to him, even if he moves away it'll come right down on him. If they consistently one shot that'll make it a better pick than the railcannon strike as long as you can consistently get it to stick.

Edit: beaten like a Helldiver in a pack of hunters

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JBP posted:

I was horrified when a 380 stuck to a charger coming in hot but it didn't follow it around which was actually really disappointing lol.

Soon(TM). It's a known bug.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I like the Knight well enough, but they should probably fix the ammo issue for it: right now it only gets 5 (out of a total of 7 reserve) magazines from a supply box for some reason, which compounds the issue where it sucks ammo incredibly fast in the first place. It should at the very least get all its ammo back on a supply pickup.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Stability is the clear #1 thing this game needs but beyond that we need flame resistant armor that also has a cigarette you smoke through your helmet’s filter. Also a Mind Discombobulator that looks like a 1950s ray gun that you zap bugs with and it makes them go temporarily aggro at anything around them. Let’s see how they like getting hosed with by chargers. For bots you could have an oversized military grade laptop you use to scramble their 1s and 0s. Devs make this happen please.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’m on PC and have a few friends that will randomly just not be able to connect to any lobby and it’s pretty frustrating. It seems to happen mostly around prime time but it makes zero sense as a server capacity thing because everyone else will be able to quick play or connect to lobbies fine. No amount of tinkering with windows or client settings seems to make any difference. If anyone has fixes here happy to hear them but it feels pretty futile.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Bloopsy posted:

Stability is the clear #1 thing this game needs but beyond that we need flame resistant armor that also has a cigarette you smoke through your helmet’s filter. Also a Mind Discombobulator that looks like a 1950s ray gun that you zap bugs with and it makes them go temporarily aggro at anything around them. Let’s see how they like getting hosed with by chargers. For bots you could have an oversized military grade laptop you use to scramble their 1s and 0s. Devs make this happen please.

I would love a Starcraft II style callin that just drops a dozen brainwashed, modified berserk terminids onto the map

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

raverrn posted:

I would love a Starcraft II style callin that just drops a dozen brainwashed, modified berserk terminids onto the map

This sounds like Arcturus Minsk thinking a name I haven’t thought of in quite a long time. I probably even spelled it wrong. Also “New Confederacy” looking back is one of those “hmmmm” moments.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

LazyMaybe posted:

Yeah, you only get the Knight if you bought the super edition version.
Which you can still buy even though it's not directly listed by itself on steam by clicking on the bundle, but again, not paying $20 for an SMG.

The armor/helmet/cape is objectively the best set in the game. Period. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. :c00lbert:

Also, I cannot unsee a dead rat in the Super Earth logo, lol. I might have issues.

Apple Craft fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 25, 2024

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Hit level 20 the other day, finally managed to unlock difficulty 7 after crashes and failures interrupted previous attempts, can finally start getting those super samples.

I've barely had any chances to fight the bots since every major and personal order has been bug oriented for most of the time I've been playing the game, but this is the general loadout I've gravitated to:

Primary: Defender. Just an all-around solid gun. I tried the Breaker, but the recoil and frequent reloads were inconvenient enough to not make the extra damage. Punisher feels "safer" with the chain hitstun but I like the Defender's higher dps, range and accuracy.
Secondary: Redeemer
Grenades: Impact
Stratagems: Laser Rover, EAT, Eagle Clusters, EMS Mortar. Laser Rover and EATs are just solidly convenient. EMS Mortar locks stuff down, and it's relatively safe compared to any other sentry. Eagle Cluster is the one I'm most thinking of switching out, maybe for 500kg if Bile Titans keep being problems? But I don't have the module that gets me an extra use before rearm yet.
Armor: Democracy Protects. I wish I knew how strong armor actually is at mitigating damage. Some matches I have no issues diving out of every Spewer barf stream without taking any damage, others they may as well have an instant death field. But the Undershirt Democracy's definitely saved my bacon a good many times.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also for bots the Orbital Laser is a good "Man gently caress bothering with this base" button since it can destroy fabricators, artillery towers, the eye of Sauron towers, etc. If you don't feel like looking for samples in one you can just chuck a laser into it and walk and unless the laser finds a heavy to dawdle on it'll take it out for you.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Orbital Laser with a throw-far armor is great on bot missions. Just heave the ball into a problem base and let your friend Big Column deal with it.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
How is a Helldiver like a Panda?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Baby T. Love posted:

EATs Shoots and Leaves?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Baby T. Love posted:

It eats, shoots, and leaves.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

C H I N A

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love when my team takes all anti-armor stratagems so I can take cluster bombs and orbital shotgun and drop them on every. single. patrol and bug burst we aggro.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Baby T. Love posted:

They don't have sex without proper paperwork?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Baby T. Love posted:

Neither one lives long enough to reproduce

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i heard someone firing a liberator or defender or something in the distance on a bot mission earlier, which was weird because the other person in the game had a breaker and was standing right beside me. no clue what the deal with that was.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The pro-scene meta has been Knight+Ballistic Shield for weeks. Intel and C9 both using it on their tanks AND supports for the last two weekend tournaments, and they beat the poo poo out of the competition.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
just you wait until you see my all laser beams build. so long suckers! i rev up my scythe, dagger and rover and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im lying completely dead on the pavement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's a joke because really the rover carries that setup enough to make up for the other 2 lead weights you've got in your hands