Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Watch one of the decon chamber scenes just to experience the ridiculousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s probably one full season’s worth of decent-to-good in the first three seasons of the show and then the fourth season has two genuinely good mini-arcs (Vulcan’s Forge, Terra Prime) and two schlocky-but-fun mini-arcs (Soong augments, Mirror eps).

I won’t fault anyone for not sticking around long enough to find them all though, it’s very much a show just for completionists.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I could be wrong but Enterprise also has some running jokes and relationship stuff that aren't as engaging unless you've been following along which doesn't help.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 23, 2024

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I really don't hate seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise. They're not great, but they're hardly the worst Trek ever made. Season 3? loving trash outside of 1-3 episodes that are honestly pretty good. Season 4 has been reductive but alright so far.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Future Guy should have been a Ferengi who was trying to manipulate events for profit. And he would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for the meddling hu-mons!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Future Guy's a potential future who's trying to manipulate the timeline to ensure his own existence. Since he doesn't exist yet, that's why he doesn't have a name, appearance, or clear motivations!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I don't think I've laughed harder at anything in Trek more than the moment near the beginning of ENT S4 where the 29th century Federation guy shows back up in a tunnel of historical clip art to tell Archer that the Temporal Cold War, actually, is over and you did a good job. I have been playing tabletop roleplaying games for thirty gatdamn years and I have never used or suffered a plot scrubbing as blatant as that one. It is so bad that it verges on coming back around to being good because it's bad in a funny way, like a Tim and Eric skit. But Tim and Eric use better CGI.

The Tripp and Archer Awesome Show Great Job!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
It's so blatantly Manny Coto saying to B&B "Thanks for the job, now gently caress off with this time travel bullshit" and I kind of love it for that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean Braga dumped the Alien Nazi plot into his lap so I don't blame him

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Look, if we can't enjoy a fascist getting phasered, what are we even doing as a thread?

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Doesn't Archer tell future guy to get lost or something like that? That amused me back when I saw it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

LividLiquid posted:

The only thing I remember was hating the Dubya vibes permeating the whole thing and a rad part in the middle of every ship where there's no gravity.

The Dubya White House had that as well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

WhiteHowler posted:

My friend's Trek journey has started, and she's having an absolute blast with TOS. I did not anticipate receiving running commentaries of text messages, but I'm enjoying them quite a bit.

She's keeping an episode log and gave permission to post her Amok Time entry:

McSpanky posted:

Ask her to let you post everything, this is delightful.

She finished her TOS run this week, after adding a couple of episodes (including one infamous one). We watched Wrath of Khan yesterday and she had no idea what was coming.

She said I was welcome to share her log of the experience after removing a couple of identifying comments.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

On CBS Sunday Morning, there was a media interview with a birdwatcher and nature show host who is also a Star Trek fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1E71CwXJhI

Edit: In the video, he credits being a fan of Spock for helping him stay calm and rational during an incident where a dogwalker threatened to lie to the cops that "an African-American male" was threatening her life and her dog, then she called the cops

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 24, 2024

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

galenanorth posted:

On CBS Sunday Morning, there was a media interview with a birdwatcher and nature show host who is also a Star Trek fan

he also was a marvel comics editor and briefly writer, who created one of the first openly gay lead characters in mainstream superhero comics (demon-hunting lesbian)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Squizzle posted:

he also was a marvel comics editor and briefly writer, who created one of the first openly gay lead characters in mainstream superhero comics (demon-hunting lesbian)

Elsa Bloodstone?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And attempted murder by cop victim.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Elsa Bloodstone?

victoria montessi, from darkhold: pages from the book of sin

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oh, poo poo. That was him?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Here's a thing: what is the economy of the Klingon, Romulan and Cardassian empires?
Are they post scarcity too? Do they have money? The answer really should be "No" but the shows never actually tell us anything about it

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Taear posted:

Here's a thing: what is the economy of the Klingon, Romulan and Cardassian empires?
Are they post scarcity too? Do they have money? The answer really should be "No" but the shows never actually tell us anything about it
They have replicators, so if they have an economy at all, it's one borne of artificial scarcity, which would be really interesting to explore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

They have replicators, so if they have an economy at all, it's one borne of artificial scarcity, which would be really interesting to explore.

Can't replicate romulan ale, duh. Nor gold-pressed latinum, presumably.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Arivia posted:

Can't replicate romulan ale, duh. Nor gold-pressed latinum, presumably.

If you try, does the replicator say something like, "I'm sorry, Dave, but I'm afraid I can't do that."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

They probably need to trade more with non-aligned worlds since their empires are much smaller, so currency makes more sense to have.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

drat, "Duet" is so loving good.

I'll go ahead and say it: I'm glad Michelle Forbes passed on DS9, because Kira Nerys is a better character than Ro Laren.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fighting Trousers posted:

I'll go ahead and say it: I'm glad Michelle Forbes passed on DS9, because Kira Nerys is a better character than Ro Laren.

But on the other hand, think of what DS9 could have done for Ro as a character and what an actor of Michelle Forbes' calibre could have pulled off with DS9's writing and directing team behind her.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I mean, yeah, they managed to salvage Worf (and Klingons in general), so sure. But Kira (and Nana Visitor) is just so great I can't imagine DS9 without her.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah DS9 without Kira is a whole different beast that I’m not sure I’d want to see.

Ro’s also a much more serious and dour character than Kira, which would give every character dynamic with her a far different vibe than they have with Kira.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you try, does the replicator say something like, "I'm sorry, Dave, but I'm afraid I can't do that."

If you try to replicate Romulan Ale on Romulus, the replicator just stabs you in the back.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Taear posted:

We know the Klingons use money in some capacity because of "The House of Quark", less direct evidence for the Cardassians (though we've seen them keep their winnings from Quark's games). At the least they can't be as completely post-scarcity/socially supportive as the Federation because of Gul Macet's stories of growing up starving and homeless before the military took over. Just because they have replicators on DS9, a former military station, doesn't mean they're a ubiquitous technology in the civilian or industrial sectors, or as versatile/efficient as Federation designs.

As usual the Romulans come up pretty distant in terms of exploring their social and cultural makeup, but we could extrapolate from Picard and Data's lack of concern for obtaining or replicating convincing currency during their infiltration assignment in "Unification" that the Romulans either don't have a money-based economy or not enough of one to concern them for the duration of their mission.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fighting Trousers posted:

I can agree that Kira was better for DS9, but Ro was better for TNG.

galenanorth posted:

Edit: In the video, he credits being a fan of Spock for helping him stay calm and rational during an incident where a dogwalker threatened to lie to the cops that "an African-American male" was threatening her life and her dog, then she called the cops

As a kid with wildly overwhelming emotions, Spock was also my role model. :unsmith:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taear posted:

Qonos:
Imports: Honor
Exports: Death

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah DS9 without Kira is a whole different beast that I’m not sure I’d want to see.

Ro’s also a much more serious and dour character than Kira, which would give every character dynamic with her a far different vibe than they have with Kira.

DS9 with Ro is something I'd be very eager to see if we could get TV from parallel universes (yes, like in that Rick and Morty episode). It might be worse, it might be better, but gently caress, it would be fascinating to see. Other Star Trek what-ifs in that category include:

- If "The Cage" had been accepted and gone to series, starring Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Pike.
- Star Trek: Phase II.
- ST5 if Shatner had actually been able to bring his full vision to the screen instead of running into every production problem imaginable.
- If Roddenberry had actually gotten to make his craptacular time travel movie about Spock needing to shoot JFK from the grassy knoll to restore the timeline.
- Voyager, starring Genevieve Bujold as Captain Janeway.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

-TNG with Yaphet Kotto as Picard, Jeffrey Combs as Riker, Denise Crosby and Marina Sirtis switched roles and Argyle as the chief engineer

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s no universe in existence where that loser became the permanent chief engineer

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Taear posted:

My theory is that the Klingon obsession with honor and glory is the result of their post-scarcity economy. Can't replicate glory, so it becomes the only thing of value, and the aristocracy needs to really emphasize their virtues to justify their stranglehold on power now that they can't buy loyalty through plunder and resources.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Salami posted:

My theory is that the Klingon obsession with honor and glory is the result of their post-scarcity economy. Can't replicate glory, so it becomes the only thing of value, and the aristocracy needs to really emphasize their virtues to justify their stranglehold on power now that they can't buy loyalty through plunder and resources.
They also seem to enjoy but not require live food, and I recall that one Klingon was disgusted at the prospect of eating replicated/cooked food. However, this could easily be an aristocratic prediliction we see a lot of because Klingon aristos are heavily involved in their military.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

-TNG where Picard wears that awful rug from the screen tests

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
When Data and Picard are on Romulus in "Unification", they're given free soup from a restaurant, because the owner belives them to be secret police and wants to butter them up.

Free Soup suggests that for anybody else, it wouldn't be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Powered Descent posted:

- If Roddenberry had actually gotten to make his craptacular time travel movie about Spock needing to shoot JFK from the grassy knoll to restore the timeline.

Red Dwarf did that and it was great, so he might have been on to something:colbert:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s no universe in existence where that loser became the permanent chief engineer

We have here 18000 letters in support of the amazing Chief Argyl.