Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, it's silly as hell, but you'll hear people talk about Dune like it's written by Joyce.

It kinda surprised me reading it the week before seeing Dunc 2 just how breezy it was. Herbert is pretty oblique in a lot of the in-universe descriptions and obviously there's a reason the first few chapters are just Paul going to school (lol) but the characters are constantly telling the reader exactly how they feel and what they think, and the plot is basically Lawrence of Space Arabia. If you get super hung up on not totally understanding every detail it's going to be a tough time but then I think most books would be borderline unreadable if that were the case.

It pleases me that we live in a world where Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and Dune have all had extremely popular adaptations. Waiting patiently for something like Vacuum Diagrams or Accelerando to enter the cultural imagination (upload those lobsters already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
blindisght was good, if you removed the vampires (lol) from the novel entirely

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
brb taking my "anti-Euclideans" :nallears:

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It kinda surprised me reading it the week before seeing Dunc 2 just how breezy it was. Herbert is pretty oblique in a lot of the in-universe descriptions and obviously there's a reason the first few chapters are just Paul going to school (lol) but the characters are constantly telling the reader exactly how they feel and what they think, and the plot is basically Lawrence of Space Arabia. If you get super hung up on not totally understanding every detail it's going to be a tough time but then I think most books would be borderline unreadable if that were the case.

It pleases me that we live in a world where Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and Dune have all had extremely popular adaptations. Waiting patiently for something like Vacuum Diagrams or Accelerando to enter the cultural imagination (upload those lobsters already).

Accelerando would be so dope.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I loved Blindsight, despite it causing some goons to start dropping "non-Euclidian" all over the place.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The best thing about a big budget Blindsight film would be half the phones in the audience doing weird things after a character says "hey Siri."

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
How'd you find Echopraxia?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Finally got to see this, pretty much exactly what I'd hoped for and expected after the first. I guess if I was to criticise, the ending has Paul just kinda choose to initiate the jihad he spent most of the movie trying to avoid, but then he was mind broken by worm juice and finding out his true heritage and drunk on power by that point.

ram dass in hell posted:

It has been 50 years since star wars
20 since the prequels. Speaking of which, the ending with soldiers marching onto starships reminded me of the end of Attack Of The Clones

Monica Bellucci posted:

I read it and then skipped through it a second time and I'm not certain I did find it

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

The memes must flow:

https://youtu.be/Ko_7HEQOGiw?si=lfoC2SZW6_Rmk-Y2

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

2house2fly posted:

I read it and then skipped through it a second time and I'm not certain I did find it

Didn't care for it or didn't twig the ending?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah I didn't get what was going on, or more why it was. There was a bit early on that talked about how a neuron contributes but doesn't think itself, and that was how much of the story felt with the guy getting dragged along on unclear errands for unclear reasons. Still very enjoyable to read and stuffed with cool concepts, I just ended it feeling dumb :v:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Ending of Echopraxia spoilers brutally short edition: The vampires worked together to free themselves of the 90 degree angle weakness and the last component they needed was a baseline human, our protagonist. Valerie basically impregnates him at the end and what arises is either the first of the new variant species or the thing that carries the seed(s) of same.

Welcome our new overlords.

Er, that's what I got anyway.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

2house2fly posted:

20 since the prequels. Speaking of which, the ending with soldiers marching onto starships reminded me of the end of Attack Of The Clones

I thought the exact same thing lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just finally got to watch it yesterday. I dunno, it's good? Just like the first part, really liked it. If there's one thing that bothered me is the pretty abrupt 180 at the end, I don't recall how it's been handled in the book but it didn't feel like Paul's motivation there was sufficiently explained to go from 0 to jihad like that:

2house2fly posted:

Finally got to see this, pretty much exactly what I'd hoped for and expected after the first. I guess if I was to criticise, the ending has Paul just kinda choose to initiate the jihad he spent most of the movie trying to avoid, but then he was mind broken by worm juice and finding out his true heritage and drunk on power by that point.

Are they actually making the third movie? IIRC after the first part there was even doubt they'll finish the book. Now I really want to see the next part!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Monica Bellucci posted:

Ending of Echopraxia spoilers brutally short edition: The vampires worked together to free themselves of the 90 degree angle weakness and the last component they needed was a baseline human, our protagonist. Valerie basically impregnates him at the end and what arises is either the first of the new variant species or the thing that carries the seed(s) of same.

Welcome our new overlords.

Er, that's what I got anyway.
Haven't read it in a while but I'm pretty sure that's Portia at the end controlling Valerie; now I kinda wanna re-read it.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Less Fat Luke posted:

Haven't read it in a while but I'm pretty sure that's Portia at the end controlling Valerie; now I kinda wanna re-read it.

Same ending as far as I can tell, I said the baseline was the last thing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Scags McDouglas posted:

I have an aging SmoothBrain but I don't recall that being different than the books. Harah was classically feminine I guess but Chani took over Paul's challengers to save time, women were straight up football throwing their babies in battle for distractions and Alia (toddler) was commanding a division when she was captured.

Yeah Herbert's gender politics are weird and outdated at best, but the Fremen are characterized as pretty egalitarian through sheer pragmatic ruthlessness.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

kalel posted:

I thought the exact same thing lol

Over, this Landsraad is.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah Herbert's gender politics are weird and outdated at best, but the Fremen are characterized as pretty egalitarian through sheer pragmatic ruthlessness.

See also, the Kurdish these days.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

mobby_6kl posted:

Just finally got to watch it yesterday. I dunno, it's good? Just like the first part, really liked it. If there's one thing that bothered me is the pretty abrupt 180 at the end, I don't recall how it's been handled in the book but it didn't feel like Paul's motivation there was sufficiently explained to go from 0 to jihad like that:

The condensed timeline meant he couldn’t have kids in this movie so the motivation was lost. If my memory is right, anyway.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

There was something about the whole Giedi Prime bit, I think the announcer's voice and alien language plus obviously the subject matter, that reminded me of the loving podracing scene in Epsiode 1. They even have Jabba (the Baron). It was like an extremely hosed up, adult version of that.

Now I'm thinking maybe this is more Lucas cribbing from Dune again, who knows.

edit: Feyd Rautha, sticking his tongue out after murking a dude: now this is podracing

edit again: if they did an adaptation of Blindsight/Echopraxia we could do a round 2 on people wanting to be like the vampires from Twilight but absolutely insane.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 24, 2024

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Now all I wanna see is Ben Quadinaros fuckin dudes up in the arena with a 4 bladed sword.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BastardySkull posted:

There was something about the whole Giedi Prime bit, I think the announcer's voice and alien language plus obviously the subject matter, that reminded me of the loving podracing scene in Epsiode 1. They even have Jabba (the Baron). It was like an extremely hosed up, adult version of that.

Now I'm thinking maybe this is more Lucas cribbing from Dune again, who knows.

edit: Feyd Rautha, sticking his tongue out after murking a dude: now this is podracing

edit again: if they did an adaptation of Blindsight/Echopraxia we could do a round 2 on people wanting to be like the vampires from Twilight but absolutely insane.

Heh, it's definitely one of those things where the influences go both ways, the Baron in the movie is clearly influenced by both Jabba and Darth Vader, as both of those characters likely were influenced by Dune in th first place. The Baron's huge cape even evokes a sandworm- and his great-grandson.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
An idea I got from TVtropes of all places, but pretty striking: the Harkonnen are shown to basically have their populace treat them as sacred to maintain their power, and Paul embracing his status as the prophecied Messiah is basically embracing the Harkonnen way of ruling.

Similarly, as the Atreides heir, wedding the Emperor Corrino's daughter, and the last surviving male of the Harkonnen, he's basically claiming the throne of every galactic superpower at once, as well as ruling Arrakis. Like claiming rule of the USA, Russia and China all at once.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Attack of the Clones ends with "Begun, the clone wars have" and I'm pretty sure the last line in this is "the holy war has begun" :thunk:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah he's linked to the Harkonnens as well by making the Emperor kiss his ring, similar to how Feyd Rautha made Rabbah kiss his feet

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Attack of the Clones ends with "Begun, the clone wars have" and I'm pretty sure the last line in this is "the holy war has begun" :thunk:

Don't forget the scene where the Baron says "Nooooooo" and throws the Emperor down an airshaft a worm.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Buttchocks posted:

Don't forget the scene where the Baron says "Nooooooo" and throws the Emperor down an airshaft a worm.

Jessica has a literal moment realizing the antagonist is her father lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Any video editors itt? I need to make a request

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I have no idea why but for some reason Feyd's facial expressions during the arena fight kept reminding me of Christian Bale lol.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

BastardySkull posted:

Posting on a teacher’s forum about how three of the kids in my eighth-grade class only ever talk in the present tense

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kazzah posted:

Posting on a teacher’s forum about how three of the kids in my eighth-grade class only ever talk in the present tense

child in the back row is wearing weird wrap around sunglasses and he's making some kind of bizarre clicking noise in his throat. you can't explain why but a sense of impending doom is crushing you. you have to fight an urge to hide under your desk.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Kazzah posted:

Break out the graphs man save yourself. Or make em stand facing a corner

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They should make a spinoff film about the people who decided that resurrecting the hyper intelligent human predator species was a good idea.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
*muttering*something something COVID something something

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

distortion park posted:

They should make a spinoff film about the people who decided that resurrecting the hyper intelligent human predator species was a good idea.

Ned Faro.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I have no idea why but for some reason Feyd's facial expressions during the arena fight kept reminding me of Christian Bale lol.

Austin Butler managed a lot of expressive acting with just his eyes on the second half.

That's the mercenary that riled the emperor! Hell yeah. He just stabbed my Uncle in the neck! gently caress yes. Fight to the death?! Bout time!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

distortion park posted:

They'll optimize our spreadsheets like never before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Finally caught Dune 2, I enjoyed it. Definitely should have rewatched the first part first. Though I agree Paul going all in on the holy war at the end was weird, I guess thats what happens when you huff your own farts spice. Though I would have started with purging the BGs first. Or last change their dress code to not obviously evil

If there is a Messiah film incoming, how thats gonna work with Chani hating Paul's guts. And no creepy baby Alia yet.