Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If was as easy as magical backdoors we wouldn't need spies

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
will thius make graphic card prices go up or down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I can't imagine giving a poo poo about the Chinese government's IT policy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bump_fn posted:

will thius make graphic card prices go up or down

i hope it goes down. give me 4090s for $100

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

demand will be lower and supply will continue to be artificially low so they’ll probably just jack the prices up

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

i mean she’s a little old for him so no surprise there

Sagebrush posted:

I can't imagine giving a poo poo about the Chinese government's IT policy

right?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I appreciate them picking an unimpressed Sydney photo to contrast with the impressed Jodie

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Fabricated posted:

In Snowden's book he said basically that a lot of traditional spying has been replaced with magical backdoors. :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Internet Old One posted:

In Snowden's book he said basically that a lot of traditional spying has been replaced with magical backdoors. :(
there probably isn't a magic backdoor in all processors. It's more likely to be in the OS or software.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fabricated posted:

well, they got a good majority of their spies killed a while ago due to shoddy security

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fabricated posted:

there probably isn't a magic backdoor in all processors. It's more likely to be in the OS or software.

why not both?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

why not both?
I would want my backdoor to be something I could potentially patch and change if someone found or plugged it. Firmware on peripherals is another better vector for this stuff than compromising the CPU itself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
new york first appellate division just gave trump 10 days to post $175m bond.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i give him 12 days

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr. Nice! posted:

new york first appellate division just gave trump 10 days to post $175m bond.
ah, well, nevertheless,

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wow, the system failed to hold a rich white powerful guy accountable again. what are the odds

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

he's still going to come down so hard on all these people when he's president again

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

b b b but donald we gave you all the time you needed so the financers we set you up with could get the money together

Apr 7, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

b b b but donald we gave you all the time you needed so the financers we set you up with could get the money together

They're going easy on a guy they never intended to punish in any realistic way and he's too stupid and vindictive to understand that and he's absolutely going to destroy them this time next year

and it's going to be tremendously funny because they should have known better

Apr 7, 2003

ahahahahhahaa

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
he just got the bond requirement reduced to $175 million, because of course he did. boooooooo

BOOOOOOOOOOO

he has 10 days, but i bet it won't take that long

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

didnt notice tori got a new av at first and wondered for a quick second "who da fuq is tori-posting in the hellworld thread" lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

he's still going to come down so hard on all these people when he's president again

the whole point of wielding political power is to destroy your enemies, isn't it?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it would be funny if the plan is to reduce the bond so that they can just quickly rubberstamp a denial on the appeal but lol lmao nah

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

he just got the bond requirement reduced to $175 million, because of course he did. boooooooo

BOOOOOOOOOOO

he has 10 days, but i bet it won't take that long

Commence Wriggling.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

Commence Wriggling.

i don't think he'll wriggle out of a conviction, but if he gets to delay the judgement long enough (basically the one thing his lawyers are somehow very good at) then all he has to do is wait for truth social to IPO, then he gets billions (on paper anyway) and then he can easily cover the fine, making this a useless yet embarrassing thing that will surely make trump bring an iron fist down on the state of new york when he is reelected

otoh if they are doing this just to deny the appeal on an expedited schedule, then he's still hosed. same if there's a 6-month wait on him being able to liquidate his shares, they'd probably be near worthless by then since it's a meme stonk. that's probably his worst case scenario at this point, which loving sucks because he gets to keep his shiny gaudy garbage

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 25, 2024

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So can THIS also be appealed?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fabricated posted:

So can THIS also be appealed?

by NYAG? i don't think so

she can push the appellate division to slam on the gas after he posts the bond but she probably won't. although having had first hand experience with that particular court they do move pretty fast for a court anyway

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

probably be near worthless by then since it's a meme stonk.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/topstocks/gamestop-stock-is-having-its-best-day-since-last-year-earnings-are-tuesday/ar-BB1kv9ZA

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

yeah but gamestop arguably has useful products and services. aint nobody using truth social

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Beeftweeter posted:

by NYAG? i don't think so

she can push the appellate division to slam on the gas after he posts the bond but she probably won't. although having had first hand experience with that particular court they do move pretty fast for a court anyway
I mean by Trump. Can he just say he's not paying this either and we just repeat this in 10 days?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

post hole digger posted:

Commence Wriggling.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fabricated posted:

I mean by Trump. Can he just say he's not paying this either and we just repeat this in 10 days?

lol no. he's already appealed the judgement multiple times, and one of the things his lawyers had suggested was a lower/partial bond (which the court seems to have granted, although i don't know on what merits) because he apparently genuinely didn't have the ability to pay the original one

so if he claims he can't pay the amount his lawyers suggested, they will probably just vacate the decision and return to the original ruling so the state can get its due windfall. even though it seems they're being overly deferential to trump here, they do try to be fair to everyone (even trump). so if he's like "yeah i'm not paying this either", well, courts hate being gamed like that

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

post hole digger posted:

Commence Wriggling.

[desire-to-know-more-intensifies.gif] but it's trump's face and this caption

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kenny Logins posted:

ah, well, nevertheless,

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

aren't they replacing them in favor of the zhaoxin pumped-up cyrix/VIA crap? their performance sucks and VIA is a taiwanese company, that's not going to work very well lol

their other option for x86 seems to be hygon, which is... just a modified ryzen, which will probably work better but kinda grinds against the "no AMD" thing

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I thought they had some homegrown RISC-V stuff too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fabricated posted:

I thought they had some homegrown RISC-V stuff too

well sure, but afaik the performance sucks and they probably have billions of x86 machines running across the country. not necessarily owned by the government of course, but i bet they have at least a million. it's a big country and they have more money than we do