Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s a cell phone that can yell in your ear and distract you every time you try to concentrate on learning something

There’s a math Olympics contest coming up that will determine if you live or die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lmao episode 5 was hilarious because of how over the top and fake it was. Yeah I still think the opening scene in episode 1 was super hard to watch cause it looked absolutely real.

My friend in China is ranting about how the Netflix version is poo poo and one of the examples he sent me was a screenshot of the cheap cgi of the Judgement Day slices coming apart

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
More gems from my friend that made me laugh

I didn’t have a good answer for him. He loves the books so I don’t think any answer I could give would be sufficient

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So what happened between episode 5 and 6? The alien supercomputer just … disappeared?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lmao episode 5 was hilarious because of how over the top and fake it was. Yeah I still think the opening scene in episode 1 was super hard to watch cause it looked absolutely real.

The tone of that opening scene was so odd though. Like they killed him by mistake by taking things too far rather than public execution being a common ending to Struggle sessions. 2 million people died due to them, give or take.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Boris Galerkin posted:

So what happened between episode 5 and 6? The alien supercomputer just … disappeared?

Huh? There was no indication that any of that would be going away.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

PriorMarcus posted:

The tone of that opening scene was so odd though. Like they killed him by mistake by taking things too far rather than public execution being a common ending to Struggle sessions. 2 million people died due to them, give or take.

I thought it was an odd choice to have his wife strongly denounce him in front of him and his daughter, but then there are no shots of her reacting to his killing. It seems like an obvious thing to do as a contrast to Ye Wenjie's reaction. Then there's the fact that the mom/wife is never mentioned again as far as I remember. Like, how does Ye Wenjie feel about the fact that her mom sold out her dad? What happened to her mom after the struggle session?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Huh? There was no indication that any of that would be going away.

the eye of Mordor thing just disappeared between episodes 5 and 6

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I thought it just folded itself back up and returned to the charger or whatever

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Steve Yun posted:

More gems from my friend that made me laugh

I didn’t have a good answer for him. He loves the books so I don’t think any answer I could give would be sufficient

i guess just say they read the books and thought they weren't very good so changed these things to make them better?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

FPyat posted:

Man, it seems a lot of people are totally befuddled as to why the Chinese censors would approve a work that depicts the Cultural Revolution negatively.

I've seen a non-zero number of American reviews baffled by this. I'm trying to think of an American equivalent, like a Chinese vlogger walking down the street reviewing Django Unchained and just dumbfounded that an American movie acknowledged that slavery existed.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I remember reading the books so spottily that everything is a nice surprise. One thing that strikes me as something I'm sure was explained away in the book was when the aliens gave away they can't handle metaphor I figured that was going to be a human advantage.

Like "aww poo poo they're going to Darmok at Jalad these motherfuckers."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I feel like the whole 400 years thing kinda takes an edge off the whole stoy and it's hard to get all that invested in the stakes. And I thought the show was pretty good and well acted. I'm just not dying to see what comes next if they do a season 2 to way I am with some other shows.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I feel like the whole 400 years thing kinda takes an edge off the whole stoy and it's hard to get all that invested in the stakes. And I thought the show was pretty good and well acted. I'm just not dying to see what comes next if they do a season 2 to way I am with some other shows.

I think the final scene of the last episode dropped the ball. If they wanted to pique curiosity for a Season 2, they could have easily shown the 200-year time jump and really got people's imaginations going.

Sorry, I guess I am offering a spoiler for a viewer who probably doesn't want spoilers. Just saying the books offer ways to build the stakes that the show kinda just decided to barely tease when they were right there for the taking.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 25, 2024

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Why don't make the whole space parachute out of the black boxindestructible nano fiber?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Why don't make the whole space parachute out of the black boxindestructible nano fiber?

Why did it have to be a cable snapping? Just felt deflating. That thing was designed to not only withstand proximity to nuclear blasts, but also benefit from them. Just have bomb No. 4, say, nick the edge of the hole in the middle of the sail, and this is enough to knock the whole thing off course to miss bomb No. 5. I dunno, just spitballing here. There could be a nice, "Really, we just threw away billions of dollars thinking that would work?" moment. And also, just for once in a TV show or movie, letting the earlier scene where the room of closed-minded experts scoff at the protagonist's harebrained idea actually be a justifiable scoff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Why did it have to be a cable snapping? Just felt deflating. That thing was designed to not only withstand proximity to nuclear blasts, but also benefit from them. Just have bomb No. 4, say, nick the edge of the hole in the middle of the sail, and this is enough to knock the whole thing off course to miss bomb No. 5. I dunno, just spitballing here. There could be a nice, "Really, we just threw away billions of dollars thinking that would work?" moment. And also, just for once in a TV show or movie, letting the earlier scene where the room of closed-minded experts scoff at the protagonist's harebrained idea actually be a justifiable scoff.

I went back and Wade has an earlier throwaway line about how they need the project because even if it fails it will advance several tech trees by 100 years. I agree spending that much time for a Checkov's Brain subplot felt like a letdown anyway, in the show and in us putting up with it.

One more thing I was wondering during the Sohpons part If it can unfurl it's dimensions and cover the whole planet like that, and that wasn't an illusion, why don't they just use that to block the sun until 99% of humans die from the disruption of weather/food?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I sort of understood the nanofiber thing with the ship because apparently even if a hard drive is in a few pieces, as long as you have the pieces then intelligence services have the means to reconstruct the data. And those wires were also at a distance apart where there was a good chance it wouldn't slice through the hard drive, and only kill the people. However the ship catching fire because of those wires was a bit of a problem, cause depending on where the fires were that could have destroyed the hard drive. Or it could've gotten crushed by something.

I read the first book some years ago so I don't remember any specifics aside from the first chapter. But I thought this adaption was decent. I never read the following books but I heard they get really weird and also that the second book's translation quality is a lot worse than the first and third. So it would be cool to be able to experience it through the show. Its not a great show, but its entertaining enough. The Game of Thrones creators are still decent at adapting stories from books into good tv.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zsNCbFD5_Y

Positive review from the science fiction book review YouTuber who first got me into Three body Problem

Pretty thorough and thoughtful

FPyat posted:

Man, it seems a lot of people are totally befuddled as to why the Chinese censors would approve a work that depicts the Cultural Revolution negatively.

Funny to see these one after another, since the reviewer explicitly calls out the removal of the struggle session in the TenCent version as being an act of Chinese censorship. I was surprised the reviewer thinks the struggle session was an important element of Ye Wenjie's character that needed to be seen on-screen, but that changing the identity of her daughter's father was no big deal. To me, the culmination of Ye Wenjie's arc is the roller coaster of her changing relationships, both to other individuals as well as to humanity as a whole. Everything that happens with her husband and daughter is really key to that, and establishes her as a fundamentally tragic figure for being stuck with the consequences of choices that seemed more reasonable, or at least unavoidable, when she first made them rather than after the fact.

Netflix changing that so Ye Wenjie just had sex with the first white guy she ever met seems really gross by comparison. It adds nothing to the story, and it coming up at all is very much a blink and miss moment. I think a more casual viewer not familiar with the book might be surprised to learn that one character was even supposed to be Ye Wenjie's daughter at all because it really just doesn't have anything to do with anything alongside the other changes made to the story.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is that big head from Silicon Valley?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I went back and Wade has an earlier throwaway line about how they need the project because even if it fails it will advance several tech trees by 100 years. I agree spending that much time for a Checkov's Brain subplot felt like a letdown anyway, in the show and in us putting up with it.

One more thing I was wondering during the Sohpons part If it can unfurl it's dimensions and cover the whole planet like that, and that wasn't an illusion, why don't they just use that to block the sun until 99% of humans die from the disruption of weather/food?

Re: the project failing, it parallels what happens in the games, where they fail each time but still learn something and advance their knowledge.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Considering they put a bit of books 2 and 3 into this season, I wonder how they will pace the rest of it.

General book spoilers and speculation about how they'd break up the remainder in to tv show seasons:
The remainder of the second book seems straightforwardly another season, although that would pretty much be only Luo and none of the other main characters they've spent time on this season. But they've already touched on everything else through the Common Era aside from the second half of book 2. Maybe they'll compress this into like half a season or just a couple episodes?

You could milk a whole season out of the Deterrence Era, maybe even spread it across two with ample cliffhanger opportunities in there.

So maybe a third season would be the latter part of the Deterrence Era plus the Broadcast Era, though I bet the fairy tales would just be one episode and decoding them part of another. Alternatively they could get all the way through the Broadcast Era in a second season if they keep moving at this pace.

Bunker Era would make for a decent self contained season alone, but I don't know if they'd stretch the Galaxy Era into a standalone fifth season. Or both are the 3rd and final season.

I hope they spread things out a bit but then doesn't Netflix tend to cancel shows after just a couple seasons?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 25, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I need to think about the show cause I just finished it. I've never read the books but I've read various spoilers here and there on the books (from outside this thread).

All I can say so far is that it's too awfully loving convenient that all of the main cast are all friends and also happen to be the most important people alive. Like the world is too big for this to happen.

And who the gently caress is Saul even? I literally can't think of a single thing he did in the show other than smoke weed.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

All I can say so far is that it's too awfully loving convenient that all of the main cast are all friends and also happen to be the most important people alive. Like the world is too big for this to happen.
This feels like the result of the showrunners' need to establish a cast in the first season and carry largely the same characters all the way though the story. This is sorta similar to the problem tv had committing to the Foundation series adaptation, but so far it's handled better here.

They've set Saul up to be a character that will matter in the next season. That character wasn't in the first book but he's here so that the tv show can have all these major characters established in the first season and be friends, as a substitute for how thin they were in the books. Hence most of this season he's just sort of around being buddies with other main characters.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 25, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I need to think about the show cause I just finished it. I've never read the books but I've read various spoilers here and there on the books (from outside this thread).

And who the gently caress is Saul even? I literally can't think of a single thing he did in the show other than smoke weed.

The book characters are even thinner than the show.

The show would have to completely cycle in a new cast every season if it followed the book, which is probably a bad idea. They're all shoved together because several of them will have a lot more to do later but need to be introduced now so there isn't some brand new character halfway through Season 2 who is now the most important person in the world despite not being in the story at all up till then. For example Thomas Wade is extremely important but doesn't show up until Book 3.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 25, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I mean it sort of makes sense that they’re all the students of Vera, who is the daughter of the person who contacted the trisolar/san ti, and who was in that position due to being a super scientist. Saul worked with her at the neutrino detector before she killed herself and the project cancelled. They were all super science students even if not all of them became super scientists.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

The book characters are even thinner than the show.

The show would have to completely cycle in a new cast every season if it followed the book, which is probably a bad idea. They're all shoved together because several of them will have a lot more to do later but need to be introduced now so there isn't some brand new character halfway through Season 2 who is now the most important person in the world despite not being in the story at all up till then. For example Thomas Wade is extremely important but doesn't show up until Book 3.
same is true for Cheng, who they sort of also made into a combination of the Book 3 Cheng character and a different Cheng from Book 1

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yeah, I'm willing to let that slide in a 1915 West Point "class the stars fell on" kind of way. Though it would have been nice to see them go their different ways, maybe form their own circles of powerful smart folks working the problem.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Yeah, I'm willing to let that slide in a 1915 West Point "class the stars fell on" kind of way. Though it would have been nice to see them go their different ways, maybe form their own circles of powerful smart folks working the problem.

Vera’s death actually brought them back together in the beginning. Weird how much stuff I’m remembering through this conversation, but it’s actually decently explained I guess!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Just a lol that the space monsters who can remotely gently caress with your eyes identified a stoner physicist as a threat and then just threw a few Teslas at him and called it a day. Maybe bring down the plane he boarded immediately after? It's literally established they have the power to do so in the same episode.

Edit: Or send your assassin a hud message "suit bulletproof - aim for head"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 25, 2024

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is that big head from Silicon Valley?

He's in charge of the day-to-day liaisons.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
[/quote]

The adaptation really hosed up the Sophons in general.

In the book, they are omniscient spies, but can't do very much to the physical world besides loving with particle colliders and making people see things.

They also have a vested interest in remaining covert as long as possible.

Netflix made them able to effortlessly hack any computer system and willing to act openly, which begs all sorts of head-scratching questions.

Why, after Saul narrowly escapes assassination by car, is Shi's first instinct to rush him onto the highway and a plane? If they're trying to sow chaos and halt progress, why not take down the electrical and communication grids? Why not fire cruise missiles into every government building, or start WW3?

I think the short answer to your question is that the Sophons are actually not dense enough to block sunlight (they just appear to), but they certainly seem capable of 800 other methods of mass extermination that they don't use, because it would disrupt all of the boring, interpersonal drama.

confused posted:

Am I missing something? Was this incident in the book?

Yes.

In the book, there is a much longer discussion of the factors and options.

The issue is that Mark Jacobs is ready and willing to destroy the data the moment he realizes the ship is under attack, though he is more expecting this from rival factions of the ETO (from whom he has jealously hoarded the messages) than shadowy government forces.

The planners don't know the layout of the ship or where the data is stored, so any conventional attack they can come up with will either risk destroying the data (a bomb or missile) or give Jacobs time to destroy it himself (seal team 6 or gas).

They settle on the nanofiber in part because of its strangeness: the guards are looking for helicopters and gilly suits, not invisible wires slicing through the ship at the speed of its engines.

If the wires do bisect a hard drive, they can still retrieve the data.

It's still a little silly, but there's at least a chain of logic behind. Also, what happens on the ship is off page, so we don't see that Jacobs had ten minutes of panicked fleeing from bad CGI before dying.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 25, 2024

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

FPyat posted:

I read in an article that the author originally put the struggle session scene as the opening in the book like it is in the show but his editors made him move it and bury it in the middle because they believed opening with it would be too much for the censors but having it in the middle would be much more likely to pass. The author gave D&D his blessing to open with the scene as that was always his intent.

The bigger plot hole here is that she was flipping out on the plane ride triple checking her calculations because they had to be exactly right to the nanosecond or it wouldn't work but seconds before launch the dude is like "oh yeah I added those 18 grams of seeds without your knowledge" and while tiny that would have been enough to throw things off over 300 detonations.

I actually enjoyed the show despite so much of the story being dumb and full of plot holes. I went into the books years ago with super high expectations based off all the buzz and was very disappointed at what amounted to a very dumb person's idea of hard sci-fi riddled with poo poo that falls apart with the smallest application of logic. I feel like a large part of the books original success was the novelty of a chinese sci-fi epic, it wasn't outright bad but didn't deserve the pedestal it was placed on imo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This show felt like some people heard about some cool science/tech concepts and then didn't look into it any further than the idea that it was cool. Like the human computer in the game. "Load program do the mcguffin dot exe". What the hell does that mean to a bunch of people holding signs? Someone heard that a computer is a bunch of 1s and 0s happening so the human computer is a bunch of people rotating their signs back and forth. How do they know when to flip their signs? Who knows, but it looks neat I guess. Then you have the other players in each level that I guess were other scientists from around the world? Why were they such douchebags?

If they make the other seasons I guess I'll watch but this felt like a big let down by the time it ended.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Then you have the other players in each level that I guess were other scientists from around the world? Why were they such douchebags?

They partly exist as foils to the characters who win the game, to demonstrate the kinds of qualities the designers are weeding out. They also present shallowly so we can slowly grow to understand that they're people and not just random in-game impediments to progress.

Also they were funny.

Like, I dunno, it's not exactly out of character for gamers to be douchebags.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

This show felt like some people heard about some cool science/tech concepts and then didn't look into it any further than the idea that it was cool. Like the human computer in the game. "Load program do the mcguffin dot exe". What the hell does that mean to a bunch of people holding signs? Someone heard that a computer is a bunch of 1s and 0s happening so the human computer is a bunch of people rotating their signs back and forth. How do they know when to flip their signs? Who knows, but it looks neat I guess. Then you have the other players in each level that I guess were other scientists from around the world? Why were they such douchebags?

If they make the other seasons I guess I'll watch but this felt like a big let down by the time it ended.
They definitely didn't explain it in the show, but the human computer works by logic gates. If you know you are an AND gate, you flip your flag to white if both dudes in front of you are white. Dude behinds you reacts to your flag as their input to their gate. And so on for different kinds of gates and different kinds of inputs. Combining huge amounts of those makes a computer.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Can you run Doom on it though?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BastardySkull posted:

Can you run Doom on it though?

Yes. Technically. The user interface and the processing times would be a nightmare though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm commuting to work now so I've had some time to process:

The whole concept of (eps 8) wallfacers seems really loving dumb. Like, "Oh here are 3 people that we are empowering to do anything and everything needed to defeat you aliens. Anything they need they will get, no questions asked, no justifications needed. If they want a nuclear warhead, we will give it to them. If they want money for hookers and blackjack, and forget the blackjack, then they will get their money. They are the three most important minds we have and will be accountable to nobody. Here are their full names and faces. Surely nobody will take advantage of this fact by seeking out their family. Surely the aliens that can be anywhere and everywhere all at once and are listening right now won't just murder them in any of the million ways that they could manifest to make happen.

It also ignores the fact that one of humanity's strength is language and communication. Being able to work together over long (centuries) periods of time.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just to answer all the people asking why the siphon can’t stay unfolded and block out the sun: it’s because when it’s unfolded it’s easy to destroy by just blowing holes in it