Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

"A fateful decision in 1960s China echoes across space and time to a group of scientists in the present, forcing them to face humanity's greatest threat."

Netflix is releasing their adaptation of The Three Body Problem, the first book in Cixin Liu's Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy, on 3/21/24. It's a blend of mind-bending science and cosmic horror. This version is by the team behind Game of Thrones and features several cast members from that series.

I'm a huge fan of the books and I'm pretty hopeful about this version, especially with the release of the new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogSbMD6EcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lj99Uz1d50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Tencent released the Chinese TV version earlier in 2023, with plans to release the sequel, The Dark Forest, in 2025, as well as a spin-off about Da Shi. It's very well done and faithful to the source material, but quite a bit bloated at 30 episodes. It's available on Amazon Prime and YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqK2oDPzfx4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m a little worried but also hopeful

Game of Thrones started sucking because they ran out of source material. But 3 Body is a finished work so who knows, maybe they’ll do well with a complete roadmap

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
3BP Yayyy!!!

For those who haven't read the books, try to go into this one blind. I know that the books were a better experience with minimal story knowledge, and the first book in particular is written as something of a mystery.

That also includes avoiding the Hollywood Reporter article where they spoil major reveals in the first book. This is one case where Netflix's release structure is for the best, because if this were released weekly the whole thing would be spoiled for everyone by episode 3.

Actually, before we proceed with discussion, are the aliums a spoiler? I mean, they form a core part of the mystery so I'd think they are, but they're so so obvious and it seems that everyone knows about them before reading the books. Netflix's marketing is committed to the borderline impossible task of hiding that it's an alien invasion story.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hello my name is…

Wayne Meow

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Updog Scully posted:

Actually, before we proceed with discussion, are the aliums a spoiler? I mean, they form a core part of the mystery so I'd think they are, but they're so so obvious and it seems that everyone knows about them before reading the books. Netflix's marketing is committed to the borderline impossible task of hiding that it's an alien invasion story.

Yeah, I mean, they're being pretty upfront with that reveal it seems. :shrug: but I'm probably going to lean a little bit on the keep-spoilers-spoilers end.

I was a bit on the fence about the project until this most recent trailer. They're obviously taking huge liberties, but I think it might be for the better (and Cixin Liu signed off on it). As long as they hit the major plot points it should be awesome, and it looks like they're already weaving in stuff from the other two books.

e: also just wanna add, for anyone who hasn't seen read it, I definitely recommend going in blind as well. I watched the Tencent series before reading the first book, so all of the reveals ended up being wild.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 10, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Huh

Rian Johnson, Brad Pitt and Rosalind Pike are executive producers

I wonder how much influence they have

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

i'm getting storm of swords flashbacks. where some of the Good stuff is going to take a while to get to, and there is this feeling of trigger-happy tension where th show just wants to quickly get to it. i love them all but its pretty common sentiment that book 2 is the best, which means this ISN'T going to be cancelled but will have a less energetic/funded season 3/book 3 unless it picks up a fandom a la a GoT. i love this series and wish everybody involved in this production all the best for a successful show.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Lampsacus posted:

i'm getting storm of swords flashbacks. where some of the Good stuff is going to take a while to get to, and there is this feeling of trigger-happy tension where th show just wants to quickly get to it. i love them all but its pretty common sentiment that book 2 is the best, which means this ISN'T going to be cancelled but will have a less energetic/funded season 3/book 3 unless it picks up a fandom a la a GoT. i love this series and wish everybody involved in this production all the best for a successful show.

Not having read Storm of Swords, what did they do different to the adaptation

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i think i read this book

it's mostly about a captive scientist lady who is recording a bunch of poo poo
and turns out, it comes from aliens
then the messages that come from the planet are this bizarre fantasy story with many eras
then i forget what happens

is that three body story

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

No that was The Lake House

It sounds like 3 Body Problem

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 11, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

discoukulele posted:

e: also just wanna add, for anyone who hasn't seen read it, I definitely recommend going in blind as well. I watched the Tencent series before reading the first book, so all of the reveals ended up being wild.

So unbookmark the thread immediately is what you're saying? I can count the number of TV IV book adaptation threads that aren't full of goons posting nudge-nudge wink-wink spoilers on no hands. This one made it 24 hours. See you guys in a few months.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Not having read Storm of Swords, what did they do different to the adaptation
they do things differently but I'm alluding to the red wedding and how SoS is seen as the best got novel. not really thinking about how they adapt it to be different

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

counterfeitsaint posted:

So unbookmark the thread immediately is what you're saying? I can count the number of TV IV book adaptation threads that aren't full of goons posting nudge-nudge wink-wink spoilers on no hands. This one made it 24 hours. See you guys in a few months.

I mean, I don't know what you're expecting here. There's nothing else to discuss really, it isn't out yet.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Not too excited about this being done by the GoT people. Still could be good though.

roomtone posted:

i think i read this book

it's mostly about a captive scientist lady who is recording a bunch of poo poo
and turns out, it comes from aliens
then the messages that come from the planet are this bizarre fantasy story with many eras
then i forget what happens

is that three body story

Yeah that sounds exactly like the books but when you try to recall them shortly after an electroconvulsive therapy session. You are in the right thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Naw I think he’s describing that movie Frequency

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
gently caress yeah, Ramin Djawadi confirmed as the ost composer :sickos:

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Some of the score was already released, you can hear it on https://donotanswer.co.

It sounds pretty drat great so I'm not surprised it's Djawadi :D

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I read the book a year or so ago and despite the hype it just didn't grab me. I remember more about the opening bits involving the bad times of the chinese revolution than I do about anything else. I found the concepts in the book a bit hard to visualize or something. However the trailer looks amazing, I'm looking forward to this series.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I love that American productions just have the best cameras and lighting. We will always dominate in making things look like a ton of money was thrown at it

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Did anyone watch the Chinese 3 Body Problem? It's free on Tencent's YouTube with subtitles.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah I liked it a lot despite the obvious tv budget, some stilted delivery and maybe some pacing issues

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
glowing tweet from an SXSW organizer who has seen at least some of it (it's going to premiere at SXSW)

https://twitter.com/peterhallhuman/status/1745175795385913519

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Steve Yun posted:

Hello my name is…

Wayne Meow

This is what’s making me wary. I can already see the white washing. Miao’s not listed on IMDb. I’ll watch, but I’m not going to hype myself up about what could be a disappointing adaptation of the source material.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Modulo16 posted:

This is what’s making me wary. I can already see the white washing. Miao’s not listed on IMDb. I’ll watch, but I’m not going to hype myself up about what could be a disappointing adaptation of the source material.

They’re re-ethnicitizing like 2/3 of the characters, but to various races, so maybe graywashing

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Yeah, it seems like -

Auggie Salazar (Eiza Gonzalez) is Wang Miao
Jin Cheng (Jess Hong) is Cheng Xin and also the Three Body game bits of Wang Miao
Raj Varma (Saamer Usami) is Zhang Beihai
Saul Durant (Jovan Adepo) is Luo Ji
Will Downing (Alex Sharp) is Yun Tianming
Jack Rooney (John Bradley) is Yun Tianming's friend who started the drink business and gave him the money for the star

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Steve Yun posted:

They’re re-ethnicitizing like 2/3 of the characters, but to various races, so maybe graywashing

Well as long as we can still be outraged about it, that's what we're all here for.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

counterfeitsaint posted:

Well as long as we can still be outraged about it, that's what we're all here for.

I’m not really outraged by it as much as I’m wary that the writing was changed drastically. While almost every character was Chinese, the end of the book shows the task force consisting of representatives for every nation. It’s noted that this is the first time it has ever happened that these countries worked against a common enemy I’m not saying be outraged, I’m saying be wary that such a crucial illustration of the events that led to the end of book 1 are being diluted by this.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Episode titles have been revealed -

1. Countdown
2. Red Coast
3. Destroyer of Worlds
4.Our Lord
5. Judgment Day
6. The Stars Our Destination
7. Only Advance
8. Wallfacer

So we're definitely getting into book 2 stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No love for the minecraft adaptation, huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14INFFQPrfo

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Fister Roboto posted:

No love for the minecraft adaptation, huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14INFFQPrfo

They got a massive increase to their CGI later on, but kept the minecraft characters lol. The (major book 2 spoilers) droplet attackis actually really well done. It's kinda shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EagvJ64VW0

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

discoukulele posted:

They got a massive increase to their CGI later on, but kept the minecraft characters lol. The (major book 2 spoilers) droplet attackis actually really well done. It's kinda shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EagvJ64VW0

Holy gently caress. There's no way D&D manage to make there version this good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PriorMarcus posted:

Holy gently caress. There's no way D&D manage to make there version this good.

I could be wrong but I think they actually do well as long as somebody hands them a good completed story (for the most part)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Steve Yun posted:

I could be wrong but I think they actually do well as long as somebody hands them a good completed story (for the most part)

I agree that they actually seem good at adapting things, it's more that I don't think any of the action scenes in GoT where particularly memorable or had this sensibility to them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The stuff D&D added to season 1 were hands down some of the best scenes in the show. I mean, I assumed D&D added them, they weren't in the books. Maybe GRRM came up with them long after publishing the first book and passed them along? It's always baffled me that the same people who came up with scenes like "War Stories" and "Sometimes I don't know what holds [the kingdoms] together. Our marriage ROFL" were the same ones that came up with season 8.

Actually on second thought, I guess for every War Stories there's a Play with her rear end! so it was always hit or miss, but they are at least capable of sprinkling some good stuff to a story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

The stuff D&D added to season 1 were hands down some of the best scenes in the show. I mean, I assumed D&D added them, they weren't in the books. Maybe GRRM came up with them long after publishing the first book and passed them along?

It was Jane Espenson after the season came in two hours too short. She's only credited for one of the episodes though.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
the final trailer dropped. it looks incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvzhCL7vIA

They're doing the world premiere tomorrow night in my city, and I managed to get some standby tickets, so fingers-crossed I might get in. :holy:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

discoukulele posted:

the final trailer dropped. it looks incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvzhCL7vIA

They're doing the world premiere tomorrow night in my city, and I managed to get some standby tickets, so fingers-crossed I might get in. :holy:

Love that they’re able to put together images like the row of lamps or the suicide in the neutrino detector facility

How many episodes are in the theatrical premiere?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 8, 2024

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Steve Yun posted:

Love that they’re able to put together images like the row of lamps or the suicide in the neutrino detector facility

How many episodes are in the theatrical premiere?

I think they're only doing one + a Q&A at the premiere, and some Alamo Drafthouses are showing the first two episodes on the 18th, a couple of days before it actually comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There is going to be some 2nd book stuff in the first season right? They won't be able to help themselves rushing into the goooood stufff