Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I noticed when browsing various rift pawns is that lots of people do not keep their pawns geared well. Some haven't even updated their skills! I saw this one level 20 pawn with only a single skill equipped.

This is why you should use goon pawns exclusively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

...where is this shop located? Asking for a friend

very last zone

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

very last zone

Volcanic Island Armory? I probably won't have enough money to fully equip my pawn, but maybe I'll go there just so I can get the best weapon.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gearing spoilers: is it safe to assume that the best archery and magic gear are all from Elftown?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
DD rules. I started wandering around Vermund after getting the early monster cull quests and used the mage float jump to reach a seeker token on a small island in a river. My three lovable idiots dutifully jumped into the river after me and drowned. Of course, it was at this moment a local griffin's Bazelgeuse ai kicked in and it dive-bombed me. I start sprinting back to Vermund, dodging the griffin and crossed a bridge. I check behind me to see what the griffin is doing and whoops, he's attempted to land on the bridge but slipped off and drowned himself.
11/10 would get into Benny Hill dragon shenanigans again

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Wonder Woman in the goon sheet is coming along if anyone needs a simple thief who is really, really effective in combat for L18. fights like a 25 or 30. picked up a few cross-class augments and was gifted a great weapon.

took down our first minotaur recently, was fun and not too much of a problem. saw a drake in the distance and if he's still there after our return to town, that's next

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Pawns are pretty annoying with their chatter. Anyway to only shout important things?

There actually is a Specialization called Aphonite, which is supposed to make your pawn mostly silent.

But come on, why would anyone want that

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

toasterwarrior posted:

Gearing spoilers: is it safe to assume that the best archery and magic gear are all from Elftown?

No but their enhance style is best for magic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Man, Mystic Spearhand really feels like the “Main Character” class, huh? Air Dash, ranged slow, and a (maybe?) invulnerable shield with no cooldown that affects allies too?

it helps that the fountain in the middle of the Vernworth merchant quarter is literally an Arisen decapitating a dragon with a duospear

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

No, but I am pretty sure they have the best bow you can buy before getting the permit to enter Battahl.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

No, but I am pretty sure they have the best bow you can buy before getting the permit to enter Battahl.

Huh, can you humor this next question, if you don't mind: I've already managed to enter Battahl, do you mean that their capital city already has better gear than the stuff in Checkpoint? Should I just push on through with my pre-Checkpoint gear and go on a shopping spree once I get there, for efficiency's sake?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do I need upgrade materials on my person when talking to a vendor or can I leave that poo poo in storage?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Vermain posted:

it's very funny that thief has some of the game's hands down best base skills (notably ensnare and helm splitter) and inarguably its worst loving maister skills. the autododge is kind of thematically appropriate, i guess, but in what loving universe is "i rub my knives together so hard they explode and also damage me" A) useful and B) something a thief would do

it's supposed to be bad, it's a decoy skill lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

This is why you should use goon pawns exclusively

I added myself to the list, but it's tedious to go through adding everyone as friends, so I'll have to make some time for that later. You have to add as Steam friends, I'm guessing?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Huh, can you humor this next question, if you don't mind: I've already managed to enter Battahl, do you mean that their capital city already has better gear than the stuff in Checkpoint? Should I just push on through with my pre-Checkpoint gear and go on a shopping spree once I get there, for efficiency's sake?

yeah by design you just keep upgrading your gear as you progress to newer shops

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ytlaya posted:

I added myself to the list, but it's tedious to go through adding everyone as friends, so I'll have to make some time for that later. You have to add as Steam friends, I'm guessing?

You can just copy paste the Pawn ID directly into the game when searching for a hire, then add them to favourites. It won't make them distinct as goon pawns but its faster than adding to steam.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

explosivo posted:

Found a riftstone filled exclusively with very fat men in the wild

It was extremely funny seeing like 20 widebois all walk in from the darkness

I love the themed pawn rifts and trying to pick it out, sometimes it's obvious, other times I got no clue but I always try and pick someone up.

I would not be opposed to a Pawn army.

Also is there a reliable way to get a strong person to do their sky toss? I've been thrown into the air s few times by random pawns but never anytime it would be useful.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Do I need upgrade materials on my person when talking to a vendor or can I leave that poo poo in storage?

Leave it in storage! Kind of annoying there isn't a "empty junk button" or if there is annoying that I didn't know about it until someone made fun of me quoting this.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

does current vocation change what stat gains you get on level up? And if so, does switching vocation retroactively change all those previous stat gains to match what they'd be if you'd always been the new one?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
already thinking about a solo playthrough, did it in DD and loved it. I feel like harpies are going to be a MASSIVE pain in the rear end though, and it feels like it's definitely balanced more for pawns and stuff to be in the party (obviously). Two person party is probably doable, though, but idk what the best setup for that would be. I suspect thief or warrior would be the best class for it, ignoring warfarer since that takes way too long to get. Just throw a gain health back ring on something and go to town

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Has anyone played around with Warfarer? How does it actually play in practice?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Everything about wandering around feels so dynamic even though a lot is probably scripted. Like you can see two different types of monsters fight each other and in the same moment be jumpscared when the shadow of a griffin flying overhead suddenly changes the lighting for an instant. That or you try to catch up with an oxcart but a griffin dive bombs it and suddenly everyone's desperately fighting it in a big melee.

Even moreso than the first game this belongs in the MGSV or BOTW "let's layer a bunch of systems on top of each other and see how they interact" design philosophy. It rules.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
arisen plus pawn might be the sweet spot but I think unless you have that one specific specialization thing for your pawn it's going to be very difficult to keep you and a pawn alive, unless it's a mage. which kinda sucks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay I finally got to see the art show and it's a tiny cave with a few sculptures of nude goblins and a deer. Dude wants me to show him a gryphon now.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Kind of enjoying playing healing mage, just sitting back throwing heals on people and dropping bombs on enemies.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I went and unlocked all the classes I had available and it dumped all the equipment on me. I don’t have the option to send stuff to storage yet I don’t think, did I screw myself?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I went and unlocked all the classes I had available and it dumped all the equipment on me. I don’t have the option to send stuff to storage yet I don’t think, did I screw myself?

go to any Inn and you can access storage there

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Game is about embracing mistakes and rolling with the punches. It’s a choice to make dying actually punishing and it’s honestly a cool handicap that teaches you to be better (because dying isn’t fun!). If this genuinely bothers you this much wait a week or so and there will be a mod to outright remove the penalty or let you heal your max health back outside of camp (I expect the latter to come first). REFramework has been updated for the game so I expect the modding scene to take off properly now.

Like this game punishes you in all sorts of ways. Quests will outright fail and go away if you take too long in one area, you can lock yourself out of content by focusing on other content. How you prioritize your time and explore / play the game is a big part of it.

If that was the point of the death penalty it's extremely poorly implemented and fails to convey that information to the player. 99% of the time it just creates busywork with 0 meaningful change in your game. Though I guess there's the corner case of "-you're on a timed mission, and going back and resting will fail the quest!"

For example they probably should have had more quests and the world itself progress in the death failstate, not implemented manual saving outside of when you quit -and not included the option to quit without saving- or reduced the ease of pause screen healing and quitting on death to reload in the exact same spot without penalty.

Having swapped over to warrior, it doesn't suffer from the same problems fighter has with flinching and terrain. I like sword and board, but man twohander unga bunga seems almost to be a direct upgrade, I never get flinched out of my attacks, and I'm doing massive damage.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

LibbyM posted:

does current vocation change what stat gains you get on level up? And if so, does switching vocation retroactively change all those previous stat gains to match what they'd be if you'd always been the new one?

Your stat gains depend on which Vocation you are currently in, but changing a Vocation will reallocate some of your current stats into the stats important for that Vocation. Eventually (like at max level) that means that everything will even out, but in the short-term you will be slightly less effective as you hop from Vocation to Vocation.

That being said, it's much much much less noticeable than it was in DD1, so I wouldn't worry about it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think I've tried fighting Drakes like 3 different times now, wayyyyy before I'm supposed to. I've gotten close to killing them, but I can never hack it in the end. They get verrrrry pissed off when they enter phase 2

I actually managed to hit one with one of those big rear end ballistas you can find that take 10 million years to charge. It took off half its health then immediately after the Drake ordered a lightning artillery strike directly on me, killing me instantly

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Thumbtacks posted:

go to any Inn and you can access storage there

I went to the one in the capital and I don’t see it as an option

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I went to the one in the capital and I don’t see it as an option

Inn, not vocation guild. The inn is upstairs, second option should be "Manage Storage"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LibbyM posted:

Right now we don't know the math, except it doesn't appear to work like dd1. Swapping vocations changes your stats to fit your new vocation. Some dataminers have said there's some degree of holdover, so you might get to some situation where you're not minmaxed perfectly, but so far there doesn't seem to be the equivalent of "you need to play as X vocation for half your levels if you want to be good at Y vocation," or situations where you had to be careful about leveling up too much on the wrong vocation when your end goal is playing a hybrid.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Tabletops posted:

Where do you get it

Trickster you just have to talk to an old lady in a shrine. But it's southeast of the border town so figure out your way past that first. After that you follow the main road till you hit the big river of the area, then just follow that east. Once it turns sharply south, follow that down till you see a crossroads. Should involve a bridge and everything, just east from that.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I found an abandoned mine not far from the desert capital that had a sweet armor for my thief pawn that had like 100 more defense.

Also there was a ladder my mage levitated up to and dropped down, which led to a fight against a new type of minotaur in a very cramped space. After killing it, I opened a nearby chest and got a mace that has the description that it is good against minotaurs. Thanks game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Honestly think that Thief is the best vocation. It's got great damage, you can dodge, you can parry, you can make it completely impossibile for enemies to hit you, you can stagger and completely knock down and small or flying enemies. When you get thrown by a large enemy you take basically zero damage.

Fun to play, effective, and excellent survivability. I've completely fallen in love compared to other vocations.

toasterwarrior posted:

I got a pretty dope one from killing the Medusa south of Batthal

veni veni veni posted:

Leave it in storage

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i found a capcom pawn in the border town with a specialization that lets you sell? stuff to him or something. i hired him immediately hoping to get the specialization eventually for my own pawn. then the game crashed and my save was before i hired him and i can't find him again.

i'm very sad.

his name was opal, was a mage around level 34 or 35. no idea how to find him again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Any recommendations for archer skills? Dire Arrow and Explosive Shot both kick rear end, but everything else seems meh?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

so wait. I watched Jeff Gerstmann play the beginning of this game the other day and there was a cart that you could take to the main city if you wanted.

I've been dicking around and Gregor says "well there was supposed to be a cart to take us there but it's not here so I guess we'll just walk". did I really miss it by taking too long to do this quest? because that's hilarious if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AndrewP posted:

so wait. I watched Jeff Gerstmann play the beginning of this game the other day and there was a cart that you could take to the main city if you wanted.

I've been dicking around and Gregor says "well there was supposed to be a cart to take us there but it's not here so I guess we'll just walk". did I really miss it by taking too long to do this quest? because that's hilarious if so

Nah you’ll reach it later.