Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You’ve also got the wet status that makes them vulnerable to cold and electricity. Except for that one dude in Wyrms Rock turns out they are immune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

yeah I assumed that dude saying he kept dying in act 3 wasn't talking about honor mode. I just finished tactician and it definitely still works there on the current patch.

Probably for the best, it's basically an I Win button for any fight

there are like fifty win buttons though. the key is not to avoid them, but to use the right one at the most badass time. for example, perilous is perfect for when ansur uses gather power so you can smack him out of the air.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The real win button is talking all your enemies into killing themselves for you.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ashcans posted:

The real win button is talking all your enemies into killing themselves for you.

The entire Thorm family seems very suggestible

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Started a new game, just picked up Lae'zel, checked her inventory and she had a rotten carrot, a hammer, and two bottles of water. What?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

No, it’s possible to get Astarion to admit he’s a vampire to you before the bite scene, for which one of the responses is “well yes, obviously”

lol how do I unlock this?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Generally speaking is it a steep uphill challenge to fight enemies a level higher? Or should I be able to handle them with good gear / builds / tactics?

My party is level three at trying to fight the swamp hag . The enemies are level four and I'm getting shreked. Like it's not even close.

It's my first playthough, and I'm on the standard difficulty, so I'm still learning mechanics and stuff.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

grack posted:

Started a new game, just picked up Lae'zel, checked her inventory and she had a rotten carrot, a hammer, and two bottles of water. What?

that's the astral plane's version of girl dinner

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Generally speaking is it a steep uphill challenge to fight enemies a level higher? Or should I be able to handle them with good gear / builds / tactics?

My party is level three at trying to fight the swamp hag . The enemies are level four and I'm getting shreked. Like it's not even close.

It's my first playthough, and I'm on the standard difficulty, so I'm still learning mechanics and stuff.

I usually wait until 4 to do that one.

I just slug it out with the redcaps, no trick that I'm aware of. The thralls inside aren't too bad, just be aware that one of them reflects melee damage. The hag herself is only tough until you see her tricks. If you have a mage, use some magic missile to take out as many of the illusions as possible. A sorcerer can get a range bonus and clear the room in one go. Witchbolt on the hag before she does the illusions will tell you which one is real, but you still want to take out the illusions so whatever. Bring a bottle of water to throw at the burning cage.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I think you just have to get his relation score up high enough without resting to see that bite scene.

At lower levels much moreso than higher ones. The difference between levels up to level 5 is huge.

I wouldn't do the hag any lower than 4 personally, unless that's the specific challenge you're looking for.

The game gets much easier at level 5, so don't feel bad about just going to level up elsewhere and coming back.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 25, 2024

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Taking out higher level bosses is really hard when you're still figuring out the game, but once you get the hang of it, it's much easier to punch above your weight. What's your party comp and rough load out?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

If you get to the Underdark (ex. through the Zhentarim hideout) before you get the camp bite scene he'll bring it up in conversation.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Beat both Cazador and Sarevok today, Cazador was pretty easy as long as I sent the rest of the party ahead of Astarion. Sarevok was intimidating having a sky high AC and a bullshit multi attack but other than that there wasn't a whole lot to him. With the Bhaalist ambush on the ruins I brought my paladin up onto the platform where the ritual guy was chanting and didn't even think to yeet him to his death, instead he teleported away and Minsc got up in his face and hammered his Unstoppables and much of his health away to let Gale deliver the killing lightning bolt just in time before the ritual timer ended and I assume my entire party would have been Power Word Killed.

Does anyone else stop using non damage spells at higher levels. I find that control and status spells aren't as reliable as fireball fireball chain lightning, fireball fireball magic missile, fireball fireball lightning bolt

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fender posted:

I usually wait until 4 to do that one.

*snip*

SlothBear posted:

*snip*
At lower levels much moreso than higher ones. The difference between levels up to level 5 is huge.

I wouldn't do the hag any lower than 4 personally, unless that's the specific challenge you're looking for.

The game gets much easier at level 5, so don't feel bad about just going to level up elsewhere and coming back.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Taking out higher level bosses is really hard when you're still figuring out the game, but once you get the hang of it, it's much easier to punch above your weight. What's your party comp and rough load out?

Class builds are listed below. Not sure if my equipment is good or not. I did buy some upgrades at the grove.

Tav: Sorc (Wild): 3
Astarion: Rogue (Assassin): 3
Shadowheart: cleric (light): 3
GITH FIGHTER (champion): 3

From what I’ve learned about in-combat tactics so far (from this thread, Reddit, and game experience):
  • generally, killing > cc’ing/debuffing
  • AoE heal spells are good, single target heal spells not so good
  • bust your nuts by using your powerful spells and abilities
  • magic missiles v good
  • bless the homies up asap

I am not even close to getting past the redcaps outside the hut :(

E: thank you all for the responses!

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 25, 2024

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I went into BG3 completely blind without looking up anything beforehand and I remember having major, major issues with the Ketheric Thorm fight at the end of Act 2. It was on balanced difficulty and I think I was stuck on it for almost a week before I finally managed to beat it by the skin of my teeth. I felt like I had just beaten Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls for the first time. In retrospect my spec and party composition were both laughably bad because I didn't really know what I was doing.

On my second playthrough (on tactician) I plowed through the encounter on the first try. It's just one of those games where if you have a vague familiarity with the boss mechanics and how to position your companions before you initiate the fight it trivializes a lot of things, but if you don't know what's coming it can really ruin you day.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord
I still hope Larian or whomever can put in an extreme causal/godmode accessibility setting because I know a gaggle of people who would love this game but don’t have the desire to grapple with the difficulty beyond learning the mechanics. It’s how my ex boyfriend was able to get through the Witcher 3 with not too much input from me. I wish more games would do that.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Woolie Wool posted:

Does anyone else stop using non damage spells at higher levels. I find that control and status spells aren't as reliable as fireball fireball chain lightning, fireball fireball magic missile, fireball fireball lightning bolt

Damage is the best cc blah blah rocket tag

If you get your DC high enough hold person / monster is devastating and guarantees crits. I increased the enemy HP so you couldn’t one round a boss before anyone got to see whatever their special was. So I found a use for them but if you just want to be efficient fireball meme and the twitch chat goes wild.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Class builds are listed below. Not sure if my equipment is good or not. I did buy some upgrades at the grove.

Tav: Sorc (Wild): 3
Astarion: Rogue (Assassin): 3
Shadowheart: cleric (light): 3
GITH FIGHTER (champion): 3

From what I’ve learned about in-combat tactics so far (from this thread, Reddit, and game experience):
  • generally, killing > cc’ing/debuffing
  • AoE heal spells are good, single target heal spells not so good
  • bust your nuts by using your powerful spells and abilities
  • magic missiles v good
  • bless the homies up asap

I am not even close to getting past the redcaps outside the hut :(

E: thank you all for the responses!

Respec Lae'zal to battlemaster and take riposte, trip attack and menacing attack.

Early on, throwing water bottles at people and then shooting them with ice arrows is a great combo.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 25, 2024

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Interesting little factoids about development

https://x.com/esr_tv/status/1770900954789163427?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I went to do the hag in act 1 tonight and not sure wtf happened. When I tried to go through the fireplace she suddenly spawned in and the boss fight went down in the main tea house area. Never had this happen before. The fight was a joke, she just kinda stood there and didn't use any of her abilities. Might as well have been jumping an actual grandma. Went into the fireplace and everything was friendly, Mayrina was still in her cage and I was able to finish the quest as normal. Didn't get the hair item obviously. Was looking forward to that reward, but at least it was quick? Whole hag dungeon took about 3 minutes.

Also honor mode Nere almost wiped me. I killed all the druegar so it would be a 1v4 but he immediately posessed Astarion who proceeded to delete another companion in 1 turn lol. Now it's 2 on 2 and he has one of my best dudes. Was able to break Astarion out of it and mop up but that was scarier than I expected. Having flashbacks to WoW with this mind control poo poo. If I hadn't cleaned up before releasing him that would have been a very fast TPK.

Janissary Hop posted:

that's the astral plane's version of girl dinner

lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

From what I’ve learned about in-combat tactics so far (from this thread, Reddit, and game experience):[list]
[*]generally, killing > cc’ing/debuffing

don't think this is true. cc is incredibly powerful and using it with a high spell dc guy will make fights much more consistent. command/fear/confusion can take our entire encounters, and upcasted hold person is very good in act 3.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It seems like that Hag's Hair item is one of the most important in the game, am I wrong? There don't seem to be many ways to permanently increase stats.

Just got to act 3 last night and was in awe. There are NPCs and quests every few steps. I'd heard the act was the biggest in the game but I didn't expect it to be this open. Wow.

Is there a way to make my Tav the face character but not have him be first in line? It really messes up positioning in battles. I find the only way is to have my primary fighter be the one I'm controlling, but then Lae'zel is the one initiating conversations and she's... not the best at talking her way out of fights. If I control Tav then he's the one doing the talking, but if/when a fight starts he's right next to the enemies and Lae'zel might be too far back to kill what I need her to. I don't see anything like the formations in the other games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hag's Hair is a pretty big deal for your main character, most build guides operate under the assumption that you will get it. The main benefit is that you can get it as early as Level 4, ultimately allowing you to trade off ASI for another Feat. The only other ways in the game to increase your stats are through Araj's potion (STR only), Rizz Hat and Duke's Sword from Act 3 (CHA only), and the Mirror of Loss (Act 3, practically at the end of the game).

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Played a bit (until the Goblin Camp) with my first character, a warlock, now restarted as a Bard. I'm going for a dualwielding Sword Bard I think. Seems like way more fun so far! I immediately managed to kill Commander Zhalk, quite easily too with Shadowheart's Guiding Bolt, my Bardic Inspiration, and Lae'zel's aptitude for murder. The Mind Flayer got the final hit in, seems like that did give me the experience but ensured he didn't go hostile, so I got lucky there.

It's nice to read along in this thread, I don't really mind the spoilers and it helps getting a handle on this huge and complicated game. I've played BG1 to death and 2 a bit, but don't know much about pen&paper D&D.

Looking forward to not restarting this time!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

exquisite tea posted:

Hag's Hair is a pretty big deal for your main character, most build guides operate under the assumption that you will get it. The main benefit is that you can get it as early as Level 4, ultimately allowing you to trade off ASI for another Feat. The only other ways in the game to increase your stats are through Araj's potion (STR only), Rizz Hat and Duke's Sword from Act 3 (CHA only), and the Mirror of Loss (Act 3, practically at the end of the game).

If we’re counting gear like the charisma hat too then there’s a lot more options than just those, to be fair.

But yeah, the hair giving you a permanent +1 to a stat of your choice is a big deal because of how early you get it, you can either hit 18 in your main stat while picking up a perk that doesn’t give stats, or take an ASI and have 20 in your main stat at level 4. For minmaxing it’s hard to beat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Those other items are "set to" meaning you cannot exceed the amount listed. Only the Charisma hat is additive, for whatever reason.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

They complained so much about the headband of intellect that they let CHA dominate casting :argh:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LifeLynx posted:

It seems like that Hag's Hair item is one of the most important in the game, am I wrong? There don't seem to be many ways to permanently increase stats.

It’s essentially an extra ASI/feat so it’s very nice but not like necessary or anything.

My current HM I accidentally crit smited her to death in the cottage so I didn’t get it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

exquisite tea posted:

Those other items are "set to" meaning you cannot exceed the amount listed. Only the Charisma hat is additive, for whatever reason.

No, there's plenty of other gear that gives "+Stat" rather than "set stat to X". There's the great monk clothes in act 1 that give +2 dex, there's less great clothes that give +2 str or +2 con, there's heavy armor for sale in act 2 that gives +2 con, there are some gloves in act 3 that give + dex (+2 for gnomes, +1 for halflings and dwarves), etc, etc. Most of them don't get used much just because there's so much competition for gear, but it's not exclusive to the hat and sword.

Unless you're referring to how they're all "+2, up to 24" or whatever? But the hat has that too, I'm pretty sure.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Martian posted:

Played a bit (until the Goblin Camp) with my first character, a warlock, now restarted as a Bard. I'm going for a dualwielding Sword Bard I think. Seems like way more fun so far! I immediately managed to kill Commander Zhalk, quite easily too with Shadowheart's Guiding Bolt, my Bardic Inspiration, and Lae'zel's aptitude for murder. The Mind Flayer got the final hit in, seems like that did give me the experience but ensured he didn't go hostile, so I got lucky there.

It's nice to read along in this thread, I don't really mind the spoilers and it helps getting a handle on this huge and complicated game. I've played BG1 to death and 2 a bit, but don't know much about pen&paper D&D.

Hopefully this isn’t too annoying to learn, but you don’t need to restart to change class. You can respec yourself and your companions easily via an npc in camp. You get him from the ruins on the beach which are safe to do at level 3 or so. Or he will eventually silently show up at camp if you take too long. It’s cheap and you can even pickpocket the gold right back with zero consequences lol.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

getting an extra +1 is not important at all compared to build and encounter knowledge.

Martian posted:

go ranged sword bard. ranged flourish is so good and you can do the helm of arcane acuity + band of the mystic scoundrel build if you respec into 1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Hopefully this isn’t too annoying to learn, but you don’t need to restart to change class. You can respec yourself and your companions easily via an npc in camp. You get him from the ruins on the beach which are safe to do at level 3 or so. Or he will eventually silently show up at camp if you take too long. It’s cheap and you can even pickpocket the gold right back with zero consequences lol.

Thanks, I did know that but wanted to restart (once) anyway :).

Zodium posted:

go ranged sword bard. ranged flourish is so good and you can do the helm of arcane acuity + band of the mystic scoundrel build if you respec into 1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard.
Thanks! I was planning on 10 bard & 2 fighter for action surge. Reading about those items doesn't make clear to me why this would be better (or just more interesting), could you expound on that?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Arcane Acuity is max +10 to spell attack and spell DC if you are fighting with ranged you are able to use your first action to shoot an arrow of many targets which will give you +2 acuity for each target that it hits.

With the band of mystic scoundrel you can cast illusion and enchantment spells that you know as a bonus action. So if you open up with an arrow of many targets and follow it up with something like hold person for your bonus action you've shut down an enemy for the rest of the party to crit. And since you are at range you probably won't lose the Arcane Acuity condition (it reduced by 1 per round and by 2 per hit you take.) In a previous patch the hat made it so you could get 27 arcane acuity and it crashed so devs reduced the max number to 8.

I had a similar strategy but I was playing Arcane Trickster / Wizard. The party already had 2 CHA classes, now did I pick the worst rogue subclass? yes. But I made it work.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Martian posted:

Thanks! I was planning on 10 bard & 2 fighter for action surge. Reading about those items doesn't make clear to me why this would be better (or just more interesting), could you expound on that?

helm of arcane acuity gives you two charges of arcane acuity for each instance of weapon damage, which means you can ranged flourish twice on your turn to get +8 spell dc, or use an arrow of many targets + a ranged flourish to hit 10 if there are enough targets clustered. you should get this around the end of act 1 (gith creche). band of the mystic scoundrel (act 3, in the jungle) then lets you cast enchantment and illusion spells as a bonus action after doing weapon damage, which you can use after building up your spell dc with arcane acuity for 100% chance to land a cc spell. titanstring bow (zhentarim hideout shop if you helped with the gnolls), strength elixirs (sold by ethel in act 1) and gauntlets of dexterity (also gith creche) work very well. super fun, you're effectively online by end of act 1, and when you get the band and magical secrets from lvl 10 bard (take counterspell and command) you're a lean mean killing machine putting out 100+ dpr while cc'ing the entire encounter.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Helm of Arcane Acuity is in Act 2 over by the Thorms. Not in one of their rooms but the part of the map where the curse is stronger.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

oh yeah. thought it dropped from the creche boss fight for some reason. apparently i was thinking of diadem of arcane synergy.

edit: you can get it right at the beginning of act 2 by going to the tollhouse bridge, casting feather fall and enhance leap on whoever has the most movespeed and jump range, going into turn based mode, run/jump into the tollhouse and take the door on the left, jump down to the moonrise docks bridge and run up to grab balthazar's moonlantern in his lab on the top floor, then sauntering over to the mason's guild.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 25, 2024

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
heads up if you use Vortex: the current LSLib version kills everything, I had to revert to 18.7 https://github.com/Norbyte/lslib/releases/tag/v1.18.7

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man, I was planning to take a break after my latest campaign. But then I found out about the Dwarven Warhammer and is it crazy to do a campaign solely based on a dwarf throwbarb for an act 3 weapon?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

Man, I was planning to take a break after my latest campaign. But then I found out about the Dwarven Warhammer and is it crazy to do a campaign solely based on a dwarf throwbarb for an act 3 weapon?

It's crazy to do it just for that, but it's a good race/class if you're doing another run anyway. My evil durge run was a duergar throwbarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Act 3 Iron Throne

Pretty proud of saving everyone on HM, including Om and getting the tadpole and looting both opulent chests. I remember my first run and I think it took me a couple tries even after dropping the difficulty to Explorer. Astarion is the only person that didn't make it out, needed one more turn.