Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

how the gently caress is there a helldivers 2 pro scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Good job liberating Hellmire everyone! I was actually around to see the planet percent tick over to 100% in one of my games and was slightly disappointed to see that there's no big fanfare for it happening :v:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The laser cannon is really good with the stun grenades. You get enough time to easily pop the butt off a charger or blow up a hulk's eye.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kazinsal posted:

The pro scene should it exist is the equivalent of quidditch nationals

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Kazinsal posted:

I can’t gif from the app but seemed like bait

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Kazinsal posted:

I hope this is real because that sounds hilariously stupid

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This is what peak performance looks like:

Never wear anything else.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
These loving CTDs are killing me

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Orbital Railgun used to dome Bile Titans in one shot right? Or am I misremembering because it never takes them out in one shot but maybe it never did and I'm thinking Chargers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Orbital Railgun used to dome Bile Titans in one shot right? Or am I misremembering because it never takes them out in one shot but maybe it never did and I'm thinking Chargers.

It does if it hits them right. I'm certain it's become less effective. Like it's anecdotal but when I see the laser targeting I don't alter my behaviour (such as running for my life or firing expensive ordnance at the thing) like I used to when I trusted it to kill them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've never once seen the orbital rail one shot a titan, though I've seen people say if you pop the bile sacs first it can, since those also damage its body health pool.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Kazinsal posted:

Prize pools in the hundreds of thousands and viewship that peaks the same.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's never always one-shot Bile Titans, just sometimes if you hit their head. Either way it softens them up real nice though, so a followup hit from a rocket or 500k usually seals the deal (and vice-versa)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sindai posted:

I've never once seen the orbital rail one shot a titan, though I've seen people say if you pop the bile sacs first it can, since those also damage its body health pool.

Perhaps this is what I've seen happen. The rail cannon seems like a massive waste to me. Long cooldown for one shot that doesn't necessarily kill.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This is what peak performance looks like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The upshots of the Railcannon are that it's big, safe, and nearly guaranteed damage and ignores complex strategem or scatter bullshit, which isn't nothing. It even targets Shrieker nests!

I find it pairs nicely with 500kg to supplement EATs or RRs for dealing with BTs and the occasional Charger in 7s and 8s.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chocobo posted:

The pro-scene meta has been Knight+Ballistic Shield for weeks. Intel and C9 both using it on their tanks AND supports for the last two weekend tournaments, and they beat the poo poo out of the competition.

Is there a time trial or whatever? Or are people trying to make a silly third person horde shooter some kind of PvP thing

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
The EAT is so good, I hardly feel compelled to use any other support weapon. I used the recoilless yesterday and it was also great, but since it uses a backpack, the reload takes long and you can't willy nilly toss it out at every objective I think I'll go back to the EAT. Some of the weapons work so well, I hope they don't nerf them but instead make the other weapons stronger for balance democracy.

Check out how close my friend was to a dropped 500kg. Amazing you can survive that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajYMs1YZa1o

I guess the batch processing of those sweet gang tags has ended and I unfortunately did not qualify?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I hope they listen to people complaining about the Spear and buff it. I get it's not that good againt bugs, but I think I really managed to disappoint a pubbie team last night after taking out half the bot fabricators and all the parked dropships on a "Destroy Airfield" mission with it before any of them could even get near the bases :laugh:

...and then we failed the Blitz mission after because three of us died and the last guy spent 5 minutes stealthing around a Stratagem Disruptor trying to reach the terminal instead of just running out of the area and calling us in there :negative:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main thing the 500KG has going for it is it's surprisingly generous about teamkilling despite the look of it, well, most of the time.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1ap26cx/eagle_pilot_mightve_had_too_much_to_drink_today/

I am hoping the EAT won't go the way of the railgun and they will buff up the "I am upping the difficulty by taking this" tier of stratagems and guns before they do something like double the cooldown of the EAT, which would probably cause another railgun level meltdown in the community.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I am hoping the EAT won't go the way of the railgun and they will buff up the "I am upping the difficulty by taking this" tier of stratagems and guns before they do something like double the cooldown of the EAT, which would probably cause another railgun level meltdown in the community.

Mission debuffs already hurt the speedy time on rockets, but if/when they bring back the randomizer it sure won't help matters.

Eat is really, really cool. But it isn't "Deal with a dozen spitters/rocket devastators AND that charger/hulk" cool.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Just had a run-in with a Charger that had visibly heavier armor on the head and front legs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The randomizer would be fine if it randomized the inputs instead of randomized what you ended up with in your hand after the inputs, requiring you to cancel and start over to roll the dice again.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ssthalar posted:

Just had a run-in with a Charger that had visibly heavier armor on the head and front legs.

Did it look like this?

Charger Behemoths show up on Kill Charger and Evacuate Citizens missions(the 40-minute ones), but aren't functionally different from regular Chargers.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Did it look like this?

Charger Behemoths show up on Kill Charger and Evacuate Citizens missions(the 40-minute ones), but aren't functionally different from regular Chargers.

Yea, thats the one.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
We tried running 9s on Omicron last night while the Terminid surge was happening and it was legitimately impossible. Just wave after wave after wave of enemies; we couldn't call down enough EATs and resupplies to keep up with the amount of Chargers and Titans that were spawning on us.

10/10 would try again

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Did it look like this?

They also randomly show up as replacements for generic Chargers in higher difficulties - again, without any numerical difference under the hood (or the carapace, as the case may be).

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Kinda feel like there needs to be some kind of ingame notification system that is "out of lore", maybe on the home screen, about stuff like the Arc Thrower/Tesla Tower situation.

Joined a pub game where two people brought Arc Throwers, and by the end of the mission only me and another guy who hadn't brought one were left. I even spotted one guy running on the spot, so obviously froze on their end. :(

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Every time a long range 500 bomb toss bounces off the back of a bot factory juuuuuust far enough that it is outside the explosion range is so much worse than not managing to throw it far enough in the first place :negative:

I also wish I knew how to consistently get them to stick to the roof, I would pay super credits for super glue on all strat balls.

Durzel posted:

Kinda feel like there needs to be some kind of ingame notification system that is "out of lore", maybe on the home screen, about stuff like the Arc Thrower/Tesla Tower situation.

Joined a pub game where two people brought Arc Throwers, and by the end of the mission only me and another guy who hadn't brought one were left. I even spotted one guy running on the spot, so obviously froze on their end. :(

Or at the very least put it on the steam forums front page. The mindset of "Why didn't you also go into the discord to search for a problem you could not have known existed?" is pretty rough and I am glad for browsing this thread keeping me warned of the BIG stuff.

EDIT: Checking just in case they did actually list it, They have not edited the "Known issues" post since February 12th.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 25, 2024

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I've stopped taking the 500kg for anything other than bile titans. And with stun grenades being a thing, I'm debating replacing the 500kg with the orbital strike.

Every other strat just seems to work better in other situations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You might have known planet temperature only slightly influences how long laser weapons can fire, but instead mostly influences how long it takes them to cool down afterwards. What nobody knew until someone tried testing for those numbers and got very confused about inconsistent results is that the game models wear on heat sinks. The more you heat and cool one the less time it takes to heat up. Remember to replace your laser cannon heat sink whenever you resupply!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAWp-5Pg-k&t=58s

Sindai fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 25, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I tried the grenade launcher against bots. I put two rounds into the chest of a rocket devastator and then he killed me with a rocket cross counter as the third grenade finished him off.

I will not be using the grenade launcher against bots again.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

ohrwurm posted:

what's the point of gundog when laserdog exists?

It's significantly better vs. bots IMO - it instantly kills raiders and doesn't seem to just continuously fire like the laserdog... but the drones are pretty meh vs. bots because their dangerous stuff is armored and generally out of range of the Dog.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tagichatn posted:

The laser cannon is really good with the stun grenades. You get enough time to easily pop the butt off a charger or blow up a hulk's eye.

it's low key good in general against bots. i bring either no support weapon or that on 7+ because it is the fastest and most reliable kill against any weakpoint vent you can see, regardless of angle. when an EAT would have trouble hitting the weakpoint of a hulk/turret that's only slightly turned the other way, laser cannon can stay on target

it isn't better at killing devastators than the AC but it's still thoroughly competent at burning out their visors

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
God drat I bought this game a week ago and I just unlocked the patriot mech last night.

Mid level games I like the grenade / supply pack / stalwart combo. But in playing some suicide levels I mix between Scythe / Breaker / Liberator Penetrator but I still like the stalwart for shear lead on target.

The rover (laser) backpack is still a godsend to keep things off you

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Infidelicious posted:

It's significantly better vs. bots IMO - it instantly kills raiders and doesn't seem to just continuously fire like the laserdog... but the drones are pretty meh vs. bots because their dangerous stuff is armored and generally out of range of the Dog.

I brought gundog once and it emptied its clip and never reloaded once in the entire mission and just floated there uselessly? Did I miss something or was that a bug?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do like the laser backpack, even though you'll chug a lot more stims without a shield backpack and the occasional damage from it hitting you, it is so good against bugs for keeping a anti-hunter field around yourself at all times.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Chocobo posted:

I brought gundog once and it emptied its clip and never reloaded once in the entire mission and just floated there uselessly? Did I miss something or was that a bug?
Sounds like a bug, it normally goes onto the backpack to reload with one of the 6 spare mags on there. And it gets 3 mags replaced on the backpack with a resupply, but none from a map ammo drop.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Aside from allowing me to indulge in my passion for pyro more frequently and for longer durations, I like the laser rover because the hum its engines make is very calming when it’s the only thing you hear during the game freezing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Train the bile titan so it's facing the center of the map before you toss the stratagem, especially if you're closer to the edge than not. Since that's the origin point of orbitals, it will have a better chance of landing a headshot. At least it seems to.