Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the greatest ARPG ever made is Gauntlet: Dark Legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Actually the correct answer was Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Customizable skills and rerunning missions for a shot at better loot? Um, City of Heroes much?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm beginning to think Blizzard didn't actually invent the concept of Hell and a "Diablo", or Spanish "The Devil."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Diablo doesn’t even really have hell, or Satan, or demons

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ok yeah that was a pretty dumb post

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

smoobles posted:

What Blizzard really needs to add is couch co-op split screen when in town, so my wife and I can do our town errands without getting divorced.

I never thought about this, since we play on PC. I think we would end up killing each other.

Maybe that's why they made The Gatehall, is that small enough that you can both interact with all the vendor types on the same TV?

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 22, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I tried to do a stronghold so I could get the second level of renown rewards and I was maybe halfway through before I succumbed to the onslaught of tough elites. It was only after I checked the map that I realized that I was tackling at L45 stronghold at L25. So... guess I'll come back later!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
yeah that's one of those weird campaign holdovers that really only persists through WT2. probably should just be eliminated like all the other level-bound stuff

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008

wemgo posted:

Its me, the poe campaign enjoyer.

I like the poe campaign because it’s a period of satisfying character growth and i like to race against myself. Once i started timing it, it was like a switch flipped in my brain and i was having fun.

The main reason why I can't do anymore the POE campaign, is that for hours you are supposed to play the game differently, and outrun enemies looking for the exit/quest rather than kill stuff.

It's forced disgraceful non gameplay

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Mantees posted:

The main reason why I can't do anymore the POE campaign, is that for hours you are supposed to play the game differently, and outrun enemies looking for the exit/quest rather than kill stuff.

its only that way due to the player market and drop rates alongside the initial build of seasonal wealth and inventory creating a gold rush that heavily incentivizes rushing. There are also very specific and easy to spec into campaign builds that are honestly boring as gently caress but get you to maps where you can finally play your 'real build'

its my biggest issue with the game and stfu about ssf, its an interesting mode but i don't want to dedicate my life to a extremely low drop rates single player experience.

if i could play permanent ssf with increased drops i would love the game, alas i don't want to extreme optimize my playing in order to work a loving market, i play games to avoid that poo poo

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Cerepol posted:

There are also very specific and easy to spec into campaign builds that are honestly boring as gently caress but get you to maps where you can finally play your 'real build'

<snip>

if i could play permanent ssf with increased drops i would love the game...

That first part is what's throwing me off the most, being a noob and coming from other games. Every build I look up, even ones marked as "League Starters," uses some totally different setup until like level 30. Oh, Desecrate Dead looks cool..."use Rolling Magma and some other bs until level 33 then trade or craft these specific items to get DD online" etc etc. I understand that once you've played enough the campaign is trivial, but man it's confusing starting out.

For the second part, I think that's what the Necropolis mechanic is attempting to do, right? Do the weird corpse farming to try and get a certain item, then do other weird poo poo to refine / improve it? But in a very convoluted manner.

Oops, thought I was in the PoE thread for real. D4 changes look cool, though the new upgrading system seems weird. I liked just hitting the upgrade button and making the numbers go up.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Jimbot posted:

Is there a good summary of all the season 4 changes around? I missed the campfire because I was playing noted great game Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth.

Yeah, why isn't there a section in the loving game launcher?

Oh, you need all the tabs for promoting horse armor and just like stash space, you can't put more text boxes in the launcher (because they need to be loaded for everyone currently running the launcher online).

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

No it’s that the official blogposts aren’t out until early next week. They usually drop at the same time as the campfire chat but due to the sheer amount of changes they’re taking an extra couple of days.

The PTR isn’t going up for another few weeks and the season doesn’t start until May so there’s still plenty of time.

Not everything has to be insidious, you’ll be ok

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mantees posted:

it's not actually forced, you can just play it how you want

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

hawowanlawow posted:

it's not actually forced, you can just play it how you want

Yeah unless you want to participate in the economy pretty heavily, then you're a bit forced to minmax your starter build to levy early gains into mid game inflation

Or, you could just be poor instead, I guess. But being poor in a trade league is lovely poo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

absolutely no need to do that at all, not even a little bit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tonetta posted:

Yeah unless you want to participate in the economy pretty heavily, then you're a bit forced to minmax your starter build to levy early gains into mid game inflation

Or, you could just be poor instead, I guess. But being poor in a trade league is lovely poo

Sounds kinda poo poo

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/summary-of-campfire-chat-320-there-is-a-lot-of-good-here/154872

Well this all sounds really good tbh? Itemization changes look like most of the things people have been wishing for and the Artificers Pit sounds like fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CBD Corndog posted:

Not everything has to be insidious, you’ll be ok
But but but I like being insidious!

Bisse posted:

the Artificers Pit sounds like fun.
Who the what now?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Who the what now?

basically greater rifts from D3

https://www.icy-veins.com/d4/news/greater-rifts-coming-to-diablo-4-season-4-artificers-pit/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've seen a couple of other players in the starter town, but I don't think I've seen any anywhere else. Is that normal during the campaign? I noticed that a "legion" event was starting but when I checked it out there was no one else around so I bailed.

The one time I thought I saw a player roaming the countryside it turned out to be an NPC hunter, which was sort of cool. Pretty dangerous out there for normal folks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh thanks, I completely missed that that was called the Artificers Pit and that the 12 tiers of Masterworking an item was tied to it.

Dick Trauma posted:

I've seen a couple of other players in the starter town, but I don't think I've seen any anywhere else. Is that normal during the campaign? I noticed that a "legion" event was starting but when I checked it out there was no one else around so I bailed.

The one time I thought I saw a player roaming the countryside it turned out to be an NPC hunter, which was sort of cool. Pretty dangerous out there for normal folks.
What world tier are you on? The higher the tier the more people you will see.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Dick Trauma posted:

world tier matters (most people will be in WT4 at this point in the season) and whether you choose seasonal or eternal realm matters (seasonal realm has way more people), crossplay on or off (on has more people, but even then, PC players see more people), and softcore vs hardcore masters (SC has way more)

all of that context aside, even in the most favorable circumstances at the start of a season i see maybe 1 or 2 people all season outside of town or some kind of group activity like helltides/world boss/seasonal thing. the leveling path for most people puts them into instanced content until high WT and even then you will really only see people in helltides

also other human players get their own yellow dot on the minimap whereas the hunter NPCs do not, so you can pick it out at a glance

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

MarcusSA posted:

Sounds kinda poo poo

yeah well economies are poo poo always for the newcomer, whether it's an online multiplayer video game or real life economy. you show up and are almost automatically at the bottom rung unless you had some windfall benefactor or accidentally'd your way into being a powerball winner. you're told to grind really hard and the reward is a handful of preapproved trinkets and your own little space. meanwhile, some rear end in a top hat who came well before you is making fist fulls of cash while they actively have contributed nothing since before you even shown up. you *could* own some bougie materials in the future, but you're going to have work 10x harder for it than the people who were Just There before you.

the big difference between games in real life though is that in games, when players "die" they actually take their poo poo with them. also, the elderly often will outlive you, since they have full access to the best stuff and you have few if any of the really good things that'll change your gameplay experience.

you could have done the same poo poo in diablo even with the highly restrictive trading - the boss mats are most expensive the first week and rapidly decline after. the best weapons will sell for billions of gold on week one to some losers who open up their wallet to a TOS site. the only difference is - what for? almost every diablo youtuber has made some minmax guide on leveling at some point for a reason other than "skipping the bad part" or whatever. people just don't do it because there's no reward for doing it in the current state.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
everything youve said is so inaccurate its almosmot impressive

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Inheritance tax for PoE players when

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Inheritance tax for PoE players when

We’ll just donate all our funds to our personal charities

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm gonna open a Diablibrary with my name on it

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

sounds like the best solution is not to have an economy. another win for Diablo 4

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tonetta posted:

yeah well economies are poo poo always for the newcomer, whether it's an online multiplayer video game or real life economy. you show up and are almost automatically at the bottom rung unless you had some windfall benefactor or accidentally'd your way into being a powerball winner. you're told to grind really hard and the reward is a handful of preapproved trinkets and your own little space. meanwhile, some rear end in a top hat who came well before you is making fist fulls of cash while they actively have contributed nothing since before you even shown up. you *could* own some bougie materials in the future, but you're going to have work 10x harder for it than the people who were Just There before you.

the big difference between games in real life though is that in games, when players "die" they actually take their poo poo with them. also, the elderly often will outlive you, since they have full access to the best stuff and you have few if any of the really good things that'll change your gameplay experience.

you could have done the same poo poo in diablo even with the highly restrictive trading - the boss mats are most expensive the first week and rapidly decline after. the best weapons will sell for billions of gold on week one to some losers who open up their wallet to a TOS site. the only difference is - what for? almost every diablo youtuber has made some minmax guide on leveling at some point for a reason other than "skipping the bad part" or whatever. people just don't do it because there's no reward for doing it in the current state.

literally nothing you just said applies to poe in any way

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bisse posted:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/summary-of-campfire-chat-320-there-is-a-lot-of-good-here/154872

Well this all sounds really good tbh? Itemization changes look like most of the things people have been wishing for and the Artificers Pit sounds like fun.

So still no group finder or ways to join people on the same quests? Great, this multiplayer-only, internet-connection-required game still has you playing solo all the time.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Phanatic posted:

So still no group finder or ways to join people on the same quests? Great, this multiplayer-only, internet-connection-required game still has you playing solo all the time.

It came up in the campfire stream Q&A and got a fairly vague "we want to help people get into groups but nothing to announce for season 4"

Not the answer you're looking for I imagine, but they're going to improve it at some point

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

An Actual Princess posted:

literally nothing you just said applies to poe in any way

its a really incredible post

Phanatic posted:

yeah its an arpg

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
neat

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Phanatic posted:

Someone made an awesome group finder addon for World Quests when they first came out in WoW and Blizzard banned it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I found this to be a concise summary of the upcoming changes. Talks about everything, shows examples on screen, summarizes what the new gameplay loop will look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HnrfoszF5w

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ehud posted:

I found this to be a concise summary of the upcoming changes. Talks about everything, shows examples on screen, summarizes what the new gameplay loop will look like.

This is great, thank you for posting it!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ehud posted:

Apart from this guy reminding me of what I looked like during my blunder years (ugh), it was a well-made video.

I wish this was the standard for all youtube gaming vids :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Apart from this guy reminding me of what I looked like during my blunder years (ugh), it was a well-made video.

I wish this was the standard for all youtube gaming vids :smith:

He makes lots of really good videos.

He’s from some town in Alaska and it’s been nice to see his channel(s) grow.