Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone finished the game yet? How "finished" does it seem?

I've seen someone claim that it's unfinished like the first game but I didn't inquire further since I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

I'm in what I think is the end zone and it feels padded out with like 20 minutes of just straight up walking through empty mountain passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Blockhouse posted:

It can possibly ruin your game but you really have to let it go and ignore a bunch of giant flashing warning sirens for it to happen

How would it ruin your game? You can't just create a new pawn if one is corrupted?

Demiurge4 posted:

Is there any "best" weapon augment paths one should go for? The Battahl ones all give crazy high physical stats for weapons at the cost of more weight, but with the flat reduction in weight from the wyrm augment is there any alternative combination that's technically better for say, warrior two handers? I'm using the Black Matter atm.

Huh, I remember the Black Matter being a big two-hander in DD1.

Hoping DD2 has some type of Everfall end-game to enjoy as well. That, or they release DD2:Dark Arisen 2 next year!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Sioux posted:

How would it ruin your game? You can't just create a new pawn if one is corrupted?

apparently when your pawn goes full dragonblight they genocide whatever town you're in after you rest at an inn, meaning they could kill important npcs and you have no way of reloading an earlier save, since it happens after an inn stay.

It sounds pretty lovely and I hope it's telegraphed well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Is there ever an option to choose what you or your pawn's displayed armor is? Like, equip whatever has the best stats but have it LOOK like something else?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

McKilligan posted:

Is there ever an option to choose what you or your pawn's displayed armor is? Like, equip whatever has the best stats but have it LOOK like something else?

Honestly one feature I'd love but isn't in game, there's a lot of cool looking equipment but everyone kind of looks the same after a certain point, like all the mage pawns are wearing that bikini armor that has good stats, etc. at least in dd1 dragonforging gave huge boosts so you could at least justify wearing non optimal

I hired a fighter that was so extremely squishy I had to fire it because my sorcerer pawn could take a hit better than it, pretty sure it's bc the pawns owner went for looks first.

Also is 'frieren' a character from something because there's soooo many mages named that

Sloober fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 25, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lol, I found a riftstone that I'm pretty sure had pale pawns because I was greeted by 5 different versions of Kratos when I entered it

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

McKilligan posted:

Nope

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Huh, can you humor this next question, if you don't mind: I've already managed to enter Battahl, do you mean that their capital city already has better gear than the stuff in Checkpoint? Should I just push on through with my pre-Checkpoint gear and go on a shopping spree once I get there, for efficiency's sake?

Oh sorry for the confusion, I'm still in the first part of the game. What I meant was just that in Sacred Arbor, which you can enter after doing that elf guy's quest, I bought a bow (Dinistrydd) that is better than any other bow that I've found so far. If you already have access to Battahl, you can probably find even better bows in shops there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was going to mess with the DLSS tonight but looks like I should just wait for this patch.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

You can get a house!?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Oh sorry for the confusion, I'm still in the first part of the game. What I meant was just that in Sacred Arbor, which you can enter after doing that elf guy's quest, I bought a bow (Dinistrydd) that is better than any other bow that I've found so far. If you already have access to Battahl, you can probably find even better bows in shops there.

It's cool, I decided to do a hell march to the capital anyway. It Was Rough, But Badass

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Where do we find the Meister characters? Do you have to max out a vocation first or do they appear after a certain point in the game? To be fair I've been ignoring the main storyline quests and doing a lot of running around exploring, so I'm at level 30 but haven't completed the first few story quests (Caged Magistrate, Disa's Plot, etc).

Still having a good time with my boy regardless.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 31, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I added myself to the list, but it's tedious to go through adding everyone as friends, so I'll have to make some time for that later. You have to add as Steam friends, I'm guessing?

Yes. My advice is to add your Steam profile as a hyperlink, and/or start adding goons (especially if they have interesting-sounding pawns) that are already on there. I don't think there's that much point otherwise, I doubt many people are copy-pasting codes after level 10.

My thought process when I look for pawns is as follows: In the Rift I click on Search for a pawn - Friends' Pawns, and I select the ones with the Vocations I want, particularly if I've used them before and liked them, although sometimes I like to switch it up. I personally make sure they're higher-level than I am, so it will make the fights a little easier + I don't want my pawn leveling too quickly, but that's entirely up to you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CPUxGkeK6FHGsSe1igMFOsSc-81RxfUxVHRDqr-KyE4/edit#gid=0

I have been using goon pawns pretty much exclusively, except when I needed one with the Woodland Whisperer specialization. I guess this way you end up with a pretty hefty friends list but I don't really care, I would rather have goons as Steam friends than most of the randos I already had on there.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

free hubcaps posted:

apparently when your pawn goes full dragonblight they genocide whatever town you're in after you rest at an inn, meaning they could kill important npcs and you have no way of reloading an earlier save, since it happens after an inn stay.

It sounds pretty lovely and I hope it's telegraphed well.

There’s plenty of telegraphing, in addition:

it’s not full morrowind persist in the doomed world you have created bad, people have been doing tests and the village will respawn after enough time has passed, just now off on a bench for a week straight

A lot of people online are very upset in a way I find foolish but kind of touching about the easy cure for your main pawn catching dragonblight being chucking them into the sea and resummoning them. Like they’re so attached to their pawn they can’t imagine doing something so cruel. I guess they forgot that the first thing to happen after the intro cutscene is your boy Rook in the brine waving at you saying “don’t worry about me this poo poo looks bad but it don’t even hurt. Pawns cannot die I do NOT loving care see you when I see you at the next riftstone brother”

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TheMostFrench posted:

Where do we find the Meister characters? Do you have to max out a vocation first or do they appear after a certain point in the game? To be fair I've been ignoring the main storyline quests and doing a lot of running around exploring, so I'm at level 30 but haven't completed the first few story quests (Caged Magistrate, Disa's Plot, etc).

some of them are 'locked' in that they are not at the location you need them to be at until certain things progress, and as far as i can tell you dont need max rank for their skills as i got the thief ones at r7

Jimlit posted:

You can get a house!?

more than one

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

I guess they forgot that the first thing to happen after the intro cutscene is your boy Rook in the brine waving at you saying “don’t worry about me this poo poo looks bad but it don’t even hurt. Pawns cannot die I do NOT loving care see you when I see you at the next riftstone brother”

i like that rook saved me the trouble, fwiw, props to my boy rook

my pawn came back from being hired and said 'the arisen was very cruel to me' now i'm wondering just what they did

Sloober fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 25, 2024

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jimlit posted:

You can get a house!?

I'm so glad this gets introduced early in the game because inns are so drat expensive compared to DD1. Can't wait until I have enough disposable income for the house in the Noble Quarter.

I'm glad Drakes are as scary in this game as they were in DD1. I've found two so far (one might have been cursed?) and both times we got them to about half health or a little less and then the Drake said "you thought" and High Bolided us all to death over and over.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tabletops posted:

i found a capcom pawn in the border town with a specialization that lets you sell? stuff to him or something. i hired him immediately hoping to get the specialization eventually for my own pawn. then the game crashed and my save was before i hired him and i can't find him again.

i'm very sad.

his name was opal, was a mage around level 34 or 35. no idea how to find him again.

Sounds like the Hawker specialization. I haven't seen a single pawn so far that has it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
10k per night at the inn in Battahl.
Any way to lower that, because that's too steep for me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It is actively amazing watching some of the pissbaby meltdowns over dragonsplague lmao, its like dragonrot back again.

Itsuno putting in a 'being lovely to your pawn and not paying attention has consequences' system and getting screamed at that he's scamming people and that they won't buy the game until its removed is such a hilarious indictment lmao

Broken Cog posted:

10k per night at the inn in Battahl.
Any way to lower that, because that's too steep for me.

check your map

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ah, I see. Thanks

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Is there any "best" weapon augment paths one should go for? The Battahl ones all give crazy high physical stats for weapons at the cost of more weight, but with the flat reduction in weight from the wyrm augment is there any alternative combination that's technically better for say, warrior two handers? I'm using the Black Matter atm.

I'm definitely going with Battahl smithing for my Archer's bow when I find the best one. Pure damage output is what you want from your Archer. I'm not too bothered about the weight.

Although the Knockdown you seem to get from Dwarven smithing is pretty tempting as well. Knockdown is what staggers bosses as well, correct?

What do you guys think, Battahl or Dwarven smithing for bows? The Strength difference at level 3 isn't that big. Maybe I should go Dwarven after all...

Sloober posted:

Honestly one feature I'd love but isn't in game, there's a lot of cool looking equipment but everyone kind of looks the same after a certain point, like all the mage pawns are wearing that bikini armor that has good stats, etc. at least in dd1 dragonforging gave huge boosts so you could at least justify wearing non optimal

I hired a fighter that was so extremely squishy I had to fire it because my sorcerer pawn could take a hit better than it, pretty sure it's bc the pawns owner went for looks first.

As I predicted, my pawn is getting hired less often by random people after I covered her up completely and put her in a turban, even though she has much better stats lol

Such is the dilemma of Fashion's Dogma

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 25, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phlegmish posted:

As I predicted, my pawn is getting hired less often by random people after I covered her up completely and put her in a turban, even though she has much better stats lol

Memories of DD1 and every early pawn in the rift wearing the overpowered-starting-equipment princess dress...

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The most obnoxious thing I've had a pawn do so far was point out a chest on a ledge higher than I could reach. So I used the Go command to leave them to it, and they levitated over to the ledge. "See? Easy as that!" And then they... jumped down from the ledge without opening the chest. I had them do it again and once again they jumped back down without opening it. And this is a pawn that normally kleps everything in within half a mile that isn't bolted to the floor.

Also quest guide pawns need to chill out with trying to lead me to quest locations on the far end of the map. Yes I know it's over that way, yes I can see the map, you don't need to be so snippy if I don't take the specific fork in the road you were going to use.

Speaking of the map, anybody else wish the marker for the player was a bit more visible? It blends in very easily with roads on the map so sometimes it takes a while to pinpoint myself even when the map is mostly centered. Surely they could just make it bright blue or something.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Oh thank god. The motion blur is horrible and I can’t wait to be free from it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sloober posted:

Also is 'frieren' a character from something because there's soooo many mages named that

She's the protagonist of a hit manga and anime called Frieren: Beyond Journey's End and is canonically an extremely powerful and skilled mage. :eng101:

Unrelated I'm playing with minimap off and honestly it kinda kicks rear end, feels like a real adventure when I am going places and I'm finding I open the map and plot a route rather than opening it all the time like I feared.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, the healing aura you can cast as Mage seems to do damage to undead, and not bad damage either. Kinda saved my rear end against some sort of wight knight miniboss.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

people still hire my heavy robed pawn, maybe they just have a thing for short red hair and freckles, altho part of that might just be 'this pawn isnt wearing the same drat armor' which is where i'm at for hiring pawns, i try to go for non-standard looking ones wearing something other than skimpy armor to go along with my giant arisen (i had no idea my character was so out of proportion for a long time until i figured out 'no everyone isnt short mine is just huge)

ive started looking at status pages out of curiousity and its amazing how many 48kg characters there are. everyone's a lightweight next to my 6'6"-98kg char. for real when i executed human sized characters as a thief it looks like i'm just throwing them on the ground with brute force and stabbing

Ms Adequate posted:

She's the protagonist of a hit manga and anime called Frieren: Beyond Journey's End and is canonically an extremely powerful and skilled mage. :eng101:

i should have guessed it was an anime thing

Broken Cog posted:

So, the healing aura you can cast as Mage seems to do damage to undead, and not bad damage either. Kinda saved my rear end against some sort of wight knight miniboss.

the key to those is actually a fighter and a perfect block which almost 100% staggers them. a bludgeon to the head in that state does assloads of damage. honestly recommend ranking thief up just for lethality because i feel like that weakspot damage augment carries

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 25, 2024

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I made my main character Beavis and man some of the platforming in this game is NOT kind to a short Arisen

edit: I found these old ruins that had this series of very precise platforms leading up to the top of this tower. I very carefully made my way up, made the final jump, and right at the end my guy was too short to clamber up to the edge and get to the top of the tower. I was playing Archer too, so no movement abilities that I know of at least...

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 25, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

CharlestonJew posted:

I made my main character Beavis and man some of the platforming in this game is NOT kind to a short Arisen

settle down, Beavis, it's, like, just a series of jumps

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sloober posted:

people still hire my heavy robed pawn, maybe they just have a thing for short red hair and freckles, altho part of that might just be 'this pawn isnt wearing the same drat armor' which is where i'm at for hiring pawns, i try to go for non-standard looking ones wearing something other than skimpy armor to go along with my giant arisen (i had no idea my character was so out of proportion for a long time until i figured out 'no everyone isnt short mine is just huge)

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but not a single person hired my pawn last night while I slept. I'm not used to that. Feels bad, man.

And yeah, it's a supply/demand thing. If every other female pawn looks like a Victoria's Secret model, they don't stand out, why would you hire any one of them specifically? What I'm saying is hire my turban-wearing pawn or you're a pleb

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Took the back road into Battahl cause I couldn't immediately figure out how to get past the checkpoint & that was a fun two hour or so jaunt.

I picked up the Almace in border town before I headed out and while I did really bad damage overall, my pawn had an easy time lining up sweeps and sunders while everything was frozen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I told a pawn to do something and suddenly a deep rumbling voice from a drake said,"YES THAT IS THE WAY ARISEN!" and I don't know where it was or how it was watching but I'm scared :ohdear:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Jerusalem posted:

I told a pawn to do something and suddenly a deep rumbling voice from a drake said,"YES THAT IS THE WAY ARISEN!" and I don't know where it was or how it was watching but I'm scared :ohdear:

dragon's dogma/Ultima 7 crossover??????

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
My short and fat stout Wario pawn had 11 hires while I slept, so I wouldn't say only the pretty pawns are getting some love.

Someone had even switched out his helmet for one with a more open visage to display his glorious mustache.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man almost lv30 and still don't feel up to taking out a drake lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

My short and fat stout Wario pawn had 11 hires while I slept, so I wouldn't say only the pretty pawns are getting some love.

[wiping away tears] It's fine I don't care, I don't even want her to get hired

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somebody gave my main pawn an eye patch, which was very nice of them :)

I feel like the closest I have ever seen a pawn get to complaining about another Arisen was my main guy coming back from a mission and reporting back,"We had to camp out every night... it was hard going..."

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It is actively amazing watching some of the pissbaby meltdowns over dragonsplague lmao, its like dragonrot back again.

Itsuno putting in a 'being lovely to your pawn and not paying attention has consequences' system and getting screamed at that he's scamming people and that they won't buy the game until its removed is such a hilarious indictment lmao

check your map

By being lovely do you mean dragonplague is more common if you throw them around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

edit: I found these old ruins that had this series of very precise platforms leading up to the top of this tower. I very carefully made my way up, made the final jump, and right at the end my guy was too short to clamber up to the edge and get to the top of the tower. I was playing Archer too, so no movement abilities that I know of at least...

:same: short archer at that exact same tower blues

And then my 6'7" pawn just casually climbs up. But since he's a pawn I can't tell him to go explore whatever is down the stairs I can sort of see up there.