Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anbennar has shown eu4 players love bullshit disasters.

it's why i cant get into the mod despite its evident effort and my tolerance for fantasy bullshit

Johan posted:

We get to model the transition from feudalism to modern states
We get to model the transition from feudal levies to standing armies
New institutions are blooming in Italy and the rest of Europe, such as the Renaissance or Banking

This is all v promising!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

They’re really only an issue if you’re playing dwarfs or hobgoblins. Even the dwarf ones aren’t that bad once you know what to expect and how to avoid obsidian legion and game hoardcurse. There are others but those are the only really nasty ones I can think of. Most tags in fantasy Europe don’t have any at all

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Y'know, if there's literally anything whatsoever you can do to mitigate the effects of the Black Death then the opening play for basically every old-world start is going to be to go all-in on that, because if you manage to get through that better off than your neighbours then you're going to have a massive advantage in resources.

And if there's any significant RNG in how hard you get hit "rolled a bad Black Death" is going to be a major cause of restarts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anbennar has shown eu4 players love bullshit disasters.
I dont play the mod specifically because I hate bullshit disasters. Everyone I know that plays it cheats (console) to skip the/beat the disasters.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 23, 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont play the mod specifically because I hate bullshit disasters. Everyone I know that plays it cheats (console) to skip the/beat the disasters.

As others have said, most nations actually don't have those bullshit disasters. The mod is really, really good, you should check it out if the only reason you're not trying it are the disasters. We can tell you which nations are fine to play as.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Red Hawk is really good for getting a broad overview of what you're trying to do, yeah, and he often brings up easy-to-forget things. The one thing he won't really help with is how to win wars. His videos consistently skip past the part where armies are moving around, because he tries to stay under an hour and that part is kind of boring to watch.

Yeah if you want to see some battles you can check out Laith.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheSocialStreamers/videos

He plays pretty much always at speed 5.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

eu5 posted:

• We get to model the transition from feudalism to modern states

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Laith is good at what he does, but what he does absolutely includes the entire tell-don't-show loop of "okay now we're going to do X > cut to later > "we did X!" that most of the popular mapgame youtubers do in order to keep their videos on an algorithmically approved pace. He or whoever does his edits generally doesn't edit in image memes and reaction zoom shots so that's nice, but if you want to learn the game then I think it's pretty hard to get much out of it. Most of the assorted small decisions that constitute the actual gameplay get cut out in the name of expediency.

I don't have any great alternatives, though. EU4 is a slow game, so when someone records themselves playing it then the resulting video is either going to be very long or it's going to skip a bunch of stuff. So it goes, pick your poison.

Personally I'd rather have a slower pace video that I can run in the background over something overly edited so I've been watching Poiuymew's more recent Anbennar stuff when I really need to see someone reasonably personable and competent paint maps. His videos are very lightly edited with just the occasional dead air or long downtime getting cut ... which means each series is a 5-10 hour playlist, even with Poiu being a pretty quick-and-sloppy player. That's probably more map painting than most people want to watch. He streamed the very ridiculous "one tag world conquest as the town crier-themed free city" achievement over the last couple months: the playthrough is ~70 hours long. I've had it running in the background for a few weeks now. It's definitely more map painting than most people want to watch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ThePlaymaker isn't really on topic for this discussion because his specialty is absurd campaigns no newbie should ever attempt but I feel liek I gotta shout him out if we're talking about our favorite EU4 video makers

Still, I think these kinds of guides are good for the high-level stuff, but for micro, there's nothing like a dedicated tutorial. I learned a lot from the series starting with this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O63oZQpKt_g

It goes into the details of the combat math more than a newbie needs, perhaps, but doing that gives you a really strong foundation for why things are the way they are and thus when it's acceptable to deviate from the common wisdom.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's time to rename the series and move on from the outdated Eurocentrism. I propose calling it Bhutania Universalis.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Wafflecopper posted:

They’re really only an issue if you’re playing dwarfs or hobgoblins. Even the dwarf ones aren’t that bad once you know what to expect and how to avoid obsidian legion and game hoardcurse. There are others but those are the only really nasty ones I can think of. Most tags in fantasy Europe don’t have any at all

A lot of the really 'bad' disasters are also really fun with the Deioderan (Jadd Civil War) being a standout for how you can precariously balance the empire or go all in on favouring one side.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Y'know, if there's literally anything whatsoever you can do to mitigate the effects of the Black Death then the opening play for basically every old-world start is going to be to go all-in on that, because if you manage to get through that better off than your neighbours then you're going to have a massive advantage in resources.

And if there's any significant RNG in how hard you get hit "rolled a bad Black Death" is going to be a major cause of restarts.
Non-serious answer: Poland largely avoided the Black Death but get destroyed by its neighbors eventually, so a country like that should get a "Waiting for the other shoe to drop" country modifier that ensures the wrath of God will eventually find it.

More serious answer: Didn't the Black Death result in a curtailment of the power of the nobility, due to the lack of downtrodden subjects? The loss of subjects might be offset somewhat by faster social development, making it a bit less of a clear binary. Not that this entirely solves the issue, but it is a way to make the crisis somewhat of an opportunity too.

Aside from that, I would hope that they have a hidden "Expected/maximum population" modifier in the background that helps drive population growth, which would also ensure that a location that gets hit hard by something like the Black Death is able to bounce back properly. Like, if you look at the population graph for Europe, the Black Death creates a huge hole, but when the population does start to bounce back it seemingly does so towards an expected population that never experienced the Black Death, resulting in a skyrocketing population.

A deterministic model like that frankly sounds like the ideal way to model population growth, since you can basically just assign values to the end goal rather than growth, which would be much less likely to cause unfun permanent slumps or absurd levels of population growth due to unforeseen snowball effects. Like, even if you somehow managed to do some poo poo that increases your expected population in 1450 compared to real life, that advantage just lets you pull ahead to a new higher population before returning you to regular population growth, instead of resulting in what could be a compounding 200 year advantage. (Depending on the end date.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Expected population" is mostly down to the capacity for agriculture to keep people fed. You could treat development as the agricultural capacity of a province, and have depopulation from disease, crop failures, etc. affect a number that bounces back towards that natural cap over a generation or two. Killing all your nation's young men in decade-long wars could tie into that system as well.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Capacities yes. capacities everywhere

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Non-serious answer: Poland largely avoided the Black Death but get destroyed by its neighbors eventually, so a country like that should get a "Waiting for the other shoe to drop" country modifier that ensures the wrath of God will eventually find it.

More serious answer: Didn't the Black Death result in a curtailment of the power of the nobility, due to the lack of downtrodden subjects? The loss of subjects might be offset somewhat by faster social development, making it a bit less of a clear binary. Not that this entirely solves the issue, but it is a way to make the crisis somewhat of an opportunity too.

Aside from that, I would hope that they have a hidden "Expected/maximum population" modifier in the background that helps drive population growth, which would also ensure that a location that gets hit hard by something like the Black Death is able to bounce back properly. Like, if you look at the population graph for Europe, the Black Death creates a huge hole, but when the population does start to bounce back it seemingly does so towards an expected population that never experienced the Black Death, resulting in a skyrocketing population.

A deterministic model like that frankly sounds like the ideal way to model population growth, since you can basically just assign values to the end goal rather than growth, which would be much less likely to cause unfun permanent slumps or absurd levels of population growth due to unforeseen snowball effects. Like, even if you somehow managed to do some poo poo that increases your expected population in 1450 compared to real life, that advantage just lets you pull ahead to a new higher population before returning you to regular population growth, instead of resulting in what could be a compounding 200 year advantage. (Depending on the end date.)

It’s the same for wars as well. Iraq, and then Afghanistan had the highest birth rates in the world for a long time. Some sort of revanchist effect would be plausible to model.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

cheetah7071 posted:

Red Hawk is really good for getting a broad overview of what you're trying to do, yeah, and he often brings up easy-to-forget things. The one thing he won't really help with is how to win wars. His videos consistently skip past the part where armies are moving around, because he tries to stay under an hour and that part is kind of boring to watch.

He's also funny because he will have horrible things happen due to bad luck or mistakes and just roll with the pain.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

It’s the same for wars as well. Iraq, and then Afghanistan had the highest birth rates in the world for a long time. Some sort of revanchist effect would be plausible to model.
The neat thing about just making a system where it scales population growth relative to carrying capacity is that you don't have to model anything specifically, it will just happen automatically, no matter the reason for gap.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If Carrying Capacity is used to help regions trend toward a specific population point, how would it work for places with major cities that had to import food? I ask because EU4’s time period is a period when, for example, the Polish Grain trade was at its height.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

If Carrying Capacity is used to help regions trend toward a specific population point, how would it work for places with major cities that had to import food? I ask because EU4’s time period is a period when, for example, the Polish Grain trade was at its height.
Let imports inflate the carrying capacity. Like, there's a base level, then add/subtract exports.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Dominions has a mechanic where forts take some of the resource production of neighboring provinces, I'd imagine the same could be applied here.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I'll be frank, I'd taken the notion that there'd be some sort of carrying capacity/logistic growth model for granted. Like, how else are you going to model pre-modern population growth? I don't see a sensible alternative.

I don't think it changes the calculus here?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The advantage I'm imagining is not a snowballing increase in long-term population, but a short-term economic and military advantage that you leverage into long-term gains through conquest. Pre-modern populations could and did spring back from trauma rapidly, but not so rapidly as to make a disparity strategically insignificant on EU timescales. And not every population sprang back at the same rate- England for instance didn't recover to 1340 levels of population until the 17th century, about two centuries later than France.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's been posited, though in the context of EU I think there is again a problem of timeframes here. It's like the old problem of buildings- you can put money into buildings which might pay for themselves in a century or you can put that money into armies and conquer something now. Do you want an economic advantage now or do you want whatever benefits a tighter labour market might give you in a hundred years?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do league wars have different AI? Been sitting as a participant at 99% war score for like five years now

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jay Rust posted:

Do league wars have different AI? Been sitting as a participant at 99% war score for like five years now

If you open up the war details and hover over the warscore, the tooltip will tell you why it's capped at 99%.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah I know why it’s 99 and not 100 (some lovely unoccupied colonies) but why has the war leader not sued for peace already??

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if I had to guess, that -50 reasons to accept peace is making the loser unwilling to accept the deal that the winner wants. Both of them will get more willing to accept peace deals as time passes. Five years is especially long though

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Wafflecopper posted:

I think describing it as being a mostly Dwarf and Hobgoblin problem undersells it a tad, the Serpentspine disasters are also an issue if you play goblins or black orcs, Rahen has that disaster where the temples explode (albeit that one is my favourite cause you have to deal with an elephant ghost who fucks up you country by just being a 24-hour party pachyderm), and honestly I’d say the current worst disaster in the game (at least that I’ve played) if you’re not fully prepared for it is the one that the not-Manchu get when you form Daxugo. That’s just brutally, painfully difficult, like the hoardcurse goblintide and serpent’s rot hitting you all at once.

But yeah you mostly avoid the disasters if you stick to Cannor, that’s certainly true. Though when they get around to fully redoing the Cannor content I don’t expect that to persist.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Somehow I'm managing to bankrupt my dwarves who have the Kromian end node.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Reveilled posted:

I think describing it as being a mostly Dwarf and Hobgoblin problem undersells it a tad, the Serpentspine disasters are also an issue if you play goblins or black orcs, Rahen has that disaster where the temples explode (albeit that one is my favourite cause you have to deal with an elephant ghost who fucks up you country by just being a 24-hour party pachyderm), and honestly I’d say the current worst disaster in the game (at least that I’ve played) if you’re not fully prepared for it is the one that the not-Manchu get when you form Daxugo. That’s just brutally, painfully difficult, like the hoardcurse goblintide and serpent’s rot hitting you all at once.

But yeah you mostly avoid the disasters if you stick to Cannor, that’s certainly true. Though when they get around to fully redoing the Cannor content I don’t expect that to persist.

okay yeah i forgot about the daxugo one, and pretend i said serpentspine instead of dwarves. the rahen one didn't seem like a big deal to me? and at least it's affecting everyone else in the area too

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://www.youtube.com/@StrategySphere is my new favourite small account. He gets bonus points for having an accent. Lots of tips for world conquests and just having your nation scale. He does a good mix of normal campaigns and pervert campaigns.

If you want combat tips just watch Zlewikk
https://www.youtube.com/@ZlewikkTV also gets the bonus points for accents, and even more for silly hats. I don't have a specific video to recommend but he quite frequently will stop to explain what he's doing with his armies to win battles and wars. You can probably find the info by looking for a video where he's doing something ridiculous and lopsided like Byz vs Ottomans or worse and witness him just throw the AI's armies into a meat grinder.

Interestingly one of his favourite mil bonuses is reinforce speed...

e. he has an "EU4 ABC" playlist with a combat guide.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

okay yeah i forgot about the daxugo one, and pretend i said serpentspine instead of dwarves. the rahen one didn't seem like a big deal to me? and at least it's affecting everyone else in the area too

The Rahen one's actually a mega-disaster (if you can call it that) spread out over all of Haless, where every area has its own great spirit that you need to appease via various means (or corrupt them if you're lefthand path) (or re-seal them).

The Rending's cool as hell IMO.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Raj also starts in full collapse and is quite something to solve.

I did it though. :smug:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

The AI really just wants the peace of westphalia (joke)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CommonShore posted:

e. he has an "EU4 ABC" playlist with a combat guide.

For a second I thought you said he had an EU4 A-Z country playlist, like ISP has for HoI4. :stare:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

THE BAR posted:

For a second I thought you said he had an EU4 A-Z country playlist, like ISP has for HoI4. :stare:

Redhawk has that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWHaOVgSquU&list=PLsO8A6cTBgguikj9y8lUVsz_P7pz3Pluj

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Yeah okay, this guy seems bonkers fun.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yeah redhawk's schtick is "this game isn't as hard as you think" and "we can have fun with it even if the fun comes from playing through the pain"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

As others have said, most nations actually don't have those bullshit disasters. The mod is really, really good, you should check it out if the only reason you're not trying it are the disasters. We can tell you which nations are fine to play as.
I guess I should not said the disasters were exclusively why I dont play the mod. I'm also not a fan of reading poorly written schlock; I'd rather read a book if I want to do a lot of reading. I also dont like big complicated mission trees. I dont like feeling like I need to do research out of game on the country I'm going to play as just to understand the not only my own mission tree, but also those of my neighbors. I've seen people complain that they made friends with a natural ally but then the mission tree required they kill that country, which is just lame to me. Dont force me to do certain things just for a story I have no stake in.

I just dont like mission trees. Too railroady, too big a variance with the value of the payout, too tedious to constantly be checking a menu and reading extremely poorly laid out and also tiny tooltips. Maybe if the next mission available in each part of the tree was listed in the outliner so I could look at it without having to click on my flag on the top left => click on the mission tree => find the mission I am thinking of => hover over it... just to remind myself what I have to do, I wouldnt mind so much. As it is, it is just too tedious.
edit: also things that have to happen by a certain time, require certain provinces or certain conditions that are hard to get (high stab, high estate influence or happiness, ect), and so on

This reminds me that one of my biggest hopes for EU5 is that Johan discovers bullet points because the way my brain works makes it almost impossible to read and understand most instances of text that as a number of requirements just... listed out in these tiny windows that make it hard to understand if it is wrap text or a new line, and then if that new line is an AND, an OR, or a MAYBE.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 25, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Don't the tooltips have a green tick or red cross exactly where you'd put the "bullet"? And no tick/cross if it's just wrapped from the previous line?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Red Hawk is good because he has excellent editing that shows the interesting bits, has few annoying gimmicks or silly voices, and tries to put a bit of a twist on his games. I've learned a bit from watching him but he definitely skips over basic stuff like combat. His save game reviews may have more info for newbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jabor posted:

Don't the tooltips have a green tick or red cross exactly where you'd put the "bullet"? And no tick/cross if it's just wrapped from the previous line?
They do! I am talking about requirements:

I just plain do not understand what is being asked of me after "Any Ally:" without reading it like three times. Does Any Ally have to have that stuff AND I also have provinces there? Bullet Points and a descriptor of and/or indicating what I have to do would help me tremendously. If "Any Ally" had a square bullet point then anything attendant to "Any Ally" had an indented round bullet point I would understand what is specific to that and not something else entirely. I'm confused why it seems to be saying something about an ally but then also has something to say about what I have to do without any clear delineation between them.

Here is another one that takes several reads for me to understand because it is just a slightly formatted wall of text:

This would be so much more comprehensible to me if each of the requirements each had their own bullet point.
All of the following must be true:
  • Irish Culture is an accepted culture in England
  • Highlander Culture is an accepted culture in England
  • 10 owned provinces with:
    --The culture is Irish
  • 5 owned provinces with:
    --The culture is Highlander
50 owned Provinces (current: 30) with:
  • The Culture Group is British

edit: to be clear, I am NOT asking for advice here, I am simply pointing out something that I struggle with due to the way my brain is wired. I dont need help with EU4 or understanding these specific missions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 25, 2024