Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Every time I try to attend the masquerade I'm told there isn't one that night. I've tried three times now. Is there a schedule posted somewhere??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ladders have a ! icon on the minimap, if that wasn't already clear - helpful when your pawn points one out. In at least one case, the minimap icon was off the true location, but it was close by nevertheless.

Mostly staying away from the thread to avoid spoilers as I'm playing through pretty slowly. Game kicks rear end - open world exploration feels great. The death / camp mechanics feel good too - makes you not just rush into combat, rinse and repeat if you fail, which eventually makes any combat system boring.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The animation of a pawn trying to get your attention to take you to a quest destination makes for some really funny moments.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This ladder will take us to new heights!

Bleh, why does the Magick Archer class have to be tucked away in the rear end-end of nowhere

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I wanna magick arch but it sounds like I'd have to sprint to nearly the end of the game so in the meantime I'm just gonna shoot lighting at people.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thank God I'm done with Archer, I loving hate aiming with a controller. I don't like double dagger fighting styles but Thief is a great way to mentally jump back into the greatest strength of this series: climbing monsters and stabbing them repeatedly in their vitals

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Thank God I'm done with Archer, I loving hate aiming with a controller. I don't like double dagger fighting styles but Thief is a great way to mentally jump back into the greatest strength of this series: climbing monsters and stabbing them repeatedly in their vitals

you can do that with a warrior just make sure to be in standing animation on them instead of clinging then you can stab them in their vitals in a brutal downwards stab with a huge sword. really the only reason to cling is climbing or using the thief cling-specific skill. the game makes you a bit stickier than you might think when standing on guys so you simply dont get tossed at every opportunity, like i stood on this dragon's head for a good long while giving him an intense acupuncture

after it bucked me off i did the heavenword lunge into his dome and knocked him down. those skyward attack moves for warrior/fighter are extremely good, dont sleep on them

Phlegmish posted:

Me, it's Warrior that I'm not feeling. You just stand there for hours charging up your attacks like you're Goku or something. Yes, it's very powerful, but by the time you release it the monster is probably in a different area code already. I'm probably playing it wrong, but I think that playstyle just doesn't fit me.

I need something more agile and frenetic. What is most similar to Strider from the first game? Mystic Spearhand seems to be a combination of melee and ranged, although using magic this time, so maybe that. Or should I stick with Thief for that ADHD gameplay I crave?

VVVV

i find spearhand's range stuff to be somewhat annoying to use since it's either a charge up (albeit fairly strong, like the magic burst attack) or somewhat underwhelming like the little magic darts, the force throw is very fun when you have stuff to throw and does fairly good damage. a good half the range stuff i use on spearhand is the R1 ability

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 25, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Me, it's Warrior that I'm not feeling. You just stand there for hours charging up your attacks like you're Goku or something. Yes, it's very powerful, but by the time you release it the monster is probably in a different area code already. I'm probably playing it wrong, but I think that playstyle just doesn't fit me.

I need something more agile and frenetic. What is most similar to Strider from the first game? Mystic Spearhand seems to be a combination of melee and ranged, although using magic this time, so maybe that. Or should I stick with Thief for that ADHD gameplay I crave?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah I know, I'm levelling Thief for the augments, same as Archer. Once it's all done, I'm going back to Fighter or Warrior and keeping an eye out for Warfarer

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Lol is there actually a quest that disables your menus when it initiates the "follow this thing" phase? The Phantom Oxcart

Also just had a quest prematurely end when I went back and talked to an NPC, he asked how it was going and I told him. I guess it figured that I was done with it and it ended with a sort of..."thanks, I guess?" The thing was, there was still obviously more to do...but I can't do it. Be careful with this game.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Play posted:

Potential major spoilers, only read if you're relatively far in the game. Just got the restored gods bane sword. I'm supposed to take it to Phaesus but the glowy eyed guy shows up and tells me I'm going to take it to moon bright tower or some such. His phrasing carried an air of finality. I'm not near the end right? I feel like there is still a lot to explore even though I am already easily stomping large monsters at level 37 or so. But there's plenty more to come, right?

You're very close to the end of the main quest. There are multiple endings though and one has a post game.

Edit: for even more information, I think you're actually at the point of no return, if you want to wander around the world as is and do side quests and stuff, stop the main quest now.

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 25, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

Ladders have a ! icon on the minimap, if that wasn't already clear - helpful when your pawn points one out. In at least one case, the minimap icon was off the true location, but it was close by nevertheless.

It isn't just ladders that are marked with a ! icon, actually. It's whatever your pawns just pointed out to you! This is really cool.

I'm still in Melve and neither of the 2 ladders I found are marked any more when I load back in, but a pawn just pointed out the readable poster outside the Apothecary and as soon as they did, a ! popped up on the minimap.

So when they call out something like a chest or whatever, check out the minimap right away.

Game good.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Found a quest with that big beastren Warrior badass in the first encampment but only came across it because I was going through that area at night and noticed a tiny area of the map I hadn't filled in. He was there and it initiated a questline that I assume progresses later on. Warrior and Fighter are definitely my favorite vocations so far. I unlocked Mystic Spearhand kinda randomly and only just recently found the spear weapon for it so I'll be trying that next.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Re: Sphinx riddles for the Conviction one do you always get what you gave her from the chest or was it a coincidence I traded a Wakestone for a Wakestone? Or was that just the only right answer? The last one is a pain too, no idea lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

warrior fucks so bad, this may be the best Big Sword Man since monhun

also met the sphinx last night: hey shawty

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

if anyone wants easy gold, my pawn (Wonder Woman in goon sheet, L19 thief) is giving out 6001 gold (yeah 6k) for camping 3 times in vernworth/vermund area

also can confirm she got the Forager tome from Everdraed's cyclops quest and I'm gonna verify that I don't go bankrupt from a ton of people getting 6k. if I do go bankrupt I'll post here for comedy value. edit: p.s. she's still rocking that ~level 40 weapon from a goon so she hits like a truck for 19

pmchem fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 25, 2024

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Re: Sphinx riddles for the Conviction one do you always get what you gave her from the chest or was it a coincidence I traded a Wakestone for a Wakestone? Or was that just the only right answer? The last one is a pain too, no idea lol

She will always dupe whatever you give her. A Portcrystal is a good choice

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sloober posted:

VVVV

i find spearhand's range stuff to be somewhat annoying to use since it's either a charge up (albeit fairly strong, like the magic burst attack) or somewhat underwhelming like the little magic darts, the force throw is very fun when you have stuff to throw and does fairly good damage. a good half the range stuff i use on spearhand is the R1 ability

I see. So you think Thief would be better if all I crave is that fast-paced, smooth :pcgaming: gameplay?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thief owns

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So... Mystic Spearhand is bugged, huh?
I can't get any of the Bolt skills to work or the basic spear spin, either.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Thief is extremely powerful and a shame we didn't get Assassin or whatever

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phlegmish posted:

I see. So you think Thief would be better if all I crave is that fast-paced, smooth :pcgaming: gameplay?

100% yes

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

thief is great and considering everything you can do as one yes, yes i do. honestly just how badly you can manhandle human sized opponents is great. yoink/gutstab

altho ranger also fulfilled that to me since i used the dropkick flip a lot, it even does good damage to stagger guys like an execute does, functionally i have kicked many cyclops, ogres and gryphons to death with it. i haven't played those classes in a bit tho since after i capped thief/ranger i did warrior/fighter.. honestly i have enjoyed swapping classes a lot to get variety and some of those augments work great on other classes

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 25, 2024

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

re: Thief, I wish we got more of the one from the MMO, we're missing a lot of that good Attack on Titan Movement Gear action but we got enough of it + upgraded stuff from the first game that I'm still really happy

re: The third Sphinx Riddle is potentially way more bullshit than most would be prepared for, but here's how me and a homie figured it out:

Vague Hint: I noticed she said "Parent" with a capital P and quotation marks. Figured it had to be something we could bring to her, but nothing huge since it has to be lugged up a mountain, but couldn't find any items after a few hours of letting the puzzle sizzle in the back of our minds.

Specific Hint: Last challenge was a pawn, why not this one?

Answer:Friend suggest we try and find every NPC's parent: an official Itsuno pawn. After not being able to find an official one (made by Capcom), we just started throwing out terms and found a couple of Sphinx related ones; throwing one of these on the dais ended up getting us a clear.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It is actively amazing watching some of the pissbaby meltdowns over dragonsplague lmao, its like dragonrot back again.

Itsuno putting in a 'being lovely to your pawn and not paying attention has consequences' system and getting screamed at that he's scamming people and that they won't buy the game until its removed is such a hilarious indictment lmao

I'm pretty sure one of my hired pawns had it with black eyes/red pupils and some blood dripping from her mouth and I immediately dismissed her to be safe. I ended up dismissing my other hired pawn because he had a full helmet on and I couldn't see his face to check.

Overall, I think it's an interesting mechanic and it just requires that you...pay some attention to the world around you? Literally, talk with your pawn every few days and you should be able to catch it before anythign bad happens. Really incredible seeing the insane tantrums on reddit but I guess that's unsurprising.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 25, 2024

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Deified Data posted:

By being lovely do you mean dragonplague is more common if you throw them around?

Oh man I hope this isn't the case! I'm constantly yeeting my pawn.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

oof the amount of open spoilers in this thread.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/3KPoBf3.mp4

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sloober posted:

thief is great and considering everything you can do as one yes, yes i do. honestly just how badly you can manhandle human sized opponents is great. yoink/gutstab

altho ranger also fulfilled that to me since i used the dropkick flip a lot, it even does good damage to stagger guys like an execute does, functionally i have kicked many cyclops, ogres and gryphons to death with it. i haven't played those classes in a bit tho since after i capped thief/ranger i did warrior/fighter.. honestly i have enjoyed swapping classes a lot to get variety and some of those augments work great on other classes

I think this is where I'm at right now. I'm in very early game still, just got the three main quests from Idris Elba but mostly I've been running around the forest outside the big city trying out various classes. I still plan to be a warrior, but I did archery for the quest for the elf (and despite it being powerful against bosses, I also found out I don't like aiming with a controller) and probably will try thief next. If nothing else, at least I can get some juicy passives out of it, I guess?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Tech question. According to CanIRunIt I meet the minimum but not recommended specs. Can anyone comment on if I'm likely to have a better time on PC or PS5 with the hardware I have? I know it's CPU heavy but don't know practically how much I'll get hit.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The problem most people have with (big feature being discussed in case that all gets spoilered too) Dragonsplague is that the punishment doesn't match the failures. For the low price of being inattentive or even possibly choosing to use your funny pawn who doesn't like to listen and is being an rear end in a top hat, you can potentially brick an entire city's worth of side-content for the rest of your game. This can happen dozens of hours in. I'm nearing 45 and I haven't even seen the popup.

Like personally, yeah I feel like it's fine, in fact I'm glad developers are taking big stupid risks on big stupid features like that, we need more big games that try new poo poo, but I also understand why a lot of people don't like it.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

Phlegmish posted:

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but not a single person hired my pawn last night while I slept. I'm not used to that. Feels bad, man.

And yeah, it's a supply/demand thing. If every other female pawn looks like a Victoria's Secret model, they don't stand out, why would you hire any one of them specifically? What I'm saying is hire my turban-wearing pawn or you're a pleb

I think it has to do more with what kind of pawn quest you set up. I know I personally am always looking to hire pawns that have that 'Kill a cyclops/ogre for 10k' set up. A ton of people haven't even set up a pawn quest and I'm definitely not hiring their pawns no matter how cool they might look.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the most important things you can do to get your pawn hired, in order:

1) Tiny White Woman With Too Much Makeup
2) Mage
3) Good Pawn Quest, Or A Bad One That Gives Some Money
4) Luck
5) I've been trying to use everyone's pawn on the list so I may eventually get to you. I may drag their level 14 rear end to fight a medusa. I will carry you on my hunched over sickly wizard nerd shoulders.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jimlit posted:

Oh man I hope this isn't the case! I'm constantly yeeting my pawn.

Mine says something like 'Have I done something to incur your displeasure, Master?' in this miffed tone, and then I feel bad and put her back down

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What do you have to gain from your pawn completing their missions? Do you get RC? I figured a quest to get an item like a golden beetle in exchange for money is simple enough to understand but why would I reward players with money for killing a cyclops with my pawn?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sorry to expertly crafted pawns but I just pick whoever is free RC at my level and actually has skills equipped.

The number of level 25-30 pawns with no skills is insane.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

What do you have to gain from your pawn completing their missions? Do you get RC? I figured a quest to get an item like a golden beetle in exchange for money is simple enough to understand but why would I reward players with money for killing a cyclops with my pawn?

I think those kills count towards your pawn's corresponding badge, and they wouldn't otherwise. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now I have no idea what you get for completing a badge, but they're in the game so I want them

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Harlock posted:

Sorry to expertly crafted pawns but I just pick whoever is free RC at my level and actually has skills equipped.

The number of level 25-30 pawns with no skills is insane.

Hire goons only, no scabs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CPUxGkeK6FHGsSe1igMFOsSc-81RxfUxVHRDqr-KyE4/edit#gid=0

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phlegmish posted:

I think those kills count towards your pawn's corresponding badge, and they wouldn't otherwise. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now I have no idea what you get for completing a badge, but they're in the game so I want them

Oh yeah I forgot about those badges. I should take a look at those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I use the pawns you main pawn knows search a lot since those are people who have hired your pawn. Also the large stature riftstones for u-haul pawns.