Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Rush just watched TV and read books. Say what you will but they're normal guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjbvZJaxcbw

And yeah, 2112 was Ayn Rand but they were in their 20s like anyone else who reads The Fountainhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bonzo posted:

Rush just watched TV and read books. Say what you will but they're normal guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjbvZJaxcbw

And yeah, 2112 was Ayn Rand but they were in their 20s like anyone else who reads The Fountainhead.

It was nice to read a thoughtful renunciation of his Randian past written by him, but he only did so after meeting impoverished people for the first time in his life in his late 50s. Glad he made it but yeeeesh.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
its a shame that the bad effects from ayn rand's writing eclipse the goodness of rush's music and bioshock 1

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

dreezy posted:

its a shame that the bad effects from ayn rand's writing eclipse the goodness of rush's music and bioshock 1

I'm p sure BioShock is a takedown of Rand, how her ideal society would turn into deranged junkies murdering each other in the streets

Or is that :thejoke:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

They're mediocre

You're not wrong, but mediocre still puts them ahead of a lot of childrens' media.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Didn't he start off by eating nothing but potatoes for a month? I think he said he deliberately made it potatoes because it kept him from overeating or something.

that was penn jillette i think

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

So we had to watch Hop last night for the little ones. Russel Brand? Gee I wonder what happened to him?

*opens wiki*

Oh....um....geez.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's much more interesting to discuss people who torpedoed their careers with awful artist choices rather than gross dudes who got cancelled for sex crimes.

Katie Holmes peaced out of the Nolan Batman franchise so she could appear in the Queen Latifah flop Mad Money. Reportedly on the advice of her husband at the time, Tom Cruise.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

True,and the drummer was an attempted rapist,gently caress em.

gently caress that, their rapist was an attempted drummer.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It's much more interesting to discuss people who torpedoed their careers with awful artist choices rather than gross dudes who got cancelled for sex crimes.

Katie Holmes peaced out of the Nolan Batman franchise so she could appear in the Queen Latifah flop Mad Money. Reportedly on the advice of her husband at the time, Tom Cruise.

Sean Connery was a master of doing bad career choices by turning down a major role in Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Harry Potter franchise and Jurassic Park. The one time he did commit to a role in upcoming franchise "he did not understand" was on that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that bombed so hard he decided to retire. At least he didn't wait until he got cancelled to do that.

And speaking of bombing James Bonds, George Lazenby turned down a follow-up role on Bond sequel because his manager convinced him that spy movies were going out of style and getting typecast as James Bond was a career suicide.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

spacing in vienna posted:

I'm p sure BioShock is a takedown of Rand, how her ideal society would turn into deranged junkies murdering each other in the streets

Or is that :thejoke:

:wrong:

It's been discussed elsewhere recently, and it always amazes me to this day: Bioshock is NOT a takedown of Randian Philosophy, but a love letter! As per Ken Levine, an avowed Libertarian, it's the people who lived in Rapture who sucked, both sides of an issue, truth being somewhere in the middle,,, :whitewater:

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Der Kyhe posted:

And speaking of bombing James Bonds, George Lazenby turned down a follow-up role on Bond sequel because his manager convinced him that spy movies were going out of style and getting typecast as James Bond was a career suicide.

Same thing happened to the actor that was originally cast as James T Kirk. Captain Pike was originally going to be the captain of the Enterprise but allegedly the actor's wife talked him out of the role because she felt he was above doing a low-budget sci-fi TV show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Same thing happened to the actor that was originally cast as James T Kirk. Captain Pike was originally going to be the captain of the Enterprise but allegedly the actor's wife talked him out of the role because she felt he was above doing a low-budget sci-fi TV show.

I heard she was a huge nightmare on set going all stage wife and demanding he only be shot from certain angles and such.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

redshirt posted:

Maybe I got this here, I haven't watched it, but it looks like the whole movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIbqEE6YI7Y

I've only seen Dogma once, when it came out, and I thought it was insufferable atheists: the movie, but maybe I need to watch it again. I had bad opinions on poo poo back then (too).

I do remember loving one scene though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0nsO9IS2Vs

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I heard she was a huge nightmare on set going all stage wife and demanding he only be shot from certain angles and such.

Everything I've heard about this woman suggests that their wedding photo would fall into the category of "images that precede unfortunate events"

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Der Kyhe posted:

The one time he did commit to a role in upcoming franchise "he did not understand" was on that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that bombed so hard he decided to retire. At least he didn't wait until he got cancelled to do that.

From what I remember, Connery diligently read the original LxG and was upset that Steve Norrington went in a completely different direction.

He and Norrington despised each other. I don't remember why, exactly, but the entire process of making the movie with each other was so awful that Connery left acting forever and Norrington never directed again, and went back to VFX.

Nov 6, 2002

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Similarly Denise Crosby made what had to be in retrospect a pretty bad decision to leave STNG after one season because she didn't like the character's development - or lack thereof - up to that moment.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Nicki Clyne left Battlestar Galactica to spend more time with her friends in NXIVM :thumbsup:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

Nicki Clyne left Battlestar Galactica to spend more time with her friends in NXIVM :thumbsup:

Boomer lasted longer even though she was in the same cult. :iiam:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Sean Connery was a master of doing bad career choices by turning down a major role in Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Harry Potter franchise and Jurassic Park.

Does Connery have the range/talent to do those movies?

i only have a sample size of seeing two Connery movies. The Rock and Extraordinary Gentlemen. The Rock is a good movie.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The only Connery movie you need to see is that 1 minute section of the one where he says “you’re the man now dog”

Also Highlander.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

emSparkly posted:

The only Connery movie you need to see is that 1 minute section of the one where he says “you’re the man now dog”

Also Highlander.

This is A Bridge Too Far and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade erasure and I will not stand for it.

Also everyone should see Zardoz at least once for the sheer WTF of it all.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

emSparkly posted:

That's Finding Forrester, the one where Connery does a JD Salinger impression and teaches a young black boy to write. So let that soak in while you wince.

Nov 6, 2002

StrangersInTheNight posted:

That's Finding Forrester, the one where Connery does a JD Salinger impression and teaches a young black boy to write. So let that soak in while you wince.

I haven't seen that movie in forever but I'm pretty sure that's a pretty shallow interpretation of the movie. The kid is already brilliant. Connery's character just wants to mentor him.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah that's a clipped comedy explanation to make the ytmnd scene have context, Jamal did have talent. Here let's clarify: Good Will Hunting but with Sean Connery doing a Salinger impression at a black teenager.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 25, 2024

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Similarly Denise Crosby made what had to be in retrospect a pretty bad decision to leave STNG after one season because she didn't like the character's development - or lack thereof - up to that moment.

She would always be "The One that slept with Data", or they would pull an Orville and have them dating. Maybe they would be married by ST:Nemesis or something.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

There's a lot more to that story. Lazenby is an interesting dude.

Nov 6, 2002

Bonzo posted:

She would always be "The One that slept with Data", or they would pull an Orville and have them dating. Maybe they would be married by ST:Nemesis or something.

I kinda doubt it. All the Next Gen characters were EXTREMELY shallow and underdeveloped through much of the 1st and 2nd season. If she had stayed, it's pretty likely Tasha Yar would have ended up being much more than what we saw in S1.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The memory of Ashlee Simpson busting into a jig onstage after being caught lip syncing popped into my head again and :lol:

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

He did have a cute little white supremacist phase right? And underage girl shenanigans iirc. I’ve always been mystified by the deification of the man.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

He hosed the same 13 year old Jimmy Page hosed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bonzo posted:

She would always be "The One that slept with Data",

It's gotta be genetic for the Yar family, because in "Legacy," Tash's sister Ishara was ALSO down to clown with Data.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Re: Star Trek ladies. When someone blows your back out, word gets around I guess.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

HonorableTB posted:

The memory of Ashlee Simpson busting into a jig onstage after being caught lip syncing popped into my head again and :lol:

How common is lip syncing these days anyway? I imagine it's one of those things that no one really talks about but a lot of performers do, but I have no idea. It would just be funny if it was quite widespread at the time and she was the only one unfortunate enough to really get noticed doing it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kit Walker posted:

How common is lip syncing these days anyway? I imagine it's one of those things that no one really talks about but a lot of performers do, but I have no idea. It would just be funny if it was quite widespread at the time and she was the only one unfortunate enough to really get noticed doing it

It seems very widespread for anything that is broadcast live

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Kit Walker posted:

I imagine it depends on the level of exposure. If you're doing a Super Bowl halftime show you're probably going to lip sync more to avoid the risk of having off-pitch notes on a national broadcast. Most televised performances are synced I'm sure, it's just not worth it to potentially do a honker in front of millions of potential fans lol

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

HonorableTB posted:

The "celebrity getting caught doing dumb poo poo" incident that pops into my head most often is Stephen Rannazzisi lying about escaping one of the twin towers on 9/11 :haw:

edit: drat, it's in my post history and everything

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 25, 2024

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
In many cases, performers aren't even *allowed* to sing live. They have to lip sync. There have been cases where the audio fucks up at the Macy's parade or whatever and then the singer who was on TV at the time gets trashed in the press. But literally every other singer was lip syncing too. :shrug:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

The "celebrity getting caught doing dumb poo poo" incident that pops into my head most often is Stephen Rannazzisi lying about escaping one of the twin towers on 9/11 :haw:

This made me look up The Day Today joke audio about 9/11 and lol youtube has a big banner at the top with a wikipedia britannica (drat cant believe america is using a british encyclopedia) summary.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
One time Dr Phil invited the dude that created Bum Fights onto his show to confront him about exploiting vulnerable people for financial gain and the guy showed up dressed like Dr Phil and pointed out he did the exact same thing and :lmao:

nobody's career ended really but that should've been a kill shot for the Dr Phil Show if the man had any sense of shame at all (he doesnt)

also bumfights guy is an rear end in a top hat too just for the record