Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i've been banned from this thread before for saying this situation is hopeless and i still feel the same way

however it does seem now like the net is closing in now and that soon enough, european countries won't have a choice but to put embargos and sanctions on israel. and soon enough it will just be genocide joe and bibi doing their genocide on their own, showing their true colors to the rest of the world.

it took less than 2 weeks for even switzerland to put sanctions on russian oligarchs after the war in ukraine started. it's been 5 months and not a single resolution has been passed. my politicians are loving cowards and i will never forget who was in power during these times. gently caress them, gently caress them all

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Brogeoisie posted:

Yeah same, what happens if Israel ignores? Will UN hold them accountable?

no, the un cant hold israel accountable unless the US agrees, which the US will never agree

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Soldiers of the IDF should not know peace, they must be prosecuted for the whole of their lives.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Sancho Banana how is israeli media or talking heads reacting to the UN resolution?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Brogeoisie posted:

Yeah same, what happens if Israel ignores? Will UN hold them accountable?

Hopefully more countries will stop trading with Israel, I don't know.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
No fly zone over occupied Palestine

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah this is a good symbolic gesture and could maybe be a first step towards actual consequences for Israel, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm still thinking Israel is going to flame out and the only real question is how many innocent people we collectively allow them to kill along the way.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Al-Saqr posted:

Sancho Banana how is israeli media or talking heads reacting to the UN resolution?

So far I'm seeing people online reacting like Netanyahu - inexplicably mad about the resolution just because it specified a ceasefire and also mad at Biden for not vetoing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hamas put out a statement, they welcome the resolution and have immediately jumped on the neutral wording of the 'hostage release' clause

=================================

Urgent | Hamas: We welcome the UN Security Council’s call for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza

Urgent | Hamas: We stress the necessity of reaching a permanent ceasefire that leads to the withdrawal of all Zionist forces and the return of the displaced

Urgent | Hamas: We affirm our readiness to engage in an immediate prisoner exchange process that leads to the release of prisoners on both sides

Urgent | Hamas: We emphasize the importance of freedom of movement of citizens and access to all humanitarian needs of residents in all areas of the Gaza Strip

Urgent | Hamas: We call on the Security Council to pressure the occupation to adhere to the ceasefire and stop the war of genocide and ethnic cleansing against our people.

Urgent | Hamas: We appreciate the efforts of the brothers in #الجزائر and the countries in the Security Council that are working to stop the Zionist aggression and war of annihilation.

https://x.com/AJABreaking/status/1772288006461739292?s=20

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...0000#1721707678
The Prime Minister's Office announced, following the passing of the UN resolution calling for a cease-fire, that the U.S. decision not to veto a resolution that supports a cease-fire without the release of the hostages hurts the war effort and contradicts its stance throughout the war.

According to the announcement, "This withdrawal hurts both the war effort and the effort to release the hostages, because it gives Hamas hope that international pressure will allow them to accept a cease-fire without the release of our abductees."

In light of this, the Prime Minister Netanyahu has decided to cancel the delegation to Washington.
I mean, i read the solution and it demands a temporary ceasefire for Ramadan, and demands the release of the hostages. It sucks rear end dont know what these losers are complaining about

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

I mean, i read the solution and it demands a temporary ceasefire for Ramadan, and demands the release of the hostages. It sucks rear end dont know what these losers are complaining about

The resolution said temporary leading to lasting, and the resolution didnt specify whose hostages, it's a blow for israel.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
here's the full text

quote:

The Security Council,

Guided by the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations,

Recalling all of its relevant resolutions on the situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian question,

Reiterating its demand that all parties comply with their obligations under international law, including international humanitarian law and international human rights law, and in this regard deploring all attacks against civilians and civilian objects, as well as all violence and hostilities against civilians, and all acts of terrorism, and recalling that the taking of hostages is prohibited under international law;

Expressing deep concern about the catastrophic humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip,

Acknowledging the ongoing diplomatic efforts by Egypt, Qatar and the United States, aimed at reaching a cessation of hostilities, releasing the hostages and increasing the provision and distribution of humanitarian aid,

1. Demands an immediate ceasefire for the month of Ramadan respected by all parties leading to a lasting sustainable ceasefire, and also demands the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages, as well as ensuring humanitarian access to address their medical and other humanitarian needs, and further demands that the parties comply with their obligations under international law in relation to all persons they detain;

2. Emphasizes the urgent need to expand the flow of humanitarian assistance to and reinforce the protection of civilians in the entire Gaza Strip and reiterates its demand for the lifting of all barriers to the provision of humanitarian assistance at scale, in line with international humanitarian law as well as resolutions 2712 (2023) and 2720 (2023);

3. Decides to remain actively seized of the matter.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

hopefully it leads to more israel infighting

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Israeli piglet at the UN crying and wailing and gnashing his teeth right now

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Netanyahu seems to have spread straight up disinformation about how the resolution doesn't demand the release of hostages and some Israeli outlets reported it like that, for example this:

"The US didn't veto: a UN resolution has been passed calling for an immediate ceasefire without the condition to release hostages, Netanyahu promised - the Israeli delegation to Washington will be canceled"

https://twitter.com/GLZRadio/status/1772272845470445673?t=t0lcmofD3cKse11iRFPemQ&s=19

which I guess explains why some people are mad at it, but I don't get why Netanyahu would do that? What's the deal here lol

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Mar 25, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sancho Banana posted:

So they didn't remove "permanent" entirely, rather they changed it to the more vague "lasting sustainable".

I'm sure this indicates intention to act in good faith

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Al-Saqr posted:

The resolution said temporary leading to lasting, and the resolution didnt specify whose hostages, it's a blow for israel.
Yeah I guess so, I didn't see that hamas response posted just above my post

actually a few signs lately that even Americans are tiring of israels genocidal bloodlust:
a) AOC saying g-word
b) kamala saying nothnig is ruled out if Israel attacks rafah (previously US had already in advance ruled out ever limiting arms supplies)
c) that white house statement I think it was saying Israel does not realize how close it is to completely losing the whole world
d) the US abstaining here i guess, considering israel is tantrumming about it

of course this is simultaneous to what is, to me, a fairly clear israeli decision that nothing whatsoever is out of bounds in northern gaza and any palestinian who remains there can be raped/executed/etc without limit. Disgusting, appaling, sickening, etc

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

actually a few signs lately that even Americans are tiring of israels genocidal bloodlust:
a) AOC saying g-word
b) kamala saying nothnig is ruled out if Israel attacks rafah (previously US had already in advance ruled out ever limiting arms supplies)
c) that white house statement I think it was saying Israel does not realize how close it is to completely losing the whole world
d) the US abstaining here i guess, considering israel is tantrumming about it

of course this is simultaneous to what is, to me, a fairly clear israeli decision that nothing whatsoever is out of bounds in northern gaza and any palestinian who remains there can be raped/executed/etc without limit. Disgusting, appaling, sickening, etc
aoc is a worthless loser
b is meaningless because shes a moron they role out as pr genocide joe has already said multiple times hes never cutting aid to israel

you can make the argument though that the us is getting tired of being dragged down alongside israel which seems to be the case but the us just passed almost another 4 billion in military aid to israel continued the unrwa ban and defunded the un dep to investigateisrael

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Sancho Banana posted:

which I guess explains why some people are mad at it, but I don't get why Netanyahu would do that? What's the deal here lol

hard to read it as anything other than a belief on his end that israel's current position as the tail that wags the american dog is natural law, as opposed to a result of the fact that our political establishment and particularly our thin-skinned, sundowning u.s. president have always loved israel and its apartheid regime because it serves their ends and values. reads as an effort to publicly embarrass and rewrite reality to make Biden acquiesce, which will surely work on a famously pugnacious man prone to taking offense

Valentin has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Mar 25, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wow the Israeli guy in the UN is really making GBS threads his diapers bigtime.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Al-Saqr posted:

literally 30 minutes before the UN resolution, Hamas launched rockets on Asdod, a fitting message to the israelis that on the moment of ceasefire they didnt accomplish jack poo poo

https://x.com/AJA_Palestine/status/1772281354316587426?s=20

did a ceasefire actually occur? i thought this was just the UN telling them to implement one.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Al-Saqr posted:

netanyahu is pooping his pamps

=====

Netanyahu cancels Israeli delegation's visit to Washington

The Israeli Prime Minister’s Court said Benjamin Netanyahu canceled an Israeli delegation’s visit to Washington after it abstained from voting on the UN Security Council resolution demanding an immediate ceasefire in the Gaza Strip.

For his part, US National Security Council Strategic Communications Coordinator John Kirby said that the US abstention from voting on the Security Council resolution “does not represent a shift in our policy,” explaining, “We did not vote in favor of the resolution and we simply abstain because the final formula does not include enthusiastically condemnation.”

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31605;&%231606;

seems like cancelling your suck-and-gently caress tour through washington will only be more harmful to your cause as netty boy here

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

lol these nazis cant help themselves they have to open a second front

Israeli Defense Minister: Stopping the war in Gaza may bring a war closer to the northern front

https://x.com/AJArabic/status/1772292143819960438?s=20

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

theres no ceasefire theres been on-going negotiations for months

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

it's moments like this I kinda wish I still had twitter so I can see immediate reactions but then I remember that I've had 10 days of perfect mental serenity so I dont miss it at all.

I think I speak for many of us when I say that we appreciate your updates, commentary, and perspective, but your mental health is more important than this specific thread on these forums. Don't go back.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sancho Banana posted:

Netanyahu seems to have spread straight up disinformation about how the resolution doesn't demand the release of hostages and some Israeli outlets reported it like that, for example this:

"The US didn't veto: a UN resolution has been passed calling for an immediate ceasefire without the condition to release hostages, Netanyahu promised - the Israeli delegation to Washington will be canceled"

https://twitter.com/GLZRadio/status/1772272845470445673?t=t0lcmofD3cKse11iRFPemQ&s=19

The resolution does not name a single party (i.e. Hamas) in the order to release hostages. That is what Israel is looking for. The order is neutral, meaning Israel would have to release their prisoners/hostages in exchange.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

lol these nazis cant help themselves they have to open a second front

Israeli Defense Minister: Stopping the war in Gaza may bring a war closer to the northern front

https://x.com/AJArabic/status/1772292143819960438?s=20

Well, they can't just NOT do a war, of course

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Gallant is also mad, saying "we have no ethical right to stop the war in Gaza until we return all the hostages to their homes".

https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1772290089554440482?t=Ck2Ks_INToreYoFe66iQWA&s=19

They seem to be living in some collective delusion that the resolution demands Israel to stop fighting unconditionally, it's weird lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Raccooon posted:

https://x.com/aoc/status/1772047796004163828?s=46&t=q1yioAlNJ1Wnv5VQrEw_AA

AOC getting into it with the ADL now.

Isn’t the South African update to the ICJ soon? I would be amazed if the ICJ doesn’t go further into this is genocide at this point.

degaussed!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Hamas put out a statement, they welcome the resolution and have immediately jumped on the neutral wording of the 'hostage release' clause

=================================

Hamas has had a slogan demanding an "all for all" prisoner exchange since October. It's not surprising to see them embrace that neutral wording.

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

Sancho Banana posted:

When Netanyahu says "hostages" he only means Israeli ones. He doesn't regard Palestinians as hostages because he would have to regard them as human first. But the resolution had to specify only Israeli hostages for him to take it to his cabinet so he's fuming as this will undermine him whatever he does.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The resolution does not name a single party (i.e. Hamas) in the order to release hostages. That is what Israel is looking for. The order is neutral, meaning Israel would have to release their prisoners/hostages in exchange.

its a fun little rhetorical double bind because if you specify the release of hamas-held hostages only youre admitting that israel also takes hostages regularly

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

actually we were planning to veto the resolution but that annoying bitch bibi promised to not come if we let it pass

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Fast Luck posted:

a) AOC saying g-word

I would not hold your breath on any of these. All of it is election season PR.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

if i were given the choice id be a hamas hostage every time, even with the isreali bombs and starvation

id rather be cared for than beaten and raped daily personally.

its fantastic that everyone knows that this is the reality yet we have to cry over the hostages that hamas took ONLY

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I would not hold your breath on any of these. All of it is election season PR.

yep like tossing kamala out there to talk about "rescheduling" marijuana

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Al-Saqr posted:

the resolution passed, sadly we need to see the actual wording, the lack of the word 'permament' is a big boon to the israelis and if the resolution demands the release of the hostages than Hamas lost alot of its cards.

Al-Saqr posted:

now thinking on it, the neutral wording on the hostage clause is extremely significant and a major loss for israel, hamas can claim many thousands of people are hostages of israel

🇵🇸:derp:🇺🇳

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

actually we were planning to veto the resolution but that annoying bitch bibi promised to not come if we let it pass

The Biden admin is so myopic and petty, I wouldn't be surprised if this actually played a role. Tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of deaths are of no consequence to them, but avoiding a meeting with annoying Zionists gets them to do poo poo.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
how long has it been since the nasrallah teaser trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

how long has it been since the nasrallah teaser trailer

nasrallahs been overtaken by Yahya Sinwar as an islamic hero at this point