Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

For ARR books, you gotta hand in specific crafted/gathered items. For later books, it just costs scrips. ARR books can be obtained from these guys, in Revenant's Toll:

Everything else can be bought from scrip vendors or "splendors" vendors that appear by the main city aetheryte of each expansion, once you clear that expansion's story.

edit: I just checked and the splendors NPCs in the three starter cities sell every single master book except for the ARR ones (I and II), all for white scrips.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

I see there are a number of recipes that require special crafting books. Is there a sequence I have to do those in with scrips, or a particular vendor? I think I sleptwalk past that briefing, or I saw it in 2018 on my way to go fight an evil rabbit lady.
You can go to any Splendors Vendor (there's one in all the main city-states, and expansion cities that have the Tomestone vendors (e.g. Idyllshire, Rhalgr's Reach, etc.)) and buy all of them from III+ for Crafter's Scrip.

The first two Master Crafting books are the only weird ones - you have to go to Mor Dhona and buy them from Talan for relevant items - Master I is for level 50 starred recipes you have normally, Master II is for a recipe out of Master I. (You may need to talk to Guiding Star first to unlock this.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hrmmmm okay. Do I need to unlock the ARR ones before doing the later ones?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nope. They're not locked behind prior books, and I don't think they're even blocked between lower tier books in the same expo.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

While we're talkin' crafting, I want to give a shout out to a few categories of crafts that are easy to miss.

ARM/GSM/LTW/WVR have some neat "Replica" glamour gear tucked away in the "sidequests" menu. Materials for those are bought for Ishgard Restoration scrips, or on the MB.

ALC have a giant pile of flower accessories hidden away beneath the "dyes" menu. Notice the arrow icons right by the '1-100' text. This menu has an extra page with more items in it. I can't think of a single other crafting menu with enough items to need a second page, so it's easy to miss. These accessories do count towards crafting log achievements.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I can't think of a single other crafting menu with enough items to need a second page, so it's easy to miss. These accessories do count towards crafting log achievements.
Notably, this was a menu category change made back in 5.3. Before then, all those recipes were just in the Alchemist main book.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

While we're talkin' crafting, I want to give a shout out to a few categories of crafts that are easy to miss.

ARM/GSM/LTW/WVR have some neat "Replica" glamour gear tucked away in the "sidequests" menu. Materials for those are bought for Ishgard Restoration scrips, or on the MB.

These are all primo glam options and I love that they're All Classes, but drat I hope they do this again with more sets in Dawntrail.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Mostly I'm just hoping they give the Replica Sky Pirate stuff the double-dye-channel treatment, because good golly molly the Fending/Maiming chests do not dye well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I've got a very weird question: are there NPCs anywhere in FFXIV that are confirmed to have an eyepatch because they lost an eye? I feel like there has to be one, but you can't pull up a character creator to get that information, and there are reasons people with two functioning eyes wear an eyepatch especially in a setting like this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

So I've got a very weird question: are there NPCs anywhere in FFXIV that are confirmed to have an eyepatch because they lost an eye? I feel like there has to be one, but you can't pull up a character creator to get that information, and there are reasons people with two functioning eyes wear an eyepatch especially in a setting like this.

Riol. you can see the scars from whatever got it across his face.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 25, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Riol. you can see the scares from whatever got it across his face.

and unlike Thancred we know he's not a poser

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FuturePastNow posted:

Riol is my good friend and would never lie to me. Cheat at cards to steal every spare gil I have on me? Absolutely, but that's just his way. He's got a criminal mind, but not a criminal soul.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

What was with that one time Thancred had a different colored eye. Did the writers or character designers forget?

…………..did he buy a colored contact to be more angsty?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He was probably trying to impress a date

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

hopeandjoy posted:

What was with that one time Thancred had a different colored eye. Did the writers or character designers forget?

…………..did he buy a colored contact to be more angsty?

Thancred's had the most different character models of every character in teh game and nobody talks aobut it, it's weird. People rag on the idea that Y'shtola's skin got like, a shade or two lighter, they never noticed the fact Thancred's got darker.

Also, huge thanks for pointing out Riol; I recalled he had an eyepatch, but didn't recall he had the scar! For context I'm working on something around disabilities as presented in FFXIV, so I'm just trying to compile a list. And 'one eye' seemed like an important one to highlight, since in fiction people often forget that actually is a disability because we just read it as 'cool character trait that never causes problems'.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

does thancred count as disabled in the context of ff14 because he broke his magic gland

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

a cartoon duck posted:

does thancred count as disabled in the context of ff14 because he broke his magic gland

Yes but also he's guilty of stealing garlean valor. Which evens things out.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Thancred is a rogue from Limsa, so he prob wears an eyepatch to keep night vision good in that eye so he can sneak below deck and snatch something from a pitch black hold if he needs to

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

a cartoon duck posted:

Yes, actually, it's treated as a disability within the context of the story. Fantasy disabilities count, so also in the mix is the Crystal Exarch's ongoing crystallization, and even for sin eater corruption.

I'm on the fence about considering tempering, that one could get dicey.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Surely tempering and sin eater corruption are functionally very similar?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

lines posted:

Surely tempering and sin eater corruption are functionally very similar?

Basically the issue there is that one of them is treated as an illness in-universe, but the other isn't.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They're the same illness. Tempering can be reversed because it is a lesser stage. Sin Eaters and anyone sufficiently transformed in a similar fashion are functionally new life forms. As I recall they're both treated as an illness but once somebody's very essence and soul becomes Voidsent or the like it's beyond the settings current science/magical theory. Are they too far gone? Well never say never but it was a painstakingly won breakthrough to treat tempering. Who knows what further steps may come.

Notable example is that Zero gets a bit better in 6.1 on because you have a blessing from a goddess.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cleretic posted:

Basically the issue there is that one of them is treated as an illness in-universe, but the other isn't.

I think that mirrors quite a lot of real-world illnesses, looking back with even an incredibly casual knowledge of the history of health and medicine. Particularly mental illnesses.

Also, now that there's a cure, tempering is being treated as an illness.

I don't know the specifics of what you're working on, though, so those points may not matter.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
What about the tonberries from the Scholar job quests? Do we count that transformation as a disability or an illness? Especially given that (Shadowbringers spoilers) you actually help figure out a way to undo the transformation once you've completed the Healer role quest chain.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Onean posted:

I think that mirrors quite a lot of real-world illnesses, looking back with even an incredibly casual knowledge of the history of health and medicine. Particularly mental illnesses.

Also, now that there's a cure, tempering is being treated as an illness.

I don't know the specifics of what you're working on, though, so those points may not matter.

That's... actually, a very good point. I hadn't considered it like that. And we can probably also see them as parallel to actual diseases we also see, like the tonberry plague or the disease Lamitt was trying to cure.

I'm not sure if that all means it warrants a whole section or a total omission as just a separate thing, this video idea's in a very nascent stage; I'm currently trying to figure out what the actual range of the subject is before I nail down exactly what I'm saying.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tempering doesn't really align with the way we talk about disability or mental health and attempts to force it into that framework are going to do both subjects a disservice imo. The idea that it's a "curable" mental condition and that that is not just possible but preferable kind of spoils that reading. The idea of tempered peoples as perfectly indoctrinated and subservient is somewhat solipsistic as well, if we're taking this all the way to its natural conclusion.

I'm not criticizing the game, I do broadly enjoy its handling of the subject, I'm just saying I don't think this is an applicable metaphor to apply to this topic. Chronic illness probably makes more sense as a framework, but not everything is going to be one-to-one, it's fantasy.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 25, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah, tempering is also a very intentional antagonism device because of the extra rider the Ascians put into the summoning rites. Absent that it's still pretty fantasy and alien to our understanding of disease.

The closest thing I can think of is to imagine that IRL you could be infused with so much mineral energy that you change from a carbon lifeform to a mineral one. Even that's not a clean 1:1, as a tempered person remains largely themselves save for the elemental imbalance until that imbalance passes a line and they transform.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Come with me into this freezer so I can tell you about ice-9.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Arist posted:

Tempering doesn't really align with the way we talk about disability or mental health and attempts to force it into that framework are going to do both subjects a disservice imo. The idea that it's a "curable" mental condition and that that is not just possible but preferable kind of spoils that reading. The idea of tempered peoples as perfectly indoctrinated and subservient is somewhat solipsistic as well, if we're taking this all the way to its natural conclusion.

I'm not criticizing the game, I do broadly enjoy its handling of the subject, I'm just saying I don't think this is an applicable metaphor to apply to this topic. Chronic illness probably makes more sense as a framework, but not everything is going to be one-to-one, it's fantasy.

yeah "the game doesn't treat tempering as a long-term condition but as fantasy brainwashing, while corruption by sin eater aether is pretty much textually treated as a terminal illness" is actually a very good reason to treat them differently in analysis, unless intentionally reading against what the game presents is the point. not every genre analogy or metaphor is meant to be extended and FFXIV generally does an okay job subtly tapping the brakes on that stuff (I'd say a similar "this is an intentional non-real fantasy bit you actually can't try to analogize it to the real world or it breaks" element is the Sundering)

tempering and corruption have similarities in the lore but are definitely not meant to be considered 1:1 in any respect. one clue to this is that it's called corruption and not tempering, and they continually call it corruption and treat it as related to but not identical to tempering (contrast how quickly the game universally adopts Etheirys as terminology)

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 25, 2024

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Tempering and light/dark poisoning are literally the exact same corruption of the soul and body, except that tempering goes a step further and manipulates the victims thoughts and memories to obsessively worship or be loyal to the primal.

Light/dark imbalance alone doesn't do that because there's no consciousness enforcing its will, which is why you get basically nothing in the head of a sineater, and activity in the head of a voidsent.

You could feasibly have a fire or water type *sent in the worlds that got consumed by those elements.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 25, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

So in the Sage quest line there's an entire thing about Aetherspurn people who, due to an illness, are unable to process aether from food. That might be worth including.

Though it does raise the question: If Aetherspurn counts, what about Voidsent?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tempering and light/dark poisoning are literally the exact same corruption of the soul and body, except that tempering goes a step further and manipulates the victims thoughts and memories to obsessively worship or be loyal to the primal.

Light/dark imbalance alone doesn't do that because there's no consciousness enforcing its will, which is why you get basically nothing in the head of a sineater, and activity in the head of a voidsent.

You could feasibly have a fire or water type *sent in the worlds that got consumed by those elements.

Oh this is why all voidsent are Like That in terms of personality!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ImpAtom posted:

So in the Sage quest line there's an entire thing about Aetherspurn people who, due to an illness, are unable to process aether from food. That might be worth including.

Though it does raise the question: If Aetherspurn counts, what about Voidsent?

Reverse phenyloketonuria

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
i finished a zodiac zeta weapon this weekend and christ, what a saga. at least now i know how to use mysterious maps as a poetics dump for future relics

i've done a few anima weapons and apart from the first time they're easy, just the one light farm that's trivial in any 90 dps or tank class. i can crank one out in a couple hours because i've been using the materials as poetics dumps.

this is another level. the books are time consuming, and then the (first) light farm is longer than i'd have liked plus the bonuses are hard to find or not worth going for in the first place. and then you have to do some repeatable quests and buy poo poo from random places as well as dump seals and poetics, and then you have to go craft up one item from every crafter using stuff that you can only get from desynthing stuff sold from a backwater shop

and then you have to go light farming again and this one's also a minor poetics dump, only you can't prepurchase anything. at least as NIN i could do thornmarch ex in ~30 seconds

also all the NPCs you need to talk to largely don't have quests or any persistent way to see where they're at. did you not have enough poetics and forget where the mahatma guy is? better look it up. really, keep a guide open the whole time because unlike every other relic line, you get the directions once and the quest completes and there's no indication of what step you're on or what you have to do.

i'll be doing it again at least once for curtana because that pld set is still so fuckin good. but it's nuts to think about people who did all 10, especially anyone who did them on the free trial

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

parasyte posted:

i finished a zodiac zeta weapon this weekend and christ, what a saga. at least now i know how to use mysterious maps as a poetics dump for future relics

i've done a few anima weapons and apart from the first time they're easy, just the one light farm that's trivial in any 90 dps or tank class. i can crank one out in a couple hours because i've been using the materials as poetics dumps.

this is another level. the books are time consuming, and then the (first) light farm is longer than i'd have liked plus the bonuses are hard to find or not worth going for in the first place. and then you have to do some repeatable quests and buy poo poo from random places as well as dump seals and poetics, and then you have to go craft up one item from every crafter using stuff that you can only get from desynthing stuff sold from a backwater shop

and then you have to go light farming again and this one's also a minor poetics dump, only you can't prepurchase anything. at least as NIN i could do thornmarch ex in ~30 seconds

also all the NPCs you need to talk to largely don't have quests or any persistent way to see where they're at. did you not have enough poetics and forget where the mahatma guy is? better look it up. really, keep a guide open the whole time because unlike every other relic line, you get the directions once and the quest completes and there's no indication of what step you're on or what you have to do.

i'll be doing it again at least once for curtana because that pld set is still so fuckin good. but it's nuts to think about people who did all 10, especially anyone who did them on the free trial

They used to be worse. The drop rates on the original atma were so bad that I simply did not see some drops until they were nerfed just because I kept getting bad RNG rolls.

The original relic questline was a major timesink because they were still scrambling to fix 1.0 issues that were still present and make heavensward.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

He didn't break it. F'lowshtola did.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

They used to be worse. The drop rates on the original atma were so bad that I simply did not see some drops until they were nerfed just because I kept getting bad RNG rolls.

They used to be 1% drop rate instead of ~25% and iirc they initially announced one of the wrong zone names at release so people spent a day or two farming the wrong zone entirely

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

i think the reason behind this is because on the First, it can happen as a gradual thing over a long period because of the constant exposure to the ambient Light. you don't have to encounter a sin eater to get it. it's just in the loving air.

when it happens in eorzea it's because boom a primal showed up and boom you're all tempered instantly now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

Chronic illness might be a good way of putting it. Every time I try to think about how the game handles Tempering I have to try and reconcile it being very blase about it on one end (most people tempered by Ifrit and Leviathan for example) and then really hammering it in others (Ga Bu mainly, Tiamat to an extent). Ga Bu is the main one for "treating it like a disability" but also kinda his whole point was Alisae approaching him and the condition differently from how they usually do.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Every time I try to do more Zodiac the books are what get me. I love when I can just settle in for a grind, and the books are big grinds, but they only let you take a little piece at a time and you need to keep moving around and shifting gears. If you could do them att al once, just go to one of the areas and kill everything for a while? Settle in for half a dozen levequests from the same guy? I'd love it.