Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Those stationary turrets are a big reason I swapped to EATs (or Ill take the RR, but ironically EATs feel more ammo efficient). Once the spear works ill never put it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the problem with bots is they hog all of the really unfun mission modifiers like 1 less stratagem slot. they also have far more things that the level itself throws at you that are frustrating to deal with. the artillery, cannons, and eye of sauron are all significantly tougher to deal with than anything the bugs have except stalker nests. so the sum of that is people just skip over bots if they just want to gently caress around with friends and blow stuff up.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dyz posted:

Those stationary turrets are a big reason I swapped to EATs (or Ill take the RR, but ironically EATs feel more ammo efficient). Once the spear works ill never put it down.

They take 3 shots to take out in the vent from the AC, 6 from AMR, probably only one from EAT or RR and orbital laser can take out two with a single throw assuming they don't get distracted by heavy bots. Sometimes they're still bullshit like many things in this game but most of the time they can be handled fairly easy if you know how and are paying attention.

Rocket devastators are probably the thing that kills me most often and it's usually either because I was pushing my luck or not paying attention, though sometimes they'll pull some real bullshit like sniping me in the head with a missile from over 100M away while crouched behind a rock.

The guys that fly at you then explode in your face kill me somewhat frequently too, those guys suck.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Dyz posted:

Its weird, all I see here are 1s and 0s.

It's weird, all I can hear is bug sounds.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Roundboy posted:

Bots are horribly broken and need a pass.

SO. MANY. DROPSHIPS. even on trivial. Everyone calls in a flare. So many 1 shot kills from bots that can track through walls.. and can shoot much further then you can see on the fog planet.

Its next to impossible to take out a dropship with anything less then a rocket. It seems every bot needs a full mag of MG ammo to a weak spot to take out one, and there are usually a couple dozen after a few mins with constant drops

I agree with LazyMaybe. I guess it's subjective, but I find bots easier. The bot-game plays a lot like a traditional 3rd person shooter, it's like Ghost Recon with a Terminator reskin. There are fewer enemies total, pretty much every enemy can be killed by small arms fire from range. You get bum-rushed by stuff a lot less and you can melt into the woods/hills any time you think a fight won't go your way with very minimal risk of being followed/outpaced. You can also make better use of chokepoints and popping in and out of cover to clear whole waves where bugs would circle you faster or require a stratagem to slow down. Also clearing the smaller dudes means the others have no way of calling in reinforcements.

I'm wondering if part of the reason people think bots are harder is because it doesn't lean into bombastic, freewheelin' vibe of the game as much. You just can't run through groups of enemies spamming cluster bombs behind you. You have to be meticulous which can feel kind of at odds with the tone of the game, but if you are being meticulous the problems are actually all easier to solve IMO. Take a shield backpack if one-shots are getting annoying.

I also don't think it's worth trying to shoot down the dropships, just drop an airstrike where the bots are going to land, or get in some cover and take them out one by one. I tend to run scorcher, redeemer, stun grenades, shield backpack, AMR, airstrike and rocket pods (the latter two things will bust most objectives, factories, turrets and tanks so you can get away without having regular grenades more easily than in bug missions.)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Actually bots are harder because they can shoot guns and flames at you so the strategy of just running away from your problems doesn't work as much

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

lay down smokes first, then run from your problems

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
You absolutely can run from your problems, though. I know stories about being one-shot by rockets from across the map are really common, but I think that's just because of how unfair it can feel when it happens rather than being indicative of bots having actually good aim. Their aim sucks. Maybe 1 in 10 rockets is on target, and if you're sprinting away and weaving in and out of cover it's really, really rare that anything short of an aggroed stationary turret will hit you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RandomBlue posted:

I only fight bots and generally in a team of two and we're doing 7's now. There are only certain bots that can call in reinforcements and there's a very obvious animation that plays out with a glowing flare gun being held up a bit before firing. Only the smallest bots call in reinforcements and as soon as you see a red glow from one of them you should take them out.
Oh, specific exception to this: if there is a "detector tower" on the map, looking around with a red searchlight, get out of line of sight of the searchlight/scanning beam thing.
It will continually call in dropships as long as it sees people.

I suspect many complaints of bots being impossible stem from firsttime encounters with these.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
They definitely overtuned the bot extermination missions though. They were too easy before but now they are a nightmare, just non-stop drops with tons of tanks and hulks. The only way we've been able to finish them with two people is by cheesing the terrain and spawning on top of tall rocks with a bunch of turrets and orbital lasers.

LazyMaybe posted:

Oh, specific exception to this: if there is a "detector tower" on the map, looking around with a red searchlight, get out of line of sight of the searchlight/scanning beam thing.
It will continually call in dropships as long as it sees people.

I suspect many complaints of bots being impossible stem from firsttime encounters with these.

Yeah, that's the eye of sauron I was referring to in my post. Orbital laser takes them out easily unless it gets distracted by bots.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RandomBlue posted:

They definitely overtuned the bot extermination missions though. They were too easy before but now they are a nightmare, just non-stop drops with tons of tanks and hulks. The only way we've been able to finish them with two people is by cheesing the terrain and spawning on top of tall rocks with a bunch of turrets and orbital lasers.

How did you do them before? I always just place a mortar turret and stand on the tallest hill throwing stratagems every direction. I usually bring a lil drone buddy so I don't have to watch my own rear end

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

ChaseSP posted:

Spear is a janky piece of poo poo from all my experience trying to use it against bugs, and the RR is generally enough to kill everything barring tanks in a single shot when talking about bots. I just use the later or an ac/railgun depending on mood.
Spear is a janky piece of poo poo on bots as well. I've been trying to make it work all weekend and I'm done with it.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Turrets are the prime target of the Spear. It can kill them from across the map regardless of whether or not you can see the vents.
I literally can't get it to lock on turrets. Or any other bot special building. Sometimes it'll lock a factory. Sometime it'll lock a tank, and that's the only thing that piece of poo poo is good for. It will not lock a dropship for me. It won't lock a devastator, but will lock the tiny bot behind it. If you try to lock a unit moving towards you 50/50 chance the missile veers off and misses and instagibs you instead.

I want to bring more than autocannons and EATs, but the other interesting weapons I want to bring don't loving work.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Joel (the GM) dropping into random games and giving out an APC

https://twitter.com/Helldiversmedia/status/1771900000202870872/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1771900000202870872&currentTweetUser=Helldiversmedia

Extremely sick.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

jokes posted:

How did you do them before? I always just place a mortar turret and stand on the tallest hill throwing stratagems every direction

The drops used to have a much longer delay between them and the maps had a more complex base the bots had to path through that gave you plenty of time to handle them. Now the drops are much faster, the number of kills required was tripled (or close to it) and the bases are much more open.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The devs have explicitly stated that they do not do this and all instances of this stuff happening are hackers

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

johnny park posted:

The devs have explicitly stated that they do not do this and all instances of this stuff happening are hackers

a likely story

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

They take 3 shots to take out in the vent from the AC, 6 from AMR, probably only one from EAT or RR and orbital laser can take out two with a single throw assuming they don't get distracted by heavy bots. Sometimes they're still bullshit like many things in this game but most of the time they can be handled fairly easy if you know how and are paying attention.

Rocket devastators are probably the thing that kills me most often and it's usually either because I was pushing my luck or not paying attention, though sometimes they'll pull some real bullshit like sniping me in the head with a missile from over 100M away while crouched behind a rock.

The guys that fly at you then explode in your face kill me somewhat frequently too, those guys suck.

Maybe I'm getting the visual bug but I believe the EAT/RR/Spear can damage them from any angle.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

johnny park posted:

Ahh man :colbert:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Do any of just spawn in without your pistol? Or maybe it somehow gets dropped in game?

I don't know what is happening but every now and then, I just don't have my pistol anymore.

Also for bots, the group shield dome perk is really amazing against them. If two people run it that's like 100% uptime on it.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 25, 2024

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
changing my steam username to "helldivers ceo [dev] [real]" and getting reddit all riled up when i start teamkilling indiscriminately

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

BadLlama posted:

Do any of just spawn in without your pistol? Or maybe it somehow gets dropped in game?

I don't know what is happening but every now and then, I just don't have my pistol anymore.

Kinda, in that a couple nights ago I lost my primary weapon. And the mission was going well so there weren't any lying about on corpses to rob, so I was just pistol and autocannoning for most of the game.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Slyphic posted:

Kinda, in that a couple nights ago I lost my primary weapon. And the mission was going well so there weren't any lying about on corpses to rob, so I was just pistol and autocannoning for most of the game.

I've lost my primary once or twice as well.

Maybe the requisition order for it never made it to the super destroyer.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Tommy the Newt posted:

You absolutely can run from your problems, though. I know stories about being one-shot by rockets from across the map are really common, but I think that's just because of how unfair it can feel when it happens rather than being indicative of bots having actually good aim. Their aim sucks. Maybe 1 in 10 rockets is on target, and if you're sprinting away and weaving in and out of cover it's really, really rare that anything short of an aggroed stationary turret will hit you.

Yeah, bots are slow as hell, they'll keep blind firing but you can weave out of the area pretty quick.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Also important to note that shooting in their direction suppresses their accuracy. And you can hipfire 1 handed weapons directly behind you while running.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

BadLlama posted:

I've lost my primary once or twice as well.
I lost it a good bit into the mission. At least 5 minutes in. I remember diving out of the path of a nursing spewer while switching to the autocannon, and then after it was dead I couldn't switch back to my primary (defender).

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Dyz posted:

Maybe I'm getting the visual bug but I believe the EAT/RR/Spear can damage them from any angle.

You can damage them from any angle, but only shots to the vents will be 'efficient' about it - same as killing tanks.
The SPEAR sometimes* bypasses this entirely by 'hitting the top armor' or whatever - and in the case of turrets, it overwhelmingly leads to a one-shot. *when it wants to lock on, that is

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I do love the spear, the lock on dance you have to do to get it to lock is truly silly though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One important thing about tanks is that due to them being extremely wide, flat targets that move very slowly (when they move at all), the humble Eagle Airstrike will reliably oneshot them. Between that and an autocannon, you've got all the anti-armour capability you need in all but the most hectic firefights, which frees up your other stratagem slots significantly.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Just did a difficulty 7 on Mantes against Bots. The pubbies spent 10 minutes and 10 reinforcements assaulting a mortar base AFTER I completed the main objective single handedly. Then two of them either dropped or quit.

I grabbed the super samples and booked it. They were trying to take every single fight and meanwhile I just ran across the entire map through the jungle twice, once carrying the SSD and once to evac.

I wasn’t even wearing stealth armor I was just runnin.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Pubbies are entranced by 120/380 barrages and defending random turf without running away. They never seem to realize that hit da bricks is the ideal strategy when you find yourself defending mounds of nothing and the barrages never hit a drat thing (besides yourself).

Especially comedic when you're in the extraction countdown, a pubbie is prepping a barrage, and they get shot, leading to the barrage right on their head.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

brick-hitting is optimal but not really that fun. It's a lot funner to just dig in and blow poo poo up

I personally like to play commando, though, so I end up doing objectives but I totally understand the idea that if you're under attack, you should kill all the dudes attacking you. It's fun!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Pubbies are entranced by 120/380 barrages and defending random turf without running away. They never seem to realize that hit da bricks is the ideal strategy when you find yourself defending mounds of nothing and the barrages never hit a drat thing (besides yourself).

Especially comedic when you're in the extraction countdown, a pubbie is prepping a barrage, and they get shot, leading to the barrage right on their head.

I will defend the 380mm barrage when combined with hitting da bricks, though. It's an excellent way of ensuring that a major enemy stronghold/pursuing enemy horde has an exceedingly unpleasant time while you go somewhere else and do something else until the dust settles. Just understand that it's purely a hit-and-run attack, not something for you to stick around and enjoy.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I like taking fights too, I blew up a bunch of stuff with the auto cannon.

The problem with the SSD missions are I always forget to bring an SMG and I hate dropping the drat thing to fight because I can never find it and I’m worried it’s going to roll off a cliff or down a hole or something. So I was beelining the objective hard.

The 1 remaining pubbie had both the 180 and the 380 orbital strikes and he had a blast defending evac. I had EMS Mortar which is insanely overpowered against bots.

That was the first time I used Slugger on bots too and now I love it. I may never be able to use a different weapon, it’s just too much fun firing big ole honking slugs at everything.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Looking forward to the flavor text on the patch where they fix the Spears. "Thanks to generous donations Super Earth rocket manufacturers are now able to afford targeting computers in all deployed Spear launchers."

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

My biggest problem with the SSD missions is the drat T-pose bug, that doesn't always work itself out until you die. Sometimes you can fix it by changing weapons, sometimes its just like Na dog.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

novaSphere posted:

lay down smokes first, then run from your problems

This is unironically THE pro tip.

Breaking LOS will absolutely save all of your rear end.

BadLlama posted:

My biggest problem with the SSD missions is the drat T-pose bug, that doesn't always work itself out until you die. Sometimes you can fix it by changing weapons, sometimes its just like Na dog.

I think you can also fix it by dropping and picking up the SSD again.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 25, 2024

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Buddy loading has fixed it for me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Is the Walking Barrage any good? It seems neat but I feel like it's expecting more coordination than the other ones and it seems pretty situational at the best of times

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

RandomBlue posted:

You're attempting a mission for 4 people with half that amount, why do you think it shouldn't be difficult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

BadLlama posted:

I do love the spear, the lock on dance you have to do to get it to lock is truly silly though.

Same, spear lover here. Just give it 1 more rocket and fix the drat lock and yeah it's better than the recoilless imo.