Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Hopefully you're right and the game gets better and more varied and interesting fairly soon. I'd love to be wrong.

What is selling the game for me is the environments, exploration, and how alive the towns are. Its just a very immersive fantasy sim that I really love. I hate to say this, but I think it might just not be your vibe. There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think your mind will change. The enemy variety doesn't really change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How does the game actually decide what item to use for these? Is it a thing where it always defaults to your strongest one or is it smart about it and only uses the strongest item that would be needed to bring you back to full HP without overhealing? I don't really mind if it overheals with stuff that's easy to get but I don't want to mash a hotkey and have it eat an allcure.

Honestly no idea, I usually just keep some Roeberants and it pretty consistently picks them but I couldn't tell you beyond that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, that's the normal way to get it. Worked for me as well, but if it's anything like the other tomes it might be bugged under certain circumstances. So I'm wondering which NPC (preferably in Vernworth) gives you one guaranteed when you befriend them, that would be great info to add to the sheet.

My assumption was that the book was a general friendship reward from her and that getting it from doing her quest is incidental (just adds enough friendship points that it puts her over the gift threshold) but I guess I don’t actually know that.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

I said come in! posted:

Eh, that's not really fair in my opinion. Elden Ring is great, but it has tons and tons of repeating dungeons and content. You're just redoing many of the same bosses over and over again if you go off the beaten path away from where the main story wants you.

Sorry but no Elden Ring has probably the most amount of unique content of any open world game, that includes this game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Eh, that's not really fair in my opinion. Elden Ring is great, but it has tons and tons of repeating dungeons and content. You're just redoing many of the same bosses over and over again if you go off the beaten path away from where the main story wants you.

the key difference is that DD2's mechanics are all working together to make the experience of traversal and exploration genuinely challenging and interactive, whereas ER is DS3 with a very large open world stapled on, so they gave you a magic horse that can double jump and ignore 95% of enemies so that traversal is about figuring out which small crevasse the mini-dungeons are tucked into and little else

the comparison's not really fair because both games ultimately have different design goals: DD2's open world and the friction of exploring it is the experience, so dungeons are all very straightforward hallways and combat arenas with little variation, whereas ER's open world is a framing device for the much more well constructed and considered legacy dungeons that fromsoft otherwise excels at

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

You can combine any flower with any other flower and create Bunch of Flowers that way. Keep an eye out as you're trekking. Just make sure to deposit them into storage in time, because they can still wilt.

My pawn Amalia (I3IMT7X8R7FH) is still buying those for 10k a bunch if people need gold and want to borrow a level 18 Thief for a bit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I enjoy wandering around a lot more in this. More fun stuff happens and the world generally just feels more "dense" to me.

Part of it is just subjective, though, since I don't really enjoy Elden Ring's thing where everything is at least somewhat dangerous and you have to constantly return to bonfires. I like how you can go on big "expeditions" in this, since the mechanic of max health loss doesn't stop you nearly as quickly as running out of flasks (and campfires are pretty frequent). Wandering alone through "dour and depressing world where everything sucks" in ER is also just kind of a bummer for me, so I like having actual towns/cities in this. I know other people enjoy that, though. I imagine it's the same reason I don't like horror games.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK
Has anyone managed to complete a pawn quest that wants you to rest at different campsites in a specific region? I need to camp at 3 spots in Western Vermund to get 8k, but I cant get it to clear. I've been all over the map resting at different spots. Very annoying.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
My biggest concern for DD2 was that it wouldn't bring over the jank from DD1, which to me is what gave it its charm. For better or worse, all those weird little design choices gave the game a character that no other game has really ever had.

I was really happy to see lots of those bizarre choices stay in DD2, but now we get the flip side of that benefit. Lots of people who didn't really play or know about DD1 got caught up in the hype for the sequel, and they're jumping in headfirst and wondering why all the streamlined RPG design decisions of the past 10-15 years are notably absent. So you get a lot of "WTF is this poo poo" going on with those players.

I get that viewpoint 100%, but to me, the jank IS the game. Not knowing what the quests are exactly, the weird combat styles, the obtuse inventory items, the uncertainty everywhere. There was nothing quite like the original, even to this day - all I wanted was a new one with slightly upgraded features here and there, and largely, I think they hit the mark.

I think if you're not sure about the game but you're kind of enjoying it, give it time to leave its mark on you. Imperfections are not always negatives.

At least, that's what I tell my wife.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

I have to be honest, my impression of this game is getting less positive by the hour. I'm like 10 hours in and have fought probably hundreds of one of like 4 "normal size" enemy types. Bandit, goblin, lizard thing, harpy. Oh wait there's "slime" also. And 3 "big enemy" types, cyclops, bull thing, ape thing. It's starting to get boring.

I just changed from fighter to warrior. Warrior is novel and fun but not a long term thing for me I don't think. Throwing haymakers and knockin poo poo doofus is great and all for a while, but it's too slow and unreliable. You have to commit to being immobile in a location for a while and the game is full of fast moving enemies which just gets frustrating. I think I'm close to unlocking Mystic Spearhand though, which is what I'm looking most forward to. Maybe that will spice the game up enough to carry it.

Overall the jank is interesting and gives the game some color and character that I think is missing from a lot of modern games, but sometimes it's not so much jank as it is "stuff missing that should be there," like lock-on or a way to separate "healing items" from everything else in the inventory, etc.

Jury is still out on what I personally think about the game, but people making comparisons to this and Elden ring are loving high. DD2 is absolutely nowhere close to ER's quality.

That's great news! I'll just look up how to do that. Thanks!

do you use barge on the warrior and are the only attacks you use charge ups? there's specific places those are geared for and warriors have more than charge up abilities, on bargain bin goblins and bandits a barge and an overhead chop will lock them enough to kill them. as far as the lock on goes i dont know, i dont think it needs it - what part of the lock on do you like in something like elden ring? the game is pretty smart about using the sticky soft-lock on it has and warrior charge abilities can be redirected if a monster moves to the side a bit. you can also use goring charge on the warrior and you basically just run at them and can pin them to a wall and doesnt have a charge up period. i think approaching it like a fromsoft souls game is a bit of a mistake that some people are making

warrior takes some getting used to but honestly the biggest thing for them is There's a Time and a Place. their basic attacks are very strong, not everything needs a savage lash

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 25, 2024

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Owl Inspector posted:

Do these item quests automatically disappear the first copy of the item you get?

No, I had to actually open a deliver item dialogue and select the item to complete a pawn quest.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I enjoy wandering around a lot more in this. More fun stuff happens and the world generally just feels more "dense" to me.

Part of it is just subjective, though, since I don't really enjoy Elden Ring's thing where everything is at least somewhat dangerous and you have to constantly return to bonfires. I like how you can go on big "expeditions" in this, since the mechanic of max health loss doesn't stop you nearly as quickly as running out of flasks (and campfires are pretty frequent). Wandering alone through "dour and depressing world where everything sucks" in ER is also just kind of a bummer for me, so I like having actual towns/cities in this. I know other people enjoy that, though. I imagine it's the same reason I don't like horror games.

Yeah one of the nice things about DD is that there are other people on the roads besides you. Even if there's goblins/wolves/harpies every 5 feet, people are still out there wandering around and there's a sense that people actually live in this world rather than it being a massive combat arena. I feel like the issue of repetition comes down more to frequency of encounters rather than variety - the first game had this problem too and it's kind of a shame they didn't address it in 2, but it would probably take way longer to get sick of goblins and such if they spaced them out a bit more so you weren't constantly getting attacked on the road. Being able to just chill and go for a walk would probably help with the vibes a lot. I feel like the large monster encounters remain interesting despite also not having a ton of variety because they are uncommon enough to not get repetitive, but still common enough that you will find plenty of fights if you want to. Like even though I've fought dozens of cyclops at this point, I still go "oh cool a cyclops" and go out of my way to fight it when I spot one.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

My biggest concern for DD2 was that it wouldn't bring over the jank from DD1, which to me is what gave it its charm.

yeah to me, dragons dogma was the most Eastern European Game made in Japan and I loved it for it. I think I've heard it described as "the greatest 7/10 of all time"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Keeping the camera pointed at the monster and your character on target is your job, not the game's job. Glad Capcom recognized this.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there probably should've been another tier of rare encounters that can replace light/medium encounters with unique gimmicks ala diablo with randomized affixes. i don't think level scaling's the answer given the frequency of combat, but peppering in occasional difficulty spikes to previously travelled routes would help to cut up the otherwise predictable slate of encounters

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rascar posted:

Has anyone managed to complete a pawn quest that wants you to rest at different campsites in a specific region? I need to camp at 3 spots in Western Vermund to get 8k, but I cant get it to clear. I've been all over the map resting at different spots. Very annoying.

i did this for a hired pawn near vernworth. no issues. just make sure you're not camping at the same site twice in a row.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

GreatGreen posted:

Jury is still out on what I personally think about the game, but people making comparisons to this and Elden ring are loving high. DD2 is absolutely nowhere close to ER's quality.

agreed but elden ring is the greatest game yet made so its not really a fair comparison

i do hope there are more monsters though as I get a bit further in

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Goddamn the performance on console tanks in the city, they need to patch this poo poo

I’m getting like 15 FPS in spots

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Btw I don't think I was able to give fake gold beetles for quests, although the only one I tried was asking for 9 regardless and the one time I was looking for a gold beetle give quest I couldn't find it in that rift, oh well. I did set up a pawn quest with the fake gold beetle and got a couple of bites, maybe one who hated the trick because they didn't give a like or send a prize.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
My favorite quest so far (I'm early game) has been "go find where this person ran off to." Nothing else - that's it. No clues, not a single word. No map marker, no Witcher footprints. Just "they ran off."

I can't remember the last time a game had something so infuriatingly awesome. Of course I don't know where to start looking. Nobody else in the game world does either. So now I have a kind of passive thing of "while I'm out and about, I need to keep my eyes open for this." That is a departure from the "checklist" RPG and a re-entry into the "here is the world, what are you going to do" approach.

I'd never want that kind of feature in every game I play, that's certain. There's a place for map-marked checklists, and god knows enough games use them. I wonder if I can hire a pawn that can point the way. That itself is an interesting way to think about a game. I love the pawn system so much for that.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Putting the stamina regen augment unlock on rank 9 Mage is cruel. Though I've gotta say, it seems like augments don't do much anyways. Haven't noticed any difference with them and looking at the numbers on the wiki, it's all very minimal.

Like, Athleticism in DD1 made sprinting cost half as much. Now it's a whopping 10% reduction in sprint cost. Almost all other augments seem similarly lacking. 25% reduced stam cost for skills is now 5%. +20% strength is now a flat +30 strength, etc.

Might actually ditch the strength augment for the one that lets you get back up quicker when knocked down, which seems crazy, but unlike drat near everything else the knockdown one at least has a worthwhile number on it (reduces downed duration by 70%)

Vargs fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 25, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GreatGreen posted:

Hopefully you're right and the game gets better and more varied and interesting fairly soon. I'd love to be wrong.

No, one of the categories is "curatives" which is "anything you can consume to improve something" which can be health, can be stamina, can be a debuff cancellation. Or it can include rotten food which will hurt you. It doesn't let you filter down to only good healing items. Might seem pedantic, but it still means that during a fight, you can't just enter inventory > go to menu > pick the first thing available to chug > get back to it. Instead you have to get to the inventory in the middle of a fight and then break the momentum to hunt and peck for what you want. It matters.

I think you should give up, tbh. If you're not liking it for all the weird quirky reasons everyone else does then I don't think it's going to get better for you. I don't think you've made a single post in this thread that hasn't been bitching about something or repeating some dumb poo poo you found on reddit

e: this probably sounds kinda mean but I really do think people shouldn't force themselves to play games that aren't enjoying or actively pissing them off, in your case. I give up on poo poo all the time if I'm not vibing and as a result I spend about 99% of my gaming uptime actually enjoying games

V username/post combo V

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 25, 2024

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

boo I can't romance the Battahli princess, this game sucks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought Ulrika was trying to romance me but she just put me to bed and fled town. Typical.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

That is how I have viewed DD2, is that its like a D&D sandbox where you make your own adventure. Just exploring in this is a lot of fun. The game gives you just enough UI tools to make exploration feel like actual exploration and discovery.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you can't even sleep in that house afterwards. you still have to pay for an inn.

Professor Beetus posted:

V username/post combo V

lol

I usually avoid romance in games at all costs (even in BG3, which took some actual effort to avoid boning without making everyone just hate you), but it's kind of funny in dragons dogma for whatever reason.

in a similar vein I know it's not supposed to be comical but I giggle every time I cook something and it the FMV plays. have you guys tried cooking rotten scrags? it's not great lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Professor Beetus posted:

I think you should give up, tbh. If you're not liking it for all the weird quirky reasons everyone else does then I don't think it's going to get better for you. I don't think you've made a single post in this thread that hasn't been bitching about something or repeating some dumb poo poo you found on reddit

e: this probably sounds kinda mean but I really do think people shouldn't force themselves to play games that aren't enjoying or actively pissing them off, in your case. I give up on poo poo all the time if I'm not vibing and as a result I spend about 99% of my gaming uptime actually enjoying games

V username/post combo V

i like the game but theres a decent amount to bitch about and its worth having those posts alongside the "i love this jank" posts too imo

playing games just to bitch about them is a time honoured SA tradition

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So what's the deal with caves sealed up so you can't break or explode the rocks blocking them off? I entered a tiny doorway in a mountain, fought an ogre in a hilarious hallway battle where it was too fat to do anything but stand there and die, and then couldn't get out either marked exit of the cave after killing a bunch of dudes that tried to kill me.
i think that one is bugged until you reach the capital the first time and it also happened to me. i was exploring too greedily at that point though and kept finding invisible walls where in dd1 seeker tokens would be. have about 35 now and am messing around near sacred arbor but haven't pushed the main quest forward beyond the initial capital stuff

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

What the heck's a roborant anyways? Chewing these drat things down by the dozens but no clue what the heck they actually are.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

you can't even sleep in that house afterwards. you still have to pay for an inn.

lol

I usually avoid romance in games at all costs (even in BG3, which took some actual effort to avoid boning without making everyone just hate you), but it's kind of funny in dragons dogma for whatever reason.

in a similar vein I know it's not supposed to be comical but I giggle every time I cook something and it the FMV plays. have you guys tried cooking rotten scrags? it's not great lol

this elf thought i was hitting on him b/c i did two quests then he showed up outside my house twice asking for an escort quest. one time ok, two i told him to gently caress off then he got upset and left

Infinity Gaia posted:

What the heck's a roborant anyways? Chewing these drat things down by the dozens but no clue what the heck they actually are.

its very boring. its just a medicine. DD always uses weird words for things that are kind of archaic and outdated and i love it tbh

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

"Help my grandson was dragged off by wolves!"

Hell of a kid to get dragged five miles down the road, across a ravine (twice), into a forest, and be entirely unhurt.

Also apparently I'm being stalked, since a quest came up to confront the stalker. But I don't remember ever seeing anybody suspicious. :ohdear:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sloober posted:

this elf thought i was hitting on him b/c i did two quests then he showed up outside my house twice asking for an escort quest. one time ok, two i told him to gently caress off then he got upset and left

some random guardsman dude I thought was cute and I gave gifts to asked me to escort him literally across the entire map (as much as I had explored at the time at least), we get there and a dullahan spawns and the quest immediately fails for some reason, so I threw him in a river.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Also apparently I'm being stalked, since a quest came up to confront the stalker. But I don't remember ever seeing anybody suspicious. :ohdear:

this quest rules because it's like less than 1 minute long if you don't have to spend a lot of time looking for him, but there's still like 4 ways to complete it and you get different rewards.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I appreciate that you can cook the rotten scrags and it's just this small cut of questionable meat. Still gets you a buff, even if it's minimal. And then you cook an aged beefsteak and it's just this huge, mouth watering slab that makes you hungry just thinking about it.

Always use those aged beefsteaks at camp, much better than forgetting and letting them go bad a day later.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it's so good, I really wish they would have done similar with fruits, fish, etc. but I get why they didn't. It's one of those weird little touches that I'll be thinking of whenever I think of this game for a long time

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Sphinx rules. Not only the best design but their quests are fascinating. I've done three right (even though I'm not sure by what metric), failed one (should've looked at the loving name of the puzzle more because only later I realized) and it now hit me what "Parent" is. drat that's so cool

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

re: sphinx, the crazy eyed lean-in with the tense music playing is so good, this is my favorite depiction of one

let me romance the sphinx, capcowards

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I'm liking the combat quite a lot in this game, mostly it just feels like a slightly improved DD1. My personal biggest issue with the game is the same as with monster hunter - your character getting stunned for outrageous amounts of time. It's so annoying to get stunlocked by multiple enemies, or even sometimes by one, and it's also incredibly annoying when my character gets 'dazed' and stumbles around for like 5 seconds, or sometimes when you get knocked down, instead of getting back up quickly you just crawl around for like 10 seconds. It makes the game so annoying to play sometimes, and it's not about difficulty. It's a pretty easy game, almost trivially easy to be honest, with how generous the game's awful healing system is (you can heal at anytime, even while being stunlocked, and even if you have 0 health!). I just find it incredibly annoying to spend 5-10 seconds every once in a while unable to do anything. It's also annoying that the shield-using heavy armor-wearing fighter is by far the most susceptible to this, the other melee classes all have hyper armor, i-frames or invincibility skills that are much more effective than the shield.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
this game is basically identical to the first one, warts and all. i just beat it (true ending) at around 22-23 hours.

it's janky as hell and you're not invested in any of what's going on with regards to the story but it's weird enough that you still want to see what's gonna come next.

the combat is great, obviously. i swapped between fighter/warrior/thief/darth maul and all of them were cool as hell.

the open world is too big and too boring, unfortunately. it feels very same-y to the point where i kinda wish they would've shrunk some of it. it doesn't help that the enemy variety is really lacking, and as someone who's mostly motivated by finding cool new guys to fight, the excitement wore off. so i speed-ran the rest of the main quest which was surprisingly quick. at the end i realised i had missed at least two towns/cities though. the post-game is amazing but it's gonna piss a lot of people off i think.

basically it's the most DD sequel of all time. nice work.

i want a bitterblack isle type expansion for it real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Wolves pinning you down were bad before, but the harpies in the Battahl area inflicting the unconscious state on you are megafuckers. It didn't help that I was playing a warrior, with super slow attacks and almost no counter to flying enemies, so I was constantly just stumbling around in a daze. I was strongly considering swapping out one of my skills for the one that cures statuses, but landing those big attacks is too satisfying to give up