Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Cimber posted:

You seem to think that this is somehow the fault of the Democrats. Did you see my post about my coworker running for school board? Now multiply that by all the people running as democrats in deep red areas in races that actually have national significance.

I wasn’t really blaming the democrats, but I figured they’re the only ones with the motivation to do anything about it, the Republicans certainly don’t and the cops are unlikely to be much help, so…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What if we found some Dem candidates to fake being the craziest MAGA types for a primary cycle and then switch parties after the general

This would only work once, but could be worth it if everyone had their ducks in a row

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
It'd honestly be easier to just spend the time and resources to try and flip difficult seats the normal way than create a farce like that.

On that note, this is the year that A) as many seats as possible need to be flipped, no matter how impossible they seem because B) the rats are fleeing the ship, this is likely the best opportunity to cause upsets since the GOP is tearing itself apart and has several crisis of leadership going at once.

Those "safe" R seats are all extremely difficult battles to even try. But a lot of the existential problems facing the US need supermajorities to fix, so flipping some of those seats is the only way to accomplish that outside of revolution. If there's a year where things could go differently than the norm this is it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Talking farce, I have to wonder how practical it would be to have people run as 'classic Republican' and vote exactly the same as a current Democrat and see if anyone in that wedge demographic would even notice the difference.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Goddamnit, North Carolina. So Michele Morrow was our local Moms for Liberty poo poo candidate (home schooled her kids, has no idea what she's doing, has multiple times publicly asked for the execution of presidents, etc) lost last year in the local school board elections.

But that hasn't stopped her from trying. She's now the GOP candidate for Superintendent of our entire Public School System. She upset the incumbent in primaries.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/politics/kfile-gop-nominee-north-carolina-public-schools-michele-morrow-executing-democrats/index.html

Dems win statewide races in NC routinely. There is a percentage of libertarian/business oriented conservatives that will vote for moderate dem governors and council of state offices to protect their economic interests. If things got too "jesusland" it would hurt their investments. However they will never vote to give dems federal power through the presidency or the senate.

This is why you see NC having D governors and voting for R presidents since forever.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 24, 2024

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bodyholes posted:

Dems win statewide races in NC routinely. There is a percentage of libertarian/business oriented conservatives that will vote for moderate dem governors and council of state offices to protect their economic interests. If things got too "jesusland" it would hurt their investments. However they will never vote to give dems federal power through the presidency or the senate.

This is why you see NC having D governors and voting for R presidents since forever.

The first time Tillis got elected, the Dems had a blank slate guy running who had a decent shot. Then a couple of months before the election his affairs came to light and he got trounced. Someone correctly said that all he had to do to win was do nothing and he couldn't do that right.

Dems, almost universally, are a waste.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is very surprising but also a plus (this race is for Menendez's seat)

https://twitter.com/wildstein/status/1771981599845818731?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is very surprising but also a plus (this race is for Menendez's seat)

https://twitter.com/wildstein/status/1771981599845818731?s=20

my guess is internal polls showed not great things for her and kim is the better canidate. she will try again some other time probably.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rip tammymentum

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

GoutPatrol posted:

rip tammymentum

I am unironically digging those pants

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Jethro posted:

Agreed, definitely good fashion choice there.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Jethro posted:

That was about my only takeaway from the picture, yup.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Important news:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1772084227200164325?s=19

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

lol and lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A state appellate court in NY threw Trump a bone by reducing the amount of bond he will have to put up in order to stop the enforcement of the judgment against him in the fraud case. He now must put up $175 million within 10 days.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1772289496312135830?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
will there be any explanation from the court on what grounds they granted the motion?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Judges don't always have to explain their reasoning when it comes to granting or denying motions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

Judges don't always have to explain their reasoning when it comes to granting or denying motions.

Yeah but if they don't it means it was either extremely obvious or they're dodging stating it

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

A state appellate court in NY threw Trump a bone by reducing the amount of bond he will have to put up in order to stop the enforcement of the judgment against him in the fraud case. He now must put up $175 million within 10 days.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1772289496312135830?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Mother gently caress

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Who knows if he can even raise that much

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Who knows if he can even raise that much

He said he has more than even the $500 million in cash on his social media website, but we don't actually hold rich people accountable for their words or actions in this country so that just got ignored in favor of giving him the rich people Emerald+ Tier justice system treatment. Again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pretty sure that's a lie, because nobody would give him a loan to put money up to appeal this judgment

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

He said he has more than even the $500 million in cash on his social media website, but we don't actually hold rich people accountable for their words or actions in this country so that just got ignored in favor of giving him the rich people Emerald+ Tier justice system treatment. Again.

Yeah, but everyone knows drat well he's lying. Nobody thinks Trump actually has that much cash on hand, and his lawyers presented plenty of evidence to the court regarding their efforts (and failure) to get a bond for the full amount. While the court could punish him for lying on social media, you usually have to piss off a judge quite a bit for them to get that petty.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

He can likely easily raise the money selling his DJT stock when it opens tomorrow

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fart Amplifier posted:

He can likely easily raise the money selling his DJT stock when it opens tomorrow

he can't do anything with his stock for six months after the... I can't remember if it's an ipo but you get the gist

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Goatse James Bond posted:

he can't do anything with his stock for six months after the... I can't remember if it's an ipo but you get the gist

It's not an IPO no, it's being acquired by a legalized fraud vehicle SPAC, which is like an IPO with a "do not open for two years" label on it

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Goatse James Bond posted:

AFAIK the board can waive it immediately. Would like to be wrong.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Fart Amplifier posted:

AFAIK the board can waive it immediately. Would like to be wrong.

They could have the poo poo sued out of them for that if it makes the price drop. Which it would.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

They could have the poo poo sued out of them for that if it makes the price drop. Which it would.

OK, so someone who isnt Donald Trump might be sued. They can still do it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
lol Trump gets his bond casually reduced by $300,000,000+ like it's getting an extra 10 min for lunch

gently caress this country forever.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure that's a lie, because nobody would give him a loan to put money up to appeal this judgment

He probably does have a lot of cash but it's probably pledged as collateral for various loans so he can't also pledge it for this. 175m is still a lot for a bank or insurer or whatever to front and also a lot to scrounge up in liquid cash. It might still be a serious obstacle for him.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Magic Underwear posted:

He probably does have a lot of cash but it's probably pledged as collateral for various loans so he can't also pledge it for this. 175m is still a lot for a bank or insurer or whatever to front and also a lot to scrounge up in liquid cash. It might still be a serious obstacle for him.

With his Truth Social meme stock he's likely about to sell he might end up actually richer than he's ever been

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

lol Trump gets his bond casually reduced by $300,000,000+ like it's getting an extra 10 min for lunch

gently caress this country forever.

$289 million. Also he has 10 more days to pay it now

But this is just the bond, if he loses on appeal he owes the rest of it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

haveblue posted:

$289 million. Also he has 10 more days to pay it now

But this is just the bond, if he loses on appeal he owes the rest of it

It took him like five years to be investigated and charged and found liable, he'll appeal until he's dead

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Fart Amplifier posted:

OK, so someone who isnt Donald Trump might be sued. They can still do it.

People who aren’t Donald Trump actually face consequences so they’re less likely to do it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

if he loses on appeal he owes the rest of it

Yeah and a few hours ago he was required to post a half a billion.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

People who aren’t Donald Trump actually face consequences so they’re less likely to do it.

Trump JR, Linda McMahon, Devin Nunes, and a bunch of Trump stooges are not going to be less likely to do it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I'm not saying it's a nothingburger or the end of the world. I think that bond reduction has been partially done to deprive Trump of the ability to say he didn't get to appeal and lie to people about how he would totally have triumphed on an appellate level.

The whole Truth Social/DWAC situation is tricky. Trump seems to be able to Mr. Magoo his way through life while everyone else suffers, but it definitely looks like a legal minefield if he truly milks the structure to raise the cash ASAP.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-cash-spac-digital-world-dwac-ce4b055545378ab05d52513ffe2d4d4f

quote:

Trump faces a $454 million judgment in a fraud lawsuit, among other financial burdens. But he cannot sell easily for at least six months. That’s because major TMTG shareholders will be under what’s called a “lock-up” provision, a common restriction on Wall Street that keeps big, early investors from immediately dumping their shares. Such sales could tank the stock’s price.

Investors under the lock-up deal cannot sell, lend, donate or encumber their shares for six months after the close of the deal. Legal experts say “encumber” is a powerful word that could prevent Trump from using the stock as collateral to raise cash before six months have elapsed.

There are a few exceptions, such as by transferring stock to immediate family members. But in such cases, the recipients would also have to agree to abide by the lock-up agreement.

[...]

Digital World could waive the lock-up agreement before the deal closes. Or, in what some legal experts say could be a more likely path, the new company’s board could decide to alter the lock-up agreement after the deal closes.

Such a decision by the board could open those directors up to legal scrutiny. They would need to show they’re doing it to benefit shareholders.

But if the value of Trump’s brand is key to the company’s success, and if easing the lock-up agreements could preserve that brand, it could make for a case that would at least spare board members’ lawyers from getting laughed out of court immediately.

Some companies’ boards in the past have altered lock-up agreements to allow investors to sell earlier.

You could see a total free for all with the share price tanking even faster than usual and a bunch of lawsuits coming out of that. Then again, who the hell is investing in DWAC and anything Trump-related anyway?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think that bond reduction has been partially done to deprive Trump of the ability to say he didn't get to appeal

There is no way to deprive Trump of the ability to say this. It was already not true, and he can and probably will still say this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm not saying it's a nothingburger or the end of the world. I think that bond reduction has been partially done to deprive Trump of the ability to say he didn't get to appeal and lie to people about how he would totally have triumphed on an appellate level.

I agree with your overall idea in that the judge may be trying to remove any ability for Trump to further appeal on the ground that he was treated unfairly, but wanted to call out one point for accuracy.

He doesn't need to post bond to appeal. Posting bond just stops his assets from being seized and sold immediately. If he wins his appeal without posting bond, then he simply gets the money that was gained from selling his assets, as opposed to getting back the bond if he posted one.