Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

While I know that Wikipedia is not by any means a reliable source, on a whim I looked at the Chinese towed 155mm.

What's a cargo round? Is that a cluster munition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BearsBearsBears posted:

What's a cargo round?

Bursts open and delivers an energy drink directly into a waiting soldier’s palm.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Bursts open and delivers an energy drink directly into a waiting soldier’s palm.

redbull has gone too far imho

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Delta-Wye posted:

redbull has gone too far imho

It is wild that their F1 team is now called “Red Bull Racing Honda Red Bull Powertrains”

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Red bull is the new Marlboro

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

that deployable burger king opens up and unveils the Whopper ™️ cannon.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

export versions are always underpowered, they put 37.5 mg of caffeine in a 250 ml can of redbull for Turkey.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

stephenthinkpad posted:

their livery sucks imo, nobody beats philip morris

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Always has been

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

mlmp08 posted:

It is wild that their F1 team is now called “Red Bull Racing Honda Red Bull Powertrains”

same energy

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

But he then goes on to say that after German generals talked to them and rewrote their doctrine, they realized that they can definitely win

german generals famously defeated the Soviets in the second world war

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

OctaMurk posted:

german generals famously defeated the Soviets in the second world war

The American inferiority complex after WW2 is one of the stranger things in recent history. It’s like an even more deranged version of Roman Philhellenism following the Macedonian Wars, but … replacing the legions with the phalanx as well?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The American inferiority complex after WW2 is one of the stranger things in recent history. It’s like an even more deranged version of Roman Philhellenism following the Macedonian Wars, but … replacing the legions with the phalanx as well?

The US can't help but empathize with a nice white supremacist Lost Cause, and the soviets were always the strategic foe since they fall into that doesn't-count-as-european asiatic hordes trope that the US has been in love with since like 1820

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If CIA was around a couple decades earlier, they probably would have assassinated FDR and made Truman give lend-lease to Germany instead of Soviet.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

If CIA was around a couple decades earlier, they probably would have assassinated FDR and made Truman give lend-lease to Germany instead of Soviet.

well Prescott bush was involved with the 1933 business plot to assassinate fdr. and possibly the dulles brothers. and the morgans and du ponts. basically everyone who would go on to be in the cia

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
how sure are we that he wasnt murdered? i mean the way they got wallace replaced with truman it kind of looks like the fix was in

a couple more years alive and bretton woods goes a whole other way

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

they hit fdr with the polio gun

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

fanfic insert posted:

how sure are we that he wasnt murdered? i mean the way they got wallace replaced with truman it kind of looks like the fix was in

a couple more years alive and bretton woods goes a whole other way

I think they genuinely didn't know about blood pressure or whatever.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I've been watching some Cold War era American and British videos about the Soviet military. They all show a deep respect for their capabilities.

But, talking to people, it's a very common refrain these days that Soviets would have been easy to defeat. When I mention that this wasn't the view at the time, most people respond with either "the US always exaggerates the threats it faces to get more money" or "the weapons manufacturers always exaggerate the threat to get more money".*

Somehow, though, none of those people seem to think that the MIC has any influence on anything. Certainly not on wars or policy or the state of the military. ???

Bringing it back to WW3, this is also the reaction to US military papers about how they will lose WW3, as well as the reaction to the US navy talking about how much bigger and more modern the Chinese navy is. All, apparently, just... bullshit. Foreign militaries are a paper tiger, their weapons and equipment useless and often outright fake. The US is invincible, and likes to pretend it isn't. :psyduck:

It's such a weird contrast to Cold War videos that I find it fascinating.

*Funny bit about that. The quite good Cold War Conversations podcast at one point had a BAOR officer. He talked about how prior to the 80s, British troops were explicitly told they were only a tripwire: their purpose was to die and thus trigger a British nuclear retaliation. Now, obviously, that isn't great for morale. But he then goes on to say that after German generals talked to them and rewrote their doctrine, they realized that they can definitely win, and Yom Kippur convinced him totally that they would would be able to win easily when outnumbered 14:1. At that point, he decided Soviet capabilities were simply marketing by Western weapons companies.

Yeah, I bring up China's shipbuilding capabilities vs. ours with my neolib friends and they just write it off as MIC posturing. I mean, it's kind of true, but A. You've just admitted the government is totally beholden to private interest like this and B. That still doesn't solve the problem that China actually has more and better shipyards than we do. The answer is of course "technology advantage", which lol ok sure, but in a war of attrition that only gets you so far and you can't just replace a ship like you can an infantry formation. Sunk is sunk, mission kill means they sit in port for years because there isn't capacity go around. You're also planning on doing this war on their turf.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’m pretty sure for every battle you have your workers just start collecting more resources and build a shipyard right next to the battle space

source: that gamer gen z guy who got really into war stuff because of the streaming revenue

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

we have almost a century of fighting the last war built into the current fleet. a US shooting war with china would likely blow some assumptions away immediately. either fleet defenses work or they don’t Either china can achieve enough sea and air superiority to support a landing or they can’t. we’ll find that out very quickly. my feeling is they can’t but the damage they can inflict on the surface fleet is significant enough to completely change naval warfare forever like Pearl Harbor and Midway did.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
lmao forever @ liberals becoming so divorced from reality that they've convinced themselves that military shipbuilding has nothing to do with shipyards

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
just go down to the aircraft carrier store to pick up a new one, bing bong so simple

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ben Shapiro walking out of Ship Depot with one aircraft carrier sticking out of his plastic bag

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, I bring up China's shipbuilding capabilities vs. ours with my neolib friends and they just write it off as MIC posturing. I mean, it's kind of true, but A. You've just admitted the government is totally beholden to private interest like this and B. That still doesn't solve the problem that China actually has more and better shipyards than we do. The answer is of course "technology advantage", which lol ok sure, but in a war of attrition that only gets you so far and you can't just replace a ship like you can an infantry formation. Sunk is sunk, mission kill means they sit in port for years because there isn't capacity go around. You're also planning on doing this war on their turf.

Just add AI to the drydocks, that will fix everything. That's why NVidia's market cap can buy China's whole stock market.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

my 50 year old technologically advanced aircraft carrier

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cerebral Bore posted:

just go down to the aircraft carrier store to pick up a new one, bing bong so simple

I would say the problem is even more fundamental, though that's a funny part of it.

"A ship's a fool to fight a fort" means that no amount of carriers hanging out within range of Chinese land-based aircraft is going to come out on top. If China wanted to fight in the middle of the Pacific, maybe the USN has their day, but America is not going to be able to just sit off the coast of China and hope that 6 carriers somehow put up more sorties than 30 airbases, or however many are within range.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Mar 25, 2024

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Hatebag posted:

well Prescott bush was involved with the 1933 business plot to assassinate fdr. and possibly the dulles brothers. and the morgans and du ponts. basically everyone who would go on to be in the cia

There's a story about the director of IG Farben meeting with Dulles on multiple occasions to tell him about the Holocaust and Dulles just never passing that on.

Didn't Dulles' son once say in an interview "My father was a German spy" with the interviewer trying to move on, like twice in the same interview?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

skooma512 posted:

That's the other thing! The US navy keeps telling people the Chinese navy is far more modern, but Westerners are still absolutely convinced of massive technological superiority.

I genuinely think that the average Westerner thinks they are at least 100 years ahead of everyone else, and also that this works like a Civ tech tree.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

That's the other thing! The US navy keeps telling people the Chinese navy is far more modern, but Westerners are still absolutely convinced of massive technological superiority.

I genuinely think that the average Westerner thinks they are at least 100 years ahead of everyone else, and also that this works like a Civ tech tree.

I would say this is even more fundamental. They think it's 1894.

Of course, even if the PLAN dressed like that, today, they would still come out on top.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

There's a story about the director of IG Farben meeting with Dulles on multiple occasions to tell him about the Holocaust and Dulles just never passing that on.

Didn't Dulles' son once say in an interview "My father was a German spy" with the interviewer trying to move on, like twice in the same interview?

lol i never heard of that interview. appears to be this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...RbcubnyhwajpQTz
i don't have time to read it right now but lol it's on the first page

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For the last goddamn time China is not forcing a landing, they will never do an amphibious invasion of Taiwan, it's totally pointless

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

they will and it'll also work out great

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I dunno why everyone is obsessed with a hot war with China, when China can collapse the US at any point by simply not shipping poo poo to the US. There aren't many US industries that aren't dependent on Chinese supplies, materials, or tools to continue to operate, at least at some point in their supply chain. And almost every piece of consumer poo poo would disappear from store shelves.

Covid showed just how addicted to treats America is, and that would be a sudden stop to almost every treat, at every level. It would be actual chaos from mass lay offs, empty stores, and shortages in everything, including food.

The fact that a hot war would also come with this just makes it even funnier to contemplate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's also exactly what they could do to Taiwan

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Last time when there was a large naval battle spotting the enemy carrier position was like the most critical thing. Nowadays you can spot ships from satellite, and you can send large drones to the sea that can fly for 30+ hours. You can't hide carrier group in the sea anymore.

jetz0r posted:

I dunno why everyone is obsessed with a hot war with China, when China can collapse the US at any point by simply not shipping poo poo to the US. There aren't many US industries that aren't dependent on Chinese supplies, materials, or tools to continue to operate, at least at some point in their supply chain. And almost every piece of consumer poo poo would disappear from store shelves.

Covid showed just how addicted to treats America is, and that would be a sudden stop to almost every treat, at every level. It would be actual chaos from mass lay offs, empty stores, and shortages in everything, including food.

The fact that a hot war would also come with this just makes it even funnier to contemplate.

I think that would be China's plan was if the war took place in the 00s and there was no GWOT.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Mar 25, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think that would be China's plan was if the war took place in the 00s and there was no GWOT.

yeah these days all they have to do is wait for the us to do itself in

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
that said i would caution chinese companies to not get addicted to cheap american labor

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

china desperately scrambling to stave off the collapse of the US because it would be a humanitarian crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stumblebum
May 8, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cerebral Bore posted:

lmao forever @ liberals becoming so divorced from reality that they've convinced themselves that military shipbuilding has nothing to do with shipyards
liberals are so divorced from reality that they become genuinely confused and/or upset at the suggestion that capitalist firms' first and last priority are seeking to maximize profitability