Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/eiichiro_staff/status/1772277346084798879?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I am officially rooting against the Red Sox now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’m sorry, One Piece, but you are now my enemy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Red Sox becoming an anime dude actually feels right for some reason.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

The Red Sox becoming an anime dude actually feels right for some reason.

better than trying to win games i guess

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1772300489419333647

Really dumb, this guy's gonna hit a ton of HR's and he might as well hit them off the bench/at DH at Wrigley than waste them all in Iowa. This is to carry who instead, loving Miles Mastrobuoni? Get out outta here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/status/1772312587088097493

Get you someone who loves you as much as Brian Cashman loves signing bad contracts and they throwing away AB's and wins by relying on players with bad contracts.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1772300489419333647

Really dumb, this guy's gonna hit a ton of HR's and he might as well hit them off the bench/at DH at Wrigley than waste them all in Iowa. This is to carry who instead, loving Miles Mastrobuoni? Get out outta here.

Don’t love this. Do we know how we’re getting Cooper on the 40, too?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

This is a "get butts in the seats for when we are eliminated from playoff contention" promo

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What a joke

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1772315413550088400?s=19

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not exactly surprised but hes definitely not doing himself any favors with this mess.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
How can he answer questions without an interpreter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

He's overhandled and micromanaged.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

He's overhandled and micromanaged.

Well he is a pitcher in Today's MLB so...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Why does he need to give the media anything in the first place, it should just be his lawyer out there talking TBH

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just discovered second game of the season will be on Apple TV. Now I'm all mad.

Nodoze posted:

Why does he need to give the media anything in the first place, it should just be his lawyer out there talking TBH

He probably shouldn't. But calling a press conference and then seeming like you're evading questions just seems like the wrong answer. Its a PR game and his people have done a bad job.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

You’re high if you think taking questions about a possible federal investigation through an interpreter at a press conference is a thing any human would do.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

You’re high if you think taking questions about a possible federal investigation through an interpreter at a press conference is a thing any human would do.

Yes exactly, he should not be answering any questions because even if all he did was pay his friends debt he could be in legal trouble.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ohtani will conclude this presser by turning himself in to the federal agents silently accompanying him at the podium.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Poque posted:

Ohtani will conclude this presser by turning himself in to the federal agents silently accompanying him at the podium.

"I am the Batman."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I was Ippei all along

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Just discovered second game of the season will be on Apple TV. Now I'm all mad.

:pirate:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Popete posted:

I was Ippei all along

AW SON OF A BITCH!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Popete posted:

I was Ippei all along

lol

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Predicting that he announces he is retiring from the game of baseball to pursue his true passion, playing rocket league.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ohtani will dedicate his life to speed running and by AGDQ 2025 will be running five games, all of which he's already set WR's in.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Predicting that he announces he is retiring from the game of baseball to pursue his true passion, rooting for the Chicago Cubs.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

He probably shouldn't. But calling a press conference and then seeming like you're evading questions just seems like the wrong answer. Its a PR game and his people have done a bad job.
What? It is the bog standard response for someone in his position. Call a press conference and read a prepared statement that your very expensive and competent legal team has crafted for you. Then shut the gently caress up and do not comment on it at all. It's what he should have done at first, the screw up was his people letting Ippei talk to ESPN alone for 90 minutes last week, then issuing statements that apparently were not vetted by his legal team.

What wildly famous person that is embroiled in a scandal with potential legal ramifications like this have you ever known to call a press conference and take questions? That'd be incredibly stupid. Were you seriously expecting that??

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

What wildly famous person that is embroiled in a scandal with potential legal ramifications like this have you ever known to call a press conference and take questions? That'd be incredibly stupid. Were you seriously expecting that??

Not to mention the language barrier. Imagine trying to field questions in your second language with prison time on the line. No thanks.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

He will then remove his mask to reveal himself as Tom Brady signing up for BetMGM using Shohei’s identity

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bawfuls posted:

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not exactly surprised but hes definitely not doing himself any favors with this mess.

No I didn't expect him to come out an answer a bunch of questions about it. But it seems like a bad PR move for him to personally release a statement in such a way that will just extend the narrative that "Ohtani isn't talking." He shouldn't talk. Or he should have talked last week. But the narrative has been set and its not gonna go away but that doesn't mean you have to feed it 3 days before the start of the season.

I just fail to see what positive comes out of this.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Why does personally releasing a statement (normal thing to do in this situation) extend that narrative that he's not talking?

What could he do that isn't legally stupid to NOT extend that narrative, in your mind?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It depends entirely on what he says. "I made a mistake and am working entirely with the authorities" will go a long way for most people, I bet.

Dude isn't Trevor Bauer. He's not going out guns blazing or anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the mistakes were made last week and since he can't go back and fix those it would probably just be best to say nothing about it or leave it to his lawyers or something. There hasn't been a huge thing about him speaking personally and the season is about to start so people will move on. The story itself isn't gonna go away but Ohtani's just gonna make it the main story for another day or two and I don't see what will be accomplished by that. I doubt he's gonna come out and reveal some details that convince people he did nothing sketchy. He's probably not gonna offer a mea culpa. A big denial also seems unlikely. It sounds like he'll just kind of rehash what we already know. Which I dunno. Doesn't seem worth it.

Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see I guess. But I feel like general rule of thumb is you shouldn't make a statement unless you have something worth saying.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

oh my god

Shohei Ohtani rails against media, claims bias due to his "strong support for Donald Trump"

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Good health news about a pitcher, for a change: Gausman's shoulder looks just fine. 7 Ks in three innings today.

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1772314506254844408

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

It depends entirely on what he says. "I made a mistake and am working entirely with the authorities" will go a long way for most people, I bet.

Dude isn't Trevor Bauer. He's not going out guns blazing or anything.
He's not going to say "I made a mistake" unless it's like "I made a mistake in trusting Ippei" because there are open legal issues and his lawyers are not going to let him say anything that could be used against him in court.

STAC Goat posted:

I think the mistakes were made last week and since he can't go back and fix those it would probably just be best to say nothing about it or leave it to his lawyers or something. There hasn't been a huge thing about him speaking personally and the season is about to start so people will move on. The story itself isn't gonna go away but Ohtani's just gonna make it the main story for another day or two and I don't see what will be accomplished by that. I doubt he's gonna come out and reveal some details that convince people he did nothing sketchy. He's probably not gonna offer a mea culpa. A big denial also seems unlikely. It sounds like he'll just kind of rehash what we already know. Which I dunno. Doesn't seem worth it.

Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see I guess. But I feel like general rule of thumb is you shouldn't make a statement unless you have something worth saying.
That's what he's doing. His lawyers almost certainly crafted whatever statement he is going to read today. He will personally read it because that's like PR 101.

I agree his people clearly hosed up last week. They are now doing the standard stuff, so it's weird to object to it at this point.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 25, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

In Cubsnews, WesNasty was the wrong kind of nasty and will open up in AAA.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

bawfuls posted:

What? It is the bog standard response for someone in his position. Call a press conference and read a prepared statement that your very expensive and competent legal team has crafted for you. Then shut the gently caress up and do not comment on it at all. It's what he should have done at first, the screw up was his people letting Ippei talk to ESPN alone for 90 minutes last week, then issuing statements that apparently were not vetted by his legal team.

Ippei didn't actually talk to ESPN alone. A crisis PR rep for Ohtani arranged and attended Ippei's disastrous call. That's a 'time to find a new career' move. What the gently caress were they thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shohei releases long statement detailing his bad beats on complex ncaa tournament parlays. "I just needed Texas to hang on," Ohtani said adding "James Madison couldn't even cover?"